Old 02-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #1
alienbee
Human being with feelings

Default CC actions per song/project auto loader?

Is there a way that Reaper can (auto) load up fader controller messages set inside of the actions window when a song/project is loaded?

I have different controller actions set up for different song/projects. (common?)

at the moment needing to load/and saving up project config files, having to re/wire or reloading and saving the configs inside of actions window for each song/project , manually.

Is there a way to set it up to (auto) load and save out the actions list per song/project???

thanks.

Last edited by alienbee; 02-21-2016 at 02:22 PM.
alienbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
alienbee

(bump) sure could use this
Old 02-13-2016, 02:11 PM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienbee View Post
sucks loading/and saving up project config files, having to re/wire or reloading and saving the configs inside of actions window for each song/project , manually.
Hi alienbee, I'm not sure what you're talking about? Are you talking about the actual actions list window?

Are you saying the actions are not the same when you open Reaper?

I know I'm confused and probably others are too.

Can you get more explicit about what your talking about?
Old 02-14-2016, 04:03 AM   #4
noise_construct

Would export/import of Preferences work for you? You can choose to export just the actions & key bindings for example.
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:55 PM   #5
alienbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise_construct View Post
Would export/import of Preferences work for you? You can choose to export just the actions & key bindings for example.
if that would load automatic to a project..like having different actions list for each project..
ill have to re explain why or what it is im talking about..
Old 02-14-2016, 06:13 PM   #6
alienbee

What this is about is.

Attaching controllers to Volume faders through actions list..

Project 1 Song 1

Ch 1 = Vox
Ch 2 = Guitar
Ch 3 = Bass
Ch 4 = Drums

Project 2 Song 2

Ch 1 = Violen
Ch 2 = Cello
Ch 3 = Bass
Ch 4 = Conga
Ch 5 = Vox
Ch 6 = Drums

Every project is different , more channels etc..
Our controller for the stage has tape labels to indicate things like Vox bass and so on..

So far we can only see that Reaper will not load on start pre set or saved controller assignments ..per song/project AUTOMATIC - one has to manually go into the actions list and then load them by hand.
and having one song in one tab assigned specific controller assignments..bleeds onto any other tab, or song that are opened .the same assignments.

It would be ideal if we could open Reaper songs and have different controller assignments specific for each project..to auto load/save an action list if at the least (maybe even make it an option one can check box off or on)

maybe its already built in..we just cant find it..or a workaround.

hope this helps for those who cant see what were talking about.

Last edited by alienbee; 02-14-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:19 PM   #7
alienbee

also one for example sets up a controller assignment to a track, and then drags it under a buss after the project is grown and it breaks the assignment..

and what track that gets shuffled into in the place of the last assignment gets assigned the controller..

it doesn't follow the track.

this makes one have to go back to actions and redo the whole thing again..

Keep CC assignments to |faders / tracks| regardless where you drag them would be cool no?

Last edited by alienbee; 02-14-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:41 PM   #8
Tod

Quote:
also one for example sets up a controller assignment to a track, and then drags it under a buss after the project is grown and it breaks the assignment..

and what track that gets shuffled into in the place of the last assignment gets assigned the controller..

it doesn't follow the track.

this makes one have to go back to actions and redo the whole thing again..

Keep CC assignments to |faders / tracks| regardless where you drag them would cool no?
I'm still a little confused alienbee, but that's just cause I don't have what you wanting right in front of me.

However, are you aware of Project templates?

I have a feeling they might be your ticket. That and possibly Track templates.

Those two things would be a good place for you to start.

Open the Reaper manual and type "project templates" into the filter. Aslo do the same for "track templates".

You can do a whole lot of things with just those two Reaper features.

Beyond that you can create actions that will perform multiple actions (macros), assign them to a toolbar and do all kinds of things that way.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:03 PM   #9
alienbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I'm still a little confused alienbee, but that's just cause I don't have what you wanting right in front of me.

However, are you aware of Project templates?

I have a feeling they might be your ticket. That and possibly Track templates.

