View Single Post
Old 11-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #47
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I look at bridging Windows plugins to Linux much as I looked at bridging 32 bit plugins when I went to 64 bit Windows. It let me keep using my plugins so I could find 64 bit replacements at my leisure, not having to worry about having no plugins to work with.

Switching it Linux did however remind me that I used to make music with no problems, using nothing more than a single DBX160, a Roland Space Echo, and an Alesis MidiVerb for effects. I'm pretty confident that I could make decent sounding recordings using nothing but good miking techniques, and decent playing as well.
Yeah I used to record on a cassette-based 4-track, and using one of those tracks to sync to MIDI for a drum machine. I managed to make good recordings. And using Cakewalk Home Studio 4 on my first PC, despite not being able to run any realtime plugins (and the fact the software was buggy to the point of crashing Windows every so often), using it as a glorified "tape deck", I managed to make an excellent-sounding recording of a friend's band.

I got spoiled over the years, and when I finally looked with a critical eye at what I was considering important for plugins, it hit me that I still didn't really know how to use a compressor (I mean to truly understand it, for all kinds of dynamics). Once I spent time learning that (and also better practise for recording, EQing, etc., which all came along with it), it opened my eyes. I could delete most of my plugins and it wouldn't even matter. That's when all my 32-bit plugins got deleted permanently.

Since then I've known if I don't get a good recording/mix, it's because of me and not because what plugins I'm using.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote