Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 01-05-2018, 09:32 AM   #81
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by svijayrathinam View Post
I thought about it and its not practical for me.
I'm afraid you won't be able to see resolution for your problem, then... Justin wants to help you and is sympathetic to your issue, but TeamViewer isn't going to cut it.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:32 AM   #82
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
# of users complaining doesn't help, it's an issue of being able to repro in order to debug. The only thing about multiple users that would help is if some particular and relevant pattern about their setup was found.
The only similar patter I can think of is large displays. the smallest monitor that is being used in all these setups is 55 inch 4k.

The larger the display the more obvious the issue. Try hooking up a projector as a second monitor. You might find the issue obvious..
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #83
EvilDragon

But you said it happens on your laptop's own display, right? So it's not that, either.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:37 AM   #84
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
But you said it happens on your laptop's own display, right? So it's not that, either.

OK..let me pls clarify. It happens on every computer. in smaller screens it not that obvious but on larger screens its awful to look at a video like that. Hope this makes it clear for you
Old 01-05-2018, 09:38 AM   #85
svijayrathinam

Another thing that might help here is..if i play the video docked on a big screen it plays just a bit better but it still stutters but only not as bad as full screen.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:40 AM   #86
svijayrathinam

The other thing that I wonder is....you say that reaper is using VLC. But the same videos when played on VLC standalone works perfectly. If reaper is using VLC properly it should play it back fine isnt it?
Old 01-05-2018, 10:19 AM   #87
analogexplosions

I’ve had similar playback issues before.

First thing to do is make sure you are running the 64-bit VLC app.
The download isn’t as obvious as the standard 32-bit version on the VideoLAN website. You have to click on the orange arrow by the download button and choose 64-bit installer. (This is all assuming you are using 64-bit Reaper)

This fixed 99.9% of my playback issues. I also never use .mp4 or other lossy codecs, ProRes or PhotoJPEG .mov files perform much better and are frame accurate for editing. That fixed the other 0.01%.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:25 AM   #88
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogexplosions View Post
I’ve had similar playback issues before.

First thing to do is make sure you are running the 64-bit VLC app.
The download isn’t as obvious as the standard 32-bit version on the VideoLAN website. You have to click on the orange arrow by the download button and choose 64-bit installer. (This is all assuming you are using 64-bit Reaper)

This fixed 99.9% of my playback issues. I also never use .mp4 or other lossy codecs, ProRes or PhotoJPEG .mov files perform much better and are frame accurate for editing. That fixed the other 0.01%.
Pls find my screenshot. And I am not using mp4s. I have tried every pro codec like pro res HQ, Pro res LT, AVID DNX HD, MJEPG etc..

Yes I am on 64 Bit reaper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VLC_JPEG.jpg (23.1 KB, 211 views)
Old 01-05-2018, 10:51 AM   #89
analogexplosions

Quote:
Pls find my screenshot. And I am not using mp4s. I have tried every pro codec like pro res HQ, Pro res LT, AVID DNX HD, MJEPG etc..

Yes I am on 64 Bit reaper
Oh, the screenshot of your video file on page 1 said it was a 1080p h.264 .mp4 file.

I have no clue what your issue could be then. I’m constantly working with ProRes files without a hitch on a 4K screen. Both windowed and full-screen.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #90
EpicSounds

Quote:
I'm afraid you won't be able to see resolution for your problem, then... Justin wants to help you and is sympathetic to your issue, but TeamViewer isn't going to cut it.
You can see the issue over TeamViewer, and if Vijay is in the room he can say if it's working or not.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #91
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
You can see the issue over TeamViewer, and if Vijay is in the room he can say if it's working or not.
Thank you !! 😂😂
Old 01-08-2018, 01:40 AM   #92
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogexplosions View Post
Oh, the screenshot of your video file on page 1 said it was a 1080p h.264 .mp4 file.

I have no clue what your issue could be then. I’m constantly working with ProRes files without a hitch on a 4K screen. Both windowed and full-screen.
Hi , would you be kind enough to share you video settings ? and codecs installed pls ?
Old 01-08-2018, 01:51 PM   #93
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Hi , would you be kind enough to share you video settings ? and codecs installed pls ?
Would it be possible for you guys to support external video hardware like black magic? Atleast that could help?

