Old 07-17-2017, 07:11 AM   #3401
ThrashJazzAssassin
Human being with feelings

Only happens with page snapshot morphing. Subset snapshot morphing returns control at the end of the morph.

Thanks for fixing the errors. Can't make it crash any more. I'll keep trying
Old 07-17-2017, 07:29 AM   #3402
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashJazzAssassin View Post
Only happens with page snapshot morphing. Subset snapshot morphing returns control at the end of the morph.

Thanks for fixing the errors. Can't make it crash any more. I'll keep trying
Thanks - the gif was perfect. update should now fix this issue.
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:07 PM   #3403
NextLevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
Just a thought. What if you had some VST or JSFX midi plugin that output midi CC values for an LFO. These then learnt to a fader in faderbox. How would that affect timing when adjusting playback rate?
As far as MIDI goes, I need something with more granularity(floating point 0.0-1.0 vs MIDI's integer 0-127). Plus I tend to avoid MIDI producing plugins inside of REAPER like the plague.

On the surface MIDI producing vsti can seem as though they are functioning properly, but make a few renders of the same passage and you'll start to notice things like notes not starting on time or overlapping, or being cut short, even ghost notes. You might make 3 or 4 renders of the same part and everything appears fine, but then on the 5th render boom! an error appears in the data. That kind of uncertainty drives me crazy!

If you're doing stuff with very little MIDI data being generated and at low tempo or playrates you might get lucky and not have these issues.

These issues arise because MIDI is being processed inside the audio thread, which is supposed to be a good thing with vsti for sync/timing issues, however something is horribly wrong.

Users have complained about MIDI issues for years! There has been some improvements and I know there are some preference settings that can help with some of these issues but they don't always work or they conflict with other settings such as in a live low latency vs rendering scenario.

One of the coolest MIDI plugins ever, Obscurium by Sugar Bytes can be a nightmare to work with inside RESPER.

...end rant.

Quote:
Thinking out loud - it might be easier to find something or create something in JSFX to do this?? If you think this might work - then I'll look into sometime. No idea how easy to implement an input transfer function - but might be possible.
I thought I hand found almost the perfect solution awhile back with a script by KawaCat.

With this you could even capture envelope data and store it in one of the custom slots. However the custom slots didn't seem to recall the data when closing and re-running the script. Plus it would crash when trying to collect even a moderate amount of data points. I was going to try and contact him about it however there is a bit of a language barrier plus the HUGE turnoff is that he obfuscates the code in his scripts.

Anyway if you wanted to give something like this a try, that would be awesome!

Here are a some ideas:

1) I think I would get rid of the dot traveling through the curve and perhaps just have a moving fader like the one in the snapshots dialog of the Stripper.

2) As for working with multiple parameters, I guess the best thing would be a way to just display one curve at a time. As a side note, I wouldn't expect this thing to handle a lot of parameters, maybe 5-10 at the most.

3) Assignments could be done via 'last touched param.' api. which might be better than importing the plugins list of params for a couple of reasons.
1-Some plugs have a huge amount of params.
2-The params. aren't always labeled properly or at all, so searching through a list is useless.

4) Options for triggering would include:
a. single shot
b. looped
c. continue - what I mean by this is that if a trigger is released before a cycle is complete and then another trigger is received, the cycle then continues from where it left off.
d. Options to trigger via MIDI note or upon transport play, or a button within the UI.
e. Sync or free running.

5) Ability to export to a selected envelope.

6) Not so important, but would be pretty cool --- an input box for custom math formulas.

...anyway, sorry for such a long post.

Cheers!

Last edited by NextLevel; 07-17-2017 at 06:16 PM.
NextLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:17 AM   #3404
lb0

It's interesting you find issues with midi cc data and timing - because by its very nature - a lua/eel/C++ script in Reaper will always have timing issues due to the fact the scripts are run in the graphics thread - so processing is limited to the graphics refresh rate - somewhere between 30 to 50 times per second (and AFAIK there is no way to set up buffers that would trigger things using a timing offset).

So the maths suggest there will often be some (smallish) latency with anything a script does live (around 20ms if it was polling at 50Hz). It depends I guess on when the trigger is activated and whether the script is about to begin polling at the time.

This actually affects all the automation within Stripper, the morphing, any button triggers/ knob turning / faderbox automation etc. You can easily see this when trying to morph anything at less than 1/8 notes (tempo dependent) - clearly the values tend to jump between the extremes rather than neatly travelling between them.

For me - none of it is a problem - I treat minor differences between trigger times as a sort of humanisation of the automation. But for surgical snapshot switching etc - it would become noticeable. With slow fades it's very hard to notice - but it is there. If I need surgical changes - then I'd probably record the automation output by Stripper and then tweak once everything else is set.

So if a JSFX generating MIDI is not going to be accurate enough for you - I'm don't think a lua script generating live automation data is going to be any more accurate, and could be possibly worse. I've not experienced any noticeable issues with MIDI CC automation - but then I probably don't tend to do as much because I tend to mix more than compose/produce nowadays.

But - if you're using Stripper and happy with it's response despite the issues I've mentioned - then that's great and I would consider adding some sort of LFO or complex mod envelope if I could do it cheaply CPU wise (which I probably could - just need to work out the details).

Last edited by lb0; 07-18-2017 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #3405
NextLevel

Quote:
Reaper will always have timing issues due to the fact the scripts are run in the graphics thread - so processing is limited to the graphics refresh rate - somewhere between 30 to 50 times per second (and AFAIK there is no way to set up buffers that would trigger things using a timing offset).
Wow, what a bummer!
Thanks for the insight.

Quote:
But - if you're using Stripper and happy with it's response despite the issues I've mentioned - then that's great and I would consider adding some sort of LFO or complex mod envelope if I could do it cheaply CPU wise (which I probably could - just need to work out the details).
Sure, if you feel up to it, if not, that's ok.

Cheers
Old 07-19-2017, 12:39 AM   #3406
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
Wow, what a bummer!
Thanks for the insight.

Sure, if you feel up to it, if not, that's ok.

Cheers
Yeah - I'm hopeful that when CPU speeds/standard core counts increase in the future - the polling might become more frequent for scripts in Reaper. Even doubling the rate would make a huge difference.

In a way I wish there was a setting that could be played with to manually increase the rate (at our own risk) - knowing the likelyhood might be that some systems grind to a halt/become unstable audio/CPU wise, but it would be interesting to see what would happen nonetheless.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #3407
timbralzoom

Default Controls & Graphics update 22 July

i see some interesting discussion here

EDIT:

Controls & Graphics update 22 July
with more weirdos
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...postcount=2068

Last edited by timbralzoom; 07-21-2017 at 10:25 PM. Reason: controls & graphics update 22 July
timbralzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:12 PM   #3408
ThrashJazzAssassin

I'm getting these errors when changing pages of a strip switcher. The strip works OK when I use it in the project it was made in.

LBX Stripper.lua:31148: attempt to index a nil value (field '?')
LBX Stripper.lua:31134: attempt to index a nil value (field '?')
Old 07-22-2017, 10:51 PM   #3409
NextLevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbralzoom View Post
i see some interesting discussion here

EDIT:

Controls & Graphics update 22 July
with more weirdos
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...postcount=2068

Cool thumping woooofers!

Thanks timb
Old 07-23-2017, 12:32 AM   #3410
timbralzoom

Quote:
Cool thumping woooofers!

Thanks timb
found them in yard sale, was no brainer
Old 07-23-2017, 03:38 AM   #3411
lb0

Quote:
I'm getting these errors when changing pages of a strip switcher. The strip works OK when I use it in the project it was made in.

Will look into when I have a moment.

Do I understand correctly that it's when you save in a strip and drag strip into new project that it causes the error?

Might be useful to have a copy of your rpp and lbxstripper files if possible. But I'll try to repeat the problem here later on.

EDIT: This is the current work in progress:

Still a lot of things to sort out...

