View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #39
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
MN, can you describe these problem, in detail?
I just had BSOD's as soon as I hit 2GB back in my XP days so I jumped to Win7 64bit and started using REAPER 64bit as well. I kept a REAPER 32bit installation in my system because REAPER 64bit didn't play nice with video stuff so I did all my work for video there. Last year Cockos fixed some of those video problems in REAPER 64bit and I stopped using REAPER 32bit completely. About 2 or 3 months ago I started using REAPER 32bit again for smaller projects, just to avoid the bridging of some Waves plug-ins (they work flawlessly with the bridge but since I used them a lot I hated the floating windows all over the place... and I don't like to embed the UI because that could be problematic with some plug-ins). Anyways, it started happening again: as soon as I hit 2GB, boom, BSOD... I think it was my HDD because it died on me two weeks ago (maybe the pagefile was corrupted or something). The good news is REAPER 32bit isn't causing BSOD's anymore here under Win7 64bit after hitting 2GB so I guess it was just my bad luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
It's my understanding that under Win7-64, each PROCESS can use up to 2 GB, and don't the plugins run as a separate process from both Reaper and the main OS? (Hmm, maybe I should enable "run plugins as separate processes" ???) Task manager never shows more than 2.5 GB used by "Reaper" total. Is it possible (with Reaper x86) to get occasional ram-use peaks, so sever as to cause a crash?
No, each process in Win7 64bit can use way more than 2GB. That was just the case under 32bit. In REAPER 32bit you can run 64bit plug-ins in their own process or viceversa (run 32bit plug-ins in REAPER 64bit in their process). This will depend on your needs. For example, by default, in REAPER 64bit, all 32bit plug-ins are run in a common process but you can make specific plug-ins to run in dedicated processes (some people do this with Bootsy plug-ins because they are problematic). My suggestions:

If you're running REAPER 32bit: run RAM hogs or problematic plug-ins in dedicated processes

If you're running REAPER 64bit: run problematic plug-ins in dedicated processes