Old 04-23-2019, 01:24 PM   #1
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Default ReaTriggerItems (kinda sorta Session View)

Everyone wants nonlinear playback in Reaper (well, except The Devs, apparently ). Whenever I see a new request for "Ableton Session View" in Reaper I suggest a different approach...it usually doesn't get much reaction, so I figured I'd try to explain it more fully in its own thread.

Basically I think we could have a makeshift Session View right now without changing too much and without adding an entirely other view. Each item in the project is already listed in the Project Bay and can even be played from there directly!

So in order to mimic Live's non-linear capabilities, we simply need a more robust Project Bay:

1. Assignable MIDI triggers for each media item. Perhaps it would be best if these triggers only worked while this non-linear mode is active, to avoid interfering with normal MIDI behavior.
2. Grid-based smooth seeking (wait for next gridline to start item playback instead of only measures).
3. End of item options (repeat forever, repeat x times, repeat while held, play another item on the track, etc).
4. Realtime playback response to tempo changes (it's currently not especially smooth to change tempo or even playrate on the fly without glitchy sound, so maybe this is too much to ask)...
5. List every item for every track (no more "x instances" in the track or position column). Enforce unique/versioned names for each instance.
6. Allow live recording of triggered instances into the arrange (not actual recording, but merely copying new instances when triggered, at the playback position).
7. Allow for MIDI feedback for clip assignments (so people can use those big button-grid MIDI controllers and see how many clips are on each track and perhaps even what color etc).
8. Being able to record directly into clips is cool too (so an ability to pre-set position and length of new items and trigger item recording directly in the Bay, for immediate loop playback, would be most welcome).

I'm curious for your feedback on this, so plz share your thoughts. I don't use Ableton too extensively, so I surely miss some scope of what Session View can really do, but just these things I've listed here would allow Reaper to be used for live/non-linear clip/item triggering/looping and expand our possibilities considerably.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 04-23-2019 at 01:41 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:37 AM   #2
mschnell

What do you mean by "more robust" ?

If it's not working decently, this would be a bug report.

Otherwise, I suppose scripts should be able to do the trick.

What is bad about the "Playtime" "Session view" -> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=149712, https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/playtime/ ? AFAIK, it is actively supported by the creator and potential bugs will get fixed, maybe relevant improvements might get included.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 04-24-2019 at 01:46 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:37 AM   #3
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
What do you mean by "more robust" ?
More powerful.

It's been a while since I tried Playtime, but it had some major limitations preventing me from integrating it into my workflow. I'll take another look but I think the situation can be improved a lot.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #4
mschnell

Anyway, Improving Playtime seems more viable that starting a completely new implementation for the same purpose.

-Michael
Old 04-24-2019, 03:18 PM   #5
inarisound

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Anyway, Improving Playtime seems more viable that starting a completely new implementation for the same purpose.

-Michael
Hello Michael, it seems like you've been using this tool for quite some time...
I just got the trial version, I have a question, do you know how to readjust loop length after you recorded it?

I can't seem to drag the start and end point of the loop in the Midi Editor because Playtime will reverse it back to it's initial positions...

Have you been able to readjust the loop size after you recorded it with playtime?

Other then that... this tool seems to be very liable, but without me knowing how to do the basic function (aka readjust the length of the loop after recording) it's almost impossible to use it =(
inarisound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:30 PM   #6
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by inarisound View Post
I just got the trial version, I have a question, ...
You would need to contact the author about specific features of his product in the track I mentioned above (and not in the "Reaper Feature Request" forum).
-Michael