Last edited by lb0; 07-23-2017 at 03:47 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:29 AM   #3412
NextLevel

Oh my! Someone's been busy. Can't wait!!!
Old 07-23-2017, 06:59 AM   #3413
lb0

Quote:
Oh my! Someone's been busy. Can't wait!!!
Well a day or two procrastinating - and then once I worked out the best way to achieve it - it's come together pretty quick so far.

Still quite a few housekeeping things to get in order - at the moment it works best for 4/4 - so need to add ability to adjust steps for other time sigs. It keeps in time with the project - but (haven't tested) I predict it won't cope with tempo changes (not sure yet how to overcome that one).

But overall works nicely - very cpu light which was one of my key aims. Even IMO doesn't suffer too badly from the timing issues.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:14 AM   #3414
lb0

Quote:

Interesting - the second 31134 error is to do with Faders.

I haven't been able to repeat the error here yet. Have created a switcher - added strips to it, assigned faders and then saved as new strip.

Loaded this into blank project - all ok... Is there something different you can think of which has caused the error?

I may need to look at your project file/stripper data file to work out what's going on here.

EDIT: Actually - if it is a strip that's causing the problem - can you let me have a copy of the strip file - that would really help

Last edited by lb0; 07-23-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:24 AM   #3415
timbralzoom

Quote:

EDIT: This is the current work in progress:

Still a lot of things to sort out...
Oh my!!

is the shape capture-able / Snapshot based?
Old 07-23-2017, 12:29 PM   #3416
lb0

Quote:
Oh my!!

is the shape capture-able / Snapshot based?
cool gif COOKIES!

at the moment is in very early stages. So if you want anything specific - shout now and explain in detail

Good news - two minutes research and coding + 4 simple lines of code - and I've solved the project tempo & time sig change issue - so it will now track changes and react accordingly.

But soo much more to do...
Old 07-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #3417
timbralzoom

Quote:
cool gif COOKIES!

at the moment is in very early stages. So if you want anything specific - shout now and explain in detail

Good news - two minutes research and coding + 4 simple lines of code - and I've solved the project tempo & time sig change issue - so it will now track changes and react accordingly.

But soo much more to do...

have to stop watching your gif and close my mouth fist!
OK...
Capture-able Modulator Shape & Snapshot based assignment..as like Faders..
so we can freely continue to re-assign modulators and re-draw the shapes!
without breaking/loosing previous ones...
like i was trying to achieve with my poorman's modulator (midishaper) setup.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:30 PM   #3418
ThrashJazzAssassin

Here's the strip that's giving me the 'line 31134' error.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_-...ew?usp=sharing

I can't reproduce the 31148 error (It was the same strip - one time 31134 didn't break, but then 31148 did)

Last edited by ThrashJazzAssassin; 07-23-2017 at 04:43 PM.
ThrashJazzAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #3419
NextLevel

Quote:
cool gif COOKIES!

1) Perhaps A way to record the automation into the modulator by tweeking the parameters knob.

2) A way to trigger the modulators via MIDI note/CC, or keyboard command, with the following options;
a) First time a trigger is received the mod. starts, upon second trigger the mod. is paused and can be resumed from where it left off.
b) A separate mode that instead of resuming from where it left off, it would start over.
c) Same as [a], but upon resume it would reverse direction.

3) A preset system to save/recall mod. data.

4) A modifier key that would lock onto the current value as you are drawing so that its easier to draw straight lines.

5) This one may be a little out of the scope of what you're doing so if you don't feel like implementing it then no worries.
Let me explain; The thing I liked about kawa's script from my previous post was that you could select points in one of REAPERs automation envelopes and then click 'capture' and it would import the data into the script. That was pretty handy because you could run various other scripts on REAPERs envelope data at anytime such as (compress/expand, flip horz/vert, tilt, etc.) and then just recapture.

6) Perhaps a way to import csv data from a txt file.

...anyway, just some ideas, feel free to implement any, all or none.

Cheers!
Old 07-24-2017, 01:08 PM   #3420
lb0

Quote:
1) Perhaps A way to record the automation into the modulator by tweeking the parameters knob.

2) A way to trigger the modulators via MIDI note/CC, or keyboard command, with the following options;
a) First time a trigger is received the mod. starts, upon second trigger the mod. is paused and can be resumed from where it left off.
b) A separate mode that instead of resuming from where it left off, it would start over.
c) Same as [a], but upon resume it would reverse direction.

3) A preset system to save/recall mod. data.

4) A modifier key that would lock onto the current value as you are drawing so that its easier to draw straight lines.

5) This one may be a little out of the scope of what you're doing so if you don't feel like implementing it then no worries.
Let me explain; The thing I liked about kawa's script from my previous post was that you could select points in one of REAPERs automation envelopes and then click 'capture' and it would import the data into the script. That was pretty handy because you could run various other scripts on REAPERs envelope data at anytime such as (compress/expand, flip horz/vert, tilt, etc.) and then just recapture.

6) Perhaps a way to import csv data from a txt file.

...anyway, just some ideas, feel free to implement any, all or none.

Cheers!
Wish I'd not mentioned it now

But seriously - all great ideas!

What I'll probably end up doing is releasing a version with the basics done - and then try to implement the other ideas bit by bit where possible.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:38 PM   #3421
timbralzoom

can't stop watching the gif, can't sleep, can't eat..
something's wrong with me
Old 07-24-2017, 03:42 PM   #3422
lb0

Quote:
can't stop watching the gif, can't sleep, can't eat..
something's wrong with me
haha - surely there's no way it can live up to those expectations...

Well - the basic version is nearly ready - prob tomorrow. But this version doesn't yet have capturing mod assignments in snapshots. Nor most of the other requests...

But shouldn't be too long before it's more up to your demands.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:53 PM   #3423
timbralzoom

Quote:
haha - surely there's no way it can live up to those expectations...

Well - the basic version is nearly ready - prob tomorrow. But this version doesn't yet have capturing mod assignments in snapshots. Nor most of the other requests...

But shouldn't be too long before it's more up to your demands.
then party... drinks from me!
Old 07-25-2017, 04:53 AM   #3424
lb0

basic mods released. let me know of any bugs please 3...2...1...

Still much much more to add - but iron out any initial bugs first...
Old 07-25-2017, 06:34 AM   #3425
timbralzoom

cough!..
just installed..no bug report yet, still testing ...
first impression(s)
-definable size.. maybe optionally.

EDIT: this two not so important (but i believe definable size would really useful!)
-movable window - like Snapshot window..
-allow open more than one.

Last edited by timbralzoom; 07-25-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:07 AM   #3426
lb0

Quote:
cough!..
just installed..no bug report yet, still testing ...
first impression(s)
-definable size.. maybe optionally.

EDIT: this two not so important (but i believe definable size would really useful!)
-movable window - like Snapshot window..
-allow open more than one.

ok - thanks. Don't think it would be possible to have multiple windows easily. Due to my design choices, and limited bitmap numbers available (did you know the maximum number of stored bitmap images in Reascript is a lowly 1023! - I'm being very careful how many I use for system use - probably around 100+ or so (depending on what's viewable), versus user use - (ie. how many *different* control/backg images you can have loaded at once).

Currently I've left enough for most user projects - but it would be annoying to hit the ceiling. I can however probably manage them better - but for now definitely - one editor window only I'm afraid. Other things I'd need to take into consideration too to enable this.

Resizing should be easy enough though.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:48 AM   #3427
timbralzoom

Quote:
ok - thanks. Don't think it would be possible to have multiple windows easily. Due to my design choices, and limited bitmap numbers available (did you know the maximum number of stored bitmap images in Reascript is a lowly 1023! - I'm being very careful how many I use for system use - probably around 100+ or so (depending on what's viewable), versus user use - (ie. how many *different* control/backg images you can have loaded at once).

Currently I've left enough for most user projects - but it would be annoying to hit the ceiling. I can however probably manage them better - but for now definitely - one editor window only I'm afraid. Other things I'd need to take into consideration too to enable this.

Resizing should be easy enough though.
wow! 1023 of course i have no idea
please just ignore the more than one part! (& even movable window)

out of curiosity:
even if the controls uses same image, is this increase the bitmap count?
EDIT: never mind Q. seemed stupid now .. because i see you point out already via "different"

just for correcting myself: by definable i meant "fixed" size.. not an actual resizable window.
as a final
definable window size & capture-able shape and assignments ..more than enough to me!

yesterday i was planning to suggest 32 modulators instead of 16 but hey! they are already there

EDIT2:
cosmetic one (also not so important):
i think white color when they selected (instead of blue) for not assigned Faders and Modulators would better

Last edited by timbralzoom; 07-25-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:48 AM   #3428
lb0

Quote:
wow! 1023 of course i have no idea
please just ignore the more than one part! (& even movable window)

out of curiosity:
even if the controls uses same image, is this increase the bitmap count?
EDIT: never mind Q. seemed stupid now .. because i see you point out already via "different"

just for correcting myself: by definable i meant "fixed" size.. not an actual resizable window.
as a final
definable window size & capture-able shape and assignments ..more than enough to me!

yesterday i was planning to suggest 32 modulators instead of 16 but hey! they are already there

EDIT2:
cosmetic one (also not so important):
i think white color when they selected (instead of blue) for not assigned Faders and Modulators would better

Ok thanks... will sort the little things out soon (like colours etc).

New update - can resize window (grab invisible handle - bottom right of Mod edit window). And move - grab title bar and drag...

Yeah - number of modulators is defined in code simply as

modulator_cnt = 32

simply change this to whatever you like (until you start noticing performance issues). I would say it should be possible to have 100 or more without being noticeable... but not tested really. With them all set up to multiple targets - it might start eating cpu...

BTW - sure you've already worked this out - unlike faders - you can assign a modulator to more than one target. But a single control can only be assigned one modulator.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:10 AM   #3429
timbralzoom

Quote:
Ok thanks... will sort the little things out soon (like colours etc).

New update - can resize window (grab invisible handle - bottom right of Mod edit window). And move - grab title bar and drag...

Yeah - number of modulators is defined in code simply as

modulator_cnt = 32

simply change this to whatever you like (until you start noticing performance issues). I would say it should be possible to have 100 or more without being noticeable... but not tested really. With them all set up to multiple targets - it might start eating cpu...

BTW - sure you've already worked this out - unlike faders - you can assign a modulator to more than one target. But a single control can only be assigned one modulator.
Wonderful! also movable! Thank you!

about the number of modulators
honestly i am not sure if i ever need more than 16 at same time
but.. kind a relief to know "i already have more than enough"

yes, assigning to more than one target also seems useful.

EDIT:

one more (also not important)
might be helpful to see actual Modulator name (Mod 1 , Mod 2 ..) instead of "MODULATORS"
in the title bar

that's beautiful!

and action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRz-...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by timbralzoom; 07-25-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:21 PM   #3430
lb0

New update - minor tweaks and fixes.

Colours tweaked for faders and mods when selecting an 'untargeted' fader/mod.

Mod edit window defaults to smaller size (you can always expand it)

If you have the mod edit window open - and click on a control that is a target - it auto selects the mod in the modulator window.

A few other things - that might not be obvious

hold shift when drawing mod steps - it fixes the value - so easy to get multiple rows at same height (NextLevel's suggestion)

hold ctrl when drawing mod steps - only the first step can be altered (so you don't accidentally change any either side).

When increasing or decreasing the step multiplier value - holding shift will actually allow multipliers in between the powers of 2 multipliers. The reason it doesn't cycle through these by default - is that they will change/shift the shape of the envelope destructively - whereas powers of 2 keeps the overall shape intact (although still is destructive when decreasing resolution). Having multipliers such as x3 x5 etc - is useful when working in time signatures other than 4/4 i guess.

Still more tweaking to be done - but out of time today. Things like the fact it's possible to expand the mod window size too far beyond the boundaries - meaning the window can become stuck and you cannot get to the resize handle to make it smaller - only restarting the script will fix it.

I also want to change the mod time shift control to a slider (possibly min and max too).

And of course all the major requests still to do
Old 07-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #3431
timbralzoom

clicking to target parameter to see the assigned modulator automatically...
also seeing mod names on title bar.. i love it!

shift drag was one of the first things i tried..
thank you also thank you NextLevel!

EDIT:
forgot to ask:
is it possible to change bg color of mod window...i mean is there is a line i can tweak?
or just de activating the brightness effect of the sliders?
this is a bummer even to me because i love it..
but hard to see them when you draw low values

what i mean:

nothing urgent / nothing important!
Thank you so much!

Last edited by timbralzoom; 07-25-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:14 PM   #3432
lb0

Quote:
clicking to target parameter to see the assigned modulator automatically...
also seeing mod names on title bar.. i love it!

shift drag was one of the first things i tried..
thank you also thank you NextLevel!

EDIT:
forgot to ask:
is it possible to change bg color of mod window...i mean is there is a line i can tweak?
or just de activating the brightness effect of the sliders?
this is a bummer even to me because i love it..
but hard to see them when you draw low values

what i mean:

nothing urgent / nothing important!
Thank you so much!
Yeah - I did notice the low values being too dark myself - I shall adjust tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:38 PM   #3433
timbralzoom

take a great sleep!
Old 07-26-2017, 07:32 AM   #3434
NextLevel

Lookin' awesome!

Might be nice to have a mode that doesn't rely on transport play being engaged.

Cheers!
Old 07-26-2017, 07:52 AM   #3435
lb0

Quote:
Lookin' awesome!

Might be nice to have a mode that doesn't rely on transport play being engaged.

Cheers!
Will look into.

New update... A few tweaks and fixes.

+ ability to record the current modulator data in with a snapshot.

This only works on the PAGE snapshots - as the modulators are global - seemed pointless adding to a subset as it overwrites all the modulators.

This stores all the modulator info for all mods in each snapshot (when the right-click capture option is set). So understandably - if all your modulators have many steps (eg x128 step multiplier) - then you will be capturing a huge amount of data with every snapshot. Timewise this doesn't seem too much of an issue - the data is recalled in around 0.1 to 1 millisecond on my laptop) - but saving 100+ snapshots each with loads of modulator data will soon stack up memory wise and time to save wise...

Therefore - probably sensible not to have too many steps in the modulators - unless you have tonnes of RAM etc.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:54 AM   #3436
lb0

Quote:
Here's the strip that's giving me the 'line 31134' error.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_-...ew?usp=sharing

I can't reproduce the 31148 error (It was the same strip - one time 31134 didn't break, but then 31148 did)
Sorry - I forgot to mention - does any version from yesterday or later fix the issue you were having? I delved deeper and think I worked out what was going on (before I even looked at your strip data) - and put a fix in place (at least for the issue I identified).

Can you let me know if it's working now - otherwise - I'll look into it again.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:46 AM   #3437
ThrashJazzAssassin

Quote:
Sorry - I forgot to mention - does any version from yesterday or later fix the issue you were having? I delved deeper and think I worked out what was going on (before I even looked at your strip data) - and put a fix in place (at least for the issue I identified).

Can you let me know if it's working now - otherwise - I'll look into it again.
Yes! The strip works with no errors now. Thank you!!
Old 07-26-2017, 08:56 AM   #3438
ThrashJazzAssassin

LBX-faderbox sends a constant stream of OSC data when Note-On-Monitor is enabled

Old 07-26-2017, 09:50 AM   #3439
lb0

Quote:
LBX-faderbox sends a constant stream of OSC data when Note-On-Monitor is enabled

hmmm - will look into - but that is auto-generated as I'm not using Osc in faderbox. might be caused by the latch system constantly resetting values to -1 - but a guess
Old 07-26-2017, 10:13 AM   #3440
lb0

Quote:

ok - dumb question alert. how are you monitoring for the osc. i've downloaded one utility and it doesn't receive anything on port 9000 - although i've only tried setting up whilst eating my dinner - so not really paying much attention.