Old 09-11-2017, 07:45 AM   #1
acintya
Human being with feelings

Default MacOsx in virtual box?

i want to run a plugin in reaper that it is only written for MacOSx.
i rub windows 10 and i dont want a hackintosh.would it be possible to somehow run a virtual mac os in windows 10 and then install reaper for mac and that plugin in the vbox!?
acintya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #2
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by acintya View Post
i rub windows 10 and i dont want a hackintosh.would it be possible to somehow run a virtual mac os in windows 10 and then install reaper for mac and that plugin in the vbox!?
It's totally possible (I have run Reaper "in Windows" in a V-Box in a Linux installation.... Performance will be pretty poor, so if it's vsti of some sort, you may have a hard time getting low enough latency for any real-time performance.
What plugin are you needing to use? Maybe there is already a good (or better) alternative for Windows......
Old 09-11-2017, 09:09 AM   #3
serr

Slightly off topic but is this the future direction everything will go? Apple will continue to drift further away from professional products and OS. We'll build Linux systems and then run virtual installs of older OSX installs depending on what software we're after? (Or Windows installs for the odd Windows-only app.)
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #4
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Slightly off topic but is this the future direction everything will go? Apple will continue to drift further away from professional products and OS. We'll build Linux systems and then run virtual installs of older OSX installs depending on what software we're after? (Or Windows installs for the odd Windows-only app.)
Ha...I won't. I did it just to test something. I won't hold onto old software that tightly, I'll find alternatives or do without.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:04 AM   #5
serr

Do without?! Nope, I'll keep using the old tool then! Not a fan of regression or throwing old tools away when they can still be useful. The new thing needs to be as good or better than the old thing or I'll give you that look like you just grew a third head. (Which is the look Apple is getting from me right now. Windows always got that look and continues to.)

But it sure looks like that's the direction things are headed in for good or bad.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #6
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Do without?! Nope, I'll keep using the old tool then! Not a fan of regression or throwing old tools away when they can still be useful. The new thing needs to be as good or better than the old thing or I'll give you that look like you just grew a third head. (Which is the look Apple is getting from me right now. Windows always got that look and continues to.)

But it sure looks like that's the direction things are headed in for good or bad.
To each their own......

I could use a third head, so I say change is good.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #7
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
To each their own......

I could use a third head, so I say change is good.
Well, with Reaper...
Old 09-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #8
tzzsmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by acintya View Post
and is your rig strong enough to run another OS in virtual environment, cpu+ram+disk wise? because if you have mediocre specs, then it makes no sense to attempt virtualOS running simultaneously, and if you could afford killer-spec PC, then you could really save yourself lots of trouble and just buy some second-hand macmini from 2011-2012
Old 09-13-2017, 11:56 PM   #9
acintya

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzzsmk View Post
and is your rig strong enough to run another OS in virtual environment, cpu+ram+disk wise? because if you have mediocre specs, then it makes no sense to attempt virtualOS running simultaneously, and if you could afford killer-spec PC, then you could really save yourself lots of trouble and just buy some second-hand macmini from 2011-2012
its not bad. dual xeon 12 core and 32gb ram.
here is what i want to use:

http://www.five12.com/hq/N4

i dont get companyes that only develop for mac (such small programs). such tools should be not really hard to port it to windows
acintya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:13 AM   #10
zeekat

Pretty sure virtualizing recent OSX macs on a regular PC system is not supported, virtualbox (or whatever hypervisor you'd like) won't be emulating neccesary Apple stuff like its BIOS to get recognized by system as an Apple machine. I guess there are some hacky ways, but in such case you'd be not only losing performance by virtualization, but also stability by using some kludgy shady hack to run the thing. +1 to finding a cheap Mac or a replacement for that plug.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:24 PM   #11
Doc Brown

I don't want to take a detour but this is a very capable step sequencer.

Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote