Old 08-17-2017, 05:39 AM   #121
Time Waster
Human being with feelings

Default Just thinking out loud:

One of the issues with doing a patch bay in JSFX is that for the patch bay to work, each instance of any module will need a unique identifier. This would probably need to be set manually. I don't know of any way doing that automatically.

All of the modules would need to share a common named space of global memory (currently each module type shares a unique named space, which is used for the master/slave function). The unique identifier would then be used to specify the area of global memory to be used by each module instance. The type of data stored in global memory would be: a unique name for the module (could be the type of module + a number, e.g "LFO 4"); an identifier for each CC input or output; the CC number assigned to each input or output.

The Matrix module would then read form global memory and use the data to populate the matrix. I'm guessing that those who want a matrix would like to assign the patching from the matrix? I think it might be difficult to be able to choose either/or. That might require a master/slave function for the matrix. If the matrix was the slave, it would just be used to display the patching.

I haven't done any scripting in Lua, so I have no idea, but I'm wondering if that might be better than JSFX for making a matrix or patch bay?

Personally, I think a matrix paradigm is a complication that will limit the flexibility of the system and increase the CPU overheads, for little real benefit, but always happy to be convinced otherwise.

Hint: If you need help keeping track of which module controls what, edit the name of the FX instance and include the relevant input/output CC numbers that you have assigned. That will save you a few mouse clicks checking back and forth to see which CCs you have used. It's probably most useful to label the control module output CCs (generally there is only one output). It is usually the control outputs that you need to refer back to.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:46 AM   #122
Time Waster

Default Bug Fix

I found a bug in the Additive Oscillator module which prevented the master/slave function from working, which has now been fixed. The stash repository has been updated and the bug fix has been submitted to the ReaPack team for inclusion in ReaPack. The bug would not affect anything if you are not using the master/slave function for this module, so not critical.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:07 AM   #123
Time Waster

Default Additive Oscillator - Special Addition

I've made a new version of the Additive Oscillator which is currently only available in the stash here: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/31470/Time...ditive-SE.jsfx

This version is the result of experimenting with the lowpass filter effect of this oscillator. The original version of this module allows the addition of whole harmonics only (step mode). The 'Special Edition' (SE) version allows continuous addition or removal of harmonics. This is done by fading in or out the highest harmonic. You can choose either step or continuous mode. Effectively, continuous mode allows you to do smooth(ish) filter sweeps (with modulation). Currently there is no modulation smoothing, so it can still be a little steppy, depending on the degree of modulation.

I have also added a simulated resonance effect. This is done by boosting the highest harmonic, in step mode, or proportionally boosting the highest two harmonics in continuous mode.

The third addition is a distortion effect. I have added an overdrive option. When raised above a level of one, the signal is soft clipped up to a hard limit of 1.25. You can attenuate the clipped signal using the output level control.

Fun and educational!
Old 08-22-2017, 07:11 AM   #124
Ivannn Bennnettt

Didn't catch your hint about name but I've tried to do action to add your lfo in one click. And it's almost turned out except position and cc auto-select )

Could you add to lfo adjust curve for saw-triangle and offset amplitude and range?

Thanks for your time!
Ivannn Bennnettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #125
Time Waster

If you want to adjust the amplitude and range of a CC message stream, use one or more instances of the CC Mixer module.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:53 PM   #126
Ivannn Bennnettt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
If you want to adjust the amplitude and range of a CC message stream, use one or more instances of the CC Mixer module.
Thanks, but there isn't offset one and it's extra plugin.

And I've thought it over a curve is needed for all waves if you're gonna do it at all)

Would be not bad to have got PWM for all waves as well.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by Ivannn Bennnettt; 08-22-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:22 PM   #127
Time Waster

There is a phase offset adjustment on the LFO.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'adjust curve'? could you explain in more detail what you want?

I can add modulation for the 'shape' function easily enough.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:26 PM   #128
Ivannn Bennnettt

About "offset" I mean amplitude.

For instance curves:
And it would be great to adjust start and end separately.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:22 PM   #129
Time Waster

Regarding amplitude scaling, the CC Mixer module can do this. From the manual, section 5.6 CC Mixer:

The effect of the ‘Limit’ sliders on a multiply operation is to limit the minimum value of the input CC. Input values are scaled to fit between the lower limit, as set by the slider and the maximum value of 1 (CC value 127). Setting the limit to 0 will always return a value of 1 (CC value 127) regardless of the input CC value. This can be useful if you only want to scale a single CC signal.

and...

The effect of the ‘Limit’ sliders on an Add operation is to limit the peak value of the input CCs. Values are scaled to fit between 0 and the limit level. You can use the Add operation to scale a single input, without regard to the limit setting of the other input.

Regarding curved LFO line segments, the Envelope Generator module allows you have curved segments, so it would be possible to trigger an envelope generator using an LFO to get the desired result. A further advantage of this is that if you use Envelope Generator Max, you can modulate the envelope segment lengths. The module setup for curved line segments and a scaled output limiting both the minimum and maximum values would be:

LFO > Trigger > Envelope Generator > CC Mixer > CC Mixer

ReaRack is intentionally a modular system. It's probably not well suited for quick workflow (the trade-off being that it is very flexible). However, once you have set up a system that works, you can easily save it as an FX chain for future use.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:48 PM   #130
Ivannn Bennnettt

It's not really handy way but if Reaper has had a kinda sub chain container and node viewer though

Anyway thank you.

Last edited by Ivannn Bennnettt; 08-23-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:55 AM   #131
Time Waster

Some bug fixes have been added to the LFO 2 module. The newly added frequency modulation function wasn't working properly, now fixed (in the stash and soon in ReaPack).

If no more bugs are found, this should be the last update for this version of ReaRack, as I am now working on ReaRack 2, which will have high resolution (16384 step/14 bit) MIDI for control signals. The compromise is higher CPU use and fewer (64, down from 128) possible patch numbers per MIDI bus.

@Ivannn Bennnettt, I am thinking about incorporating your requested features into the hi-res LFO. It makes more sense having scaleable output with the higher resolution.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:25 AM   #132
Ivannn Bennnettt

sounds promising)
Old 08-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #133
cyrilfb

Default Thanks for this great tool

Quote:
Some bug fixes have been added to the LFO 2 module. The newly added frequency modulation function wasn't working properly, now fixed (in the stash and soon in ReaPack).

If no more bugs are found, this should be the last update for this version of ReaRack, as I am now working on ReaRack 2, which will have high resolution (16384 step/14 bit) MIDI for control signals. The compromise is higher CPU use and fewer (64, down from 128) possible patch numbers per MIDI bus.
Time Waster, Thanks so much for this great tool.
ReaRack has become my favorite tool for sound design. I look forward to the new version and features.
cyrilfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:46 PM   #134
mschnell

It's going to leave Reaktor in the dust, as with ReaRack you can script your own additional modules when you feel like.

Waiting on this done with ReaRack -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2CMq-zIua4

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 08-29-2017 at 01:52 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:55 AM   #135
Time Waster

cyrilfb and mschnell, thanks for the kind words!

While hacking away at the code I found a few more bugs, so there is another update in the stash and the ReaPack update is on the way:

LFO2 - fixed a minor issue with the frequency modulation, now set to "Off" instead of CC 19 ??

Additive and Trapezoidal oscillators had various issues with the pitch modulation function, now fixed. Also fixed the load frequency of the Trapezoidal oscillator.

The SE version of the Additive oscillator has also been fixed.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:38 PM   #136
Flaneurette

Good. I keep returning to it, it's really good. Currently creating more presets for it.
Flaneurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #137
Flaneurette

Made a new preset called Access Virus TI, which emulates the said Synth.

https://stash.reaper.fm/31627/ReaRac...odWhl.RfxChain

Requires: ReaRack, ReaPack.
Uses: JS MIDI Arpeggiator, JS 3-Band EQ, ReaComp, ReaVerbate (mainly because they're stock plugins.)

Modwheel controls the cutoff.

It makes use of the new twin Saw module and then sends a Pulse through it, with the additive oscillator module to "infect" the signal, giving this typical Viral sound:

It modulates the frequencies of 7 stacked saws giving this massive analogue sound:

Since were generating sounds, beware of your speakers as it can get quit loud.

Audio demo: https://stash.reaper.fm/31629/Virus.mp3 (uses the TAL Reverb 4.)

Typical Virus sound in my opinion. Sounds more analogue and infected than the digital Virus TI Desktop.

Btw, the clicking is due to the envelope. When using the Arp, it's best to turn off the envelop in the chain or adjust the HOLD time in the envelope.

--

Last edited by Flaneurette; 09-19-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:07 PM   #138
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneurette View Post
Typical Virus sound in my opinion. Sounds more analogue and infected than the digital Virus TI Desktop.
Great in fact !
-MIchael
Old 10-11-2017, 06:33 AM   #139
Flaneurette

Been cleaning up my files and projects, and I have created a new zip, with all my ReaRack presets as FX chains. It also has some unreleased presets.

Can be downloaded here as a zip:
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/31856/All-...laneurette.zip

It contains these 24 presets:
Code:
23-01-2017  19:07             3.543 ReaRack - 3 Sea Saws+LFO.RfxChain
23-01-2017  19:18             3.302 ReaRack - 7th Saw Stack.RfxChain
23-01-2017  19:27             3.618 ReaRack - 7th Sine Stack.RfxChain
11-10-2017  15:15             5.617 ReaRack - Access Virus with Arp ModWhl.RfxChain
26-01-2017  21:55             1.966 ReaRack - Basic Saw.RfxChain
23-01-2017  19:39             2.645 ReaRack - DaftPunkish.RfxChain
23-01-2017  19:54             3.612 ReaRack - Dutch Mega Saw+LFO.RfxChain
23-01-2017  19:46             3.303 ReaRack - Dutch Mega Saw.RfxChain
31-01-2017  02:48             2.868 ReaRack - FM Call The Cops.RfxChain
31-01-2017  02:44             2.867 ReaRack - FM Loud Sprinkles.RfxChain
14-02-2017  22:13             2.511 ReaRack - FM Screech.RfxChain
31-01-2017  02:19             2.177 ReaRack - Future House FM Chicago Wash.RfxChain
31-01-2017  02:17             2.178 ReaRack - Future House FM Growl.RfxChain
31-01-2017  02:42             2.867 ReaRack - Future House FM WowPump+LFO.RfxChain
11-10-2017  15:18             2.101 ReaRack - HugeKick.RfxChain
23-01-2017  20:01             2.254 ReaRack - Kick.RfxChain
23-01-2017  20:14             3.543 ReaRack - Pluck+LFO.RfxChain
23-01-2017  20:07             3.234 ReaRack - Pluck.RfxChain
11-10-2017  15:17             2.312 ReaRack - Sample & Hold Example.RfxChain
31-01-2017  02:31             5.459 ReaRack - Smooth Saw+LFO+Arp.RfxChain
31-01-2017  02:32             5.225 ReaRack - Smooth Saw+LFO.RfxChain
01-02-2017  00:07             2.395 ReaRack - SubBass Saw.RfxChain
23-01-2017  20:25             3.102 ReaRack - Tiesto.RfxChain
23-01-2017  20:30             4.442 ReaRack - Ultra Saw.RfxChain
To avoid confusion: it requires ReaPack (https://reapack.com/) to use these presets in combination with ReaRack.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:00 AM   #140
Time Waster

Default ReaRack 2

ReaRack version 2 is now available, in the stash and in ReaPack.

This version is a major update of the original code, for all modules. The main change is that ReaRack now uses per sample, high resolution MIDI control change messaging for the control signals.

Other changes include:

a) Two modules have been dropped from the range of previous version, namely the Naive Oscillator and Envelope Generator Max. Two modules have been added, an Audio to MIDI converter and a 'Note Scope'.

b) There is a change to the way that CCs are selected for control signals. The aim is to reduce the number of sliders used in the UI. For modulation, there is now a maximum of three sliders (Modulation Target, Input CC and Modulation Range) regardless of the number of parameters that can be modulated.

c) The LFO now has the option of curved waveforms - the edges of the triangular waveform can be morphed into circular arcs and the square/pulse can be morphed into a sine wave. The range of the CC signal can now be adjusted and the waveform can also be inverted.

