Old 06-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #1
experimentfailed
Human being with feelings

Default Gentoo + Wineasio = no joy

Hi all,

This is not a Reaper-specific issue, but figure if anybody has experience with this, I'll probably find them here. I also posted in the Gentoo forums, as I /believe/ (but by far not certain yet) this to be a multilib issue. I tried the not-so-secret native pre-betas but they're still a bit buggy for my taste and Reaper runs great under Wine currently (other than the obvious issue of latency).

Basically, it just won't compile and I seem to be one of only 2 or 3 people int he world ever experiencing the specific error, and the other sources didn't seem to come back with a solution.

Following 64-bit instructions (ideal for my use case), this happens:
Code:
# make -f Makefile64 
winegcc -shared wineasio.dll.spec -mnocygwin -L/usr/lib/wine -L/usr/lib -o wineasio.dll.so asio.o main.o regsvr.o     -ljack  -lodbc32 -lole32 -lwinmm -luuid
main.o: In function `DllGetClassObject':
/home/statik/Downloads/asio_tmp/wineasio/main.c:134: undefined reference to `IID_IClassFactory'
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/6.4.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: main.o: relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against undefined hidden symbol `IID_IClassFactory' can not be used when making a shared object
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/6.4.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
winegcc: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc failed
make: *** [Makefile64:113: wineasio.dll.so] Error 2
When trying 32-bit, this happens:
Code:
# make
winegcc -shared -m32 wineasio.dll.spec -mnocygwin -L/usr/lib32/wine -L/usr/lib32 -o wineasio.dll.so asio.o main.o regsvr.o     -ljack  -lodbc32 -lole32 -lwinmm -luuid
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-ld: Relocatable linking with relocations from format elf64-x86-64 (asio.o) to format elf32-i386 (wineasio.WMT0yp.o) is not supported
winebuild: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-ld failed with status 1
winegcc: winebuild failed
make: *** [Makefile:114: wineasio.dll.so] Error 2
I'm so close...got my new Behringer UMC1820 setup and working with JACK+ALSA, plus new keyboard and 2 control surfaces all ready for action, but alas, this brings the whole setup to a grinding halt.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by experimentfailed; 06-15-2018 at 03:29 PM.
experimentfailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:46 AM   #2
brainwreck

You would probably be better off asking in one of the linux threads in the pre-release section of the forum.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:18 AM   #3
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by experimentfailed View Post
Hi all,

This is not a Reaper-specific issue, but figure if anybody has experience with this, I'll probably find them here. I also posted in the Gentoo forums, as I /believe/ (but by far not certain yet) this to be a multilib issue. I tried the not-so-secret native pre-betas but they're still a bit buggy for my taste and Reaper runs great under Wine currently (other than the obvious issue of latency).

Basically, it just won't compile and I seem to be one of only 2 or 3 people int he world ever experiencing the specific error, and the other sources didn't seem to come back with a solution.

Following 64-bit instructions (ideal for my use case), this happens:
Code:
# make -f Makefile64 
winegcc -shared wineasio.dll.spec -mnocygwin -L/usr/lib/wine -L/usr/lib -o wineasio.dll.so asio.o main.o regsvr.o     -ljack  -lodbc32 -lole32 -lwinmm -luuid
main.o: In function `DllGetClassObject':
/home/statik/Downloads/asio_tmp/wineasio/main.c:134: undefined reference to `IID_IClassFactory'
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/6.4.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: main.o: relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against undefined hidden symbol `IID_IClassFactory' can not be used when making a shared object
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/6.4.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
winegcc: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc failed
make: *** [Makefile64:113: wineasio.dll.so] Error 2
When trying 32-bit, this happens:
Code:
# make
winegcc -shared -m32 wineasio.dll.spec -mnocygwin -L/usr/lib32/wine -L/usr/lib32 -o wineasio.dll.so asio.o main.o regsvr.o     -ljack  -lodbc32 -lole32 -lwinmm -luuid
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-ld: Relocatable linking with relocations from format elf64-x86-64 (asio.o) to format elf32-i386 (wineasio.WMT0yp.o) is not supported
winebuild: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-ld failed with status 1
winegcc: winebuild failed
make: *** [Makefile:114: wineasio.dll.so] Error 2
I'm so close...got my new Behringer UMC1820 setup and working with JACK+ALSA, plus new keyboard and 2 control surfaces all ready for action, but alas, this brings the whole setup to a grinding halt.

Any help is appreciated!
I might be able to help as I wrote the current version of wineasio, I'm not sure about your errors, but looks like to be some confusion regarding 32 and 64 bit..

I've forgotten most of this and think this might take a while to figure out, would you mind coming onto irc:freenode.org channel #wineasio? Would probably go a lot faster over irc..
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
experimentfailed

Sure, I can do IRC. I guess I'll just jump in when I can and hope to run into you or ask around if I bump into others.

Thank you!
Old 06-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #5
experimentfailed

Finally got past this using the hering-overlay. I tried that first thing, but following the instructions provided did not work and it wouldn't even try to compile. However, a kind individual on the Gentoo forums helped me get it working and it compiled no problem.

Solution at the bottom here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-...0.html#8229820

I'm guessing this most certainly had to do w/ mixing 32 and 64 bit stuffs (multilib) and the overlay was smart enough to work it out once we got it working.

Cheers!
Old 06-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #6
experimentfailed

Wellp...Once I got around to the last steps of setting this up, I've now run into another brick wall. WineASIO appears to connect to JACK (JACK2 btw) but past that, nothing works and Reaper says it can't initialize the ASIO driver.

I get this kind of stuff from JACK when it tries:
Code:
Cannot read socket fd = 12 err = Success
Unknown request 0
Cannot read socket fd = 12 err = Success
Unknown request 0
Cannot read socket fd = 15 err = Success
Unknown request 0
Cannot read socket fd = 15 err = Success
and Reaper just goes:
Code:
There was an error opening the audio hardware:

Error initializing ASIO driver
The console running Wine/Reaper says:
Code:
Cannot create thread res = 11
Cannot start Jack client listener
Cannot start channel
JackShmReadWritePtr1::~JackShmReadWritePtr1 - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
I saw here that JACK needed realtime. So just to test, I tried running JACK and Reaper as root. The Wine console output changed, saying the following a lot, but still nothing works:
Code:
fixme:alsa:get_channel_mask Unknown speaker configuration: 10
fixme:avrt:AvSetMmThreadCharacteristicsW (L"Pro Audio",0x7eae450): stub
fixme:win:SetGestureConfig (0x100c4 00000000 1 0x22d8c8 12): stub
Also, as root, Reaper says buffers instead of driver:
Code:
There was an error opening the audio hardware:

Error initializing ASIO buffers
And, alas, I remain dead in the water

I will try to catch you (Jack Winter) on IRC if you don't mind...maybe you'd be able to help with this more than the other issue.

Also, I've heard others are using JACK1 instead of JACK2 so I will also try that first, but it's going to be a huge PITA to deal with dependencies on my system.

EDIT: Here is how I am running Reaper:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
#WINEASIO_AUTOSTART_SERVER=0
#WINEASIO_NUMBER_INPUTS=12
#WINEASIO_NUMBER_OUTPUTS=10
#WINEASIO_CONNECT_TO_HARDWARE=1
WINEASIO_FIXED_BUFFERSIZE=0
#WINEASIO_PREFERRED_BUFFERSIZE=256
wine64 /home/statik/.wine/drive_c/REAPER/reaper.exe
Have tried various changes in the WINEASIO options, but while they seem to change the overall symptoms, nothing seems to make it better.

Last edited by experimentfailed; 06-16-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:54 AM   #7
shosty

Just a stab in the dark but have you tried without the WINEASIO_FIXED_BUFFERSIZE=0 option?
shosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #8
experimentfailed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shosty View Post
Just a stab in the dark but have you tried without the WINEASIO_FIXED_BUFFERSIZE=0 option?
Yea, I tried several logical combinations of those settings. It seems to sometimes maybe yield slightly different console output in either JACK or Wine, but still Reaper says it can't initialize the buffers no matter what (except as user, it can't initialize the driver at all).

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #9
shosty

Does jack run properly on its own, with ardour for example?
The progress as a non-user seems a bit odd, I wonder if there's a realtime configuration issue?
Old 06-17-2018, 08:50 AM   #10
experimentfailed

Yea, Ardour seems to work just fine, even without realtime capability.

I know why I have to run as root, which is because I haven't set up realtime for userland. What I don't understand is why realtime makes any difference at all. I'm trying to sort realtime for users now, but somehow have lost the makefile for my current kernel.....UGH.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2018, 08:56 AM   #11
Jack Winter

You really shouldn't run jack and/or programs as root... That can cause you problems later on. First of all one question, why reaper in wine? You do know that there is a native version right?

Second, I suspect that you haven't given your user the right to create realtime threads and lock memory? Have a look at this: http://www.jackaudio.org/faq/linux_rt_config.html

Maybe best to make sure that JACK can be started and that everything works in linux before trying with wine..
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 06-17-2018, 09:01 AM   #12
experimentfailed

I think you must have been typing that while I was working on my last reply.

The root thing is temporary, just to see if realtime made a difference. JACK seems to work fine with other applications (at least Ardour 5), so in theory should work with Wine I would think...

Thanks!

EDIT: sorry, didn't see your question. I tried the Linux beta but it seemed fairly buggy compared to my past experiences w/ Wine+Reaper. Plus, plugin support - I know there's a way to load windows VSTs or alternatively I could scrap my entire library and go with Linux only. Either option sounds disappointing and arduous at best. Not that this hasn't started becoming arduous...I'll give the beta another go. I honestly only spent about 10 minutes with it.

Last edited by experimentfailed; 06-17-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:31 AM   #13
shosty

I've been using it for month or two and it seems stable and I haven't noticed many bugs, the ones that I have seen I reported and they got fixed within a couple of days.

With rea* plugins and the JS ones I don't miss lv2 very much, along with all the linux vsts in the kxstudio repo, and windows vsts with linvst, I'm really happy with the selection. Just the built in plugins alone cover a lot.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:59 AM   #14
experimentfailed

I just played around with it for about 20 minutes. I think it doesn't like my tiling window manager too much (Qtile). The mouse gets wonky sometimes (clicks delay and freeze the window manager for several seconds), and menus won't stay visible sometimes. Thankfully, however, I wont be using the mouse too much once I get all my gear configured.

I too mainly use the plugins that come with Reaper because they are very good. Mainly VSTi's that I'll miss - Kontakt (which I need one way or the other, so going to see if I can run it over the network via Reamote from my Steam in-home streaming server). Also, my favorite instrument Synth1 will be missed (at least I don't /think/ there is a linux build for that one). Otherwise, I'm not too attached to anything. I just know my current library well and it will take time to make the switch

Sadly, this is Gentoo so no kxstudio. Someone has made an overlay called Gentoo Studio, which I'll take a look at. I usually source my VSTs from KVR, though.

Thanks again to all who replied! I think I'll get by with this now

Cheers
Old 06-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #15
experimentfailed

Reaper+Qtile is currently a no-go (mainly b/c of the aforementioned mouse issues and freezing the WM). I'm guessing it's probably something atypical in Qtile, as it runs pretty much flawlessly on Openbox.

So with a little creativity and google-fu, I discovered Xnest, and now using the following script to launch reaper (for Gentoo users, add xnest to your USE flags):

Code:
#!/bin/bash
Xnest -geometry 3440x1415 :2 &
export DISPLAY=:2
openbox --startup reaper
*where reaper should be the full path to the reaper5 executable. If there's a way to do dynamic resolution, I'm not aware of it, but going without the -geometry option doesn't give me the proper height - only semi-fluid width.

Note: replace the resolution (3440x1415) with whatever makes a nice full screen fit. My monitor is 3440x1440 but my Qtile bar takes up a bit and the Openbox window decorations take up a bit, so had to shrink the vertical size down to compensate. Just took a bit of trial and error.

Next up: control surfaces. And with my attempts so far, I'm not getting my hopes up. I got my MIDI ports all linked up and can use them from the MIDI Devices section in Reaper options, but cannot get my BCF2000 to work under Control/OSC/web as a Mackie device. Will make a separate post for that if I can't get anywhere. Not even sure if it's supported yet so maybe something we'll just have to wait for
Old 06-18-2018, 12:34 AM   #16
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by experimentfailed View Post
Reaper+Qtile is currently a no-go (mainly b/c of the aforementioned mouse issues and freezing the WM). I'm guessing it's probably something atypical in Qtile, as it runs pretty much flawlessly on Openbox.

So with a little creativity and google-fu, I discovered Xnest, and now using the following script to launch reaper (for Gentoo users, add xnest to your USE flags):

Code:
#!/bin/bash
Xnest -geometry 3440x1415 :2 &
export DISPLAY=:2
openbox --startup reaper
*where reaper should be the full path to the reaper5 executable. If there's a way to do dynamic resolution, I'm not aware of it, but going without the -geometry option doesn't give me the proper height - only semi-fluid width.

Note: replace the resolution (3440x1415) with whatever makes a nice full screen fit. My monitor is 3440x1440 but my Qtile bar takes up a bit and the Openbox window decorations take up a bit, so had to shrink the vertical size down to compensate. Just took a bit of trial and error.

Next up: control surfaces. And with my attempts so far, I'm not getting my hopes up. I got my MIDI ports all linked up and can use them from the MIDI Devices section in Reaper options, but cannot get my BCF2000 to work under Control/OSC/web as a Mackie device. Will make a separate post for that if I can't get anywhere. Not even sure if it's supported yet so maybe something we'll just have to wait for
Posts about the native reaper version would probably be best in the dedicated threads in the pre forum.

Don't think we have any posts about using control surfaces, but I think there were a few people that contacted me on irc with problems, but also know that Justin fixed a bug for it. Would be good to get any eventual kinks worked out as far as that is concerned.