Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 10-12-2018, 02:28 AM   #2041
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Green View Post
I'm seeing lots of interesting and unique approaches being presented here, though I think I might be hoping for something on a much simpler scale.

So I just put up a quick video of how my small setup currently works to maybe give you guys some ideas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orzbx75sFv4

Basically, the buttons on the remote are some of my most commonly used plugins, each with a macro that loads the plugin onto a selected track and opens it's window. Parameters in each individual plugin can be easily custom mapped to any of the eight faders or buttons (no layering unfortunately). Going back and forth between FX windows for adjustment is very simple and straightforward.

Hope this is helpful.
Nice workflow !!

I think I'll add the ability to control the navigation as per your setup -- new action named SynchSurfaceToSelectedTrack, thanks !!
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:15 AM   #2042
orbiterred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Nice workflow !!

I think I'll add the ability to control the navigation as per your setup -- new action named SynchSurfaceToSelectedTrack, thanks !!
This would be BEAUTY!
orbiterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:16 AM   #2043
andyp24

Hi Geoff,

Any ideas yet on when an OSC-capable build might be up for testing?

(I don't think I've missed one.... but have been rather busy, so haven't read the thread 100% since last discussion we had)

Andy
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:30 AM   #2044
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp24 View Post
Hi Geoff,

Any ideas yet on when an OSC-capable build might be up for testing?

(I don't think I've missed one.... but have been rather busy, so haven't read the thread 100% since last discussion we had)

Andy
Just back in town after Canadian Thanksgiving visits, will be starting this on Monday...
Old 10-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #2045
andyp24

Ok no hassle from my side - just wanting to try and help when I can.
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:35 PM   #2046
Mr. Green

Quote:
Nice workflow !!

Ahh - nice! :-)

btw - how much functionality is there atm? Is there a setup procedure I should be following (aside from the readme setup)?

Also, will I be able to use the FP8 in it's native mode, or do I need to be using MCU mode (and if MCU, which variation should I select on the hardware - Logic, Cubase, or Sonar?)
Mr. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:40 AM   #2047
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Ahh - nice! :-)

btw - how much functionality is there atm? Is there a setup procedure I should be following (aside from the readme setup)?

Also, will I be able to use the FP8 in it's native mode, or do I need to be using MCU mode (and if MCU, which variation should I select on the hardware - Logic, Cubase, or Sonar?)
There is already an FP16.rst map for native in the pre alpha, probably wouldn't take much to come up with one for the FP8.

As far as functionality, unrefined (unfinished) implementations of the usual suspects:

Transport
Channel Strips -- Faders, Rotaries, Displays, Mute/Solo/RecArm/Select, etc.
FX mappings for Mackie C4 / Softube Console 1 flavour surfaces
Mapping FX for MCU is reasonably weak right now, improvements planned
Ability to chase TCP/MCP and hide/unhide using Track Manager
Separate Sends page
Ability to "Pin" Tracks to a particular surface Channel. Pinned tracks stay put, whilst other tracks bank around them

A whole bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting, why don't you give it a try ? !!
It would be great to be able to include an FP8 map !
Old 10-15-2018, 02:12 PM   #2048
Mr. Green

Quote:
There is already an FP16.rst map for native in the pre alpha, probably wouldn't take much to come up with one for the FP8.

As far as functionality, unrefined (unfinished) implementations of the usual suspects:

Transport
Channel Strips -- Faders, Rotaries, Displays, Mute/Solo/RecArm/Select, etc.
FX mappings for Mackie C4 / Softube Console 1 flavour surfaces
Mapping FX for MCU is reasonably weak right now, improvements planned
Ability to chase TCP/MCP and hide/unhide using Track Manager
Separate Sends page
Ability to "Pin" Tracks to a particular surface Channel. Pinned tracks stay put, whilst other tracks bank around them

A whole bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting, why don't you give it a try ? !!
It would be great to be able to include an FP8 map !
I'd love to!
How do I go about setting that up?
(right now, using any of the Faderport's MCU modes, the faders only move from Reaper's console window, but not the other way around. Also, I can't find any other functionality aside from banking channels)
Mr. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:56 AM   #2049
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
I'd love to!
How do I go about setting that up?
(right now, using any of the Faderport's MCU modes, the faders only move from Reaper's console window, but not the other way around. Also, I can't find any other functionality aside from banking channels)
Just go here: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/33037/CSI%20pre%20alpha.zip

Follow the instructions in the readme.

Action Template Folder is now Action Template File, the doc needs updating
Old 10-17-2018, 02:17 PM   #2050
Damster

Default BCR2000 - Still Struggling

Ok have explored BCR2000 (MCU mode) much more on my own and have a couple quick questions regarding plugins:

1. What editor are you using for .fxt files?

Using notepad on win10 here and can only get working .fxt if I copy/paste the ReaComp.fxt from install files....If I try to type in the exact same thing(phrasing, syntax and spacing) I get nothing....is this a notepad issue? If so what editor should I use?

2. With BCR2000 I use Klinke MCU 0.96 which gets me working faders/mutes/solos etc. and I can access plugins on selection (TrackOnSelection MapFXToWidgets)

My first Rotary encoder inputs b0 10 but reaComp output is b0 30 which means no led feedback....the encoders mapped for fader use are fine with IN e0 00 OUT e0 00 which gives led feedback fine

Is this an MCU protocol behavior? I could'nt determine from .rst

Ultimately I would like to use the BCR much more like a Mackie C4 but right now I just need to understan the basics a bit more

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Damster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #2051
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damster View Post
Ok have explored BCR2000 (MCU mode) much more on my own and have a couple quick questions regarding plugins:

1. What editor are you using for .fxt files?

Using notepad on win10 here and can only get working .fxt if I copy/paste the ReaComp.fxt from install files....If I try to type in the exact same thing(phrasing, syntax and spacing) I get nothing....is this a notepad issue? If so what editor should I use?

2. With BCR2000 I use Klinke MCU 0.96 which gets me working faders/mutes/solos etc. and I can access plugins on selection (TrackOnSelection MapFXToWidgets)

My first Rotary encoder inputs b0 10 but reaComp output is b0 30 which means no led feedback....the encoders mapped for fader use are fine with IN e0 00 OUT e0 00 which gives led feedback fine

Is this an MCU protocol behavior? I could'nt determine from .rst

Ultimately I would like to use the BCR much more like a Mackie C4 but right now I just need to understan the basics a bit more

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Hey Damster. I know that the syntax has to be EXACT. No extra spaces, etc. Also, make sure that you name the file the same as the plugin name, and the header for the fxt should be the same as the plugin name including the VST#: if that makes sense (look at the ReaComp example). And, the parameters also all have to match exactly, which you can get by clicking the UI button in the FX chain window to show all the values for that plug. The only thing you can make up yourself is the display text. Just a few tidbits from my own frustrating experience.

I have been using the same copy/paste procedure and then filling in the corresponding values as i noted. OH, one more thing: it will NOT work on the last track of a project. Bug. So, if you only have 1 track that you're "testing" with, it will never work. Ask me how i know! Have a blank track at the end of a project, and test with the previous tracks.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:41 PM   #2052
Damster

Thanks poetnprophet

Are you also using win10/notepad?

Also have you been successful in getting all rotaries mapped and working on any plugins?
Old 10-17-2018, 04:51 PM   #2053
poetnprophet

Quote:
Thanks poetnprophet

Are you also using win10/notepad?

Also have you been successful in getting all rotaries mapped and working on any plugins?
Yes, Win10 but I use wordpad...same thing, right? It's just a .txt file renamed fxt in the end.

Yes, I have several of my go to plugins mapped. SSL Comp, SSL Channel Mono, CA2A, 1176, a convolution reverb, a delay plugin, ReaEQ...and a couple of others.

As it is now, when a track is selected, any plugins that have mapped FXT files will show up on the C4. This means I have to plan my layout in advance, so I have the SSL channel taking up halfof the C4, then I have a preamp plugin also mapped to the side. That's it for that track. A folder track will have the CA2A and ReaEQ, with parameters mapped accordingly so I can use them both. Otherwise, parameters will just overwrite/overlap another
Old 10-17-2018, 05:19 PM   #2054
Damster

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
Yes, Win10 but I use wordpad...same thing, right? It's just a .txt file renamed fxt in the end.

Yes, I have several of my go to plugins mapped. SSL Comp, SSL Channel Mono, CA2A, 1176, a convolution reverb, a delay plugin, ReaEQ...and a couple of others.
Ok Awesome....I just tried wordpad and notepad++ (free utility) and managed to map almost all of the ReaComp ( something about notepad doesn't translate sytax properly perhaps).....using the stock notepad that comes with Windows was definitely messing me up!

Quote:
As it is now, when a track is selected, any plugins that have mapped FXT files will show up on the C4. This means I have to plan my layout in advance, so I have the SSL channel taking up halfof the C4, then I have a preamp plugin also mapped to the side. That's it for that track. A folder track will have the CA2A and ReaEQ, with parameters mapped accordingly so I can use them both. Otherwise, parameters will just overwrite/overlap another
Question about the C4....do the plugins map if you select a track from within Reaper or from surface only? If surface, what is the button you puch on the C4 to "select track"

Thanks!

Last edited by Damster; 10-17-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:11 AM   #2055
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
OH, one more thing: it will NOT work on the last track of a project. Bug. So, if you only have 1 track that you're "testing" with, it will never work. Ask me how i know! Have a blank track at the end of a project, and test with the previous tracks.
Thank for reminding me, new build is up: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/33037/CSI%20pre%20alpha.zip

That bug is now fixed, I hope
Old 10-18-2018, 08:17 AM   #2056
Flavio

That's GREAT!
But I am lost... I went through around 25 pages of this thread and I did not find any link to a complete documentation (other than the CSI ReadMe.pdf file)

Any place to get it?

Thank you!
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:49 AM   #2057
poetnprophet

Quote:

Question about the C4....do the plugins map if you select a track from within Reaper or from surface only? If surface, what is the button you puch on the C4 to "select track"

Thanks!
I select from Reaper, or from the mixer surface usually (Qcon ProX). There is nothing on the C4 that I use to select a track or really anything other than the rotaries....at this time.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #2058
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio View Post
That's GREAT!
But I am lost... I went through around 25 pages of this thread and I did not find any link to a complete documentation (other than the CSI ReadMe.pdf file)

Any place to get it?

Thank you!
That's because there isn't any

The software is at a pre alpha stage, so the documentation, however sparse would get out of date so quickly as to be mostly useless, but don't worry it's on the way later...

Meanwhile, it's actually an incredibly simple concept:

.rst file -- attach a name to a message:

Play 90 5e 7f

.axt file -- tell Reaper to do something when it sees that message:

Play Play

That means that the closest thing to documentation is the various .rst, and .axt files.

The .rst files contain mappings from messages to names for various control surfaces.

The .axt files contain mappings from .rst names to Reaper actions.
That means you should look at the .axt files to see what CSI can currently tell Reaper to do.

There are some other concepts like pages, but for now just understand .rst and .axt files.

.fxt files are just .axt files for FX, for mapping surface controls to FX params.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:55 PM   #2059
poetnprophet

Quote:
Ok Awesome....I just tried wordpad and notepad++ (free utility) and managed to map almost all of the ReaComp ( something about notepad doesn't translate sytax properly perhaps).....using the stock notepad that comes with Windows was definitely messing me up!

Thanks!
Quote:

The software is at a pre alpha stage, so the documentation, however sparse would get out of date so quickly as to be mostly useless, but don't worry it's on the way later...

Play 90 5e 7f

Play Play

That means that the closest thing to documentation is the various .rst, and .axt files.

The .rst files contain mappings from messages to names for various control surfaces.

That means you should look at the .axt files to see what CSI can currently tell Reaper to do.

There are some other concepts like pages, but for now just understand .rst and .axt files.

.fxt files are just .axt files for FX, for mapping surface controls to FX params.
Ha....well if this is 'easy' then call me Uneasy! It took me maybe 2 months to understand it and i've read every page in this thread...at least once.

But I'll tell you this: if I can do it, anyone can do it. Seems like most here are way more skilled than I.

I'd be happy to help with a manual, also...whenever that time comes. I am quite the "layman" so think I can contribute to make it dummy-proof.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:19 PM   #2060
Gass n Klang

Default need some advice

Hey guys,
I'd like to check out which controllers could make my daily life easier.
I'm thinking about buying some Icon Qcon G2 / EX devices for faders, panning, mute, solo and channel select.
In addition I'd like to be able to remote control plugins. I wondered if the following is possible:
1) I'd like to use my android tablet with touch osc or lemur to load a new plugin on the selected channel (should work with osc/midi commands)
2) I'd like to see the plugins of the selected channel on my android tablet and want to be able to open the gui of a plugin
3) I want to remote control plugins using a control device like the midi fighter twister (https://www.thomann.de/de/dj_techtoo...ster_black.htm). The controller should show the current values of the plugin in the foreground. So there should be some feedback information that reaper sends to the controller.
4)It would be awesome if my tablet could show me the controller mapping of the currently opened plugin. I think about a touch osc layout that shows all 16 encoders with labels below.

If that is possible, could you give me some hints? Is there a better way? Did I miss something?

Last edited by Gass n Klang; 10-20-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Gass n Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:58 PM   #2061
mschnell

I feel you are exactly at the right place here, as CSI is intended exactly for such purpose !

Maybe to set all this up with the pre-alpha CSI software might include quite a journey and help by Geoff including the effect that CSI will improve greatly with your help.

Good luck !

Thanks,
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-19-2018 at 04:40 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:04 AM   #2062
Flavio

Quote:

Play 90 5e 7f

Play Play

Clear Geoff. Thanks a lot!
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:58 AM   #2063
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
Hey guys,
I'm thinking about buying some Icon Qcon G2 / EX devices for faders, panning, mute, solo and channel select.
In addition I'd like to be able to remote controll plugins. I wondered if the following is possible:
1) I'd like to use my android tablet with touch osc or lemur to load a new plugin on the selected channel (should work with osc/midi commands)
You can call up the FX browser for the selected track. MPL even made a script to close the FX browser when you're done.

There are actions from the SWS extension with which you can insert FX from a set of 8 slots irrc.

As far as I know you can't do it like the Avid Icon and S5/6 consoles, where you traverse categories and pick the fx, except with the EuCon stuff. Geoff has some of those, so maybe he can help.

There IS the Pro Control app by Avid, that is actually nothing but a EuCon controller. Maybe that'll work for your purpose.

I'd probably use the Slot system, though I'm generally faster with the keyboard.

Quote:
2) I'd like to see the plugins of the selected channel on my android tablet and want to be able to open the gui of a plugin
There are actions to do that. Track: Open/close UI for FX #1 on last touched track for example.

Opening another slot will close the previous one. Search for close all fx for actions to close everything.

Quote:
3) I want to remote control plugins using a control device like the midi fighter twister (https://www.thomann.de/de/dj_techtoo...ster_black.htm). The controller should show the current values of the plugin in the foreground. So there should be some feedback information that reaper sends to the controller.
I'd be quite interested in that as well. Currently I have per-track midi-learn bindings for my two Midi Fighter Twisters, which have the knobs all set to relative control. Of course that gets me no feedback from the values they control.

That feedback to the knobs would be worth a lot. Cockos missed that boat completely so far.

According to the manual the feedback is done like so:
It is possible to sync the display value of the CC or note to the parameter it is controlling in your software of choice. Simply map the MIDI OUT for that parameter to the same MIDI number on channel 0.
So in an .rst file for the MFT device you have something like
Rotary EncoderFB b0 10 7f b0 10 00
Geoff, this sounds easy, but it looks like this might require a new action type in the .rst. We need to configure a feedback command with the channel of our choice in this case. Is that already possible ?

Here's how the Midi Fighter Twister works when a knob is in relative mode for just one encoder:

Incoming data : b0 00 3f (left turn) or b0 00 41 (right turn)

The value feedback would have to be b0 00 xx

Quote:
4)It would be awesome if my tablet could show me the controller mapping of the currently opened plugin. I think about a touch osc layout that shows all 16 encoders with labels below.

If that is possible, could you give me some hints? Is there a better way? Did I miss something?
OSC is not in the CSI plugin yet. That sounds like a good one for pure feedback, similar to the MCUTimeDisplay command in .rst files.

Last edited by airon; 10-19-2018 at 02:19 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:27 AM   #2064
airon

My first idea for the Midi Fighter Twister is this :
Code:
Rotary01   EncoderFB  b0 00 41  b0 00 3f
Rotary02   EncoderFB  b0 01 41  b0 01 3f
Rotary03   EncoderFB  b0 02 41  b0 02 3f
Rotary04   EncoderFB  b0 03 41  b0 03 3f

Rotary05   EncoderFB  b0 04 41  b0 04 3f
Rotary06   EncoderFB  b0 05 41  b0 05 3f
Rotary07   EncoderFB  b0 06 41  b0 06 3f
Rotary08   EncoderFB  b0 07 41  b0 07 3f

Rotary09   EncoderFB  b0 08 41  b0 08 3f
Rotary10   EncoderFB  b0 09 41  b0 09 3f
Rotary11   EncoderFB  b0 0a 41  b0 0a 3f
Rotary12   EncoderFB  b0 0b 41  b0 0b 3f

Rotary13   EncoderFB  b0 0c 41  b0 0c 3f
Rotary14   EncoderFB  b0 0d 41  b0 0d 3f
Rotary15   EncoderFB  b0 0e 41  b0 0e 3f
Rotary16   EncoderFB  b0 0f 41  b0 0f 3f

I know the MCU rotaries are like this:

But how does that actually work ? Is that MCU rotary a different kind of relative encoder ?

The MFT sends out 3f or 41 as a values as many times as you turn quickly or more slowly.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:38 AM   #2065
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
Hey guys,
In addition I'd like to be able to remote controll plugins. I wondered if the following is possible:

You are in the right place as others have said.

That's EXACTLY what this project is all about, it's just early days, that's all
Old 10-19-2018, 02:51 AM   #2066
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
There are actions from the SWS extension with which you can insert FX from a set of 8 slots irrc.

As far as I know you can't do it like the Avid Icon and S5/6 consoles, where you traverse categories and pick the fx, except with the EuCon stuff. Geoff has some of those, so maybe he can help.
Yeah, that's never been on my high priorities list. It just seems the endless menu divine is better left out -- the mouse and GUI are the way to go on this one, IMHO

Quote:
I'd be quite interested in that as well. Currently I have per-track midi-learn bindings for my two Midi Fighter Twisters, which have the knobs all set to relative control. Of course that gets me no feedback from the values they control.

That feedback to the knobs would be worth a lot. Cockos missed that boat completely so far.

According to the manual the feedback is done like so:
It is possible to sync the display value of the CC or note to the parameter it is controlling in your software of choice. Simply map the MIDI OUT for that parameter to the same MIDI number on channel 0.
So in an .rst file for the MFT device you have something like
Geoff, this sounds easy, but it looks like this might require a new action type in the .rst. We need to configure a feedback command with the channel of our choice in this case. Is that already possible ?

Here's how the Midi Fighter Twister works when a knob is in relative mode for just one encoder:

Incoming data : b0 00 3f (left turn) or b0 00 41 (right turn)

The value feedback would have to be b0 00 xx
Yeah, the encoders usually use 3f and 41, we just set the range 00 - 7f to account for any acceleration added by the surface control, as well as provide the feedback range you describe.

Have you tried an EncoderFB, I believe that should work, if the range is set to 00 - 7f.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:19 AM   #2067
airon

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Just picking the right parameter.... hmm.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:57 AM   #2068
airon

I've got this going :

CSI
Code:
Page Faderport16Mix FollowMCP NoSynchPages NoTrackColoring 75 255 166
MidiSurface FP16A 8 Bankable 3 1 FP16.rst MCU.axt MCU
MidiSurface MFT1 8 Bankable 29 32 MFTrelative.rst MFT_A.axt MCU

RST for MFT :
Code:
Rotary01   EncoderFB  b0 00 7f  b0 00 00
Rotary02   EncoderFB  b0 01 7f  b0 01 00
Rotary03   EncoderFB  b0 02 7f  b0 02 00
Rotary04   EncoderFB  b0 03 7f  b0 03 00
Rotary05   EncoderFB  b0 04 7f  b0 04 00
Rotary06   EncoderFB  b0 05 7f  b0 05 00
Rotary07   EncoderFB  b0 06 7f  b0 06 00
Rotary08   EncoderFB  b0 07 7f  b0 07 00
Rotary09   EncoderFB  b0 08 7f  b0 08 00
Rotary10   EncoderFB  b0 09 7f  b0 09 00
Rotary11   EncoderFB  b0 0a 7f  b0 0a 00
Rotary12   EncoderFB  b0 0b 7f  b0 0b 00
Rotary13   EncoderFB  b0 0c 7f  b0 0c 00
Rotary14   EncoderFB  b0 0d 7f  b0 0d 00
Rotary15   EncoderFB  b0 0e 7f  b0 0e 00
Rotary16   EncoderFB  b0 0f 7f  b0 0f 00

AXT for MFT :
Code:
Rotary01 TrackVolume 0
Rotary02 TrackVolume 1
Rotary03 TrackVolume 2
Rotary04 TrackVolume 3
Rotary05 TrackVolume 4
Rotary06 TrackVolume 5
Rotary07 TrackVolume 6
Rotary08 TrackVolume 7
The MFT Knobs all output data as shown in the previous posts.

So far I've gotten no results. Is the Faderport16, which is working fine for the faders the problem ?

The MFT is having no effects at all. I'm getting no feedback either yet.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:46 AM   #2069
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
I've got this going :

CSI
Code:
MidiSurface MFT1 8 Bankable 29 32 MFTrelative.rst MFT_A.axt MCU

RST for MFT :
Code:
Rotary01   EncoderFB  b0 00 7f  b0 00 00
Rotary02   EncoderFB  b0 01 7f  b0 01 00
Rotary03   EncoderFB  b0 02 7f  b0 02 00
Rotary04   EncoderFB  b0 03 7f  b0 03 00
Rotary05   EncoderFB  b0 04 7f  b0 04 00
Rotary06   EncoderFB  b0 05 7f  b0 05 00
Rotary07   EncoderFB  b0 06 7f  b0 06 00
Rotary08   EncoderFB  b0 07 7f  b0 07 00
Rotary09   EncoderFB  b0 08 7f  b0 08 00
Rotary10   EncoderFB  b0 09 7f  b0 09 00
Rotary11   EncoderFB  b0 0a 7f  b0 0a 00
Rotary12   EncoderFB  b0 0b 7f  b0 0b 00
Rotary13   EncoderFB  b0 0c 7f  b0 0c 00
Rotary14   EncoderFB  b0 0d 7f  b0 0d 00
Rotary15   EncoderFB  b0 0e 7f  b0 0e 00
Rotary16   EncoderFB  b0 0f 7f  b0 0f 00

AXT for MFT :
Code:
Rotary01 TrackVolume 0
Rotary02 TrackVolume 1
Rotary03 TrackVolume 2
Rotary04 TrackVolume 3
Rotary05 TrackVolume 4
Rotary06 TrackVolume 5
Rotary07 TrackVolume 6
Rotary08 TrackVolume 7
The MFT Knobs all output data as shown in the previous posts.

So far I've gotten no results. Is the Faderport16, which is working fine for the faders the problem ?

The MFT is having no effects at all. I'm getting no feedback either yet.
Yeah, the syntax is off a bit.

The easiest way to get bankable TrackVolume controlled by the MFT is:

CSI
Code:
MidiSurface MFT1 16 Bankable 29 32 MFTrelative.rst MFT_A.axt MCU

RST for MFT :
Code:
Channel
Rotary   EncoderFB  b0 00 7f  b0 00 00
ChannelEnd

AXT for MFT :
Code:
Rotary TrackVolume
Old 10-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #2070
airon

Quote:
Yeah, the syntax is off a bit.

The easiest way to get bankable TrackVolume controlled by the MFT is:

CSI
Code:
MidiSurface MFT1 16 Bankable 29 32 MFTrelative.rst MFT_A.axt MCU
RST for MFT :
Code:
Channel
Rotary   EncoderFB  b0 00 7f  b0 00 00
ChannelEnd
AXT for MFT :
Code:
Rotary TrackVolume
That produced some problems.

I could turn the know to the right and thus lower the volume.

Turn left, which is IN -> MFT1 b0 02 41 ,
and the volume instantly jumps to +43.1 dB.

The feedback being sent is OUT -> MFT1 b0 22 0a

which ends up in the void. The right feedback would have been b0 02 midi-normalized-db-value .

So it's not working right just yet.

UPDATE
I updated the CSI plugin to the current version.

Now I'm getting no reaction when turning the knobs. The data is coming in, but there's no track volume change.

Here's what the plugin does on startup :

With no tracks in the session, except for the master which isn't showing on either TCP or MCP, it's OUT-> MFT1 b00 0x 00 with x being 0-f on sixteen messages, one for each knob. So far so good.

WHen I create new tracks, a funny message pops out for every track.

8 tracks created, one after another :
Code:
OUT -> MFT1 b0  20  08 
OUT -> MFT1 b0  21  08 
OUT -> MFT1 b0  22  08 
OUT -> MFT1 b0  23  08 
OUT -> MFT1 b0  24  08 
OUT -> MFT1 b0  25  08 
OUT -> MFT1 b0  26  08 
OUT -> MFT1 b0  27  08
That's weird. The RST and AXT is exactly as you told me to do it. The CSI entry is MidiSurface MFT1 16 Bankable 29 32 MFTrelative.rst MFT_A.axt MCU . I even tested the whole thing without the Faderport 16 entry in the CSI file, but the same stuff happened.

A bug perhaps ?

No feedback messages, no track volume changes and funny outgoing messages on track creation.

Last edited by airon; 10-21-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:16 AM   #2071
airon

Next morning.

Updated Reaper to 5.961 (x64). Replugged the MFT controller. Restarted Reaper. Now I'm getting the same behaviour I got before I updated the CSI extension.

That behaviour of turning right to lower the volume normally, turning left to pin it to +43.1 dB instantly reminds me of choosing the wrong Relative mode for midi-learned controls.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:21 AM   #2072
airon

Geoff, got a question.

The Presonus FP16 and FP8 have a section of buttons above the transport (Channel,Zoom,Scroll,Bank) that is supposed let the user change stuff they select from those buttons with the large encoder.

My first approach would have been to make a page for different function. I figured this might be the only way.

The question.
Can I have multiple surface entries in a page entry in the CSI refer to the same device , and thus have multiple RST(and AXT) files deal with the same device as long as the incoming messages are only assigned by one of the RST files ?

I'd like to have that button section for Channel,Zoom,Scroll, Bank and the Encoder/Buttons above it be handled by its own RST file.

Possible already ? Good idea ?

Different topic.
I've got endless encoders on the Presonus FP16 that send wildly different data than the relative endless knobs on the Midi Fighter Twister.

FP16
Code:
Turn  -> b0 3c XX
left  -> XX = 41 - 7f (slowest to fastest)
right -> XX = 01 - 3f (slowest to fastest)

Midi Fighter Twister
Code:
Turn -> b0 00 XX
left -> XX = 3f
right -> XX = 41
The faster you turn, the more often this message is sent. No value changes.

Are such differences accommodated for yet ? I may have forgotten what all the commands can do.

Last edited by airon; 10-22-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:15 AM   #2073
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Next morning.

Updated Reaper to 5.961 (x64). Replugged the MFT controller. Restarted Reaper. Now I'm getting the same behaviour I got before I updated the CSI extension.

That behaviour of turning right to lower the volume normally, turning left to pin it to +43.1 dB instantly reminds me of choosing the wrong Relative mode for midi-learned controls.
OK, I'll have to dig into the MFT, might need a new Widget type...
Old 10-23-2018, 04:47 AM   #2074
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Geoff, got a question.

The Presonus FP16 and FP8 have a section of buttons above the transport (Channel,Zoom,Scroll,Bank) that is supposed let the user change stuff they select from those buttons with the large encoder.

My first approach would have been to make a page for different function. I figured this might be the only way.

The question.
Can I have multiple surface entries in a page entry in the CSI refer to the same device , and thus have multiple RST(and AXT) files deal with the same device as long as the incoming messages are only assigned by one of the RST files ?

I'd like to have that button section for Channel,Zoom,Scroll, Bank and the Encoder/Buttons above it be handled by its own RST file.

Possible already ? Good idea ?
If I understand what you are saying, we discussed that early on, in fact the .axt file was originally a folder, so that you could have multiple .axt files for a given surface.

However the complexity quickly increased beyond what we thought was reasonable.

That said, could you explain in a bit more detail the use case, there might be a way.

Quote:
Different topic.
I've got endless encoders on the Presonus FP16 that send wildly different data than the relative endless knobs on the Midi Fighter Twister.

FP16
Code:
Turn  -> b0 3c XX
left  -> XX = 41 - 7f (slowest to fastest)
right -> XX = 01 - 3f (slowest to fastest)

Midi Fighter Twister
Code:
Turn -> b0 00 XX
left -> XX = 3f
right -> XX = 41
The faster you turn, the more often this message is sent. No value changes.

Are such differences accommodated for yet ? I may have forgotten what all the commands can do.
Not yet, but have been planned from the start.

There will be a way to add acceleration to the MFT to make it behave like the FP16, as well as reduce/eliminate the acceleration on the FP16 where required.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:45 AM   #2075
mschnell

Quote:
Not yet, but have been planned from the start.
If you are on that track, please do consider the "convert rotary to a pair of buttons" feature, we have been talking about, as well (or is this just the same ? )

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #2076
Damster

Default BCR2000 C4 Style - Almost there!

Ok things are making more sense to me now and I have the BCR2000 working very C4 like ( I will have an actual C4 in the next week or so to compare

A couple points worth mentioning

1. Notepad++ seems to give me proper formatting when making my .rst .axt .fxt files....Both the stock windows notepad and wordpad would give me inconsistent formatting for some reason

2. In the .rst I had to set the BCR encoders to 7bitFaderFB (absolute mode on the BCR itself) to get working feedback as encoderFB seems to offset the input from the output by 10 (e.g. INPUT B0 01 ... OUTPUT B0 11 )

....Is this normal behavior for encoderFB? Is there a way to set the input/output to the same midi address so that we can utilize encoderFB with relative modes on the BCR?

Thanks this is coming along nicely!
Old 10-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #2077
poetnprophet

Quote:
Thank for reminding me, new build is up: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/33037/CSI%20pre%20alpha.zip

That bug is now fixed, I hope
Hi Geoff, looks like that bug is fixed in this one....thanks!!
Old 10-24-2018, 02:42 AM   #2078
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Ok things are making more sense to me now and I have the BCR2000 working very C4 like ( I will have an actual C4 in the next week or so to compare

In the .rst I had to set the BCR encoders to 7bitFaderFB (absolute mode on the BCR itself) to get working feedback as encoderFB seems to offset the input from the output by 10 (e.g. INPUT B0 01 ... OUTPUT B0 11 )

....Is this normal behavior for encoderFB? Is there a way to set the input/output to the same midi address so that we can utilize encoderFB with relative modes on the BCR?

Thanks this is coming along nicely!
Was waiting for the first one of these to show up

It will take a new Midi Widget which requires 4 midi messages, as opposed to the usual 2.

The first 2 will describe the control messages as they do now and the second 2 will describe the feedback messages.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:47 AM   #2079
airon

As soon as that's in, I'd like to make a list of the different commands for the documentation. Finally have a little more breathing room to write some more.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:08 AM   #2080
MixMonkey

Still would really appreciate MapFocussedFX when you get a chance
MixMonkey is online now   Reply With Quote