Old 03-15-2017, 04:16 AM   #2281
IXix
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws View Post
code contributions are welcomed. Again, no special permissions are needed, just hack away at the code on github and send a pull request.
I can't build it anymore because it was updated to a newer Visual Studio version. I looked at installing the new Community Edition thing but I just don't have the space. Is it possible to support older versions like VS2013 too, or if you can't maintain old version files maybe post some instruction on how to compile with an older software?
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:47 AM   #2282
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXix View Post
I can't build it anymore because it was updated to a newer Visual Studio version. I looked at installing the new Community Edition thing but I just don't have the space. Is it possible to support older versions like VS2013 too, or if you can't maintain old version files maybe post some instruction on how to compile with an older software?
Until Tim chimes in...
The solution file is still vs12 (Visual Studio 2013) and I can build without problems using VS 2013 Express (just tried).
So your issue must be somewhere else I'd guess. (I also have VS 2015 Community installed though, not sure if that makes a difference).
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:46 AM   #2283
Gianfini

Great job!!!!!! About to donate NOW

Now that SWS is back, could you please consider adjusting this:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=187042

thanks
g
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:58 AM   #2284
chumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfini View Post
Great job!!!!!! About to donate NOW

Now that SWS is back, could you please consider adjusting this:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=187042

thanks
g
Any reason why just using loop points isn't enough?
chumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:46 AM   #2285
Gianfini

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbo View Post
Any reason why just using loop points isn't enough?
Imagine I have a mix with 50-60 .wav items in it

Imagine I would like to listen quickly to a certain section (say 2 seconds section) of an item (e.g. a sentece of the chorus singer) because it seems a bit detuned

Case a: I have the Preview action: 1. I select the section of the item and item(item right drag for me), 2. press a key and only that item SECTION gets loop played through the track and master bus

Case b I don't have the action: 1. I have to loop-select the section by dragging above in the timeline area, 2. solo the track, 3. put the cursor at the beginning of the loop, 4. hit play, 5. revert the solo and loop after the fact

g
Old 03-16-2017, 06:37 AM   #2286
chumbo

Ok, that clears it up.
However, you laid out the steps very well yourself so...why didn't you try the Cycle Actions?

Tell me if there's anything missing but, as far as I can tell the attached CA does the job. (you can of course further customize it, like stopping the Repeat loop function. I didn't know if you wanted that or not, so as it is now it's enabled)

Maybe you're not familiar with the Cycle Actions? If not, I really recommend you dive in as this is really accessible to total novices (as I am) and is the poor man's scripting device. You can already do a lot with this alone.

To import, go to the Cycle Action Editor (you'll need SWS extensions) and click the Import button.
It will then show up in the Action List, then just assign a shortcut key.

Cheers,
Attached Files
File Type: ini Audition Selection.ini (231 Bytes, 247 views)
Old 03-16-2017, 06:55 AM   #2287
amagalma

Quote:
Check check... testing 123... Is this thing on?

I figured before the lynch mob arrived at my front door I should post an updated build. So I did.
Great, great news!!!
Old 03-16-2017, 07:35 AM   #2288
mschnell

Quote:
I cannot personally maintain an 'A' level of support as it may have been in the past. It should be painfully obvious to you all that the SWS project has a way of burning you out. The REAPER users (bless you) have a way of making work on the extension both
That is terribly obvious...

Could you please post an appropriate comment on the other Thread:
-> http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=189209 ,
especially:
-> http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...9209&page=2#46
Thanks,
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:39 AM   #2289
Xenakios

After a while (a few years, I guess) since last trying, I decided to look at building the SWS plugin to see if I could clean up at least some of my own ancient stuff. No luck. The plugin is still a nightmare to build. I had to for example install PHP on the system before the build could even be started. Why isn't the build dependency on PHP mentioned in :

https://github.com/reaper-oss/sws/wi...-SWS-Extension ?

Anyway, even after installing PHP, I still couldn't get it built, it failed with vs12_tag64.lib related linker errors. (Using VS2017 here.)

Sorry if this just sounds like angry complaining.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:52 AM   #2290
Gianfini

Quote:
Ok, that clears it up.
Maybe you're not familiar with the Cycle Actions?
Interesting, thanks. Nevertheless I think this is sort of another workaround... but it'll do for the moment

g
Old 03-16-2017, 08:06 AM   #2291
chumbo

Quote:
Nevertheless I think this is sort of another workaround... but it'll do for the moment
Oh? How is it not exactly what you wanted? From your description, the CA does what you asked:
Quote:
I select the section of the item and item (item right drag for me), 2. press a key and only that item SECTION gets loop played through the track and master bus
(I realise now you had asked for it to loop, so it does that already too)

Anyway, that's the beauty of Reaper, if the feature doesn't already exist, there's almost always a way to create it or come really close. Try doing that with another DAW! ;-)
Old 03-16-2017, 09:36 AM   #2292
Gianfini

Quote:
Oh? How is it not exactly what you wanted? From your description, the CA does what you asked:
(I realise now you had asked for it to loop, so it does that already too)
One: I have to learn to program scripts. I don't like to do it, I'm a musician
Two: as I understand this solution could spoil existing setup: for example if another track is soloed this script will have to unsolo all and solo only the track of the item, so in the end I'll finish with a different "solo setup". Same if I have another loop setup this will reset it (since it will create a new loop). I would like to play the item without touching SOLOs settings and Loop

Or maybe I understood wrong then I'm back to point One stronger than before

Quote:
Anyway, that's the beauty of Reaper, if the feature doesn't already exist, there's almost always a way to create it or come really close. Try doing that with another DAW! ;-)
That's the beauty of C++: if a program do not exist you can make it. Sorry I couldn't resist the joke , yes I like the flexibility of Reaper, but I believe it should grant a base function set (not to be programmed) on par with main competitors

Thank you anyway, I'll try to do something for the script and maybe I will succeed!

g
Old 03-16-2017, 10:56 AM   #2293
chumbo

Quote:
One: I have to learn to program scripts. I don't like to do it, I'm a musician
Believe me, I'm ONLY a musician (and a guitarist!) so you really misunderstood me when in a previous post I said:
Quote:
I really recommend you dive in as this is really accessible to total novices (as I am) and is the poor man's scripting device.
I think reading the word 'script' just made alarms go off in your head!

I meant to say that it in fact is NOT scripting at all!! But the end result can resemble it as it is quite powerful but in actual fact, really simple to use.
All it is, is assembling a succession of Actions to be carried out one after another. So all I did was search the Action List with simple keywords that probably would result in the actions you/I was looking for.

Have a look, this is the 'code' for the Cycle Action:

I think reading the description, you get the sense of what it's meant to accomplish. I just followed all the steps you layed out in your explanation so roughly from top to bottom:
- set loop points to the selection
- move cursor to start of selection
- Solo ONLY the selected track
- Play

----Step---- Is to separate the Toggle action of pressing the key. So, above this step is what happens when you press the key the first time. And when your finished auditioning your item selection and you press the key again, is what happens after the 'Step' so this below...

- Stop
- Remove loop points (step 1)
- Remove loop points (step 2)
- Unsolo

As for the Mute states, this action will not affect it at all and for the loop selection you might have had and didn't want to lose, I just added another action to save and restore the state of the loop selection so that's resolved as well...anything else?

I've attached the new CA, give it a try. I really think (and hope) I nailed it this time.

BTW, what other DAWs are you talking about that do this natively? Just curious. My guess is you'll find that actually Reaper is now the only one that does...since today :-)
Attached Files
File Type: ini Audition Selection v2.ini (271 Bytes, 240 views)
Old 03-17-2017, 12:43 AM   #2294
Gianfini

@Chumbo

Thanks!!! I'm going to test it immediately. Really helpful

You know, I'm always willing Reaper to embed native behaviors because in this way it would attract many more users, while now on various forums when you read about comparisons Reaper seems to have quite an entry barrier due to the fact that you can do everything but not one click away..

anyway thanks again

g
Old 03-17-2017, 01:34 AM   #2295
chumbo

Quote:
@Chumbo
...Reaper seems to have quite an entry barrier due to the fact that you can do everything but not one click away.
anyway thanks again
g
You're absolutely right. It definitely ranks pretty low as far as ease of use and intuitiveness (even though I know lots will disagree) but then again, it's not that bad once you take the dive.
No DAW is perfect and each of our priorities define the DAW we choose. Reaper is less intuitive, not as 'pretty', and as you pointed out, it's basic tool set is not always implemented in the best way.
But Reaper shines high and above any another DAW as far as it's infinite feature set, customizability, stability and power with regards to speed and the amount of tracks & plugins it can handle.
Many have come to Reaper because their previous DAW was constantly crashing and/or choking on resources.

And that's where I put my priorities. When working in a DAW, I hate nothing more than hitting a 'wall': wanting it to do something and realising the DAW doesn't have that feature.
With Reaper, this very RARELY happens and I love that! :-)
Old 03-17-2017, 07:04 AM   #2296
Gianfini

Implemented and improved it a bit

Though it migh be useful to someone else. I assigned to a key stroke.

g
Old 03-17-2017, 01:29 PM   #2297
Xenakios

I finally did some work again on the SWS plugin. (Nothing exciting though, actually the biggest change was to remove an obsolete and buggy action.)
Old 03-17-2017, 01:37 PM   #2298
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
I finally did some work again on the SWS plugin. (Nothing exciting though, actually the biggest change was to remove an obsolete and buggy action.)
That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind. ©Neil Armstrong
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:11 AM   #2299
gwok

I'm noticing since before and still after the newest SWS update, I can't type into the SWS resources. For example, trying to rename a track template in the track template resources, I dbl click on the name, though once I am in the name field, the keyboard has no effect, and I cannot enter any letters/changes.
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:18 PM   #2300
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Thanks for helping to keep SWS alive. When you get a moment, can you look into the issue reported in this thread?:

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=377

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2017, 04:37 PM   #2301
ovnis

Quote:
Issue 843: Fix snapshots with complicated sets of sends not being saved/replicated properly
The bug is still here. Try this with send envelope.

Last edited by ovnis; 03-28-2017 at 06:09 PM.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:58 AM   #2302
EvilDragon

Quote:
Send envelopes aren't supported at the moment, sorry. I plan to rename snapshots to "Mixer Snapshots" to better reflect what is actually being saved: The stuff you see in the mixer view.

From here: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=396
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:13 PM   #2303
foxAsteria

Default Toolbar Mute/Solo/Arm Actions Take up to 30 Seconds?

Anyone else having issues with the toolbar mute/solo/arm toggle actions? They're completely ingrained in my workflow by now so I'm pretty reliant on them, but lately in big projects they can take up to half a minute to work, even if they're only acting on a single track.

Total showstopper. Snapshots are often intensely slow in these big projects as well. I'd hate to do without these features. Anyone else?

Last edited by foxAsteria; 04-06-2017 at 05:19 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:52 PM   #2304
bilsner

hey... I just went back to 4.78 reaper after trying 5 (can't afford to upgrade yet and some stability issues with certain plugin).

What I would like to know is what is the latest version of SWS I can install with it as I know the latest one is for 5.x and above only.

Many thanks, Bill
bilsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:41 PM   #2305
bilsner

I think I figured it out anyway just scrolling thru the release notes until I found a "requires 4.75" note... that should do it
bilsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:17 AM   #2306
Pet

2.7.0 pre is afaik the latest SWS working with Reaper v4.78. I installed Reaper 4.78 recently portable and had the same question.
[EDIT:] if you install 2.7.1, you get an error message when opening REAPER 4.78.

Last edited by Pet; 06-18-2017 at 05:13 AM.
Pet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:24 AM   #2307
ai101

I can't add a note to item background.
Anyone knows why?
Attached Images
File Type: gif 01.gif (24.9 KB, 346 views)
ai101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #2308
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai101 View Post
I can't add a note to item background.
Anyone knows why?
That's for loading images. Just type your note in the blank space above.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:18 PM   #2309
ai101

If i type the note without this option, i get this:

But i need text on background of item.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 02.gif (9.7 KB, 281 views)

Last edited by ai101; 04-11-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:29 PM   #2310
cfillion

Use an "empty item" instead of a MIDI item. (This has nothing to do with SWS though.)

cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:39 PM   #2311
ai101

Thanks.
So MIDI and AUDIO items can't have background notes at all?
Old 04-11-2017, 10:34 PM   #2312
EvilDragon

Sure they can. But this is the wrong thread to discuss it.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:29 AM   #2313
ai101

Sorry about that.
Searching take me to this thread.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:23 AM   #2314
dreaminglife

Default SWS Resources Loosing Bookmarks

Hello

I just lost all my SWS Bookmarks for about the 5th time ( I have a lot of them ).

In the past this would happen when I had added too many bookmarks so today I thought I might be getting near the limit so removed a couple. Next I get a reaper crash and they are all gone again.

How can I retrieve them without having to start from the beginning? This is a great feature but I feel like its too much bother and that I'm chasing my tail.

Dreamer
dreaminglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:29 PM   #2315
tusitala

Default FR: SWS/FNG: Show only used CC lanes TOGGLE

it would be handy if the keycommand
SWS/FNG: Show only used CC lanes

was a "toggle" instead of having a separate one for hiding...

thanks!
tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:13 PM   #2316
daxliniere

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusitala View Post
it would be handy if the keycommand
SWS/FNG: Show only used CC lanes

was a "toggle" instead of having a separate one for hiding...

thanks!
A workaround would be to create a cycle action.
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:40 AM   #2317
Stevie

Default gui bug

GUI BUG..

and this bug is happens in every themes

Action:
SWS: Save current track sekection
SWS: Insert track above selected tracks
SWS: Restore saved track selection
Xenakios/SWSL Sekect previous tracks, keeping current selection
SWS: Make folder from seleced tracks
SWS: Unselect children of selected track(s)
SWS/AW: Set selected tracks to pan mode stereo pan
Layout: apply custom leyout #02
SWS/S&M: Resources - Apply track template to selected tracks, slot 51
SWS/S&M: Resources - Import tracks from track template, slot 57

Last edited by Stevie; 05-11-2017 at 06:07 AM.
Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:55 AM   #2318
EvilDragon

Your image is not showing at all.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:29 PM   #2319
daxliniere

Try adding the action "Action: Prompt to continue..." to your custom action (multiple times, in between each of the current actions). This was you can pin down exactly where it goes wrong, which will be helpful in fixing your problem.
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:55 AM   #2320
Stevie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Your image is not showing at all.
fixed, sir
Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote