Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 12-15-2017, 02:22 AM   #281
biopsin
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainframe View Post
Just want to point out that reapack did not want to run on my debian stretch install. Had a look at my syslog and it could not find libcurl.so. Did an apt-get install libcurl3 and relaunched reaper. I now have a full functional reapack in native linux!

TL;DR reapack needs libcurl3
In my case I had to ln -s /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4 /usr/lib/libcurl-gnutls.so.4
on non debian distr. to make it run.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #282
cfillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by biopsin View Post
In my case I had to ln -s /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4 /usr/lib/libcurl-gnutls.so.4
on non debian distr. to make it run.
Was that with reddiesel41264's build? The official one does use libcurl.so.4.

Code:
$ wget 'https://github.com/cfillion/reapack/releases/download/v1.2.1/reaper_reapack64.so'
$ objdump -p reaper_reapack64.so | grep NEEDED
  NEEDED               libstdc++.so.6
  NEEDED               libpthread.so.0
  NEEDED               libdl.so.2
  NEEDED               libcurl.so.4
  NEEDED               libsqlite3.so.0
  NEEDED               libgcc_s.so.1
  NEEDED               libc.so.6

Last edited by cfillion; 12-15-2017 at 10:15 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:13 PM   #283
X2theL

Default 'popen' not supported

I just updated to 5.70. Unfortunately, popen is still not supported in Reascript Lua. Since it's working on MacOS I guess it shouldn't be too hard to get it to work in Linux as well(?).
X2theL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:05 AM   #284
biopsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
Was that with reddiesel41264's build? The official one does use libcurl.so.4.
it's offical
Old 12-18-2017, 03:24 AM   #285
David Else

Brand new u-he beta version for people to test, a lot has changed with the way it is coded!

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...953&start=1095
Old 12-23-2017, 02:29 AM   #286
jaborandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Yeah, REAPER needs a window manager to be usable... try running xfce4 or similar...
btw, if it's not too much of a trouble, could you give some hint(s) regarding what is it that Reaper is missing when w/o windows manager or with minimalistic WMs like ratpoison?

I normally use either no wm at all, or a super-minimalistic self-made one, but my programming experience on Linux is limited so if you gave a hint to what I could try to provide reaper with, it would help! thanks
jaborandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:25 AM   #287
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaborandi View Post
btw, if it's not too much of a trouble, could you give some hint(s) regarding what is it that Reaper is missing when w/o windows manager or with minimalistic WMs like ratpoison?

I normally use either no wm at all, or a super-minimalistic self-made one, but my programming experience on Linux is limited so if you gave a hint to what I could try to provide reaper with, it would help! thanks
I have started trying to refactor Swell to use xlib instead of gtk+, so it will use cairo/xlib and make requests to any existing WM instead. Hopefully this will improve the situation and allow better window management than presently.

It's early days and slow work though (due to many reasons), but hopefully I'll get there someday

I'll post code when I have it limping along.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:38 AM   #288
tufb

Just a quick heads up. Specifically for the linux versions, I wrote a lua script, bfut_Copy items to project markers, remove overlaps (see sig for github repo), which does just what it says in the description. Paired with certain SWS and REAPER default actions, you'll easily convert MIDI sheets to media items. Thus, REAPER's pianoroll becomes a powerful sequencer/sampler, almost straight out of the box. No protracted setting up external devices and/or plugins, when all you want is to 'drop that bass.'

screencapture: https://streamable.com/3crl4 (400 kb)
tufb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:11 AM   #289
jaborandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
I have started trying to refactor Swell to use xlib instead of gtk+, so it will use cairo/xlib and make requests to any existing WM instead. Hopefully this will improve the situation and allow better window management than presently.
Thanks a lot for the reply. Do I get it right that SWELL originally was a way to run reaper's WDL on OS X? Are you a developer behind porting SWELL to Linux? Is there a repo on github or something?

I may not be of any help, sorry, but I'd like to look at the code if that's okay - might help me to figure out what's going on. It can be that swell just uses some functionality that is not in X, but is standard in all popular modern WMs.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:14 AM   #290
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaborandi View Post
Thanks a lot for the reply. Do I get it right that SWELL originally was a way to run reaper's WDL on OS X? Are you a developer behind porting SWELL to Linux? Is there a repo on github or something?

I may not be of any help, sorry, but I'd like to look at the code if that's okay - might help me to figure out what's going on. It can be that swell just uses some functionality that is not in X, but is standard in all popular modern WMs.
I'm not entirely sure about the history of it, but one way to make the acronym work, is Simple Emulation Layer for Linux. But yes it is used to emulate a subset of the windows API on OS/X.

You can find it at: https://github.com/justinfrankel/WDL.git, also see: https://landoleet.org/dev/libSwell-roll-your-own.txt

I'm not really a developer, but have some programming behind me a long time ago. I have taken an active role in helping/harassing Justin in the development of it on Linux B)

You're issues are most likely due to the WM of which there is a large variety working in slightly different ways. It's likely that you can improve how it works by adding/changing code in SWELL, and it's really quite easy to build on Linux.

The hope is that by porting it to xlib, compatibility issues with plugins that also use gtk+ can be avoided and that some of it's quirkyness with WMs can be avoided. Though even if still uses gtk+ you can send requests to the WM
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 12-25-2017, 05:32 AM   #291
jaborandi

Quote:
thanks a lot, this rocks
Old 12-26-2017, 03:07 PM   #292
babag

i have a new ssd on order to use for testing reaper with linux. i've been reading up on the process of setting things up and was looking at the avlinux manual and came upon this:
Quote:
**PLEASE NOTE** To use Dual-head for certain nVidia and AMD Video cards it may be necessary to
have Proprietary Video Drivers installed which is not possible with the AV Linux RT Kernel.
is this true? my window/osx setup uses (i think) a gtx760 nvidia card that i'm running four monitors off of. am i screwed, as far as maintaining the same system configuration (my four monitors)?

thanks,
BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:33 PM   #293
Jack Winter

No it's not a show stopper, at least on the systems that I have a nvidia in.

Most distros don't have a rt kernel, but this is the skinny on it. The rt kernel needs an extra patch to fix an error in what nvidia does. It used to work, but they fixed something in the rt patch which broke nvidia, and nvidia hasn't fixed that bug for many years. So the rt kernel needs that patch to make nvidia work again.

The other issue is that recently nvidia disabled the building of kernel modules when it detects the rt kernel, I suppose due to the above issue.. But there is a parameter that can be passed to the make command building the nvidia kernel modules which makes the build complete.

To sum that up, the kernel needs a patch, and the make command to build nvidia modules needs an argument. For me and others that makes it work. Now most distros don't implement this, but since I'm an archlinux user, I made sure it works on archlinux. Other distros I'm not sure, but I've heard that there is a rt kernel for debian, don't know about nvidia there.

Also there are some minor issues with nvidia, in that changing virtual terminals, starting an opengl program or video playback causes a spike in the kernel scheduling delays, but that might not be a problem especially if you just mix and run at 512/1024 samples buffer size.

Of course YMMV as always, but I think you'll be ok if you can get the 2 issues above seen to. Of course if you just track and mix on high latency, then any distro with a lowlatency kernel ought to be ok for you! It's just if you need really low latency and absolutely can't afford a hickup in the sound that it becomes necessary to go through the above hoops...

Edit: You might also try the opensource nouveau driver, don't know what monitor support it has and how well it works with nvidia. Personally I actually use the onboard intel, and have a nvidia that I use with bumblebee to play games on.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #294
babag

yikes. i guess i'll look into it further when i get the drive. maybe a couple of days.

thanks,
BabaG
Old 12-26-2017, 07:17 PM   #295
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
yikes. i guess i'll look into it further when i get the drive. maybe a couple of days.

thanks,
BabaG
Yeah it's a bit of a mess... Linux is mostly trouble free, but also has it's weak moments... Do you need really low latency?
Old 12-27-2017, 12:16 AM   #296
babag

i just assume so for the responsiveness of the system.

i'll probably try a generic setup just to see how things go and gauge from there. i do use linux some but not for media. now, with resolve for video and reaper for audio, that seems like it could change. it's something i look into periodically.

funnily enough, was the display setup that shot it down something over a decade ago when i tried with a new mac pro. on a self-built hackintosh/w10-64 now.

the new drive will be bigger and should allow me to clone current system and leave enough room after for a linux install if it works ok. figured i'd try a straight linux installation by itself on the new drive just to see how it goes. if it seems ok i'll wipe the new drive, clone the existing system to it, then add the linux install to it. frankly, though, it sounds like, even a decade down the road, it may still be more trouble than it's worth.

thanks,
BabaG
Old 12-27-2017, 02:14 AM   #297
Jack Winter

Quote:
i just assume so for the responsiveness of the system.

frankly, though, it sounds like, even a decade down the road, it may still be more trouble than it's worth.
I think with the most used kernel the so called low latency, you are pretty safe at 256 samples buffer, for 128 and 64 a realtime kernel is probably needed. Normally most people (even on win/osx) use 512/1024 samples buffers while tracking/mixing to either avoid underruns while tracking or to minimize CPU use in order to be able to run more fx. This is no issue in such situations, the only time it's really needed to run at 64 samples is when you want to track through fx in you daw, as otherwise the delay might be too high. That said I often track bass at up to 256..

I'm talking to the dev of avlinux, he says that this release has realtime but that he's considering the pro and cons of making the default kernel lowlatency instead, but if so it will most certainly have a realtime kernel to install additionally. This discussion came about on https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17923 as he asked what kernel to make default, as nvidia users have issues. So I don't exactly know what the state is at the moment with nvidia, but I've passed along the information about what needs to be done, so I'm confident that AVLInux 2018 will be alright.

There is a bewildering amount of distros out there, some of them do better than others. It's unavoidable I suppose that with such a variety of software put together to have occasional issues. This realtime kernel vs nvidia is really unfortunate though, but only affects a few, namely those that want to run the lowest audio latency and happen to use nvidia... I'd put the blame squarely on nvidia shoulders for ignoring this issue the last 5 years or possibly longer (I forget), as I've reported the issue to them. IMO the rt devs are a little inflexible, but I can understand their POV, that "no we are not going to introduce a bug, just so that the closed source nvidia driver works"... The blame also lies with the distribution packagers for not patching the software to make sure that it works...

I'll update this thread when I know the state of things with avlinux as they stand right now.

Last edited by Jack Winter; 12-27-2017 at 02:21 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:49 AM   #298
babag

thanks, jack. i think my ssd will arrive today. i may not get the chance to start to try any of this for at least a couple of days, though.

thanks again,
BabaG
Old 12-28-2017, 07:09 AM   #299
Jack Winter

I think I've understood the situation with AVL2017.

It does come with a realtime kernel as default. At the moment it doesn't work with the closed source nvidia, but does with the nouveau driver. If you want to install nvidia, then you have to install a lowlatency kernel to go with it.

What the future holds I could only speculate on, so I won't

Looking at this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau#Dual_head it appears that nouveau supports multiple monitors, but ymmv as always.

My suggestion would be to start with the default and see how it goes, and also what AVL2018 will bring. For more questions I'd suggest posting on https://linuxmusicians.com, as that is a place that the AVL dev is answering questions.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #300
Matt Mayfield

Is anyone sufficiently familiar with the WDL/Swell codebase and either Qt4, Qt5, or GTK3 to say how practical it might be to implement "real" menus on Linux? i.e. ones that could be exported via DBus to a global menu panel applet or "HUD" menu search utility in Ubuntu Unity, MATE, XFCE, KDE, etc.?

Edit: Oh yes, and also using a standard Qt or GTK file picker dialog.

Last edited by Matt Mayfield; 12-29-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Matt Mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:08 PM   #301
babag

got my ssd and tried a few things. also been investigating and found some interesting things.

tried installing avlinux from a dvd iso. stalled during installation.
tried installing kxstudio from dvd iso. stalled during installation.
tried installing ubuntu studio from dvd iso. installation sailed through without a hitch. even used all four of my displays without incident. i then started making adjustments to see how things work. moved the displays to proper positioning so the mouse would match the physical positioning of the monitors (one above, three side-by-side below). in doing this and things like moving the, i'll call it, taskbar to the monitor i want it on both the taskbar and all desktop icons disappeared. searching produced a solution but not an ideal one. it required a reset of the desktop environment that meant all of the tweaking i'd done went out the window and had to be re-implemented. ok if things hold but could become a deal breaker if you have to do this all the time. maybe system updates will fix it. will get into things like my firewire audio box soon.

also looked into davinci resolve for linux and, while still in the preliminary stages of looking into this, did turn up some interesting info. resolve, it seems, requires the nvidia driver. down the road we'll see if that messes up the setup that's working, though shakily (with the disappearing and resets).

resolve also is only officially supported on rhel and centos currently. they do seem happy to hear about user experience on other distros, though. users also seem to be enthusiastically trying to get things working on other distros. the install scripts seem to be set up specifically for the two supported distros and need tweaking. not sure how far that's gotten since the posts i've read so far.

all in all, it looks like there will probably be quite a few hurdles to getting both reaper and resolve set up on the same system. on the other hand, though, both users and developers seem supportive, if mainly in spirit, of getting the kinks ironed out.

thanks,
BabaG
Old 12-31-2017, 10:09 PM   #302
4duhwinnn

By the number of explosions outside, it must be warmup time
for the big midnight shuhbang in this hemisphere.
Happy 2018 to those sharing their code, knowledge, experience,
advice, and general goodwill! May you all be healthy, wealthy,
and wise, in the order of your choosing, as inseperable
as they often are.

2017's audio advances would not have been easy to predict.
I'll put the Reaper linux port, the advances in wrapping
plugins, and the usability of wine-staging, as serious points
of liberation from the corporate operating systems,
and those selling $300+ daw's . Even though such daws are still
bargains in the grand scheme of audio production, what we
discuss in these forums can open multitudes of new doors,
by the increased affordabilty, and high quality results,
of Reaper based audio production.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:07 AM   #303
unius

Default PreSonus FaderPort crash

Hi! I am try setup FaderPort as control surface, but after set MIDI output to appropriate midi device and click on OK - Reaper exit with "Segmentation fault" message. Reaper 5.70 linux x86_64. FaderPort working nice in Ardour/Mixbus, Renoise
unius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:56 AM   #304
mete0r

What's the status on supported plugin APIs on linux?

If I want to port my audio code to a plugin API for linux so that it can run on REAPER (at least in the near future, maybe with a wrapper for now), avoiding VST if possible, what API should I choose?
mete0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:20 PM   #305
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mete0r View Post
What's the status on supported plugin APIs on linux?
There are several formats on linux, LADSPA & DSSI seem to be of no present relevance, but maybe good if a host supports it. LV2 http://lv2plug.in/ is LADSPA v2 and supports GUIs, the other format in use is LVST which until lately was unsupported by Steinberg. AFAIK official support is only VST3.

Quote:
If I want to port my audio code to a plugin API for linux so that it can run on REAPER (at least in the near future, maybe with a wrapper for now), avoiding VST if possible, what API should I choose?
Hard to say, at the moment reaper on linux does not support LV2, AFAIK it's in the plans, but personally I can only speculate on when...

So at the moment VST2/3 would be the only choice, which might even be is easier if you already have VST code.

It seems to be a bad idea to use a toolkit like gtk+ or qT, as it might conflict with other plugins, and in the case of reaper with gtk+. Use a specialized toolkit like https://github.com/DISTRHO/DPF or maybe JUCE https://juce.com/get-juce. The other advice is to statically link as much as possible to avoid potential problems with the runtime libs used by other plugins or the host itself.

Last edited by Jack Winter; 01-04-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #306
mete0r

Thanks for the advice! It was extremely easy to call my code from juce and get something working, so I think I'm sticking with that. the VST it builds works fine.

I'm not sure if this makes sense as a bug report, but... selecting all FX in a track from the Track FX window works right away, as opposed to windows, where they all get unselected for some reason, and I have to select them again. So I guess this is a bug in the windows version...? I don't know.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:51 AM   #307
Jack Winter

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! It was extremely easy to call my code from juce and get something working, so I think I'm sticking with that. the VST it builds works fine.

I'm not sure if this makes sense as a bug report, but... selecting all FX in a track from the Track FX window works right away, as opposed to windows, where they all get unselected for some reason, and I have to select them again. So I guess this is a bug in the windows version...? I don't know.
FYI, regarding JUCE it's by all accounts easy to use, but some linux users have taken a dislike to the newly introduced code for collecting user metrics.

This linux port is full of small issues like this where it acts slightly different to the windows version. Bug or not, it's hard to tell. Maybe better like this
Old 01-06-2018, 01:27 AM   #308
marxmarv

Default half-broken left mouse button?!

Just installed the Linux native x86_64 version 5.71pre7 out of the box with a fresh ~/.REAPER directory. Audio engine is wonderful and plays my old projects through JACK including plenty of bridged WinVSTs with no complaints.
However, the left button only sort of works. With it I can:
* select tracks (change media item selection)
* double click on a track to select all its contents
* dismiss popup menus
* focus buttons in dialogs
* focus text controls
With it I can't:
* arm recording on/mute/solo a track
* activate buttons in dialogs
* activate menus in the menu bar
* activate items in the preferences tree control
* move the play head to a designated point
* select a time range
* drag thumbs on scrollbars (particularly, when clicking the horizontal scrollbar on or anywhere inside the arrange view, the play head moves to 0:00.000)
Buttons work normally in all other software. The right button brings up popup menus as appropriate. Keyboard controls seem to work. Scroll wheel works. No button remapping via xinput or xpointer or anything like that is active. libgtk 3.22.11, kernel 4.9.51-1, Debian stretch.
Ideas? Suggestions?
marxmarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:52 AM   #309
mete0r

Quote:
newly introduced code for collecting user metrics.
yuck! I will have to see how to disable or patch that out.

Another small problem: I can't change the pitch of an item with shift + 9 (I checked and it's bound in the actions menu), but manually running the action works, changing the semitones in the properties works too. I'm on antergos with gnome 3 if that makes any difference.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:56 PM   #310
mete0r

Searching for anything in REAPER Preferences *sometimes* closes the REAPER Preferences window, often after a single successful occurrence found.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:04 AM   #311
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxmarv View Post
With it I can't:
* select a time range
* drag thumbs on scrollbars (particularly, when clicking the horizontal scrollbar on or anywhere inside the arrange view, the play head moves to 0:00.000)
Buttons work normally in all other software. The right button brings up popup menus as appropriate. Keyboard controls seem to work. Scroll wheel works. No button remapping via xinput or xpointer or anything like that is active. libgtk 3.22.11, kernel 4.9.51-1, Debian stretch.
Ideas? Suggestions?
Sorry for the late reply, I can't duplicate this at all.. You could try to build swell yourself, see: https://landoleet.org/dev/libSwell-roll-your-own.txt
Old 01-09-2018, 05:07 AM   #312
Jack Winter

Quote:
Searching for anything in REAPER Preferences *sometimes* closes the REAPER Preferences window, often after a single successful occurrence found.
Don't think I've ever seen this happen, though IIRC the dialog does respond slightly differently to the windows one, possible that you press enter expecting another search while it actually just does OK, so saves settings and closes the dialog?
Old 01-09-2018, 06:12 AM   #313
unius

I'm sorry, but is everyone running PreSonus FaderPort without crashing?
Old 01-09-2018, 06:38 AM   #314
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unius View Post
I'm sorry, but is everyone running PreSonus FaderPort without crashing?
I think I've been in contact with people unable to get control surfaces working with reaper for linux. Can't remember the details though...

Maybe best if you create a bug report, including what you have tried and what exactly happens.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:54 AM   #315
unius

Quote:
Maybe best if you create a bug report, including what you have tried and what exactly happens.
Thank you But I don't really understand how to create bug report. I thought that about Linux should write here
Old 01-09-2018, 07:29 AM   #316
Jack Winter

Yes at the moment the traffic regarding reaper on linux is low volume, so just write in this thread. But please try to be a bit more specific, like I enabled the support in preferences, but nothing happens at all, reaper crashes, reaper blocks, etc. The more detail you can give the better the chance that someone can fix it, or knows a workaround. Personally I don't have one, so I can't just test to see what happens..
Old 01-09-2018, 08:48 AM   #317
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxmarv View Post
Just installed the Linux native x86_64 version 5.71pre7 out of the box with a fresh ~/.REAPER directory. Audio engine is wonderful and plays my old projects through JACK including plenty of bridged WinVSTs with no complaints.
However, the left button only sort of works. With it I can:
* select tracks (change media item selection)
* double click on a track to select all its contents
* dismiss popup menus
* focus buttons in dialogs
* focus text controls
With it I can't:
* select a time range
Ideas? Suggestions?
Very odd -- what window manager/desktop environment are you using?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:38 PM   #318
babag

been playing with reaper in ubuntu studio and have to say i'm really impressed. probably means little as i don't know much about what i'm doing with this kind of work in linux yet.

tried to install avlinux and kxstudio as stated earlier but both froze during installation. ubuntu studio flew through the process, though, so that's what i have. successfully got the kxstudio software installed after that. did not install the full kde but have stuck with xfce. there are definite quirks with the setup but i believe most have to do with the os/de rather than reaper. one thing thatcould become a deal-breaker is the way windows open. i have a complex display setup with three smaller monitors across my desk and a bigscreen tv on the wall for video sync. ubuntu studio set these up perfectly out of the box. the quirk is that some windows, and this happens in reaper sometimes, haven't yert found a pattern, some windows open partially off-screen with the title bar, and thus the ability to grab and move the window, out of reach of the mouse. the only solution i've found is to open the display settings, drag the bigscreen tv and move it over above the display with the partially-visible window, then refresh. the window then displays split between the two monitors but with the title bar grabable. once i've repositioned the window i can put the displays back where they were and refresh. not good if it were to happen many times in a working session, which i'm sure it would.

the up side to things is that reaper has seemed to work very well. i've been replicating a surround editing/mixing environment i use in windows and it's been working pretty flawlessly.

one thing that has not yet become an issue but puzzles me is that i've been able to get full surround out of my saffire pro40 from reaper but have not yet been able to get jack to run. jackd throws an error every time. not sure how to troubleshoot that. been doing a lot of searching and reading but nothing helpful yet. hasn't interfered with reaper, though, which seems odd.

anyway, this is looking really promising and is very impressive. very exciting.

thanks,
BabaG
Old 01-11-2018, 05:22 AM   #319
Jack Winter

Quote:
there are definite quirks with the setup but i believe most have to do with the os/de rather than reaper. one thing thatcould become a deal-breaker is the way windows open. i have a complex display setup with three smaller monitors across my desk and a bigscreen tv on the wall for video sync. ubuntu studio set these up perfectly out of the box. the quirk is that some windows, and this happens in reaper sometimes, haven't yert found a pattern, some windows open partially off-screen with the title bar, and thus the ability to grab and move the window, out of reach of the mouse. the only solution i've found is to open the display settings, drag the bigscreen tv and move it over above the display with the partially-visible window, then refresh. the window then displays split between the two monitors but with the title bar grabable. once i've repositioned the window i can put the displays back where they were and refresh. not good if it were to happen many times in a working session, which i'm sure it would.
Hmm, this most likely has to do with your window manager. Don't know if it would work better, but on KDE you can configure it's WM to always open a certain window, with a certain geometry, on a specific monitor, etc. Maybe xfce has something similar, or you can try with gnome, KDE, or some other environment.

Quote:
one thing that has not yet become an issue but puzzles me is that i've been able to get full surround out of my saffire pro40 from reaper but have not yet been able to get jack to run. jackd throws an error every time. not sure how to troubleshoot that. been doing a lot of searching and reading but nothing helpful yet. hasn't interfered with reaper, though, which seems odd.
I saw a thread about this just this morning, maybe this is helpful? https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?p=89144#p89144

Mind you on the longer term reaper probably has to become more intelligent in how it interacts with window managers. I started to try to port swell to xlib in order to remove it's dependence on gtk+ and also to get closer to the metal, this work is unfortunately in limbo at the moment, as I don't find the time to work much on it... Maybe someday, or maybe someone else does it
Old 01-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #320
4duhwinnn

Menus won't open in 5.7 and later, they work fine in 5.65pre1,
no interim changes in the Mint 18.
with nvidia 9400 pcie video card,
with linux nvidia nouveau driver.
No related terminal output.

Basic tarball expansion install, nothing compiled.

Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote