View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 09:43 AM   #19
kirk1701
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
PPM is a bit of a mess to deal with, just because there are so many types and scales and they are measuring even different things in different amount of times.

Peak Program Meters can measure sample peak (for example the meter in reaper is a SPPM, S stands for "sample") or they can meausure the maximum audio peak in "a certain amount of time", they can even respond to True Peak...

Sadly enough, while in digital domain we have a solid full scale with a maximum value of 0dBfs, in the analog world PPMs are really ruled only by manufacturer or standard conventions.
Also, because in the analog world PPMs need time to measure a value, analog PPMs give an approximated read, causing really short peaks to appear lower than they are and longer peaks appear more like a correct read.

There are so many of them (DIN, Nordic, EBU, BBC...) with different integration times, different scale and decay time and they are really tied to the device they are built-in.

My rule of thumb, when it comes to mixing ITB is: USE THE DAW PPM (wich is instantaneous and sample accurate) and VU Meters, but that's just me.
I really don'l like PPM emulations just because, no matter what scale or PPM you choose, they will always give you "relative" reads since the +4dBu mark is REALLY different from one type to another.
The most useful is (for sure) the EBU PPM, just because TEST is 0dBu and 4 is +4dBu (which is 0VU).
BTW yes... analog modeled PPMs are "kind of Random"

Sorry for my english, i hope this is useful.
I understand you completely. I was just looking for a general number to calibrate the PPM meter to. If I've changed the VU meter to -18dbfs, what's a good number to set the other to?