Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-21-2017, 07:05 PM   #281
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by explodingPSYCH View Post
I'm using the Faderport (not 8) with the with the XT extension. I was thinking maybe something about the extension has the undo/redo feature disable accidentally?
Thanks... Undo should work by default in that case. However, you can set custom button actions in the reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini file. The post below sounds like it's possible to tweak undo if it doesn't already work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nimaj
I've updated the driver to allow every button except shift to be assignable. To reflect this I've updated the ini file in the download with the new possible entries.

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=134
So if you look in the ini file, chances are you can see what the ActionID is set to for Undo and make sure it is set to 40029.

Last edited by karbomusic; 03-21-2017 at 07:10 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:17 AM   #282
roby rc

Default Output button volume/pan flip mode not working

Hello first thanks for this my faderport is working well apart from the output button volume /pan flip mode,ive got the code for output/output shift set to 0 which i believe is the default setting but no joy.Any help welcomed thanks Roby
roby rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:55 AM   #283
playtimer

Oh I am so glad I ran into this thread! My Faderport started acting weird lately, only to find that it was under 1.3.5 firmware.

Succesfully updated to the latest firmware 1.3.8 and loaded FaderPortXT drivers. And my FP came back to life!

I want to thank again to Karbomusic for starting this thing several years ago and The_Nimaj for continued effort to make it even better. You guys rock!

Thank you!
Play

Last edited by playtimer; 03-27-2017 at 06:56 AM.
playtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:58 AM   #284
kotsaris

I also bought a Faderport because of this thread.Really thank you everyone who contributed to this project!
One thing I have not find out if it is possible.Can modified Faderport adjust Midi CC values?
kotsaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:16 PM   #285
stevo58

Thanks for this! I just bought a Faderport to replace the BCR2000 that never really worked right, and with this driver it's just the ticket. Got it up and running nearly right away (I had a brain fart about the .ini file, but that was my fault) and have started the customizations.

steven
stevo58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:23 PM   #286
ReaperMadness

Default README Installation Instructions Boo Boo?

In post #1 here, it says:

"Installation for Windows & OS X ......................

Locate the Reaper Resource Directory. You can find it by starting Reaper and clicking Options > Show Reaper Resource Path in explorer/finder.

Copy reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini to the Resource folder.

Copy the reaper_csurf_fpxt library file (dll for windows; dylib for mac) to the UserPlugins folder. If it doesn’t exist, create it.

Restart Reaper."

Fine.

HOW-EV-ER -

In the "README" included in the ZIP, it leaves out the "INI" step...

"Installation:

1. Locate the Reaper Resource Directory. You can find it by starting Reaper and clicking Options > Show Reaper Resource Path in explorer/finder.

2. Copy the reaper_csurf_fpxt library file (dll for windows; dylib for mac) to the UserPlugins folder. If it doesn’t exist, create it.

3. Restart Reaper."

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =

Last edited by ReaperMadness; 05-13-2017 at 01:54 PM.
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #287
amagalma

Just got a faderport and I am loving the job the three of you have done!

In a future revision, could you add the ability to specify custom actions for the 5 transport keys too? (rew, ffw, stop, play, rec)

Thanks!

P.S. Do SWS actions work? How are they defined? Both ACTION_TRANS_SHIFT="_SWSSNAPSHOT_OPEN" and ACTION_TRANS_SHIFT=_SWSSNAPSHOT_OPEN do not work...

Last edited by amagalma; 06-01-2017 at 02:24 PM.
amagalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #288
jamie rustic

hello:

im so glad to see that folks have resurrected the faderport in reaper. i purchased mine in 2013 and havent used it in several years.

i do have a couple questions about the process, tho.

i downloaded (what i believe is) the most current xt package from the link on the first page of this thread and followed the instructions for my win10/64 machine (reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini into the \AppData\Roaming\REAPER folder and reaper_csurf_fpxt.dylib into the \UserPlugins directory nested inside), restarted reaper but no luck. i can see that faderport shows up in the windows device manager and reapers audio > midi devices.

can anyone give advice on why this doesnt seem to work?

also, is there a simple list of the base functionality and current optional changes that can be implemented with this build? ive read through this thread but its a bit confusing as to what is available by default and what can be extended.

thanks very much in advance,
jr
jamie rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:33 PM   #289
amagalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie rustic View Post
hello:

im so glad to see that folks have resurrected the faderport in reaper. i purchased mine in 2013 and havent used it in several years.

i do have a couple questions about the process, tho.

i downloaded (what i believe is) the most current xt package from the link on the first page of this thread and followed the instructions for my win10/64 machine (reaper_csurf_fpxt.ini into the \AppData\Roaming\REAPER folder and reaper_csurf_fpxt.dylib into the \UserPlugins directory nested inside), restarted reaper but no luck. i can see that faderport shows up in the windows device manager and reapers audio > midi devices.

can anyone give advice on why this doesnt seem to work?

also, is there a simple list of the base functionality and current optional changes that can be implemented with this build? ive read through this thread but its a bit confusing as to what is available by default and what can be extended.

thanks very much in advance,
jr
You need the .dll file. dylib is for Mac
Old 06-08-2017, 10:06 PM   #290
jamie rustic

amagalma:

sorry. i had put both files (reaper_csurf_fpxt.dylib & reaper_csurf_fpxt64.dll) in C:\Users\jamie\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\UserPlugins. no luck.

the faderport did light up before i tried to associate it with reaper but now i dont get any response from the unit. i do still see it in computer management (device manager).

jr

Last edited by jamie rustic; 06-08-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:30 PM   #291
xaverle

@ Jamie,
are you shure the Faderport is listed as "control surface" in your Options/preferencies?
As far i know it does not work, when it`s listed as Midi device.

Greetz

Alex
xaverle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:06 AM   #292
StateoftheNation

Default Faderport

I bought a faderport today.
Are the latest files in the first post?
StateoftheNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #293
jamie rustic

alex:

you rock (and i may be a bit dim). i had been expecting the configuration within midi devices, not control surfaces. when i made that change the device responds.

at this point i can verify the following functionality:

* 2-way motorized fader interaction
* pan
* play/stop/rec
* channel (and bank) select scroll arrows
* mute/solo/record arm
* fader mode- r/w/t/off
* loop (on/off)

i'll re-read the thread to try to gather the options that folks have implemented.

thanks very much!
jr
Old 06-09-2017, 11:17 AM   #294
jamie rustic

all:

had an idea- is there any chance folks that have customized faderport functionality could make a video to demonstrate? i think so many people are visual learners and having an opportunity to understand the changes and how they are used within a workflow would be so very useful.

anyone?

jr
Old 06-09-2017, 11:20 AM   #295
karbomusic

All there really is to learn is to grab action IDs from the action list in Reaper (you may have to right-click inside the action window and check "show action IDs"), then take the action ID you care about and make that the ID in the INI file for the button you want it to be triggered from.

So let's say you want to use a footswitch connected to the faderport to be the same as pressing record, you'd just change the ID to the record ID:

ACTION_FOOTSWITCH=1013

And that's it. I'm not opposed to making a video but not sure when I or anyone else would have the time to prepare and make it. There is a caveat that only numbered IDs work - at least that is how it was when I was working on the project so be aware of that. Any other settings in the INI file should hopefully be self-explanatory in the example in the first post.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #296
amagalma

@jamie: glad you sorted it out!

@karbomusic: I would like to add the ability to specify custom actions for the 5 transport keys too (rew, ffw, stop, play, rec) [in order to use custom play/stop/rec actions]

I have no idea about C++ but I think I will manage to reverse engineer and find what I should change in order to add this ability but I have no idea how to compile, what programs I need etc.. Could you help?
Old 06-16-2017, 12:35 PM   #297
amagalma

Another great addition would be the ability to toggle between automation modes. We have 6 automation modes in Reaper and 4 "Fader Mode" buttons on the Faderport.

We could make these four buttons to be able to load custom actions, and then make cycle actions with SWS so that:
Read button: cycles between Trim/Read and Read mode
Write button: as it is
Touch button: as it is
Off button: cycles between Latch and Latch Preview modes

If I knew how to compile stuff, then I would give a shot at trying to code it..
Old 06-16-2017, 12:41 PM   #298
karbomusic

You can actually look at and/or download all the code here...

https://github.com/TheNimaj/Faderport_XT

I haven't touched in a couple years now so I'm probably not the greatest resource. Before it was ported to also work on Mac, you could just compile in the free version of Visual Studio but I literally have no idea of the entire build process now.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:34 PM   #299
amagalma

Thanks for the help!

