View Single Post
Old 02-27-2020, 08:27 PM   #7072
KroniK907
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Yes, are you saying you would be happy to use it without the transport operational ?

If so, sure -- the values you see are typical Mackie Control protocol, except b0 instead of e0.

B0 means fader 1 -- the rest is 2 7 bit values that are translated to a 14 bit value, very standard.

You can make up an .mst file using the values you capture in that Window (don't forget to use cut and paste to avoid errors) -- just make a very simple one at first, then hook it up to a simple .zon file and you're on your way

Take a look at exiting .mst and .zon files for examples and be sure to read the wiki - https://github.com/malcolmgroves/reaper_csi/wiki

Any questions, ask way, pretty friendly bunch around here
Yes, I don't care about transport as its just a digital screen with a play and pause button anyway. Might as well use the DAW.

b0 is not the fader number, it is the midi channel. The last byte of the first message identifies the channel number (in this case 20 = channel 1). The 2nd set designates the function (in this case 17 identifies that we are targeting a fader). the 3rd set gives the value that the fader is at (from 00 to 7f). The 4th is apparently useful for some of the other controls to designate things like mix outputs or something.

The Mackie "DAW Control" is extremely limited on this board. All I get from it is 16 fader strips (with mute, select, pafl buttons). Thats it. None of the rest of the knobs etc can be used with the "DAW Control" system. Plus I only get a single page of faders. If I use the full system, I can use almost every knob and button on the board, even if it is also tweaking the built-in EQ, comp, etc on the board. But for mixing purposes, I dont care if the EQ for channel 1 is all crazy from using the knobs to control the daw rather than the EQ in the board. I can just load up my actual recording scene on the board and use it like it was intended, and then load up a DAW scene where nothing built into the board actually matters to me.

Its definitely not an ideal situation, and I wish A&H had put more thought and effort into making the full board usable with a DAW but this option allows me to get much more comprehensive use out of it than just 16 fader strips, and while kinda hacky, should work for what I want to do.

As far as I can tell, the MIDI stuff is designed to allow something like a SMPTE system to control the board programatically rather than manually mixing, or something similar but where the mixer can send the messages to trigger smpte events. Something like that. But since it allows me to see what the board is doing, I can use it to control the daw. Again its clearly not designed for this but since it exists, it should be doable.

Last edited by KroniK907; 02-27-2020 at 09:17 PM.
KroniK907 is offline   Reply With Quote