View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #154
reapercurious
Human being with feelings

Default how bout a sticky?

all due respect.

i guess you are interested in being a music historian or re-enacter? i still have to say, keep writing music/making art. also, it doesnt seem necessary to have so many synths. one synth such as synth1 can keep a musician busy for the rest of their life. best to learn how to make one synth do a million things than collect a million synths that have one useful preset each. the bulk of synths can be tweaked in such a manner that they sound quite similar if not identical to one another. i will reserve FM synthesis as an exception to this, because they take a different type of approach to program, and the method/effect of synthesis seems fundamentally different to any other kind.

most synths i've looked at (and i've looked at almost all of them) are 90% a chain of effects. when picking a synth, the most important aspects to me seem to be the oscillators (especially lfo's and their routing options,) envelopes and portamento. host syncable effects usually suffice, and can be added after the synth for most applications.

there are a copious amount of synths and effects that are free, and certainly can be put together to equal anything you might 'hear on the radio.' this takes skill and confidence, but a burning desire to create can be argued to be prerequisite to skill.

not trying to /thread, a freeware sticky would be nice, but i wouldnt want to read through this whole topic in order to look at such a list. for me, the most interesting part about this thread was that prospect, but the information (links and sugg's)seems super redundant. further, im not sure if its vibey of me to say an opinion that sounds critical or if i am giving the nature of the topic what it wants, so i apologize if my thoughts come off prickish.

i am 'all for' a freeware vsti/vst sticky (categorically organized) if the o.p. or anybody should care to endeavor.

best to everybody!
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote