Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #201
4duhwinnn
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 316
Default

Hi, no problem with wine-staging 2.20 in Mint 18 with nvidia graphics
mAudio PCI or Fender usb audio. Using linux Reaper 565pre8,
and the windows version is also OK. Checked a good range of commercial
and freewares.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #202
4duhwinnn
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
Serum 32 bit is working in wined-based 64bit Reaper 565pre8

64bit mint 18
using wine-staging 2.20

d2d1 is not disabled, and these are the over-rides
I have installed:

ucrtbase
msvcr120
msvcp140
msvcp120
msvbvm60
mscoree
gdiplus
d3dx9_41
d3dx9_35
d2d1
concrt140
api-ms-win-crt-time-|1-1-0
api-ms-win-crt-runtime-|1-1-0

All the controls seem to work, and the many drawing functions
also are OK, likely not as fluid as a real windows setup.

The 64 bit version just draws a blank window,
and I now defer as Sergeant Schulz.
But Serum 32bit sounds great!
Serum 64bit demo in linux reaper opened with just an empty black screen, but the audio seemed alive, so on a hunch, I invoked reapers
vst sliders gui, and closed it again, and voilaaaAAAHHH,
the real Serum gui appeared. You may have to dock and undock it,
for the gui to be properly placed, and it works good enough for
loading and editing sounds. Some operations reinvoke the demo screen,
but it doesn't seem to effect what was being edited/played.
Demo limit is 20 minute sessions, no saving. The nice sound
and gui reminds me of KV331 Synthmaster One, which is on sale at some places,
and also works well in linux Reaper.

Cheers

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 11-12-2017 at 03:45 PM.
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:04 PM   #203
kytdkut
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
Hi, no problem with wine-staging 2.20 in Mint 18 with nvidia graphics
mAudio PCI or Fender usb audio. Using linux Reaper 565pre8,
and the windows version is also OK. Checked a good range of commercial
and freewares.
Cheers
Ok, so I tried again and it worked. Maybe next time I should close Wine before upgrading :P

Thanks!

EDIT = Nope, it's still not working for me. Addictive Keys does not load (not even its XLN Online Installer, or rather freezes after opening) and some other VSTs GUIs are very sluggish, breaking wine (and all open VSTs) after closing and trying to open again. Also tried wine 2.21; same result. Maybe I should try a fresh WINEPREFIX.

I wonder if OSXMIDI knows something about this. The strange thing is that wine-staging 2.19 works flawlessly, UIs open fast, plugins load fast, everything just works...

Last edited by kytdkut; 11-12-2017 at 07:45 PM. Reason: :(
kytdkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #204
4duhwinnn
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 316
Default

As a strategy, try putting any synthedit, synthmaker,
and sluggish plugins in one folder, outside the vst paths
that linvst uses, and see if they work
well in the windows Reaper in wine. Then test them
with airwave-manager and linux Reaper.
Those still not working can be moved
yet again, and attempt conversion with linvst

Then remove all the linvst created .so files, in the
traditional Program Files subfolders,
and reconvert them with the latest linvst.
I've had best luck with complex installers
by sticking to their default path choices,
as daft as they may occasionally be.

Some plugins may even do better when not in
the Program Files paths, due to the windoze administrator follies,
.wine/drive_c/users/Public/Documents being recommended by
some devs. I have U-he and Native Instruments there.

Maybe your kernel conflicts with something in the
newer wines? If there is a prominent error message, maybe the
gamer communities are sharing your issues, giving the
error search engine status.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:10 AM   #205
kytdkut
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 36
Default

wininet override was giving me problems, saying it couldn't establish a connection or something like that (I could debug and paste error messages if someone needs it). I fixed my problems deleting this override. Thanks 4duhwinnn
kytdkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:51 PM   #206
parhom
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 5
Default

OSXMIDI, first of all I'd like to thank you for your great work on LinVst!

Also, I'd like to report, that Steven Slate Drums Sampler doesn't run with LinVst. It shows the message about license and after that when main window should be rendered it just hangs. With Airwave in the same Wine prefix it runs just fine.
parhom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:41 PM   #207
osxmidi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by parhom View Post
OSXMIDI, first of all I'd like to thank you for your great work on LinVst!

Also, I'd like to report, that Steven Slate Drums Sampler doesn't run with LinVst. It shows the message about license and after that when main window should be rendered it just hangs. With Airwave in the same Wine prefix it runs just fine.
Bit hard to test that one because he doesn't seem to have demos.

Is there any output if Reaper is started from the command line?, maybe then I could get an idea of what might be going on.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:00 AM   #208
digitalscream
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2
Default

Just as a quick addendum - I spotted osxmidi's post on a drive-by from Google, and being a Helix LT owner I've been desperate to get Helix Native running.

Spent an evening futzing around to get it working with linvst, and...it works brilliantly, but with a couple of gotchas not mentioned elsewhere:

1 - It *doesn't* work with wine-rt - but it does work with all the other versions (stable, staging and dev).

2 - It *doesn't* work with the embedded linvst, and I have no idea why. Works with the non-embedded versions, though.

3 - Keyboard input doesn't work, but copy-paste does.

All of this is using Ubuntu 17.10, with the lowlatency kernel and WINE 2.18. Should also be noted that once I'd got the plugins running in Reaper, they also worked with no tweaks in Mixbus too.

Aside from those minor irritations (which took me a while to figure out, because I stubbornly didn't want to unload wine-rt and lose my old Windows Reaper installation), it's great.

The Stillwell plugins I use (Event Horizon, Major Tom, Verbiage and 1973) all work just fine too.

osxmidi: dude, you're my hero.
digitalscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:28 AM   #209
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings
 
Jack Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Luxembourg/Spain
Posts: 1,645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalscream View Post
1 - It *doesn't* work with wine-rt - but it does work with all the other versions (stable, staging and dev).
FWIW, if you don't define the WINE_RT and WINE_SRV_RT environment variables, then wine-rt ought to work 100% the same as any other wine.
__________________
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040,etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:43 AM   #210
osxmidi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalscream View Post
Just as a quick addendum - I spotted osxmidi's post on a drive-by from Google, and being a Helix LT owner I've been desperate to get Helix Native running.

Spent an evening futzing around to get it working with linvst, and...it works brilliantly, but with a couple of gotchas not mentioned elsewhere:

1 - It *doesn't* work with wine-rt - but it does work with all the other versions (stable, staging and dev).

2 - It *doesn't* work with the embedded linvst, and I have no idea why. Works with the non-embedded versions, though.

3 - Keyboard input doesn't work, but copy-paste does.

All of this is using Ubuntu 17.10, with the lowlatency kernel and WINE 2.18. Should also be noted that once I'd got the plugins running in Reaper, they also worked with no tweaks in Mixbus too.

Aside from those minor irritations (which took me a while to figure out, because I stubbornly didn't want to unload wine-rt and lose my old Windows Reaper installation), it's great.

The Stillwell plugins I use (Event Horizon, Major Tom, Verbiage and 1973) all work just fine too.

osxmidi: dude, you're my hero.
It's been a while since I tested Helix, and it was like you say, but I think I had it working with the embedded version as well and I used some dll overrides (below) and copy and pasting the reg info worked but typing didn't.

Once it's all set up it seemed to work ok.

----

Line 6 Helix Native (msvcr120.dll and gdiplus.dll overrides) (copy and paste username and password into the registration window)
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #211
David Else
Human being with feelings
 
David Else's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Near London, UK
Posts: 541
Default

I have been experimenting with CentOS 7, it really does seem like the LTS Fedora now it has a recent version of Gnome since 7.4 came out recently.

There is no recent Wine stable for it, so I might have a go at compiling it from scratch and test it all with Reaper and LinVST... that should be interesting, but I may never leave this room and see daylight again
__________________
----------> Fedora Linux Distribution = Computing Joy & Freedom <----------
Learn Digital Audio Home | 'Nebula Explained' Course Out Now! | YouTube Channel | Twitter
David Else is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:08 AM   #212
kytdkut
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 36
Default

I've been wanting to add that all Soundtoys plugins works perfectly with linvst, authorization included (got to authorize through ilok manager before using)

screenshoot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6y46gcjm72pac4n/scap.png?dl=0

(sorry for the non-reaper screenshot, they work in reaper too)
kytdkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:08 AM   #213
swindus
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wuppertal, Germany
Posts: 73
Default

Don't know if it is already mentioned but I would like to report that Reaper is crashing when using the embedded version of LinVst and double clicking on a plugin in the mixer strip to open it. A single click opens the plugin GUI. The standalone version does not crash. The plugin GUI is just closed after opening when double clicked. Looks like the second mouse click causes problems with the embedded version while the plugin GUI is opened.

Keep up the good work, OSXMIDI!!!
swindus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:03 AM   #214
osxmidi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swindus View Post
Don't know if it is already mentioned but I would like to report that Reaper is crashing when using the embedded version of LinVst and double clicking on a plugin in the mixer strip to open it. A single click opens the plugin GUI. The standalone version does not crash. The plugin GUI is just closed after opening when double clicked. Looks like the second mouse click causes problems with the embedded version while the plugin GUI is opened.

Keep up the good work, OSXMIDI!!!
Thanks for letting me know.

It's because of a thread delay that is needed for slower systems running Ubuntu 14.04 to display the embedded window properly when the vst's window is opened.

It's around about a half second delay, and it seems that if the second mouse click is within that half a second then it causes a crash.

It was due to -DEMBEDTHREAD in the embedded Makefiles that is for Ubuntu 14.04.

I think I'll update the Makefiles and Debian Stretch binaries to not have the embed thread and just leave the Ubuntu 14.04 binaries the way they are.

Last edited by osxmidi; 12-11-2017 at 04:41 AM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:38 AM   #215
swindus
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wuppertal, Germany
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
If anyone wants to not have the double click crash, then remove -DEMBEDTHREAD from the embedded Makefile and then compile LinVst.
Thanks for the hint. Removed the flag from the Makefile and now Reaper does not crash anymore. Thanks!
swindus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:59 AM   #216
reddiesel41264
Human being with feelings
 
reddiesel41264's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North East UK
Posts: 478
Default

Does anyone know if Waves Z-Noise will work on Linux?
__________________
David Healey
Purveyor of fine sample libraries (and Kontakt scripting tutorials) - http://xtant-audio.com/
reddiesel41264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:41 PM   #217
osxmidi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiesel41264 View Post
Does anyone know if Waves Z-Noise will work on Linux?
I tried the demo and all went well until Waves licence manager gave up just as the install was about to begin.

Waves Central seems to be using Qt5Network and Qt5Web.

I think that that might be similar to what NI's Native Access is using.

IPHLPAPI.DLL is used by both as well and it had a Wine unimplemented function that should be fixed in future versions of Wine Staging.

Last edited by osxmidi; 12-14-2017 at 03:55 AM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:46 AM   #218
reddiesel41264
Human being with feelings
 
reddiesel41264's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North East UK
Posts: 478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
I tried the demo and all went well until Waves licence manager gave up just as the install was about to begin.

Waves Central seems to be using Qt5Network and Qt5Web.

I think that that might be similar to what NI's Native Access is using.
Darn, thanks for trying. I didn't realise there was a demo or I would have tried myself
__________________
David Healey
Purveyor of fine sample libraries (and Kontakt scripting tutorials) - http://xtant-audio.com/
reddiesel41264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:58 AM   #219
osxmidi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiesel41264 View Post
Darn, thanks for trying. I didn't realise there was a demo or I would have tried myself
It might be easier with future versions of Wine Staging maybe.

I've been testing NI's Native Access and it grinds to a halt with a missing function in IPHLPAPI.DLL and I think Waves Central might be similar.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:56 AM   #220
osxmidi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 467
Default

It might be possible to install Waves plugins by using Waves Central offline installer on a real Windows system/usb stick and then use Waves Central on Linux/Wine to install it and transfer/manage licenses.

But, I don't know for sure because I havn't tried it.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:18 AM   #221
David Else
Human being with feelings
 
David Else's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Near London, UK
Posts: 541
Default

Hello osxmidi,

I am in the process of moving from Fedora to Centos 7.4 (free version of RHEL, as I am sure you know) for the long term support and stability. Now it has been updated to a recent Gnome it's just like Fedora really.

RHEL is all about reliability rather than new packages. I have been in contact with the Wine package maintainer, told him my VST story, and he very kindly just updated the repo with Wine 2.03 stable which is being pushed to testing right now:

https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/upda...ne-2.0.3-1.el7

Centos/RHEL7 needs gcc 4.8.x compatibility, will all be well with me using your binary compiles of LinVST?
__________________
----------> Fedora Linux Distribution = Computing Joy & Freedom <----------
Learn Digital Audio Home | 'Nebula Explained' Course Out Now! | YouTube Channel | Twitter
David Else is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:08 AM   #222
osxmidi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Else View Post
Hello osxmidi,

I am in the process of moving from Fedora to Centos 7.4 (free version of RHEL, as I am sure you know) for the long term support and stability. Now it has been updated to a recent Gnome it's just like Fedora really.

RHEL is all about reliability rather than new packages. I have been in contact with the Wine package maintainer, told him my VST story, and he very kindly just updated the repo with Wine 2.03 stable which is being pushed to testing right now:

https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/upda...ne-2.0.3-1.el7

Centos/RHEL7 needs gcc 4.8.x compatibility, will all be well with me using your binary compiles of LinVST?
I'm pretty sure that the Ubuntu 14.04 versions were made with gcc 4.8 (the gcc version that comes with Ubuntu 14.04).

edit: I just checked and it seems that Ubuntu 14.04 comes with gcc 4.8.4
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:09 PM   #223
David Else
Human being with feelings
 
David Else's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Near London, UK
Posts: 541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
I'm pretty sure that the Ubuntu 14.04 versions were made with gcc 4.8 (the gcc version that comes with Ubuntu 14.04).

edit: I just checked and it seems that Ubuntu 14.04 comes with gcc 4.8.4
Cheers! Will give them a go when it's all set up.
__________________
----------> Fedora Linux Distribution = Computing Joy & Freedom <----------
Learn Digital Audio Home | 'Nebula Explained' Course Out Now! | YouTube Channel | Twitter
David Else is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:41 AM   #224
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings
 
Jack Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Luxembourg/Spain
Posts: 1,645
Default

Some tips on using linvst with reaper.

Every time you update wine, it needs to update the wineprefixes. One way to avoid this happening when you start reaper and thus run into plugins that time out and fail to start properly is to run "WINEPREFIX=/path/to/prefix wineboot -u" after updating wine but before starting reaper. I made a script that I run to update my prefixes after a wine upgrade and this seems to work well.

The other problem can occur when you start reaper and load the first plugin for a specific prefix, again it times out because it takes some time for the wineserver to start. This can be fixed by starting the wineserver before you start reaper itself. In the script I use to start reaper, I've added the following before starting reaper "WINEPREFIX=/path/to/prefix wineserver -p". After reaper has terminated I run "WINEPREFIX=/path/to/prefix wineserver -k" to shutdown the wineserver.
__________________
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040,etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:02 AM   #225
mainframe
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 48
Default

Just wanted to point out that LinVst crashes when I load an fx chain containing windows vsts in reaper. Native linux vst chains work fine. I tried with multiple vsts and it always crashes.

This is the syslog error I get:
Code:
Dec 23 16:56:12 deathstar kernel: [ 4472.494324] reaper5[5032]: segfault at 968 ip 00007f0bb96a921e sp 00007f0b83ffeed0 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f0bb966d000+13a000]
I'm running the latest reaper native version on debian with kxstudio as jack repo. The LinVst version is the embedded one version 1.7.5
mainframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:47 AM   #226
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings
 
Jack Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Luxembourg/Spain
Posts: 1,645
Default

I can't duplicate that. Can you describe what you do? Maybe it's some specific plugin in the chain, maybe try some chains made from other plugins.
__________________
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040,etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:52 AM   #227
David Else
Human being with feelings
 
David Else's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Near London, UK
Posts: 541
Default

Hi Jack, as you seem to be a mega expert on Wine, could you take a quick look at my possible bug report for a build here? I am the first (and only at this time) 'anonymous' user:

https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/upda...017-ee6a84f29c

I managed to get the maintainer to update to the latest stable Wine 2.03 for use in Centos (was over a year old before), but I don't think he had time to really test the build. Does my report look like there is a problem?

For some reason he will only build a 64bit version, and there seems to be some controversy around it I don't want to get involved in. Not to worry if 64bit VST plugins work

Cheers!
__________________
----------> Fedora Linux Distribution = Computing Joy & Freedom <----------
Learn Digital Audio Home | 'Nebula Explained' Course Out Now! | YouTube Channel | Twitter
David Else is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:26 PM   #228
mainframe
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
I can't duplicate that. Can you describe what you do? Maybe it's some specific plugin in the chain, maybe try some chains made from other plugins.
That's good news. It must be a setup or user error then. I tried a chain with tokyo dawn labs plugins and that failed. Next I tried a full native chain of cockos plugs which worked. Last I tried a Valhalla plate reverb with a reacomp which failed again.
I'll investigate a bit further and will report my findings (if there are some).
mainframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:51 PM   #229
osxmidi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainframe View Post
Just wanted to point out that LinVst crashes when I load an fx chain containing windows vsts in reaper. Native linux vst chains work fine. I tried with multiple vsts and it always crashes.

This is the syslog error I get:
Code:
Dec 23 16:56:12 deathstar kernel: [ 4472.494324] reaper5[5032]: segfault at 968 ip 00007f0bb96a921e sp 00007f0b83ffeed0 error 4 in libX11.so.6.3.0[7f0bb966d000+13a000]
I'm running the latest reaper native version on debian with kxstudio as jack repo. The LinVst version is the embedded one version 1.7.5
Could be lots of things

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...1/+bug/1636564

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=221888

Also LinVst 1.7.6 has some updates.

Last edited by osxmidi; 12-23-2017 at 10:03 PM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 02:51 AM   #230
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings
 
Jack Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Luxembourg/Spain
Posts: 1,645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Else View Post
Hi Jack, as you seem to be a mega expert on Wine, could you take a quick look at my possible bug report for a build here? I am the first (and only at this time) 'anonymous' user:

https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/upda...017-ee6a84f29c

I managed to get the maintainer to update to the latest stable Wine 2.03 for use in Centos (was over a year old before), but I don't think he had time to really test the build. Does my report look like there is a problem?

For some reason he will only build a 64bit version, and there seems to be some controversy around it I don't want to get involved in. Not to worry if 64bit VST plugins work

Cheers!
I'm far from an expert on wine, just a lowly user...

2 thoughts occur to me, for wine to work correctly on 64b, you have to build both 64b and 32b.. I'm not sure, but I think that if you only have the wine64 and no wine command, then it's missing the 32b component.

It's one of the most convoluted build processes I've ever seen. Don't know if this is the case here, but what is interesting is that you could build it yourself (there are instructions on winehq), and even better you can run it out of the build directory without installing it into the file system. So it won't interfere with what your package manager installs!

The other suggestion I got from googling that error message. Try a new prefix, maybe something went wrong with it. A prefix is a location in the file system that contains the registry and installed programs. The default is ~/.wine, but you can use any location by using an environment variable. Like this "WINEPREFIX=~/.wineprefixes/myapp wine install-myapp.exe". I've created several prefixes for my plugins, the advantage is that they are separate and can have different dll overrides, be copied, backed up, etc. So I have a prefix for IK, another for NI, yet another for mixed plugins, etc.
__________________
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040,etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 03:27 AM   #231
David Else
Human being with feelings
 
David Else's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Near London, UK
Posts: 541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
I'm far from an expert on wine, just a lowly user...

2 thoughts occur to me, for wine to work correctly on 64b, you have to build both 64b and 32b.. I'm not sure, but I think that if you only have the wine64 and no wine command, then it's missing the 32b component.

It's one of the most convoluted build processes I've ever seen. Don't know if this is the case here, but what is interesting is that you could build it yourself (there are instructions on winehq), and even better you can run it out of the build directory without installing it into the file system. So it won't interfere with what your package manager installs!

The other suggestion I got from googling that error message. Try a new prefix, maybe something went wrong with it. A prefix is a location in the file system that contains the registry and installed programs. The default is ~/.wine, but you can use any location by using an environment variable. Like this "WINEPREFIX=~/.wineprefixes/myapp wine install-myapp.exe". I've created several prefixes for my plugins, the advantage is that they are separate and can have different dll overrides, be copied, backed up, etc. So I have a prefix for IK, another for NI, yet another for mixed plugins, etc.
Thanks Jack, happy Christmas!
__________________
----------> Fedora Linux Distribution = Computing Joy & Freedom <----------
Learn Digital Audio Home | 'Nebula Explained' Course Out Now! | YouTube Channel | Twitter
David Else is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:44 PM   #232
mainframe
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
On point as always! I'll have to try out the new version and will look into the links you posted. Thanks again for the software!
On a second note, is there a guide somewhere that explains debugging and sourcing problems with vsts and/or linvst? Which logs would be the most verbose? Most vsts I tried work fine for me but the Tokyo Dawn ones can make reaper crash at random moments. (ValhallaDSP works perfect, Voxengo too, dpmeter as well)
mainframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:17 PM   #233
osxmidi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainframe View Post
On point as always! I'll have to try out the new version and will look into the links you posted. Thanks again for the software!
On a second note, is there a guide somewhere that explains debugging and sourcing problems with vsts and/or linvst? Which logs would be the most verbose? Most vsts I tried work fine for me but the Tokyo Dawn ones can make reaper crash at random moments. (ValhallaDSP works perfect, Voxengo too, dpmeter as well)
I use the Tokyo Dawn plugins for testing because they seem to test wine out a bit with whatever they are using.

Something like a wine unimplemented function error is pretty obvious but there can be other wine errors with hardly any useful error output.

Like, Waves Central just gives up when it's trying to install the actual vst(s) and there are no real useful errors to work from, anyway that waves central error has been reported to wine but not much has been done about it, maybe some dll overrides might help with it but it might not be easy to work out what Waves Central wants and why Wine is not giving Waves Central what it wants.

Also d2d1 doesn't produce much of a error message to work from even though it is causing some plugin crashes on my old system at least.

It can also be hardware/driver/wine dependent and d2d1 might work on some hardware but not on older hardware like my test system.

I also get d3d errors on my old test system which is to be expected as it's a old laptop.

Wine keeps on adding things, so some things might just work sometime down the track.

Errors like your one are probably down the line somewhere between wine and xlib and maybe wine can set off a bug that might be in a particular xlib version or there could be some library incompatibility going on with some distros and their versions.

Maybe making LinVst on the system/distro that is being used might help.

Last edited by osxmidi; 12-24-2017 at 11:35 PM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:43 AM   #234
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings
 
Jack Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Luxembourg/Spain
Posts: 1,645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainframe View Post
On a second note, is there a guide somewhere that explains debugging and sourcing problems with vsts and/or linvst? Which logs would be the most verbose? Most vsts I tried work fine for me but the Tokyo Dawn ones can make reaper crash at random moments. (ValhallaDSP works perfect, Voxengo too, dpmeter as well)
Wine have what they call debug channels which can be used to troubleshoot various parts of it's subsystems. By default some of them are enabled, and the output can be seen if you start reaper from a terminal window. The way to control them are through environment variables. For instance to see what dlls get loaded you can do the following: "WINEDEBUG=+loaddll reaper".

To see what dlls are loaded and what happens with d2d in greated detail use +loaddll,+d2d. Here is a link explaining in greater detail: https://wiki.winehq.org/Debug_Channe...Debug_Channels

d2d uses opengl and wine can have some troubles with the opengl implementation on certain cards, notably some (all?) onboard intel GPUs. It can help to add the MaxVersionGL registry entry to restrict the maximum version used, see this link:
https://wiki.winehq.org/Useful_Registry_Keys
__________________
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040,etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:15 AM   #235
osxmidi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 467
Default

I'm testing out some things on an i7 system.

The Radeon HD 6670/7670 has the same d2d problems as my old laptop that has a Intel display (I think GMA 4000 or whatever it is) with vst's that use d2d1 like OPXPROII etc.

Very different OpenGL capabilities with the Radeon HD 6670/7670 and the Intel GMA 4000 but d2d1 crashes with both.

I think d2d1 gets as far as loading the OpenGL stuff and then crashes.

The Realtek ALC887-VD that is the i7's system built in sound hardware isn't that great for latency either.

I'm actually getting better latency with my old dual cores laptop builtin sound then with the i7's builtin sound, but of course a sound card is going to be better and my M-Audio stuff performs very well at a very low latency.

The i7 is very fast and the Mercuriall Spark amp sim cpu use went down from 17% on my old dual core laptop to 2% on the i7.

When Wines d2d1 gets more complete then those vst's (seems to be quite a few) will be ok but until then disabling d2d1 can allow some of the vst's that depend on d2d1 to run but sometimes with some weird gui behaviour.

D3D errors/warnings that I get on my dual core laptops GMA 4000 don't happen with the Radeon HD 6670/7670 when loading things like the OB-XD windows vst (which I use for testing some things), so hardware can make a difference.

Last edited by osxmidi; 12-25-2017 at 05:40 AM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:58 AM   #236
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings
 
Jack Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Luxembourg/Spain
Posts: 1,645
Default

Have you tried setting MaxVersionGL to 0x30002 ?
__________________
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040,etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:58 AM   #237
osxmidi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Have you tried setting MaxVersionGL to 0x30002 ?
No, I'll try it later and see what happens.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:19 AM   #238
osxmidi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 467
Default

Setting MaxVersionGL to 0x30002 didn't work for my card.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:35 AM   #239
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings
 
Jack Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Luxembourg/Spain
Posts: 1,645
Default

Too bad, the rational behind it is that wine requires certain opengl features by default. Limiting the version used like this, can help (most notably on Intel GPUs).
__________________
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040,etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:38 AM   #240
osxmidi
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 467
Default

It didn't work for the Intel HD 4600 graphics either.

The main things that would be nice to get working are d2d1, waves central and native access.

native access used an unimplemented wine function that should be fixed in upcoming versions of wine-staging but whether there are other errors after that I don't know until a new wine-staging comes out.

Also just as a general thing, there seems to be large differences between some inbuilt sound devices and latency.

Some are producing pretty bad latency like the Realtek one in my i7 system and then some others like an inbuilt Via sound device on one of my quad cores get great latency and not bad sound from the Via either and then whatever is in my old Dell dual core laptop is ok for latency as well.

Whether it's the hardware or drivers or a combo of both who knows, but if anyone wants to get low latency from an inbuilt sound device then it might be hit or miss as far as I can tell.

Last edited by osxmidi; 12-27-2017 at 12:37 AM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.