View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #446
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
As a long term reaper user this thread makes me a little uncomfortable. Reaper already is one of the most complex DAW's to get going with and even as a user of 4 years this looks like V4 will bring another huge learning curve.

MC
I'm actually obsessively working on a more user friendly default setup for noobs with the more advanced features a bit hidden so as not to overwhelm, but still easy to find for those know how to use them. got some people who want to learn reaper but they would give up immediately with the current defaults. trying to make it as intuitive as possible and balance keeping choices and options minimal, while providing necessary redundancy to accommodate different expectations (having the same action easily findable from several different approaches---essentially, right clicking, menu diving and keyboard commands).

i could never agree with such arguments against adding powerful customization features or options. the key is just keeping them hidden from the casual user, but accessible to those who know what they are doing. so that's essentially what i'm trying to improve on. i'll likely be needing some feedback at some point on whether i am successful or whether i overlooked the importance of some useful feature i never bothered with at some point, so i'll be posting it fairly soon hopefully... but no need to dumb down for the masses like ableton. just be very organized.

i actually encountered this same response from one of the samplitude devs when i tried to suggest ways to make the customization there more complete. at least here i can just do it myself!