View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 11:11 AM   #14
kindafishy
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I haven't listened to the updated version but I noticed in the previous version that the vocal was a little buried. However, the first thing that occurred to me was the vocal and guitar were pretty much dead center. So, if there are two guitars, pan them out a tad (like 10 and 2 o'clock) or if one, to the left or right a tad should automatically make the vocal easier to hear. I would prioritize that over a perfect L/R balance.

Mainly because they are in the same spot in the stereo field and contain similar frequency ranges making them fight each other (assuming I didn't do something silly like listen in mono without realizing it which has happened before).
Indeed they are both dead center. I generally don't double track guitars. Partially because I prefer the sound of a single guitar but mostly because I play so loosely that I find it difficult to double and maintain a feel I like. It gets too stodgy if I try to be tight.

With the updated mix I did try to move the vocals more to the front and refocused the frequency of the guitar so it's a bit lower. I think it helped, but I am open to moving it a bit out to the side as a next move if that wasn't enough. Fully agree with you on what should be the priority.
kindafishy is online now   Reply With Quote