Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 04-09-2017, 12:47 PM   #201
juliansader
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
Julian... I'm not having sucess with the compress cc [velocity events] with the mousewheel script...

Can you help me out plz? I have it set to the key press of K, and I have it in a toolbar for the MIDI Ed.... but I never get it to work.
I suspect that you are having the same problem as dimitris above. Could you please check that a mousewheel+modifier has been assigned? (Either directly to the Compress script itself, or to the "js_Run" master control script?)

The script provides some instructions that can be read in REAPER's script editor, or via ReaPack's interface:

Code:
  # Instructions  
  To use:
  1) Select MIDI events to be compressed/expanded.
  2) Position mouse in lane.
      * The vertical position of the mouse is the value to/from which the events will be compressed/expanded, 
      * If the horizontal position of the mouse is within the time range of the selected events, all events will be compressed/expanded with the same factor.
      * If the horizontal position of the mouse is outside the time range, events that are closer to the mouse will be compressed/expanded more than events further away.
  3) Press shortcut key.
  4) Scroll mousewheel to compress or expand the event values.
      * Scroll down to compress, or up to expand.
  5) Move mouse up or down to change the value to/from which the events are compressed/expanded.
  6) To exit, move mouse out of CC lane, or press shortcut key again.

The resolution (i.e. speed) of compression/expansion can be customized by changing the 
      "compressResolution" variable in the USER AREA, near the top of the script.

This script therefore requires:
    * a keyboard shortcut to start the script, as well as
    * a mousewheel modifier to control the extent of compression/expansion.

KEYBOARD SHORTCUT

There are two ways in which the script can be started via a keyboard shortcut:  

1) First, the script can be linked to its own easy-to-remember shortcut key, such as "C".  
      (Using the standard steps of linking any REAPER action to a shortcut key.)

2) Second, this script, together with other "js_" scripts that edit the "lane under mouse",
          can each be linked to a toolbar button.  
     - In this case, each script does not need to be linked to its own shortcut key.  
     - Instead, only the master control script, with the long name 
          "js_Run the js_'lane under mouse' script that is selected in toolbar.lua"
       needs to be linked to a keyboard shortcut.
     - Clicking the toolbar button will 'arm' the linked script (and the button will light up), 
          and this selected (armed) script can then be run by using the shortcut for the 
          aforementioned "js_Run..." script.
     - For further instructions - please refer to the "js_Run..." script.      

Note: Since this function is a user script, the way it responds to shortcut keys and 
    mouse buttons is opposite to that of REAPER's built-in mouse actions 
    with mouse modifiers:  To run the script, press the shortcut key *once* 
    to start the script and then move the mouse *without* pressing any 
    mouse buttons.  Press the shortcut key again once to stop the script.  

(The first time that the script is stopped, REAPER will pop up a dialog box 
    asking whether to terminate or restart the script.  Select "Terminate"
    and "Remember my answer for this script".)

MOUSEWHEEL MODIFIER

A mousewheel modifier is a combination such as Ctrl+Ctrl+mousewheel, that can be assigned to an
  Action, similar to how keyboard shortcuts are assigned.

As is the case with keyboard shortcuts, the script can either be controlled via its own
  mousewheel modifier, or via the mousewheel modifier that is linked to the "js_Run..." control script.

Linking each script to its own mousewheel modifier is not ideal, since it would mean that the user 
  must remember several modifier combinations, one for each script.  (Mousewheel modifiers such as 
  Ctrl+Shift+mousewheel are more difficult to remember than keyboard shortcuts such as "C".)

An easier option is to link a single mousewheel+modifier shortcut to the "js_Run..." script, 
  and this single mousewheel+modifier can then be used to control any of the other "lane under mouse" scripts. 

NOTE: The mousewheel modifier that is assigned to the "js_Run..." script can be used to control 
      the other scripts, including the Compress/expand script, even if these scripts
      were started from their own keyboard shortcuts.

PERFORMANCE TIPS

* The responsiveness of the MIDI editor is significantly influenced by the total number of events in 
      the visible and editable takes. If the MIDI editor is slow, try reducing the number of editable and visible tracks.

* If the MIDI editor gets slow and jerky when a certain VST plugin is loaded, 
      check for graphics driver incompatibility by disabling graphics acceleration in the plugin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
I was also wondering if it is not possible to have a script like that one work as 'armed'... you know, with a rt clk on the toolbar icon for it???
The standard arming method (right-click to arm and then left-click to run the action) actually does work - but only in the piano roll area, not in the CC lane. For some reason, REAPER's toolbar arming does not work in the CC lane. (I think I should submit a feature request, or bug report.) The Trim notes script, for example, can be run via the standard toolbar arming method.

Because of this problem, I coded my scripts so that they can be armed via left-clicking. For scripts such as Compress, you can arm the script by left-clicking on its toolbar button, and then use the keyboard shortcut that is linked to the "js_Run" master control script to run the armed action.

Last edited by juliansader; 04-09-2017 at 02:42 PM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:37 PM   #202
The Bunker

Hi Juliansader

I have been trying for the last couple of days to get these to work on my Reaper and I cannot for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong. Are you able to put some easy to follow step by step guide together that shows how to set this up and get it to run?

I would happily donate if I could get this to work.

Basically at the moment I have a bunch of the "insert... under mouse" scripts installed, I go to my actions list and turn the one I want to use "on" by clicking "run". And then I go to my MIDI editor's CC lane and use both the keyboard shortcut and the mouse modifier shortcut I assigned to the "run the js lane under mouse..." script and I cannot get anything to happen. I cannot draw any CC events (beyond the standard ones that Reaper allows you to do), and I cannot adjust any curves using the mousewheel (again beyond reaper's standard functionality in this regard). What am I doing wrong?
The Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:00 PM   #203
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bunker View Post
Basically at the moment I have a bunch of the "insert... under mouse" scripts installed ... I cannot draw any CC events, and I cannot adjust any curves using the mousewheel
I think you may be trying to use the wrong scripts?

The "insert... under mouse" scripts include:
* js_Insert linear ramps between selected CCs or pitches in lane under mouse (without dialog box).lua
* js_Insert linear or shaped ramps between selected CCs or pitches in lane under mouse.lua

These scripts are used to insert new CCs between selected CCs in a one-shot, static way. The curves cannot be adjusted afterwards.

To draw CC curves at the mouse position, and to adjust curves, use the "Draw" scripts, such as
* js_Draw linear or curved ramps in real time.lua
(or the sine variants)

or some of the other scripts such as Warp or Stretch.

Quote:
I have been trying for the last couple of days to get these to work on my Reaper and I cannot for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong. Are you able to put some easy to follow step by step guide together that shows how to set this up and get it to run?
Most of the scripts provide extensive Descriptions and Instructions inside the script itself. These can be read in REAPER's built-in script editor, or in ReaPack 1.1's "About" window. There is also lots of discussion in this thread itself, in particular this post. Please let me know if these instructions are not sufficiently clear!
Old 06-04-2017, 11:16 AM   #204
The Bunker

Thanks for the reply. I just tried it, still doesnt seem to work. I read your instructions again as well, really can't see what I am doing wrong I believe I have followed your instructions correctly. I have now assigned the action "s_Draw linear or curved ramps in real time.lua " to a button in the toolbar. I click on it to make it active and it becomes highlighted and says script is active. I then move the mouse to the CC lane and press the keyboard shortcut that I assigned to "Script: js_Run the js_'lane under mouse' script that is selected in toolbar (link this to shortcut and mousewheel).lua". And then try to draw the CC curve, but it just draws it as per normal and the mousewheel modifier that I assigned to this action also doesn't do anything to modify the steepness of the curve. I must be doing something wrong.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:54 AM   #205
juliansader

Quote:
And then try to draw the CC curve, but it just draws it as per normal and the mousewheel modifier that I assigned to this action also doesn't do anything to modify the steepness of the curve. I must be doing something wrong.
Could you elaborate on what you mean by "but it just draws it as per normal"? (If the script itself doesn't do anything, nothing should be drawn.)

Are you perhaps pressing a mouse button and/or mouse modifier keys while drawing the curve? This would activate REAPER's native drawing functions, instead of the script.

Since this function is a user script, the way it responds to shortcut keys and mouse buttons is opposite to that of REAPER's built-in mouse actions with mouse modifiers: To run the script, press the shortcut key *once* to start the script and then move the mouse *without* pressing any mouse buttons. Press the shortcut key again once to stop the script.

(The first time that the script is stopped, REAPER will pop up a dialog box asking whether to terminate or restart the script. Select "Terminate" and "Remember my answer for this script".)

EDIT: Could you perhaps take a screencap of what's happening? (Cockos's LICEcap is easy to use, and the file can be uploaded to the forum's Stash.)

Last edited by juliansader; 06-04-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #206
The Bunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post

Since this function is a user script, the way it responds to shortcut keys and mouse buttons is opposite to that of REAPER's built-in mouse actions with mouse modifiers: To run the script, press the shortcut key *once* to start the script and then move the mouse *without* pressing any mouse buttons. Press the shortcut key again once to stop the script.
Yea I tried this, I moved my mouse around without pressing buttons AFTER pressing the shortcut key to activate the "run js..." script and nothing happened.

As for what I mean about the it acting as per normal, I mean all I can do is for example draw ramps free hand with the mouse by clicking the left button and dragging in the CC lane, the same way I have always been able to. No straight lines, no curves, no fancy shapes, just free hand.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #207
The Bunker

Ah just made a video... apparently its either too big or too small for the Reaper stash? wtf?

EDIT: Ok I think the video worked at least...

https://stash.reaper.fm/30889/MIDI%20Script%20issues.lcf

Last edited by The Bunker; 06-04-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:45 PM   #208
juliansader

Yay! I think I found the solution!

According to your config file, the scripts have been installed twice: in the action list's Main section, as well as in the MIDI editor section.

The shortcuts have been linked to the scripts in the Main section, instead of those in the MIDI editor section.

When you work in the MIDI editor, shortcuts will only call actions and scripts that are in the MIDI editor section (unless you explicitly set them to "pass through" to the Main section).

(EDIT: BTW, most of my MIDI editing scripts will also work in the Arrange window's inline MIDI editor, in which case the scripts should be installed into the "Inline MIDI editor" section.)

Last edited by juliansader; 06-07-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:28 PM   #209
The Bunker

Hey Julian, thanks for looking into it. So how would I rectify this? Uninstall and install the scripts again? Also how can I tell if things are installed twice and how do I prevent that from happening?
Old 06-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #210
The Bunker

Ok so just to see if I understand clearly... are you saying that this action list which can be accessed from the MIDI editor's menu bar...

... is different to this action list which can be accessed from the main menu bar?

Old 06-05-2017, 11:32 AM   #211
juliansader

Quote:
Ok so just to see if I understand clearly... are you saying that this action list which can be accessed from the MIDI editor's menu bar...

... is different to this action list which can be accessed from the main menu bar?
Indeed. (Also, in the top right corner of the Actions list, you can change the section.)

The different sections in REAPER's Actions list are not only relevant to scripts, but also to all other native actions and custom actions. By dividing actions into sections, REAPER allows you to use the same shortcut for different actions in different sections, so that you don't run out of shortcut keys.

For example, when working in the main Arrange window, you can use "S" to split items, and while working in the MIDI editor, you can use "S" to split notes.

If you often need to run a certain Action from the Main section while you are working in the MIDI editor, you can link the shortcut of that Action to the "Pass through key to main window" action in the MIDI editor section.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:40 AM   #212
juliansader

Quote:
Hey Julian, thanks for looking into it. So how would I rectify this? Uninstall and install the scripts again? Also how can I tell if things are installed twice and how do I prevent that from happening?
Very easy to rectify: Simply link the shortcuts and mousewheel modifiers to the scripts that have already been installed in the MIDI editor section, and voilà!

However... I strongly advise all users to use ReaPack to install my scripts, since ReaPack will automatically install the scripts in their correct sections, and it provides easy access to script updates. (BTW, the LFO Tool had a nice update a few day ago.)

Therefore, for a longer-term solution, I suggest that you uninstall all scripts (in all sections) that have not been installed via ReaPack, and then re-install them via ReaPack. Once they are re-installed, you can link the shortcuts as before.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #213
lowellben

Quote:
Very easy to rectify: Simply link the shortcuts and mousewheel modifiers to the scripts that have already been installed in the MIDI editor section, and voilà!

However... I strongly advise all users to use ReaPack to install my scripts, since ReaPack will automatically install the scripts in their correct sections, and it provides easy access to script updates. (BTW, the LFO Tool had a nice update a few day ago.)

Therefore, for a longer-term solution, I suggest that you uninstall all scripts (in all sections) that have not been installed via ReaPack, and then re-install them via ReaPack. Once they are re-installed, you can link the shortcuts as before.
When scripts are not yet available in ReaPack, like your dynamics velocity one for example, should you delete them once they show up in Reapack and then REdownload them?
Keep both?
Old 06-05-2017, 11:00 PM   #214
The Bunker

Quote:

The different sections in REAPER's Actions list are not only relevant to scripts, but also to all other native actions and custom actions. By dividing actions into sections, REAPER allows you to use the same shortcut for different actions in different sections, so that you don't run out of shortcut keys.

For example, when working in the main Arrange window, you can use "S" to split items, and while working in the MIDI editor, you can use "S" to split notes.

If you often need to run a certain Action from the Main section while you are working in the MIDI editor, you can link the shortcut of that Action to the "Pass through key to main window" action in the MIDI editor section.
WOW, it is even more powerful than I realised! Thanks
Old 06-05-2017, 11:04 PM   #215
The Bunker

Quote:
Ok, will try that. Thanks.

Quote:
This is strange because I thought that's what I did, but maybe I inadvertently screwed it up while I was messing with it trying to get it to work...

Quote:
Ok, I will also try that, can I safely select everything that has "script" in its description or are some of these default Reaper things that shouldn't be messed with?
Old 06-07-2017, 11:21 AM   #216
juliansader

Quote:
Ok, I will also try that, can I safely select everything that has "script" in its description or are some of these default Reaper things that shouldn't be messed with?
To the best of my knowledge, the only default script is "lyrics.lua" (which is in the MIDI editor section).
Old 06-12-2017, 10:23 AM   #217
The Bunker

Thanks Julian, I finally got it to work. Wouldn't have been able to without your explanations. I am still getting my head around some of the specific scripts though. Some of them seem to behave strangely although they do work and I am probably just not appreciating their function. Like the "compress or expand selected CC or velocity events using mousewheel" This script seems to just change the vertical height of selected CCs as I move the mouse around after I press the "run script" shortcut. Although it does it in a bit of an unpredictable and counter intuitive way. Does this sound about right or am I doing something wrong again? Similarly some of the arching scripts are a bit weird.

Also is it correct that for some of the scripts the mousewheel + modifier function essentially functions in the same way as the keyboard shortcut and in some of the others it gives additional control, for example letting you determine the curve of a ramp?
Old 06-12-2017, 10:59 AM   #218
juliansader

Quote:
Like the "compress or expand selected CC or velocity events using mousewheel" This script seems to just change the vertical height of selected CCs as I move the mouse around after I press the "run script" shortcut.
This is indeed what the script is supposed to do: it compresses or expands CC values towards/from from the mouse's vertical position.

So, if you move the mouse up or down, it changes the value to/from which the events are compressed/expanded.

The mousewheel controls the amount of compression or expansion. Scroll down to compress more tightly, or up to expand.

* If the horizontal position of the mouse is within the time range of the selected events, all events will be compressed/expanded with the same factor.

* If the horizontal position of the mouse is *outside* the time range, events that are closer to the mouse will be compressed/expanded more than events further away.

Quote:
Also is it correct that for some of the scripts the mousewheel + modifier function essentially functions in the same way as the keyboard shortcut and in some of the others it gives additional control, for example letting you determine the curve of a ramp?
Indeed. The mousewheel only offers additional control to some of the scripts.

BTW, I would advise users to use only a single mousewheel+modifier, linked to the "js_Run" master control script, instead of linking a different mousewheel+modifier to each separate script. Even if you run a script via its own keyboard shortcut, you can still control it via the mousewheel+modifier linked to js_Run.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #219
The Bunker

Ahhhh awesome! that is all really clear and it explains the behaviour of those particular scripts very clearly. Thanks again. How do I make donations?
Old 06-13-2017, 04:40 PM   #220
juliansader

Quote:
How do I make donations?
Thanks!

Paypal link for donations
Old 09-17-2017, 04:32 AM   #221
SBK

Hey guys,

I think I can't make it work. I don't know how.
I have the scripts installed, but when I do an action and run the js_run nothing happens.

Could anyone help me please?
SBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:46 AM   #222
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK View Post
I think I can't make it work. I don't know how.
I have the scripts installed, but when I do an action and run the js_run nothing happens.
Most of the scripts provide extensive Descriptions and Instructions inside the script itself. These can be read in REAPER's built-in script editor, or in ReaPack 1.1's "About" window. There are also helpful discussions in this thread itself, in particular this post. Please let me know if these instructions are not sufficiently clear!

Also, please give a +1 for the bug report: Actions armed by right-clicking toolbar button do not work in CC lane. If we can get this bug fixed, you would be able to use REAPER's native "arming" feature to run my CC editing scripts from the toolbar, without requiring the js_Run script.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:59 AM   #223
srdmusic

Hey Julian, Is there a way to get your scripts to apply to multiple midi items?

For example, I'd like to draw a linear line or a curved line across multiple midi parts. If I use the pencil tool it works but not scripts.

This also seems to be the case for scripts that increase or decrease CC data which I believe is a stock script.
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:10 AM   #224
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdmusic View Post
Hey Julian, Is there a way to get your scripts to apply to multiple midi items?
Unfortunately not, since scripts do not (yet) have proper access to the list of editable takes in an editor. I have submitted a FR some time ago: ReaScript: Functions to get and set editable/visible state of takes in MIDI editor. In that thread, I describe a (lengthy) workaround to get editable takes, but it will not work reliably in all situations.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #225
_Stevie_

Julian, this is amazing! I was about to ask if someone could code something like the grid pattern selection. I did something similar in Cubase with the Logical Editor, but this is by far superior! Thank you so much :-)
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:45 AM   #226
DynamicK

Amazing stuff you've done Julian. In the process of jumping ship from Cubase and I never expected to find anything that would rival the Logical Editor. Outstanding.
DynamicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #227
DynamicK

Quote:
BTW, I would advise users to use only a single mousewheel+modifier, linked to the "js_Run" master control script, instead of linking a different mousewheel+modifier to each separate script. Even if you run a script via its own keyboard shortcut, you can still control it via the mousewheel+modifier linked to js_Run.
Julian, I wondered why nothing was happening, and then read this.
I can assign a Keystroke shortcut, but when I ADD the second shortcut as "Mousewheel" by moving the wheel,
I get a message saying that it is assigned to Zoom Horizontal, and I must override that assignment.
So I will lose that behaviour whilst in the Midi Editor permanently?
Old 12-11-2017, 11:06 AM   #228
DynamicK

Never mind, I forgot to RTFM!!! in the Script Editor. Never knew what it was. So now I put in Ctrl+Shift+Mousewheel and there aren't any conflicts
NewB always asking stupid questions!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2017, 06:06 PM   #229
_Stevie_

Hey DynamicK! Yeah, it's great what we have available in Reaper, isn't it?
I switched from Cubase to Reaper some weeks ago, as well.
Feel free to contact me via PM, if you want to know something. Maybe I can help
Old 12-12-2017, 03:46 AM   #230
DynamicK

Thanks Stevie. At the moment just trying to recreate my Cubase workflow /LE shortcuts /Layouts. Getting there slowly.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:41 AM   #231
_Stevie_

Same here, maybe this is of use for you:
https://forums.cockos.com/showthread...27#post1924427

Something that I used to use a lot in Cubase.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:38 AM   #232
Philbo King

This was a very timely bump - with all the new guys coming from Sonar, this should help them immensely.

I plan to install this soon, but like all powerful tools, I expect it will take a bit of time to learn and master, so I need to wait for an 'in-between-projects' period where I can play with it a bit.

I agree the Devs should, once it has been thoroughly shaken out and debugged, add this to Reapers core functionality. It appears to address and solve a lot of the issues related to midi CC editing.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:36 AM   #233
ClassicMan

Default How To Use "Insert linear ramps between CCs"

I am new to Reaper having moved from Sonar and would like to use one of your scripts.

I need to be able add specified start and end CC points and draw a smooth and gradual line between them.

For example add CC11 40 and 100 points then add a smooth gradient between them.

It seems that your Insert linear or shaped ramps between selected CCs or pitches in lane under mouse will do the job. I have downloaded and installed the ReaPacks and your script is listed under "Extensions".Would someone please help with details on how I actually now use the script. What do I do next to see this work with my selected CC data.

Many thanks.
ClassicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #234
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicMan View Post
I am new to Reaper having moved from Sonar and would like to use one of your scripts.

I need to be able add specified start and end CC points and draw a smooth and gradual line between them.

For example add CC11 40 and 100 points then add a smooth gradient between them.

It seems that your Insert linear or shaped ramps between selected CCs or pitches in lane under mouse will do the job. I have downloaded and installed the ReaPacks and your script is listed under "Extensions".Would someone please help with details on how I actually now use the script. What do I do next to see this work with my selected CC data.

Many thanks.
Welcome to REAPER!

Since you are new here, I am not quite sure in how much detail I should describe each step -- could you let me know if you are already familiar with the following features?

* REAPER's Actions list and the different sections such as "Main", "MIDI editor", etc? (The different sections in REAPER's Actions list are not only relevant to scripts, but also to all other native actions and custom actions. By dividing actions into sections, REAPER allows you to use the same shortcut for different actions in different sections, so that you don't run out of shortcut keys. For example, when working in the main Arrange window, you can use "S" to split items, and while working in the MIDI editor, you can use "S" to split notes.)

* Assigning keyboard shortcuts and mousewheel shortcuts to actions in the Actions list? (Most users like to assign mousewheel shortcuts, such as shift+mousewheel, to zooming and scrolling actions.)

* It is simpler to run my scripts via keyboard shortcuts, but you can optionally link them to toolbar button too. Do you know how to customize REAPER's toolbars and link actions to toolbar buttons?

Last edited by juliansader; 01-10-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #235
ClassicMan

Hello juliansader,

Thank you so much for such a prompt reply; very impressive.

Quote:
* Are you familiar with REAPER's Actions list and the different sections such as "Main", "MIDI editor", etc?
Yes, I'm fine with Reaper's Actions list; I've already used it quite a few times. I also understand the different sections. I'm on my third project with Reaper and have used the MIDI editor extensively.

Quote:
* Do you know how to assign keyboard shortcuts and mousewheel shortcuts to actions in the Actions list? (Most users like to assign mousewheel shortcuts, such as shift+mousewheel, to zooming and scrolling actions.)
Yes, I've assigned keyboard shortcuts to actions. I haven't assigned mousewheel shortcuts although I think I'm ok with that too as I see that we can just move the wheel to assign it just like pressing a keyboard key.

Quote:
* It is simpler to run my scripts via keyboard shortcuts, but you can optionally link them to toolbar button too. Do you know how to customize REAPER's toolbars and link actions to toolbar buttons?
Yes, I've customised Reaper's toolbar and added custom buttons assigned to Actions. I's be quite happy to run your scripts via keyboard shortcuts though.

Thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #236
juliansader

You are familiar with almost everything that is needed to use my scripts, so the next steps should be easy:

INSTALLATION: If ReaPack has installed correctly, and you have already downloaded the scripts (Extensions -> ReaPack -> Synchronize packages), my scripts should show up in the Actions list's MIDI editor section. Do you see them there?

You can assign a keyboard shortcut to the "Insert linear or shaped ramps between selected CCs or pitches in lane under mouse" script, similar to how you assign a shortcut to any native action (I personally use ctrl+alt+V, for example), and if you press the shortcut while the mouse is over some CC lane with selected CCs, the script will insert CCs in-between the selected CCs in that lane.

GETTING HELP: Most of my scripts provide extensive Descriptions and Instructions. These can be read in two ways:
* by opening the script file in any text editor (or in REAPER's built-in script editor, by clicking the "Edit" button in the Actions list),
* or via ReaPack's browser, by right-clicking the script and selecting "About this package". (ReaPack's "About" window automatically updates as you scroll through the scripts, so it is an easy way to browse script descriptions.)

MOUSE MODIFIERS VS CONTINUOUS SCRIPTS: The "js_Insert..." script, like most other actions, runs once and then quit. Some other scripts, such as my Warp scripts, are more like the left-drag mouse modifier actions with which you draw CCs: the script continues to run while you move the mouse, until you stop the script.

However, continuous scripts respond to shortcut keys and mouse buttons in an opposite way to mouse modifier actions:
* To run a mouse modifier action, you press the keyboard modifiers (such as ctrl) and the mouse button together, and then hold them all down while moving the mouse.
* In contrast, to run continuous scripts, press the shortcut key *once* to start the script and then move the mouse or mousewheel *without* pressing any mouse buttons. Press the shortcut key again once to stop the script.

(The first time that the script is stopped, REAPER will pop up a dialog box asking whether to terminate or restart the script. Select "Terminate" and "Remember my answer for this script".)

MOUSEWHEEL SHORTCUTS: By default, REAPER can only link one Action with one mousewheel shortcut (such as Ctrl+Shift+mousewheel with "Zoom vertically").

However, linking each of my scripts to its own mousewheel shortcut is not ideal, since it would mean that the user must remember several modifier combinations, one for each script. (Mousewheel modifiers such as Ctrl+Shift+mousewheel are more difficult to remember than keyboard shortcuts such as "A".)

My scripts therefore uses a trick by which one script, namely "js_Run..." (which acts like a kind of 'master control' script) broadcasts mousewheel movements to all other scripts. You only have to link this one script to a mousewheel+modifier shortcut, and its mousewheel shortcut can then control the curve of any of the other scripts such as Arch or Compress.

Quote:
I have downloaded and installed the ReaPacks and your script is listed under "Extensions".
If you are referring to the ReaPack browser, scripts should be listed under "Scripts", and only "ReaPack package manager" (or perhaps other extensions) should be listed under "Extensions".

Last edited by juliansader; 01-11-2018 at 03:06 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:55 AM   #237
ClassicMan

Quote:
You are familiar with almost everything that is needed to use my scripts, so the next steps should be easy:

INSTALLATION: If ReaPack has installed correctly, and you have already downloaded the scripts (Extensions -> ReaPack -> Synchronize packages), my scripts should show up in the Actions list's MIDI editor section. Do you see them there?
Yes, I see your scripts in the Actions MIDI Editor section.

Quote:
..... You can assign a keyboard shortcut to the "Insert linear or shaped ramps between selected CCs or pitches in lane under mouse" script, similar to how you assign a shortcut to any native action (I personally use ctrl+alt+V, for example), and if you press the shortcut while the mouse is over some CC lane with selected CCs, the script will insert CCs in-between the selected CCs in that lane.
I followed your directions and placed my mouse over the CC lane with selected CCs then pressed my shortcut.

The small dialogue opened with the four options but I don't know what they mean.

I tried changing them to see what happens but they reverted back to the previous settings.

Another question:
Is there a way I can set the start and end points so the line drawn by your script starts and ends with the numbers I set.

For example, set start at 40 and end at 100

Quote:
GETTING HELP: Most of my scripts provide extensive Descriptions and Instructions. These can be read in two ways:
* by opening the script file in any text editor (or in REAPER's built-in script editor, by clicking the "Edit" button in the Actions list),
* or via ReaPack's browser, by right-clicking the script and selecting "About this package". (ReaPack's "About" window automatically updates as you scroll through the scripts, so it is an easy way to browse script descriptions.)
I found your descriptions and instructions via ReaPack's browser. Thanks for that.

Michael
Old 01-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #238
EvilDragon

Quote:
For example, set start at 40 and end at 100
These actions will work depending from which value you start drawing them, and depending where your mouse is when you end the action by pressing the key binding again. So, watch the mouse info in MIDI editor when you're in CC lane to choose your starting and ending points:

EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #239
ClassicMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
These actions will work depending from which value you start drawing them, and depending where your mouse is when you end the action by pressing the key binding again. So, watch the mouse info in MIDI editor when you're in CC lane to choose your starting and ending points:
Thanks EvilDragon, that's a great tip and very helpful.

However, I'm missing something very basic here. Although the script is installed and when I place my mouse over a CC lane with a selection and press my shortcut key the dialogue opens, but the script seems to not do anything.

When I drag my mouse the CC events are drawn in but in the default manner as without any script.

In the video, start and end points are entered then a smooth gradient between them is drawn in. How is that done?

Old 01-11-2018, 01:12 PM   #240
juliansader

Quote:
The small dialogue opened with the four options but I don't know what they mean.
Cool, it seem that everything is working correctly!

Which of the four options are unclear?

The "Shape" option is perhaps not self-explanatory. You can choose between
* a "sine" shape by entering "s",
* linear or power curve by entering a number. The number is the exponent of the function y = x^number, so 1 implies a linear, straight line; 2 implies a quadratic curve, etc.

Quote:
I tried changing them to see what happens but they reverted back to the previous settings.
The script does not recall last-used settings. However, you can change the default values by editing the script's "USER AREA".

Quote:
Is there a way I can set the start and end points so the line drawn by your script starts and ends with the numbers I set.
To set start and end values, you have to insert or select CCs with those specific numbers, before running the script.

As EvilDragon mentioned above, you can check the precise CC values in the MIDI editor before inserting them.

My script "js_Insert CC or pitch at mouse position, leaving others selected" is particularly useful for inserting CC nodes before running the Insert ramp script, as in the Pitch lane in the GIF.

Quote:
However, I'm missing something very basic here. Although the script is installed and when I place my mouse over a CC lane with a selection and press my shortcut key the dialogue opens, but the script seems to not do anything.
Do you mean that no CCs are inserted in the lane?

Could you perhaps upload a GIF to illustrate the problem? (I am not quite sure what is happening.)

Quote:
When I drag my mouse the CC events are drawn in but in the default manner as without any script.
The script inserts CCs *after* you have selected or drawn the initial CC "nodes", so it will not change the left-drag drawing action.

Quote:
In the video, start and end points are entered then a smooth gradient between them is drawn in. How is that done?
Which of the CC lanes in the GIF are you referring to?