Old 04-23-2016, 08:19 AM   #321
sonnie
Human being with feelings

I use a Hackintosh as well and I am afraid of updating because of the last nightmare update.

But Linux has more problems than missing good DAWs (except Bitwig) and missing good plug-ins - JACK and ALSA are both pain in the ass sound systems for users. As a musician its not possible to jam in a DAW to a song from the brwoser e.g. youtube video without "hacking" something into terminal and do some prayers to a random god that it works.

Reaper would be a good start, but there is no good sounding amp simulation, no good sounding and easy to use drum plugin, lack of good everything else plugins (calf is a good start, but often awful sounding compared to many (pro) plugins, no sound colouring plugins (no, mixbus is no solution) etc....
Old 04-23-2016, 09:47 AM   #322
michael diemer

Another disgruntled Windows refugee here. I use W7 only on my music rig, which I keep offline 99% of the time. I stopped updating it, because MS has made the update process a nightmare for W7, in order to force people to W10. I use Ubuntu on another computer for all other stuff. I love it. Much faster than Windows. I do midi exclusively, so I'm hoping that a Linux DAW (like Reaper) will work for me. My impression is that audio is a bigger problem (please correct if wrong). I wish Bitwig had notation. If it did, might be using it. Which is why I see Reaper as the solution. Can't wait for the notation edition to be released!
Old 04-23-2016, 11:52 PM   #323
avocadomix

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnie View Post
But Linux has more problems than missing good DAWs (except Bitwig) and missing good plug-ins - JACK and ALSA are both pain in the ass sound systems for users. As a musician its not possible to jam in a DAW to a song from the brwoser e.g. youtube video without "hacking" something into terminal and do some prayers to a random god that it works.

Reaper would be a good start, but there is no good sounding amp simulation, no good sounding and easy to use drum plugin, lack of good everything else plugins (calf is a good start, but often awful sounding compared to many (pro) plugins, no sound colouring plugins (no, mixbus is no solution) etc....
I agree about jack. It is really powerful, but it is a PITA. But a manageable one. You can have your browser output at the same time as your DAW with jack.

As to good plugins, there is the OvertoneDSP suite that is supposed to be good. Otherwise when Reaper for Linux is ready, I hope devs will include a bridge with it to run winvsts in wine.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:17 AM   #324
David Else

Quote:
I use a Hackintosh as well and I am afraid of updating because of the last nightmare update.

How about http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...?f=31&t=424953
Old 04-25-2016, 02:42 AM   #325
sonnie

I am beta-testing all U-HEs for Linux (since 11/2014 no official release). But be honest, even if u-he is damn nice: Its just a very small company (as Cockos), its just a drop in a ocean.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:41 AM   #326
David Else

Quote:
I am beta-testing all U-HEs for Linux (since 11/2014 no official release). But be honest, even if u-he is damn nice: Its just a very small company (as Cockos), its just a drop in a ocean.
Cool. Do you know if they work as reliably as the Windows versions? I can't stand the idea of crashing software, it makes me very anxious... and i need to relax
Old 04-25-2016, 12:58 PM   #327
sonnie

They're as stable as their windows or mac versions. I ran Uhbik, Presswerk, Protoverb and Satin with Bitwig. All stable. With Ardour there are some issues - maybe its just me, because noone else had them and they are not reproducable.

abique (linux guy from u-he) is a very nice guy who will help you with all your (plug-in related) problems. Check it out and don't mind to ask him.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:59 AM   #328
alextone

Pleased to hear about a potential native linux version.

In terms of using reaper on one box, and hosting large sample libs on other boxes (to spread the load) we'll need a framework for audio and midi over ethernet (for example)

Given there's already jack audio and midi for all three major OS's, i'm suggesting the win and mac versions also recognise jack in their own environments which is currently not the case. (lots of testing went into this, at least here)
There's also rtp midi in win and mac, but not linux. And there's also ipmidi, and an app in linux called Qmidinet, which can communicate with ipmidi over a lan, for win and linux, but not mac.

There's jack for all 3, which is of course, my point.

So the win version of Reaper would see jack audio and midi ports in win, if there's a jack server running, the same for ports in mac, etc. Then there's a common structure, only limited by the user's ability to set up a LAN in his or her studio/bedroom/basement/garden shed/bathroom/treehouse/other dwelling place.

If we can take the next step and get all this working in a LAN successfully, the combination of excellent plugins, samplers, VST instruments, FX in all three OS in a studio LAN would make for a multitude of possibilities.

As always it's the "boring" stuff like networking, midi maps, and other non glamorous features that tend to get neglected or forgotten.

An opportunity of significant intent!

Alex.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #329
Justin
Administrator

http://landoleet.org/dev/ has an updated x86_64 linux build, as well as a Raspberry Pi 2+ build (both 5.20beta10).
Old 04-29-2016, 10:15 AM   #330
clepsydrae

Yeah!

I installed libgtk-3-dev, made libSwell.so ('make', generated lots of warnings, but made the file), did the ln, and when I run reaper5 I get:
./reaper5: symbol lookup error: /path/to/REAPER/libSwell.so: undefined symbol: gdk_init_check
...anyone have any tips on what i'm doing wrong? Couldn't seem to google anything up, just similar questions from others... Thanks!

Edit:
$ strings libSwell.so | grep gdk_init
gdk_init_check
Old 04-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #331
Justin
Administrator

If you use the prebuilt libSwell I assume it's the same? Have the regular gtk3 runtime installed too?
Old 04-29-2016, 10:31 AM   #332
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
If you use the prebuilt libSwell I assume it's the same?
Nope, that one worked, thanks! Wonder what i did wrong with the build...

Wow, it's beautiful!
Old 04-29-2016, 10:40 AM   #333
clepsydrae

Are you at all interested in bug reports at this stage or is it so early days that it would just be annoying? :-)
Old 04-29-2016, 10:40 AM   #334
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Nope, that one worked, thanks! Wonder what i did wrong with the build...

Wow, it's beautiful!
Maybe it isn't the same version of libgtk-3 and libgtk-3-dev? No idea really :/
Old 04-29-2016, 10:45 AM   #335
clepsydrae

Quote:
Maybe it isn't the same version of libgtk-3 and libgtk-3-dev? No idea really :/
Yeah, dunno; both from ubuntu repo... 3.14.13-0ubuntu1. I'm still on 15.04. But i'm not worried about it. :-)
Old 04-29-2016, 10:50 AM   #336
Justin
Administrator

Bugfix patches in SWELL would be appreciated, as would easily reproduced crash instructions, but don't bother reporting any other sort of bugs (there are thousands I'm sure).
Old 04-29-2016, 07:56 PM   #337
DuX

Is there a distro you can recommend Justin? I mean a distro that you use for developing Reaper.

I'm a Debian follower. Most people use Ubuntu or Mint, though. What's your flavour?
Old 04-29-2016, 08:19 PM   #338
Justin
Administrator

I'm using Debian, mostly.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:10 AM   #339
eric71

Wow, so far so good. This is working nicely so far. Thank you so much for this, Justin. I think it will be well worth the wait.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:32 AM   #340
doom_Oo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextone View Post
Pleased to hear about a potential native linux version.

In terms of using reaper on one box, and hosting large sample libs on other boxes (to spread the load) we'll need a framework for audio and midi over ethernet (for example)

Netjack does this and is already available on OS X and Windows.
-> http://netjack.sourceforge.net/
Old 04-30-2016, 01:38 AM   #341
alextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
Netjack does this and is already available on OS X and Windows.
-> http://netjack.sourceforge.net/
Yep, i'm already using it.

If the win and mac versions of reaper can "normally" see jack ports in their native OSs, then it'll make it a lot easier to patch ports together across a LAN, without having to use 3rd party apps or hack around different port types in some way. (UDP, RTP, IPMidi, and so on)

Currently those versions don't see jack ports.

Alex.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:30 PM   #342
Drumfix

Compiling libSwell worked for me after changing the libSwell.so target in the Makefile from

$(CXX) -shared -o $@ $(CFLAGS) $(LFLAGS) $(LINKEXTRA) $^

to

$(CXX) -shared -o $@ $(CFLAGS) $(LFLAGS) $^ $(LINKEXTRA)

A Bug i noticed:
The rotary controls (pan, track volume) don't work.
When left-click+drag, the control immendiatly goes to 0% or 100% and
the mouse pointer is jumping to the top or bottom of the reaper main window.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:53 PM   #343
avocadomix

Jack for networking is an easy way to kill A LOT of time tinkering just to get a system that will crash occasionally and constantly change its latency... At least this was the state of affairs a few months ago (and with Reaper on both ends, which IIRC had been responsible for the latecy drift).
The main challenge about jack though is figuring out the documentation. A Sherlock Holmes himself would break his leg there.

Last edited by avocadomix; 04-30-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:24 PM   #344
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadomix View Post
Jack for networking is an easy way to kill A LOT of time tinkering just to get a system that will crash occasionally and constantly change its latency... At least this was the state of affairs a few months ago (and with Reaper on both ends, which IIRC had been responsible for the latecy drift).
The main challenge about jack though is figuring out the documentation. A Sherlock Holmes himself would break his leg there.
I've used Jack a lot in the past.

It was never very stable and that is the only reason I abandoned it.

I hate unreliable software, especially with audio as most of the audio stuff I do is live recording. I just can't afford to use it, even if recording isn't my main business.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:35 AM   #345
brainwreck

Reaper is getting some good attention at /r/linux
Old 05-01-2016, 05:37 AM   #346
KingNothing

Its nice to see reaper develop in this direction. Just purchased because of that.

There is not much missing, some plugin support and nice font rendering and it would be absolutely usable.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:24 AM   #347
clepsydrae

I'm freaking out a little at how awesome it is. Justin's words in the readme are "This is almost useful!" -- i think it's an understatement. More like "on the cusp of greatness". I was poking around the notation editor, pulling up reaplugs... it's all (?) there! There's obviously a lot of polish still needed (like menu key shortcuts, and oodles of little bugs), but damn! Incredible to see it happen. And not a crash or hiccup yet -- he makes it seem so easy. :-)

When reaper became my favorite DAW i had no notion that it might someday come to linux. Amazing. I'm really looking forward to watching the progress.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:00 PM   #348
mschnell

Reaper natively on Linux would be just Great !!!!!

But to be really usable I suppose support for non-Linux VST plugins would be essential. I do know that this is possible (using WineLib to create a bridge, as already stated by avocadomix) as the Muse "Receptor" is based on exactly this concept and sold in a decent quantity (for a not too low price), and seemingly working perfectly.

-Michael
Old 05-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #349
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Reaper natively on Linux would be just Great !!!!!
We're already so, so close... :-)

Quote:
But to be really usable I suppose support for non-Linux VST plugins would be essential.
Well, not to quibble, but to be 'usable' it doesn't need that. I mean it's already usable, especially if you compare it to most linux A/V apps (no insult intended to the good work done for those apps). But yeah, obviously that would be great, and necessary for wider adoption.

I'm just excited because if it's a chicken-and-egg problem, then between bitwig and reaper we basically now have a pretty big chicken. Maybe i'm getting ahead of things, but it's hard to resist the feeling of a gentle tipping point in linux audio when something like this happens.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:40 PM   #350
mschnell

Quote:
to be 'usable' it doesn't need that.
Sorry or bad wording.

Regarding myself: "usable" (and many others) is correct due to the lack of alternatives to those (partly payed and copy protected) plugins; but of course there are potential users that don't need those. (My main Reaper usage is completely "embedded" - similar to a Muse Receptor box. Here, Linux would be especially viable. But my main sound are Kontakt based, so building Linux box - even for testing - is only viable with a hopefully working Wine bridge.)

Generally: To gain a critical mass of potential users and hence make the effort viable, Linux-Reaper will need the users that can't avoid plugins that are not provided in Linux versions (due to lack of request of their customers). On the long run Reaper might be able to help to change that situation (hen/egg, like with the currently very hot <at least in Germany> discussion on electric cars and charging stations).

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 05-01-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:00 PM   #351
eric71

There's already a few excellent options for bridging windows vsts in native Linux DAWs, which makes the things that are unavailable in native linux vst available to those of us who use Bitwig or Tracktion on Linux. Carla is an awesome piece of software with bridging via Wine being only a small part of what it can do (like bridging lv2 plugins into vst hosts, loading sfz and sf2,patching plugins together in interesting ways, etc). I've also had good success with things like EZDrummer 2 with Airwave, another excellent bridge. So I'll be excited when we are able to get native linux vst support at least. And as mentioned previously in this thread, there is a growing body of excellent native linux vst plugins and instruments. This combined with the awesome ReaPlugins and JS plugins is a lot to work with.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:13 AM   #352
mschnell

That does sound like a great future !

Of course for 99 % of the possible users (unlike the very Linux aware poster in this thread) it's mission critical that VSTs can be installed without any additional hassle. Otherwise they will not even do a test driver with Reaper on Linux. It needs to be as perfectly supported as the 64Bit / 32Bit bridge in Reaper. Of course this also is possible by using JBridge externally. But most end-users will decline trying that.

OTOH, a similar barrier would be the unavailability of Linux drivers for Audio hardware. (I, myself, do have a NI Audio 6. Will I be able to use it with Linux/Reaper ? ) But supposedly Cockos can't do much regarding that issue. Hen/Egg again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric71 View Post
is a lot to work with.
I recon that by far the most possible users of Linux Reaper will be converters and not newbies. So allowing them to use what they are accustomed to is mission critical.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 05-02-2016 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:57 AM   #353
eric71

I think NI Audio 6 is one that works out of the box with Linux, IIRC. I used REAPER withe wine and wineasio in Linux for years before switching to Tracktion to try and go fully Linux native recently. I was trying to get away from using wine and to also support developers who try to support Linux users. But I realize Cockos has done that by maintaining Wine comparability from the beginning. And REAPER does work nearly perfectly with wine (more of a cpu hit, mainly), and loads 99% of the windows vsts with no issues. So I think there is a balance that a user needs to find. If they are going to use Linux either way, if they still want to use a large amount of windows vsts, they might as well run the whole program with Wine and guarantee the best performance for their windows vsts. For those who want to use mostly native linux stuff, bridging the occasional windows vst with something like carla or airwave on a native Linux REAPER is the answer. Wine is a bit of a moving target, and trying to maintain a windows vst bridge internal to a native Linux REAPER would complicate things.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:44 AM   #354
todd_r

Quote:
http://landoleet.org/dev/ has an updated x86_64 linux build, as well as a Raspberry Pi 2+ build (both 5.20beta10).
Brilliant, thanks Justin

Been thinking about getting a raspberry pi
Old 05-02-2016, 03:35 AM   #355
sonnie

Looking forward to a not-so-complicated-to-install version. .run or something like it.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:55 AM   #356
clepsydrae

Quote:
Looking forward to a not-so-complicated-to-install version. .run or something like it.
In case anyone is put off: it's pretty simple now, honestly; download it, uncompress. Download the pre-compiled libSwell, uncompress, and link or copy to it from the reaper dir. Then run reaper. Arguably simpler than installing in windows, since there's nothing to click/choose/etc, and it's in a portable dir. You can compile libSwell if you want/need to, but I didn't.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:20 AM   #357
michaeltonight

Pardon my noobishness, Clepsydrae, but do you mean that one should put libSwell into the Reaper dir?
Old 05-02-2016, 07:37 AM   #358
sonnie

Quote:
In case anyone is put off: it's pretty simple now, honestly; download it, uncompress. Download the pre-compiled libSwell, uncompress, and link or copy to it from the reaper dir. Then run reaper. Arguably simpler than installing in windows, since there's nothing to click/choose/etc, and it's in a portable dir. You can compile libSwell if you want/need to, but I didn't.
Well ok, its better. But simple is "download and double click". Everything with compiling myself: nope. (I could, but I don't want it anymore. Waste of my spare time.)
Old 05-02-2016, 08:38 AM   #359
Xenakios

Quote:
Well ok, its better. But simple is "download and double click". Everything with compiling myself: nope. (I could, but I don't want it anymore. Waste of my spare time.)
No compiling needed, the prebuilt libswell that is in the landoleet directory should work. It's odd though the libswell binary isn't just directly included inside the Reaper folder...
Old 05-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #360
alextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
No compiling needed, the prebuilt libswell that is in the landoleet directory should work. It's odd though the libswell binary isn't just directly included inside the Reaper folder...
To be fair, Justin did say libswell needed testing. Maybe that's why it's not included by default. I myself have discovered the prebuilt swell worked fine "out of the box", and i simply added it to the REAPER folder, and doubleclicked the reaper exec. (Gmaq's AVlinux 64bit OS, which is a modified debian 8, Trulan's excellent RT kernel, plus all the audio/video goodies, preinstalled, including the extensive KXStudio repos)

It's also true that we've just had the 1st of May, and Justin may still be feeling the after effects of just one of many varied, wildly enthusiastic, and somewhat mischievous pagan rituals usually celebrated at this time.
So maybe he hasn't got around to including it by default because, well, because....

Alex.
Closed Thread