Old 11-11-2017, 10:06 AM   #1
zappazapper
Human being with feelings

Default Huge spike in CPU load

The project currently has 76 tracks... Many of those are folders... Most of the song is using about 50 of those tracks, and plays fine with the performance meter never going above 10%... When it gets to the short part where the rest of the tracks play, the performance meter spikes to above 100% and the whole system locks up... It doesn't crash and it will stop eventually when I hit stop... My computer is admittedly not very powerful but I'm not running any effects except for three delay lines for phase alignment and the performance meter doesn't show any particular track spiking, just the CPU itself...

The project is my attempt at the November REAPER mix contest so if you've already downloaded the source files, I can send my project file if needed... I'm just in the editing phase and can't move forward until this issue is solved...

Thanks in advance...
zappazapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:06 PM   #2
dug dog

If it would be helpful, I could try to run your project file on my machine to see if it will behave the same way or not.

(I've pretty much given up on trying to mix that project. LOL.)
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
zappazapper

My apologies... I'm not at home anymore and won't be able to post the file into at least late tonight.

Is it because of the ”everything except acoustic guitar" track? I figure it's good practice for the kind of work that's available for engineers in these days of home recording by people who have no intention of having to ever deal with their own mess. My approach is to embrace the track and all the bleed and start with it and get it sounding as good as I can and then use the other tracks to fill out what's lacking. Kind of the same approach as doing live sound in the sense that you can't just mix a live show in headphones because you have stage volume to take into account, so you start with the stage sound as it goes out into the FOH and you fill it in and build it up with the PA.

I will have that file posted as soon as I can. Thank you.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappazapper View Post

Is it because of the ”everything except acoustic guitar" track?
LOL. I like that moniker.

Truth be told, my mix is about 90% done but I feel that I've pretty much maxed out my benefit/time ratio. I've mixed lots of "heavy spill" stuff in the past and agree that it's good practice.

In this case, I was more interested in figuring out what strategies and tools to use than in bringing the mix to completion. I took the same approach to mixing it that you did, btw, and I expect that's really the only way to get a decent result.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
zappazapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
LOL. I like that moniker.

Truth be told, my mix is about 90% done but I feel that I've pretty much maxed out my benefit/time ratio. I've mixed lots of "heavy spill" stuff in the past and agree that it's good practice.

In this case, I was more interested in figuring out what strategies and tools to use than in bringing the mix to completion. I took the same approach to mixing it that you did, btw, and I expect that's really the only way to get a decent result.
if it's 90% done then i say upload it... you might not be 100% happy with it but there might be an approach that someone sees in your project file that might be helpful... truth be told, this kind of contest where there a limit on what plugins you can use is a little silly and unrealistic (what client is ever going to request that you only mix with ReaPlugs?!) but it makes it easier for us to view eachother's project file, which is why i decided to get involved... i want to learn from others and if someone can learn something from what i do, then that's great...

anyway, my file is too big for the forum... i put it on google drive...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19f...KoaTLKLnbb3LSg

haven't touched it since the problem started... lemme know what happens... it's the section where the tracks in the "Marching Band" folder start playing...
Old 11-13-2017, 01:05 PM   #6
dug dog

That section craps my computer out, too.

I may be missing the obvious, but what's going on with all those tracks? (In the marching band folder.) I see lots of stretch markers so you're clearly tempo correcting, but why so many copies of the snare drum? Perhaps there's another way to achieve your goal here.

At any rate, in real life (apart from this contest) you'd likely render all those tracks to stems and that eliminates the CPU spike.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #7
zappazapper

Quote:
That section craps my computer out, too.

I may be missing the obvious, but what's going on with all those tracks? (In the marching band folder.) I see lots of stretch markers so you're clearly tempo correcting, but why so many copies of the snare drum? Perhaps there's another way to achieve your goal here.

At any rate, in real life (apart from this contest) you'd likely render all those tracks to stems and that eliminates the CPU spike.
ya i used anything i could find to build things up... so you'll notice that there's a second electric guitar in the chorus... i copied and pasted from the first track and rearranged the order of the choruses, so the 2nd chorus part plays first, then the 3rd, then the 1st... and used tempo tracking and stretch markers to correct the minute differences in tempo between each chorus...

and so the marching band thing is kinda the same thing... there's 7 2-bar phrases where the snare plays the same thing, and there's a snare top, snare bottom, and chamber track... so i made 7 folders of 3 tracks each, copied and pasted and stretched them so that all 7 phrases play at the same time, in time, and then copied all 21 tracks so all 7 "marching band drummers" play the phrase 7 times...

and yes, i would typically render those to a stereo stem once i had it sounding the way i wanted it to, but yes, because the nature of the contest discourages it, and also because i can't even play it to figure out if it sounds right or not i'm not able to do that... but anyway, i guess it's a good sign that it locks up on your computer also... it means there isn't something inherently wrong with my computer... it probably means that there's a reason why rendering to stems is an integral part of audio production

anyway, i'll figure it out... thanks a bunch...
Old 11-13-2017, 02:16 PM   #8
dug dog

I'm just spit ballin' here but maybe you could achieve a similar type of marching band thing with several short, panned delays.

At any rate, I commend you for the effort you're putting into this.

Cheers.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:22 PM   #9
zappazapper

Quote:
I'm just spit ballin' here but maybe you could achieve a similar type of marching band thing with several short, panned delays.

At any rate, I commend you for the effort you're putting into this.

Cheers.
yes, there are a few different ways of achieving a "chorus" type of effect but there really is no substitute for multiple discreet takes, and since i was not present at the session and am only able to use the material in the source files, this is as close to multiple takes as i can get... if it wasn't for the cpu locking up, there really would be no argument for NOT doing it this way, as it's more authentic, but here we are and i need to find a solution that allows me to move forward... i will consider your suggestion as i do all others... thank you