Where do I find the free version of Visual Studio? Is this the one?

And how do I load the stuff and compile? Do I simply press a compile button somewhere in the program?
Old 06-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #300
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
Thanks for the help!

Where do I find the free version of Visual Studio? Is this the one?

And how do I load the stuff and compile? Do I simply press a compile button somewhere in the program?
That should be the right one, the command is in the build menu but I'll bet there is enough complexity there that it may not magically build without environmental adjustments, configuration and so on. That's where it may get a little tricky. There is however, the ability to view the source files one by one in that GitHub link I posted, you should at least look at some of those so you can just see what the code looks like logically.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:51 AM   #301
amagalma

Ok, after a lot of tests and reverse-engineering, I found out that the ability to assign custom actions to the Transport bars is already there! :S

One, has simply to add
Code:
ACTION_STOP= (custom ID)
ACTION_STOP_SHIFT= (custom ID)
ACTION_PLAY= (custom ID)
etc
to define the custom actions he/she wants for these buttons.

I added the ability to cycle between Write and Latch Preview modes when pressing the Write button, and between Touch and Latch modes when pressing the Touch one.

DLLs are here:
https://stash.reaper.fm/30975/reaper_csurf_fpxt32.dll
https://stash.reaper.fm/30990/reaper_csurf_fpxt64.dll

Oh, Reaper and all of you guys are so awesome!

Last edited by amagalma; 06-20-2017 at 09:36 AM.
amagalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:24 AM   #302
Mottemania

Has anyone else the problem that if I switch between Reaper and maybe the browser the Faderport isn't responding anymore?!
Mottemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:13 PM   #303
amagalma

New version uploaded in a new thread here
Old 07-01-2017, 02:58 PM   #304
orbiterred

any one know if it's possible to prevent the XT from following touched faders on another control surface (faderport 8). If i'm riding multiple faders on the 8 the XT goes crazy because it's trying to track them all and it just grinds... can't be good for the hardware. otherwise they are a perfect match.
orbiterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:29 AM   #305
orbiterred

is it possible to have the faderport "lock" to a specific track (ideally the master) without jumping away every time you touch another track?
Old 09-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #306
jzucker

I got my presonus faderport and installed the driver and have everything pretty much working the way I want.

However, the default for the footswitch was play instead of record.

I went to the actions menu and tried getting it to listen to the midi event but it never saw it. Any idea why?

So instead of doing that, I went into the ini file to change the footswitch default to record but I couldn't find the record action id anywhere. I ended up finding it in a google search and once I input it into the footswitch value in the ini file and restarted reaper it worked. Where is the complete list of action ids? One google search said it's at the right side of the list box in the define actions dialog but it wasn't there for me.

I notice the device gets some power from USB, anyone know if it can be used in some capacity without the power cord connected? Didn't seem to in reaper.

Also, can reaper be coerced into re-reading the ini file without having to restart?
jzucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:23 PM   #307
G-Sun

Reaper rule #1: Right click everything

Quote:
Reload .ini file during runtime (Shift + Stop + Play; Shift does _not_ latch for this)
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:40 PM   #308
jzucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Reaper rule #1: Right click everything

how do you hit stop and play at the same time? (space bar for both) or are you just kidding?

Another question? Is there any reason to keep the power supply plugged into the fader port if I don't need the motorized fader?
jzucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #309
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
Another question? Is there any reason to keep the power supply plugged into the fader port if I don't need the motorized fader?
Not to my knowledge but if not motorized, you might end up in scenarios where the FP fader doesn't align with the selected track then you touch the fader and it changes the volume to what the Faderport fader was set to instead of the fader in reaper.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:08 AM   #310
Flavio

Quote:
how do you hit stop and play at the same time? (space bar for both) or are you just kidding?
I assume he was referring to the faderport, not reaper...
shift+stop+play (of Faderport) will reload the faderport ini file.

Last edited by Flavio; 09-15-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:12 AM   #311
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiterred View Post
any one know if it's possible to prevent the XT from following touched faders on another control surface (faderport 8). If i'm riding multiple faders on the 8 the XT goes crazy because it's trying to track them all and it just grinds... can't be good for the hardware. otherwise they are a perfect match.
XT doesn't support FP8 unfortunately so I don't know what will/won't work.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:12 AM   #312
G-Sun

Quote:
Where is the complete list of action ids? One google search said it's at the right side of the list box in the define actions dialog but it wasn't there for me.
https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#tzg9fifza0s

(right click actionlist for ID)
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:13 AM   #313
karbomusic

Quote:
So instead of doing that, I went into the ini file to change the footswitch default to record but I couldn't find the record action id anywhere.

Quote:
I ended up finding it in a google search and once I input it into the footswitch value in the ini file and restarted reaper it worked. Where is the complete list of action ids? One google search said it's at the right side of the list box in the define actions dialog but it wasn't there for me.

As GSun said, right-click everything, in this case if you right-click in the actions window there is a context-menu with the choice to show action IDs beside the action. There is a caveat, if it is a custom action or otherwise one with a GUID instead of a integer, it may not work. Very early on when we began this project, only integer IDs were needed and the SDK had us using those. Thusly, I don't think it was ever rewritten to be able to pass GUIDS instead of integers so it may not be possible to use a custom action on the FP.

Edit: Based on the first post, ^this may now be possible.

Last edited by karbomusic; 09-15-2017 at 07:21 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:21 AM   #314
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiterred View Post
is it possible to have the faderport "lock" to a specific track (ideally the master) without jumping away every time you touch another track?
I don't think so, however, I thought I had created the ability for the Output button to auto-select the master for easy access but I'm not sure if that changed after I handed the project off to the new owner.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:56 AM   #315
cjewellstudios

This thread!

This work that you all have done!

It's blowing my mind right now, thank you very much!

I have read through about 90% of this thread and have a question that I don't think has popped up.

Setup: I'm using a behringer cmd touch to trigger actions (which is amazing btw)

The set of actions I'm concerned with are "show fx chain slot 1" through however many slots there are. So I use the pan knob to scroll through the tracks (amazing) and then the cmd touch to call up the plugin window I want (also amazing)

If i call anything other than slot 1, the "last touched param" thing doesn't work until I press the arrow keys on the faderport to "focus" on that plugin. So right now calling on 'show fx chain slot 3' brings the fx chain window up and the 3rd plugin up, then I have to put the faderport in fx mode and then hit the right arrow on the FP twice to get it focuses on the 3rd plugin.

Is there a way to automate this with a custom action? Say if I want slot 3 to pop up and fx mode focused on slot 3 with one button? I guess the larger question is can I put faderport button pushes in a custom action?

I apologize for anything poorly worded.

A smaller bonus question:

Is there a way to bring a plugin window up similar to how I'm doing now but without the fx chain window?

Really though. The work done here is absolutely mind blowing to me. Well done. Thank you!
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:28 PM   #316
endorka

Just a quick note of thanks to yhertogh, karbomusic, the_nimaj and amagalma for their wonderful efforts on making this device happen on Reaper. I bought one of these a few weeks ago and already the device and your software has improved my music making, and made it a lot more fun. The fader and tape transport is so much more of a musical interface than computer keyboard and mouse. Been doing loads of good fader riding of volume and parameters in FX mode. I love it! Cheers, Jennifer
Old 10-08-2017, 06:37 PM   #317
orbiterred

Anyone else tried FX mode with the new Superior Drummer 3? I can't get it to work

FX mode works great (if a little buggy) on everything else I've tried but Superior Drummer doesn't seem to link up.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:13 AM   #318
BobF

I've been using the FaderPort (1) with Reaper via FaderPort XT for some time. It is nothing short of Joy

I'm curious if there is any plan to update FaderPort XT to support the FP8.
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:48 AM   #319
orbiterred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
I've been using the FaderPort (1) with Reaper via FaderPort XT for some time. It is nothing short of Joy

I'm curious if there is any plan to update FaderPort XT to support the FP8.
Would absolutely love this! Happy to be a tester do what I can to contribute if there is any interest!
Old 11-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #320
Judders

My Faderport arrived today, so I'd just like to say thanks to everyone who has been a part of making this happen
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote