View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 12:09 PM   #1
henrys_cat
Human being with feelings

Default Simple sample randomization in items

Description:
I work with game audio and often want to try out layering multiple samples layers in Reaper where I will have lots of sample variations in each layer - e.g. footsteps where you might have a shoe element and a surface element that you want to play in sync.

I'd like it if I could effectively drop in multiple samples in a single item and have the item randomize the sample it plays when it's hit.

I can currently achieve this using multiple takes and randomly selecting one each time I play back the audio (and could write a script to do this), but it's a little messy, plus samples of different lengths cause issues (turning off Loop source solves, but needs to be done a lot) and it wouldn't stop the same samples being selected repeatedly if used multiple times in the same project.

I've also created a random sampler driven by midi using Reaktor, but it feels like overkill for my needs, plus setting up the sample map is somewhat convoluted. Additionally you need a track for each sample type.

Potentially having an option on media items that allows the user to randomize the selected take as the item is played back would work here, but for this to be ideal, the user should be able to have multiple instances of the item and it would choose a different variant for each so the user doesn't hear the same sample back to back - potentially adding options for sequentially selecting samples versus shuffling would be great too.

Benefit:
This feature would allow simple sample randomization which can be really helpful for sound design uses when you want to make sure a series of assets play nicely together.

Reason:
This would improve my workflows in Reaper significantly, and I think would be an extremely helpful addition for anyone developing assets for use with games.

Implementation Suggestion:
Ideally I'd love it if this was a simple extension of media items, but I'd be happy with any implementation that makes this easier (and equally, if I'm being an idiot and this already exists, then I'd love for someone to tell me how to do it!)
henrys_cat is offline   Reply With Quote