d) The Amplifier now has an improved click reduction method, which uses an averaging filter. The window size for the averaging sample length is adjustable. There is an option for manual control input so that the amplifier can be used as a volume control. Also included in the amplifier module is a simple distortion algorithm and an overdrive control. In conjunction with the manual volume control, the amplifier can be used as a basic distortion effect.

e) The Envelope Generator has modulation of envelope stages added back in (hence EG Max has been dropped from the range of modules). There is a new envelope stage added, which I have called the Plateau. It provides a short hold at the peak of the envelope. This was added to compensate for the Amplifier's click filter. It allows the amplifier to reach full volume before starting the decay. Normally you can leave this at the default setting, but the option is there to adjust the length of the hold, which if increased can provide a more 'compressed' sound (flattened peaks).

f) The poly splitter module has been improved. It now includes a 'release delay' setting to allow a note to play out after it is released (beyond the 'note off'), before freeing up the channel for a new note. The release delay can be linked to an envelope generator so that adjusting the release time on the envelope generator adjusts the release delay in the poly splitter.

g) The CC Mixer is now (hopefully) more intuitive. The available operations are now multiply, maximum and minimum. The ranges of both the inputs and the output can be independently scaled and inverted.

h) ReaRack now uses a single global memory space for all modules, so that information can be shared across module types as well as across instances of the same module.

The manual has been updated and now includes bookmarks and hyperlinks to improve navigation.

The example projects (available with the stash copy of ReaRack) have also been updated for ReaRack2.

Last edited by Time Waster; 12-17-2017 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Added a note about the poly splitter module.
Time Waster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:15 AM   #141
mschnell

Quote:
ReaRack now uses per sample, high resolution MIDI control
Fantastic news !

I'll be checking this out, soon.

BTW, for a friend I recently checked a MiniMoog emulation. (In fact I have no plan of such stuff, I just searched a free one, downloaded, installed and tested some presets.)

I found that with my setup (LiveConfig always disarming most of the tracks) this plugin would not cope. It issues an error window that needs to be clicked.

Will ReaRack be able to construct a decent MiniMoog Emulation ? (AFAIK, what is needed on top of the high resolution timing-correct control signals, is a "Moog Ladder Filter" emulation and a very fast envelop generator.)

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-12-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #142
Time Waster

The standard ReaRack filter is fairly basic, however, supplied with the standard REAPER installation there is the Liton Moog24db JSFX, so you could use that instead. You would just have to use REAPER's PM if you you want to modulate it. I have considered adapting Liton's filter to ReaRack, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. It's only a matter of adding in my modulation code, but I would like to fully understand the filter code first

The digital envelope generator supplied with ReaRack can go from zero to maximum in one sample, so you can't get much faster than that. I assume that that is much faster than any hardware envelope generator. In fact it is too fast, hence the need for a click filter in the amplifier module. The click filter response in the version 2 amp is adjustable, so you can reduce the response time depending on how much additional noise you can stand. The default response time is 0.25 milliseconds.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #143
Time Waster

The filenames for ReaRack 2 modules have all been changed. They won't overwrite the old modules if installed from the stash, so old projects will not be affected. However, I'm not sure that ReaPack won't delete your old modules when updating to the new ones, so I would suggest backing up your old modules if installing using ReaPack.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:40 PM   #144
mschnell

Quote:
there is the Liton Moog24db JSFX,
As you say, it does not decently features samle-correct CC timing and high res CCs.

Looking forward to you stealing the code and fully integrate it in ReaRack !

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-12-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:43 PM   #145
mschnell

Quote:
I would suggest backing up your old modules if installing using ReaPack.
AFAIK, ReaPack provides all versions of the content selectable.

-Michael
Old 12-13-2017, 02:51 AM   #146
Bri1
Banned

+1 Godzillian.
Playtime..
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:55 AM   #147
Ivannn Bennnettt

Thank you very much!
Old 12-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #148
Time Waster

Just a reminder,

ReaRack 2 is here: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/28403/ReaR...dularSynth.zip. Also available in ReaPack.

The old ReaRack 1 is here: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/31415/ReaR...ed_Modules.zip, just in case you have old projects and have deleted the old modules.

The updated manual is located here: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/28621/ReaRack_Manual.pdf, in case you want to download it separately.

ReaRack 2 requires significantly higher CPU performance than ReaRack 1. If you find that your system is bogging down with ReaRack 2, then it might be worth using ReaRack 1 instead. I would be interested in getting feedback on this issue.

While updating the code for version 2, I found quite a lot of minor bugs in version 1, which I didn't fix. I don't plan to fix them, but if anyone using ReaRack 1 has a specific issue which needs fixing, let me know.

Last edited by Time Waster; 12-13-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #149
mschnell

Just for fun and as a disproof of my concept that the result would be nasty, I just did a jsfx that performs phase modulation via delay line scanning (see the tips and tricks forum).

As it works nicely I just added a wet and a dry slider and will upload it to ReaPack ASAP.

right now it uses audio signals as well as carrier as as modulator.

To make it compatible to ReaRack, I could add the possibility to use high resolution time correct CCs as modulator.

What do you think ?
-Michael
Old 12-16-2017, 04:43 PM   #150
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Just for fun and as a disproof of my concept that the result would be nasty, I just did a jsfx that performs phase modulation via delay line scanning (see the tips and tricks forum).

As it works nicely I just added a wet and a dry slider and will upload it to ReaPack ASAP.

right now it uses audio signals as well as carrier as as modulator.

To make it compatible to ReaRack, I could add the possibility to use high resolution time correct CCs as modulator.

What do you think ?
-Michael
I think that could be interesting. If you want to make it a ReaRack module, please follow the guidelines in the latest manual. In any case, feel free to copy the relevant ReaRack code if it helps.

Last edited by Time Waster; 12-17-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:08 AM   #151
mschnell

I uploaded it to ReaRack and supposedly will officially appear soon.

You might want to check it out.

-Michael
Old 12-20-2017, 10:52 PM   #152
mschnell

I uploaded a new version of the Delay Modulator to ReaPack.

To start to be more compatible with ReaRack it now features a funny graphic.

-Michael
Old 12-28-2017, 08:22 AM   #153
Time Waster

I finally got around to looking at the delay modulator. I got some interesting sounds by setting up an oscillator on one track to use as the modulator, an oscillator on another track as the carrier which fed into the delay modulator and an LFO to modulate the pitch of modulator.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:15 PM   #154
Ivannn Bennnettt

Quote:
I finally got around to looking at the delay modulator. I got some interesting sounds by setting up an oscillator on one track to use as the modulator, an oscillator on another track as the carrier which fed into the delay modulator and an LFO to modulate the pitch of modulator.
I'd check it out)
Old 01-09-2018, 10:17 PM   #155
Time Waster

Default Moog Filter

A ReaRack Moog style filter has been added to the stash here: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/32671/Time...rMoog24db.jsfx

This is a mod of Liteon's Moog filter JSFX. I've added modulation inputs and some graphics. The filter code is all as per the original, except that I removed the smoothing for the cutoff slider adjustment in order to implement the modulation code. This shouldn't matter (and I can't hear the difference) as the idea is to use the high res modulation for any dynamic adjustment. I haven't had much of a chance to test this, so feedback would be appreciated.

I'll get around to adding it to the main ReaRack stash package and to ReaPack in due course, along with the updated manual.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:24 AM   #156
Ivannn Bennnettt

Thank you as always!

And going abit forward what about Polyvoks filter?)

Keep it up!
Old 01-10-2018, 05:25 AM   #157
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivannn Bennnettt View Post

And going abit forward what about Polyvoks filter?)
If you can get the code for it! I know very little about filter design, I just copy existing code. I have an old Korg MS20, which unfortunately is starting to show its age. The Ployvoks filter is apparently similar, so it could be a good thing to have a software emulation.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:09 AM   #158
mschnell

Quote:
A ReaRack Moog style filter has been added to the stash here:
GREAT !
Waiting for it to appear in ReaPack.

Maybe you can provide a MiniMoog built in ReaRack as an example .

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 01-10-2018 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:22 AM   #159
Nixon

This is a really great project Has anyone experience with sharing fxchains via ReaPack? (is it actually possible?) Maybe i can update Flaneurette's fxchains to rearack2 in some spare time. Thinking about a scriptable container for fxs all the time. Would make things super sweet.
Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:17 PM   #160
Time Waster

I've just fixed a bug in the Moog filter. It wouldn't affect you unless you were trying to use the master/slave function.