Those two things would be a good place for you to start.

Open the Reaper manual and type "project templates" into the filter. Aslo do the same for "track templates".

You can do a whole lot of things with just those two Reaper features.

Beyond that you can create actions that will perform multiple actions (macros), assign them to a toolbar and do all kinds of things that way.
Thanks for the reply,
yes we have project templates down actually , we use them religiously...ehh frequently .

the assignments to CC are global, so every template must stay true to the placements of tracks to use the assigned controllers.. overall, actions set to one template carry into any other template..and if one reassigns a cc action with in any template or project that's not a template ..it bleeds the same changes into all of them. so

the only way around it we worked out is to Go into actions..export to file the entire actions list. (for safe keeping) and then reload that same file For every song/project differently.
it will take care of my point, no prob.

BUT - if i could get an action to load an exported Actions file ONLOAD --id eat cake! ..ehh, have my cake and eat it too..

my journey to find Valhalla with no shoes.

thanks for the reply hope this makes little more sense..

templates rock btw..still cant make sub folders for "project templates" like track templates are able too
Old 02-14-2016, 09:23 PM   #10
Tod

Quote:
Thanks for the reply,
yes we have project templates down actually , we use them religiously...ehh frequently .

the assignments to CC are global, so every template must stay true to the placements of tracks to use the assigned controllers.. overall, actions set to one template carry into any other template..and if one reassigns a cc action with in any template or project that's not a template ..it bleeds the same changes into all of them. so

the only way around it we worked out is to Go into actions..export to file the entire actions list. (for safe keeping) and then reload that same file For every song/project differently.
it will take care of my point, no prob.

BUT - if i could get an action to load an exported Actions file ONLOAD --id eat cake! ..ehh, have my cake and eat it too..

my journey to find Valhalla with no shoes.

thanks for the reply hope this makes little more sense..
Okay, but I'm still very foggy on what you're trying to do, but it sounds like it's for live performance?

Is this for a controller of some kind, like a mixer?

How many different setups do you need?

You talk about "Attaching controllers to Volume faders through actions list". Are you talking about midi controllers or midi channels, or both?

You talk about using actions for all this, what about creating macros to do this?

Have you thought about having different Reaper portable installs to do this? Depending on how many setups you need, that might work.

Quote:
templates rock btw..still cant make sub folders for "project templates" like track templates are able too
Humm, I don't have any problem with subfolders for either the project or track templates? Not sure why you would, other than maybe a setting some where?
Old 02-14-2016, 10:01 PM   #11
alienbee

I tried to explain it several times.

if this is still not something you understand .

I cant figure out another way to explain this.

I'm just now thinking its maybe better to use the Abletone Live app .
I know it doesn't globally keep the same CC assignments for all songs loaded, you can simply save a song and any assigned CC to that song and have it load back as you saved it.

Q:"How many different setups do you need?"
A:Every song is different. cant use the same template for each one, too many ideas happen for a song that call for different things to be controlled.

we use macros, but there is no "Action" to LOAD to a song an exported saved action list.

Last edited by alienbee; 02-14-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:59 AM   #12
noise_construct

Unfortunately I dont think automatic loading of mappings is possible now. You would need to first load song, then open Preferences and import the correct mapping. If they would be named like the songs, maybe it could work.
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:05 PM   #13
alienbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise_construct View Post
Unfortunately I dont think automatic loading of mappings is possible now. You would need to first load song, then open Preferences and import the correct mapping. If they would be named like the songs, maybe it could work.
Thanks for the reply, =)

We usually go into the "Actions list" (?) and click "Import"
we save our keymaps in the same folder with the songs titled to the songs.

but we have Import the file manually every time,
we have a set of songs. each one to different tab. Macros to prep tabs when activated from foot switch onstage. but lol, we need to stop and go to the screen to Import to engage the CC assignments for that song/tab.

We have played with SWS LiveConfig . works for some stuff.

We also got our songs mapping through loopbe midi to Resolume Arena , gives us the extra edge for performance's.