View Single Post
Old 02-21-2021, 06:50 AM   #13
Stu
Human being with feelings

I’ve been thinking about this thread a bit and kind of came to a conclusion - my wife used to be a Chef running a kitchen, and would obviously keep all the ingredients in stock she needed to make the items on the current menu. Her collection of herbs and spices however was far more comprehensive and would allow her to adapt things easily or make special dishes whenever she needed to.

Plugins are tools obviously, probably better compared to the kitchen equipment in a cooking analogy, however you can also think of them as herbs and spices - especially if you are mixing music for other people and you can’t always anticipate what a situation will call for. Sometimes an algorithmic reverb will be the best choice, other times a convolution might be more appropriate. I’ve often found it useful to have a more esoteric reverb for special effects, so we are at 3 plugins just with reverb already. It’s easy to see how a plugin folder can grow quite large in this way, and probably important for people to keep things organised.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote