View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 07:00 AM   #158
technogremlin
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post
i left the filter out, because a filter isnt a synthesizer its an effect, and i have been able to use filters or eq's after a synth to get the effect i want. syncing is a challenge but it can be done with sidechaining or other tricks, which can be more fun than hoping a single vsti will do everything for me. especially with state of the art automation and host modulation capabilities. reaper, for example, has more capabilities for sound synthesis than any single synth i am aware of.
We are not trying to slap you or anything, but before you start preaching it could be useful to check out the choir first Between Bladerunner, some other participants here in this topic and myself there is probably more then a hundred years of experience in programming and using synthesizers

Oh, and did I mention that I build my first synthesizer myself... and my first analog vocoder, and a stepsequencer, and, and......(I'm talking hardware here, not software)

Again, in the quoted part above, you make statements that are simply not correct. If it is just 'your view' then that view is not correct. The filter in a synthesizer isn't an effect, it's an integral part of the sound-engine. There is a big difference between the filter in a synth and a filter-effect simply because they operate in a different domain. For example: I can create a moog-type lead with many synthesizers but if you slap a filter-effect onto a hammond you wil never get that sound. Simply because a synth-filter has a different interaction with the notes played. Also, even the place of the filter in the signal-chain of a synth is making a big difference in how it (can) sound.
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote