Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 02-21-2018, 04:58 AM   #321
daverich
Human being with feelings

anyone managed to kontakt 5 working in linux? (heck even kontakt 2 - I own both)
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:31 AM   #322
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverich View Post
anyone managed to kontakt 5 working in linux? (heck even kontakt 2 - I own both)
Yes 4 and 5, with Wine and PlayOnLinux, although I haven't attempted to run it as a plugin.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:06 AM   #323
daverich

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiesel41264 View Post
Yes 4 and 5, with Wine and PlayOnLinux, although I haven't attempted to run it as a plugin.
did it register ok? this is the part i'm having trouble with.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:13 AM   #324
daverich

I get this when trying to install the native access thingy

wine Native\ Access
err:module:import_dll Library VirtDisk.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Native Instruments\\Native Access\\Native Access.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Native Instruments\\Native Access\\Native Access.exe" failed, status c0000135
Old 02-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #325
Jack Winter

AFAIK, the native access app is a no go at the moment... But you ought to be able to run kontakt installed from older media. But I don't remember the specifics, it entails installing dll overrides with winetricks, and possibly changing wine version. I have an older kontakt5 installed from Komplete8. So far I haven't managed to install my Komplete11. Once you get it up and running, the best results are obtained by disabling multi processing in kontakt.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:03 AM   #326
daverich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
AFAIK, the native access app is a no go at the moment... But you ought to be able to run kontakt installed from older media. But I don't remember the specifics, it entails installing dll overrides with winetricks, and possibly changing wine version. I have an older kontakt5 installed from Komplete8. So far I haven't managed to install my Komplete11. Once you get it up and running, the best results are obtained by disabling multi processing in kontakt.
ok cool

My kontakt 2 is a no go 'cos NI seem to have turned off the licencing server, which is annoying.....
Old 02-21-2018, 11:06 AM   #327
Jack Winter

Urgh, that might mean that I'm up the creek too if I need to fix something... So do they only support native access nowdays?
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 02-21-2018, 11:07 AM   #328
daverich

Quote:
Urgh, that might mean that I'm up the creek too if I need to fix something... So do they only support native access nowdays?
yup - the online registering tool doesn't work so then you select offline registrations,- it makes a html file, but then when you go to the website to get the response file it doesn't work.

It's pretty darn annoying. Made me buy kontakt5 for my windows partition but that won't work on linux as yet.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:19 AM   #329
Jack Winter

I guess this isn't of much help, but some links I saved:

https://support.native-instruments.c...8048956f89e6fe
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42446
Old 02-21-2018, 11:22 AM   #330
Jack Winter

Wonder if the service centre still works?

I seem to remember someone that had problems with the native access app stating that he got download links to the installers after complaining. Maybe you can try the same and then register with service centre. Or maybe that is what they've turned off and it won't help even if you get the installers. Not sure how all this works. Still have komplete8 installed and sometimes play with guitarrig, but I never really use their software so haven't really spent much time on this lately.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:30 AM   #331
daverich

Quote:
Wonder if the service centre still works?

I seem to remember someone that had problems with the native access app stating that he got download links to the installers after complaining. Maybe you can try the same and then register with service centre. Or maybe that is what they've turned off and it won't help even if you get the installers. Not sure how all this works. Still have komplete8 installed and sometimes play with guitarrig, but I never really use their software so haven't really spent much time on this lately.
nope service center is dead. I've vented on their forums - very annoying because it's a totally artificial way of killing software.. like i say forced me to upgrade - just in order to use a silly little bass sample that's an nki!
Old 02-21-2018, 12:30 PM   #332
Jack Winter

Quote:
nope service center is dead. I've vented on their forums - very annoying because it's a totally artificial way of killing software.. like i say forced me to upgrade - just in order to use a silly little bass sample that's an nki!
I've just made backups of my ni wineprefix... Luckily the registration seems to survive.

Don't know if it would work, but maybe you could install a real windows in qemu and install kontakt that way. You could probably run reaper and render what you need.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #333
reddiesel41264

Yeah I'm using an older, pre native unaccess, version of 5
Old 02-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #334
osxmidi

The version of Native Access that I tried a few months ago stopped with a missing function in IPHLPAPI.DLL and I think Waves Central might be similar.

I reported it to WineHQ and it should be ok for recent versions of Wine.

Last edited by osxmidi; 02-21-2018 at 08:54 PM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:02 AM   #335
daverich

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
The version of Native Access that I tried a few months ago stopped with a missing function in IPHLPAPI.DLL and I think Waves Central might be similar.

I reported it to WineHQ and it should be ok for recent versions of Wine.
hmm, ok sounds like this might fix itself eventually then. I'll try in a few months
Old 02-22-2018, 06:14 AM   #336
osxmidi

The current Native Access needs a msvcp140.dll override with Wine 3.2 (due to an unimplemented function).

Then it starts up but thinks it's on a Mac and says it can't be used from the mounted disk and wants to be moved to the Applications folder.

Last edited by osxmidi; 03-07-2018 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:08 AM   #337
osxmidi

Well, I've got the current Native Access to run with wine.

I had to hack into wine and force the volumepath which wine is getting wrong for some reason.

At least the problem has been ID'd and can now hopefully be fixed.

The problem is in GetVolumePathNameW in volume.c which returns "C:\\Program
Files\\Native Instruments\\Native Access\\Native Access.exe\" but should return C:\

Last edited by osxmidi; 03-07-2018 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:25 PM   #338
Jack Winter

Congrats, that's a big one!
Old 03-08-2018, 03:29 AM   #339
Jack Winter

Quote:
I've found the bug and reported it to WineHQ but seeing that Wine might not pick up on it, I'm posting the code alterations so someone could roll their own Wine.
Have a link please?

Normally one would have to write a test that shows the function breaking, and then either wait or propose a fix oneself that may or may not be accepted.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:18 AM   #340
Jack Winter

Quote:
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on that. Just built wine with your fix, hopefully I have enough free diskspace to install
Old 03-08-2018, 04:50 AM   #341
Jack Winter

Hmm, now I do get native access installed and running, but all I get is mostly a black window... Will keep playing with it when I have some spare time.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:20 AM   #342
Garrick

Quote:
Well, I've got the current Native Access to run with wine.

I had to hack into wine and force the volumepath which wine is getting wrong for some reason.

At least the problem has been ID'd and can now hopefully be fixed.

The problem is in GetVolumePathNameW in volume.c which returns "C:\\Program
Files\\Native Instruments\\Native Access\\Native Access.exe" but should return C:\
Awesome news !!
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:51 AM   #343
osxmidi

The Native Access problem is due to Native Access sending

"C:/Program Files/Native Instruments/Native Access/Native Access.exe" to GetVolumePathNameW

when Native Access should be sending

"C:\\Program Files\\Native Instruments\\Native Access\\Native Access.exe" to GetVolumePathNameW

/ = unix path names and \\ = windows path names.

Maybe the real windows GetVolumePathNameW function can handle / in the path names but wines emulated GetVolumePathNameW function can't and it can only handle \\ in the path names.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:32 PM   #344
osxmidi

Here it is in action with Wine 3.3 before it connects to it's site and updates itself and then after, wanting the user to log in.

Last edited by osxmidi; 03-13-2018 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:04 AM   #345
swindus

Great work!

Some kind of bug, maybe a Tracktion problem? I use all Voxengo plugins with the embedded version of LinVst. They work great without any problems in Reaper. When I use them with Tracktion the DAW freezes immediately when I turn a knob on the plugin GUI with the mouse.

Another thing I noticed is that the space bar does not work in any DAW when a LinVst plugin has the focus. I always need to bring the focus back to the main window to use the space bar for the DAW transport functions.
swindus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:13 AM   #346
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by swindus View Post
Great work!

Some kind of bug, maybe a Tracktion problem? I use all Voxengo plugins with the embedded version of LinVst. They work great without any problems in Reaper. When I use them with Tracktion the DAW freezes immediately when I turn a knob on the plugin GUI with the mouse.

Another thing I noticed is that the space bar does not work in any DAW when a LinVst plugin has the focus. I always need to bring the focus back to the main window to use the space bar for the DAW transport functions.
Tracktion and Waveform have misaligned plugin gui's when used with LinVst probably because of some window manager thing/bug (I don't know if it happens with all window managers but it happens with mine), so I put in the option of a LinVst Tracktion/Waveform version that corrects it and it can be compiled (using -DTRACKTIONWM in the makefile) and it's also in the LinVst release binaries.

What's causing the freeze with Tracktion I don't know, I'll try to test it out.

LinVst has the focus because of possible keyboard input to the windows plugin.

When the windows plugin gui is entered into with the mouse, LinVst grabs the input focus for possible keyboard input ie hot keys, control values etc.

I'll take a look at it and see what I can do.

Last edited by osxmidi; 03-13-2018 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:11 AM   #347
swindus

Thanks! Looks like a Tracktion problem. The Voxengo plugins are working without problems in Mixbus too.

I'm using Debian Stretch and Wine 3.2 by the way. My FXpansion plugins (BFD Eco, Tremor or Etch) are also working great with LinVst. AAS plugins like Tassmann or String-Studio too. It's nice to use all my 'old' Windows plugins again on Linux. :-)

Keep up the good work!
Old 03-13-2018, 03:38 AM   #348
osxmidi

I tested Voxengo CurveEQ with Tracktion 7 and it seems to be ok on my Debian Stretch i7 system.

On your system it might be a library problem with Wine, hard to say.

I think the focus thing is that I either have the focus for keyboard input or I don't, so I might make it an option in the Makefile to remove it if someone wants.

If you make LinVst from source then you can just remove the below from linvst.cpp and that will not grab the focus and the space bar should be ok but there will be no keyboard input to the windows vst capability anymore though.

case EnterNotify:
// if(reaperid)
if(mapped2)
XSetInputFocus(display, child, RevertToPointerRoot, CurrentTime);
break;

Last edited by osxmidi; 03-13-2018 at 03:48 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:21 AM   #349
swindus

I still say Tracktion .... what I mean is Waveform 9. I installed Tracktion 7 and it works indeed.

Thanks for the hint for the keyboard input but I think I won't remove the complete keyboard input from the windows vst plugins. It's not so important I can just click on the main window.

Thanks again.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:57 PM   #350
osxmidi

Quote:
I tried the demo and all went well until Waves licence manager gave up just as the install was about to begin.

Waves Central seems to be using Qt5Network and Qt5Web.

I think that that might be similar to what NI's Native Access is using.

IPHLPAPI.DLL is used by both as well and it had a Wine unimplemented function that should be fixed in future versions of Wine Staging.

Someone has worked the Waves Central giving up problem out using Wine Staging 2.21 https://blog.inagaki.in/wine-waves-central-en/

The following steps are required to avoid the error.

Installing robocopy https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=17657

Robocopy.exe: Robust File Copy Utility (Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools)

Adding environment variables

wine regedit

Add the following string environment variables under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment

COMMONPROGRAMFILES(X86) C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files
PROGRAMFILES(X86) C:\Program Files (x86)
PUBLIC C:\users\Public

robocopy needs a mfc42u.dll 32 bit override in syswow64

The say the actual Waves plugins don't run but that might be able to be fixed.

Seeing that Wine has stopped Wine staging, then the current Wine3 doesn't have the Wine Staging patches that enable Waves Central to run (SetFileCompletionNotificationModes patches) and so it just crashes on startup.

So the Wine Staging patches need to be submitted into Wine 3 Devel.

Last edited by osxmidi; 03-25-2018 at 05:10 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:15 AM   #351
Jack Winter

FWIW, I do see the GUI if I run native access with primusrun, so the black window is due to some problem with the intel driver. After several crashes native access has updated itself and it has even downloaded the fm8.iso. Don't have much time to spend on this, but will try again when I find some.

This was with wine 3.3 and osxmidi's patch for the volume name.

Another FWIW, someone has picked up wine-staging and is in the process of cleaning it up and getting it working again, hopefully we'll see good results soon. https://github.com/wine-staging/wine-staging

Last edited by Jack Winter; 03-16-2018 at 04:11 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:15 AM   #352
osxmidi

Quote:
FWIW, I do see the GUI if I run native access with primusrun, so the black window is due to some problem with the intel driver. After several crashes native access has updated itself and it has even downloaded the fm8.iso. Don't have much time to spend on this, but will try again when I find some.

This was with wine 3.3 and osxmidi's patch for the volume name.

Another FWIW, someone has picked up wine-staging and is in the process of cleaning it up and getting it working again, hopefully we'll see good results soon. https://github.com/wine-staging/wine-staging
Sounds pretty good.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:16 AM   #353
osxmidi

i've been able to get Waves Central to download a waves vst using the above and it installed everything ok.

Running the vst might be different though.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:18 AM   #354
Jack Winter

Cool. I've never tried waves with LinVst. FWIW, I never got the waves plugs working in reaper/wine, reaper didn't pick up the vstshell version, and iirc waveshell didn't work either.

Does LinVst support vstshell?
Old 03-16-2018, 06:19 AM   #355
kytdkut

Quote:

So the Wine Staging patches need to be submitted into Wine 3 Devel.
wine-staging is still running

https://github.com/wine-staging/wine-staging
kytdkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:02 AM   #356
daverich

thanks for trying to sort this out guys,- it's all waaaay above my head
Old 03-20-2018, 09:59 PM   #357
osxmidi

Quote:
thanks for trying to sort this out guys,- it's all waaaay above my head
Native Access will work if a patch is applied to Wine.

Whether Wine-Devel picks up on the patch is up in the air at the moment.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:04 AM   #358
osxmidi

Well, I've managed to get the Waves plugins running.

Waves Central needs Wine Staging but after that (license) Wine 3 can be used.

The current LinVst needs an update to be able to handle Waves.

Last edited by osxmidi; 03-22-2018 at 05:12 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #359
Jack Winter

Quote:
Well, I've managed to get the Waves plugins running.

Waves Central needs Wine Staging but after that (license) Wine 3 can be used.

The current LinVst needs an update to be able to handle Waves.
Wow, that's good doing! Congrats!
Old 03-22-2018, 12:07 PM   #360
nosucherror

Hi OSXMIDI,
I've just done a fresh install of Linux Mint 18 (KDE) on a Lenovo laptop (Intel graphics card) and am having no joy with LinVST at all. The plugins crash REAPER when I try to close them, sometimes they just crash when they're processing audio. The interface knobs cause the mouse to jump about. I'm using Melda and Toneboosters plug ins. I had them working well about 6 months ago on a Ubuntu Studio install with LinVST 1.03. Other variables are the REAPER version (5.78rc3) and WINE (3.4).
Jack Winter talked about WINE debugging a while back but I'm not sure if he was referring to native REAPER. Is this the best place to start in getting things working?
Is there a particular plug in that works really well in LinVST that I could use as a first test on a fresh install?
nosucherror is offline   Reply With Quote