View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #41
serr
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
@serr - Some of the top/most mission-critical audio software is either Windows only, or started there ... Pyramix, Sadie and Sequoia. Cedar Cambridge runs on a tricked-out Windows system. Audio Precision solutions and Prism Sound's dScope control software is Windows only.

Then there's Samplitude (will be available for OSX by the end of the year apparently), Wavelab (only very recently available for OSX, on which it's kind of rough around the edges).

Then there's Reaper, which is better on Windows ...

And this is from a life-time OSX user
I guess I'll have to try some of your mission critical software then! Lucky me that it will simply install and run in OSX.

I don't think the Win version of Reaper runs better from the comments I read on this forum. But I do sense a way above normal level of stability for Win users. I have recommended it to a few Win users I know and they were very happy. First time they were able to do any audio work successfully on their Win machines.

Again, if I was starting over I just might consider a Windows system today. Things are a LOT closer than they used to be there's no doubt. But if you look at the hardware available and compare features you still find certain professional products from Apple competitive. No one else makes a laptop to these specs for example.

I agree that their consumer products are expensive and silly. Some of their apps are very un-apple like (Logic Audio Hell for one). The app store is an epic fail. The watered down OSX for the mobile devices (iOS) is an epic fail. 10.7 had glaring bugs and they just abandoned it - first time I've seen that...
Hence my comment that they need to get back on their game if they want to keep their professional market.

I really see things going more towards the open source direction (Linux) and I think Reaper would fit well in that camp.

I will say the concept of the Mac Mini is interesting.
Need more processing power? Just plug another Mac Mini in via thunderbolt and cluster them for parallel processing.

We'll see what happens.
Everyone should examine their needs carefully and purchase equipment accordingly. For me, the Mac is still the most efficient option. At the moment.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote