View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 07:30 PM   #4
SymboliC
Human being with feelings

A working link would be better to identify the problem. It's pretty much subjective. Maybe you're doing it as good as it can get and many advices here would be useless to improve the result.

Music and "arranging" are pretty much related to creating illusion/perception and subtle changes make big differences in the big picture when you layer things up.

Same for every genre of music. You wether call it a drop/tension/relief/chorus/verse etc... From a composer and arranger's POV if you plan the order of sections cleverly, it will shine itself. The rest is EQ, compression tweaks etc.

If you want to emphasize a part or make it stand out, decrease the power of the rest. This can either be accomplished via, EQ, compression, Chord progression etc.

Examine verse/chorus relationship in the songs.

Those are just theoritical things to keep in mind not knowing what kind of a material you came up with since we can't hear it.

From technical side of things, higher frequencies tend to create a louder image compared to lower frequencies. If you want to create that powerful shot with the lowest freq in your spectrum then previous section's overall volume & freq combination shouldn't top it.

Fundamental EQ'ing would help you get started. Cutting of unnecessary parts to create room for the overall mix so that your composition/arranging wouldn't all be left in the middle of a war where instruments battle each other.

There are many tricks...
Like employing different/out-of-genre elements/ideas gently to stengthen the overall structure. As an example, you can throw a real lower piano note which is barely heard as a layer below the guitars in a metal music track to make it feel stronger in the lower freq'd parts.
I know this is not related to EDM at all but you get the idea.

These are just my thoughts as a listener and intermediate music producer. I'm nowhere a professional so you can just skip the above thoughts if you've already passed those phases.