Or atleast MMC support? This will help me use apps like video slave to run video synchronised to reaper. Currently only MTC is supported in reaper. This is only syncing with video slave while playing back video and not when seeking or nudging frame by frame. Can the developers atleast look into this type of thing?
Old 01-10-2018, 04:09 AM   #94
svijayrathinam

Update : Today, I spent nearly 4 hours installing Mac os high Sierra on external thunderbolt SSD on 2 computers. One Mac pro (trash can) , one iMac 5k. There was nothing else installed apart from VLC 64 bit and reaper 64 bit. I am reproducing the horrible video bug. I am urging the developers to take a look at this serious horrendous video bug ...Pls.. Pls
Old 01-10-2018, 02:19 PM   #95
srdmusic

I've always had weird stuttering with the video track selected. If I deselect the track everything works smoothly. Doesn't matter if I'm using Quicktime or VLC. Must be something with buffering on selected tracks.
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:30 PM   #96
mrlimbic

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
It certainly looks that way.

This used to work before, correct ?

It may be worth testing with older versions of Reaper. Backup your config via Preferences/General first.

I use the same VLC version that you use, just on Windows 7x64. I had no problem on Reaper 5.40 and am now using 5.60pre15 x64.

My video preferences, just in case something there is spotable.
Looking at your prefs screenshot on windows I see that there is a hardware rendering acceleration option (EVR) for windows that doesn't exist in the mac version prefs.

Mac OS will have some hardware rendering equivalent but maybe cockos haven't used it. On Mac at high resolutions it certainly looks like it's software only rendering. I can see the flicker. But with a smaller window it is not so obvious. Also curious on mac is that video seems to perform slightly better when docked than as a floating window.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:37 PM   #97
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlimbic View Post
Looking at your prefs screenshot on windows I see that there is a hardware rendering acceleration option (EVR) for windows that doesn't exist in the mac version prefs.

Mac OS will have some hardware rendering equivalent but maybe cockos haven't used it. On Mac at high resolutions it certainly looks like it's software only rendering. I can see the flicker. But with a smaller window it is not so obvious. Also curious on mac is that video seems to perform slightly better when docked than as a floating window.

Thank God. Finally someone also has the same issue !! Pls developers...I plead you to take a look at this...
Old 01-12-2018, 07:05 AM   #98
Justin
Administrator

I'll go get a big 4K screen to test on, maybe I can duplicate.

FYI the mac video side always uses hardware acceleration (OpenGL).
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:13 AM   #99
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

Thank you. Another update....Today ..I tried running the second monitor at 1080p @ 60Hz instead of my regular resolution which is 7860 X 4320 @ 24 Hz (Mac OS- doesn't support any other refresh rates apart from 24 Hz at that resolution. Basically the higher your resolution the refresh rate gets lower)

I had a much better video performance at 1080p 60Hz. But still I could see the flickers but not as bad as what I use to get at 7860 X 4320. So I have a feeling that reaper is not behaving as it should at higher resolutions. Or maybe the hardware acceleration doesn't quite do what its supposed to at high resolution ? Same videos when played with VLC or other DAWS like Protools, Logic at high resolution and lower refresh rates plays absolutely fine.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:41 AM   #100
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Thank you. Another update....Today ..I tried running the second monitor at 1080p @ 60Hz instead of my regular resolution which is 7860 X 4320 @ 24 Hz (Mac OS- doesn't support any other refresh rates apart from 24 Hz at that resolution. Basically the higher your resolution the refresh rate gets lower)

I had a much better video performance at 1080p 60Hz. But still I could see the flickers but not as bad as what I use to get at 7860 X 4320. So I have a feeling that reaper is not behaving as it should at higher resolutions. Or maybe the hardware acceleration doesn't quite do what its supposed to at high resolution ? Same videos when played with VLC or other DAWS like Protools, Logic at high resolution and lower refresh rates plays absolutely fine.
It might have more to do with the refresh rate than the resolution. Can you do 1080p 24Hz?
Old 01-12-2018, 07:41 AM   #101
svijayrathinam

Quote:
It might have more to do with the refresh rate than the resolution. Can you do 1080p 24Hz?
Yes. I did. At 24 Hz..its very bad..even at 1080p.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:53 AM   #102
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Yes. I did. At 24 Hz..its very bad..even at 1080p.
But even at 60 Hz it is bad..only not as bad as 24Hz.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:17 AM   #103
Justin
Administrator

The next prerelease will have an ini file option you can tweak which might help, will post here when that's up.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #104
svijayrathinam

Quote:
The next prerelease will have an ini file option you can tweak which might help, will post here when that's up.
Thank you so much !! This is great news. You literally saved me from months of pain. Much appreciated !!
Old 01-12-2018, 08:36 AM   #105
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Thank you so much !! This is great news. You literally saved me from months of pain. Much appreciated !!
Don't thank me yet, but hopefully it helps.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #106
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Don't thank me yet, but hopefully it helps.
Just the thought of you trying to fix this makes me happy already...

Last edited by svijayrathinam; 01-12-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:08 AM   #107
EvilDragon

24 Hz is really not pleasant to look at, no matter what the system or display size... No matter be it Reaper or any other program. From my experience, at least.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #108
Justin
Administrator

OK:

1) install 5.71pre11
2) run it
3) then quit
4) open ~/Library/Application Support/REAPER/reaper.ini a text editor
5) find the line:
Code:
refresh_ms=default (default is 10, can specify interval in milliseconds, 1 is fastest)
Change it to read:
Code:
refresh_ms=1
6) save the file
7) run REAPER and see if it's better. video will use a bit more CPU with this setting.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #109
svijayrathinam

Quote:
24 Hz is really not pleasant to look at, no matter what the system or display size... No matter be it Reaper or any other program. From my experience, at least.
Sorry..This is the Samsung's Flagship TV/Display out in the market currently. Everything I look on that looks absolutely gorgeous !!! Pls find the link below. I don't understand what you are talking about...

http://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/qled-q8c/QE65Q8CAMTXXU/
Old 01-12-2018, 09:19 AM   #110
EvilDragon

I'm not saying anything regarding image quality. I'm saying that, showing the same source at the same resolution, the difference between 24, 60 and 120 Hz refresh rate should be very much obvious (higher refresh rate = much easier on the eyes).
Old 01-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #111
svijayrathinam

Quote:
I'm not saying anything regarding image quality. I'm saying that, showing the same source at the same resolution, the difference between 24, 60 and 120 Hz refresh rate should be very much obvious (higher refresh rate = much easier on the eyes).
Ah..I get what you mean...
Old 01-12-2018, 09:22 AM   #112
EvilDragon

Good

Hopefully that tweak Justin added helps you with your troubles.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:31 AM   #113
svijayrathinam

Quote:
OK:

1) install 5.71pre11
2) run it
3) then quit
4) open ~/Library/Application Support/REAPER/reaper.ini a text editor
5) find the line:
Code:
refresh_ms=default (default is 10, can specify interval in milliseconds, 1 is fastest)
Change it to read:
Code:
refresh_ms=1
6) save the file
7) run REAPER and see if it's better. video will use a bit more CPU with this setting.

Thx for this update..But I am afraid this has made no difference. Video is still very flickery. Is there any other setting that I can try ?
Old 01-12-2018, 09:34 AM   #114
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Thx for this update..But I am afraid this has made no difference. Video is still very flickery. Is there any other setting that I can try ?
Hmm not at the moment. Can you tell me if that changed the CPU usage of reaper for you?

I'll go get a big screen to try testing with.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #115
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Hmm not at the moment. Can you tell me if that changed the CPU usage of reaper for you?

I'll go get a big screen to try testing with.

I don't think it has changed my CPU Usage. When I played quite a big project with lot of plugins I was hitting 12%. Its the same after changing the Reaper.ini settings
Old 01-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #116
mrlimbic

Quote:

When you are testing/tweaking performance on mac it is probably worth comparing to a native video app such as Video Slave 3. The demo quits after 30 mins, but never expires, so good for test purposes. I can see the difference between reaper performance & video slave.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #117
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlimbic View Post
When you are testing/tweaking performance on mac it is probably worth comparing to a native video app such as Video Slave 3. The demo quits after 30 mins, but never expires, so good for test purposes. I can see the difference between reaper performance & video slave.
Yes..Thats a great Idea. This is what I do all the time. Another free app that you can try is the free version of Black Magic's Davince Resolve..
Old 01-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #118
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
I don't think it has changed my CPU Usage. When I played quite a big project with lot of plugins I was hitting 12%. Its the same after changing the Reaper.ini settings
Hmm make sure you restarted reaper and that the edit took, it increased it by about a percent here...
Old 01-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #119
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Hmm make sure you restarted reaper and that the edit took, it increased it by about a percent here...
I am sure I did that. But let me have another go.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:01 AM   #120
svijayrathinam

I tried again. Actually I don't see any performance increase in CPU

Here are the screen shots
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before Tweaking_800X600_01.jpg (23.5 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg After Tweaking_800 X 600.jpg (21.2 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg The Tweak_800_600.jpg (27.5 KB, 147 views)