View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #13
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
yeah, I just thought it was a cool build.

My brain is just likes to imagine cool things like total from scratch builds and community help with sourcing parts. I'm not good at reading schematics, but I am VERY good at finding parts sources. I've even got free parts (that normally require orders of 500+) by bullshitting them and saying I'm prototyping a new product and am testing out various component options.

Perhaps you could source the important and difficult parts in building one of these. There's still a lot of labour involved though.
Interestingly, the case Neve1073lover used for his build is the EXACT same case I used to build a custom preamp I built for a friend for location recording in surround. The unit I designed and built for him had phantom power, five channels of preamps, headphone monitoring and PFL circuits for the headphone output and Dolby ProLogic surround encoding with a stereo output for his DAT machine. It also had inserts and direct outs too.
I designed and built that for him fifteen years ago and he still uses it. We've actually recorded quite a few live albums with that setup although these days the DAT machine has been replaced with a laptop.

I'm working with him on a soundtrack for a documentary next week so I might see if I can get some photo's of that preamp and post them here.