View Single Post
Old 09-09-2018, 09:16 AM   #53
audiojunkie
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by korakios View Post
@audiojunkie it was very interesting reading that you also have touchscreen.
I am about to go for gnome 3 exactly for that reason . Beside the wine issues , where there any other bugs with audio native applications? (Did you had KXStudio repos enabled?)
Haven’t tried gnome since ages ....

Xfce (on AVLinux) seems for me the best ,it’s fast/light but highly customizable and very nice. But for sure no touch friendly....

I also have kde neon with plasma installed , it seems stable (at last!) ,somehow faster than previous kde plasma versions and beautiful , plus you can customize stuff a bit for better touch experience . But when I switch to Xfce and click on something , boom , it’s on your face (well screen) immediately...
There weren't really any bugs or problems. My frustrations have been more with the Gnome 3 interface dumbing things down to the point to where it gets to be a pain, if that makes sense. For example, because Gnome3 assumes you will always use repositories, there is no built in way to create your own launchers. You have to create/edit a config file with 10 lines of info. Yes, I know that there's nothing to that, but as advanced as Gnome is, Gnome should have a better way implemented to do that.

Even worse, All apps are thrown together in one big mess of applications. If it's not a favorite, frequently used or if you can't remember the name of the app, then you have to go searching through pages upon pages of apps to find the icon for the app you want to use. Yes, there is a workaround for grouping apps, and yes there is an extension that allows you to have everything show up in a menu at the top, but if you are going to use a menu at the top, then why not use something like XFCE? There needs to be a way to group apps better in Gnome3 so that it works more efficiently. These are the two nitpicks that bother me about Gnome3. I know it isn't much, and I know that there are perfectly workable solutions (workarounds) to my complaints, but it's the overall philosophy behind Gnome3 that bugs me the most.

Their attempts to simplify things for users ends up in many cases creating more work for the user--thus not truly simplifying things, but rather making things harder. I hope that makes sense. :-) Other than that, it's a fine Desktop Environment. :-)

Edit: WINE hasn't really given me any problems. I haven't dug too much into WINE yet--I'm still learning. You may be referring to my XWayland concerns?

KXStudio works fine for me! :-)

As I mentioned above, my frustrations that I had when I started this thread were more with the Gnome3 philosophy--it seems they sometimes take it too far, and "throw the baby out with the bathwater". They go so far in their attempts to make things easier, that they actually make things harder. I was really frustrated the day that I started this thread. I've since had time to cool off and think about things. Gnome3 is a good OS. I DO think they go too far with their philosophy, but my complaints are minimal with the DE, really. I do like it, except for some dumb omissions the developers chose to make in the name of keeping it simple. :-)

Last edited by audiojunkie; 09-09-2018 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Forgot to answer some questions
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote