Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-13-2019, 09:54 AM   #1
superblonde.org
Human being with feelings

Default Suggest a guitar pick which will significantly change my tone?

I play hard rock on an electric guitar with EMG81/85 pickups with .09 nickel-based strings and would like to experiment with changing my guitar tone by changing to a different pick while playing. My current picks are jazz ii, and chromacast, both are a type of plastic or resin. These sound different from each other but the difference is very subtle, more on the percussive side, on attack, and also very minor hand adjustment since the size, thus grip, is different. Jazz ii is also a much stiffer, harder material. Which picks to try, to give a very different & noticeable tonal change? (dont say switch to the thumb or switch to hybrid style) If there's a change, it should be distinctive in a recording, and to an audience.

Two examples I recall, both EVH and Page Hamilton recorded and performed with metal picks for some time. Listening to recordings though, I'm not sure I would be able to pick out the difference. (pun intended) However I notice when I switch pick types that my expressivity changes, from the grip, so ultimately the difference could be related to that for me.
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #2
EvilDragon

I love these:

https://www.dragonsheartguitarpicks.com/

The sound difference when changing picks is extremely subtle. I'd say it doesn't really matter in practice, but what matters is how the pick feels in your hand when you're playing.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:26 AM   #3
Lokasenna

IMO the material and shape affect how it feels to play more than anything else. I personally can't stand metal picks on wound strings because all I feel is *scrape* *scrape* *scrape*, but on the other hand you've got people like Brian May playing with coins and having a blast.

For affecting the tone, I'd suggest playing with thickness. 1.2mm will sound darker, arguably a little dull, but with a tiny bit more punch, whereas a flimsy 0.4mm will have more attack and "snap", but less bass because you're losing energy when it flexes.

0.8mm Clayton triangles for me - maybe I'm just clumsy, but I find it awkward to get a standard pick into the right position and have it stay there. Three points = it's basically good to go as soon as I pick it up.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:39 AM   #4
toleolu

A friend bought be this gadget that punches out picks, kind of like a hole puncher shaped like a pick. I've played around with all kinds of materials, old credit cards, wood, (I kinda like to wood for my acoustic) etc.

There were subtle tone differences between the different material but to me it came down to playability, how the pick feels and responds. I mostly use commercial picks that have a rough texture where you hold them, just feels better to me.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:47 AM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
A friend bought be this gadget that punches out picks, kind of like a hole puncher shaped like a pick. I've played around with all kinds of materials, old credit cards, wood, (I kinda like to wood for my acoustic) etc.

There were subtle tone differences between the different material but to me it came down to playability, how the pick feels and responds. I mostly use commercial picks that have a rough texture where you hold them, just feels better to me.
I've got one of those. Pep Boys rewards card makes an OK pick, but Fender Heavy is still my favorite.

Last edited by Glennbo; 08-15-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:10 AM   #6
foxAsteria

metal picks sound quite different but imo not good enough to warrant the way they also shred strings. but even the angle of the pick can change the tone.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:14 PM   #7
brainwreck

I never liked metal picks either for reasons already mentioned above.

Never tried wood picks.

Nothing to do with tone really, but my favorite picks are Snarling Dog Brain picks. The f*ckn things just last forever and have a good grip. I have had this one 1.1 mm for years now, and it is still almost as sharp as new. I'll lose it, find it, lose it, find it (it helps that it is orange), playing guitar, acoustic guitar, and bass with it. I have plenty of other picks, but I have developed an affection for this one, just because it is so ridiculous to have the same pick for so long. I call it the Everlasting Gobstopper.

Here: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...91&postcount=1 I have had that pick for 4 years now!

Last edited by brainwreck; 07-13-2019 at 12:23 PM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:17 PM   #8
EvilDragon

Dragon's hearts also last a freaking eternity, it's what I love about them. Not to mention three different edges - each with their own specific usage.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:23 PM   #9
chip mcdonald

The pointy variations of the Jazz III and regular Tortex picks sound different if you're a "fast and articulate" player, plinkier attack sound.

Ultex sounds really different, brighter attack, works for folksy strumming but too raspy IMO for most things.

Heavy stainless has a pingy attack, acts like a compressor.

Picks are cheap....
Old 07-13-2019, 12:28 PM   #10
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Did you see those giant, like stone sized picks the gimmick and hype channels on youtube were pushing?

https://www.purpleplectrums.com/
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:31 PM   #11
foxAsteria

I really like the Ibanez Vai picks even though I can't stand Vai.
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...20pick&index=1

They're just really well balanced and have a good grip while it lasts. But maybe I'll try one of these other fancy ones... I do like the jazz III picks for shredding.

If you just want a different tone, bare fingers will do the trick and some other ones too.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:37 PM   #12
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I really like the Ibanez Vai picks even though I can't stand Vai.
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...20pick&index=1

They're just really well balanced and have a good grip while it lasts.
What do you mean by "while it lasts?" I was thinking about getting a pack to try. My problem is that for some damned reason, my pick has started turning in my hand while I'm picking. I normally maneuver my pick around while playing anyway but lately, I'll start out with the point and by the end of the lick I'm playing on the rounded side. Just a LITTLE irritating...
Old 07-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #13
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
What do you mean by "while it lasts?"
The grip lasts about the as long as the tip, so once it starts slipping, it's time to trash it. A 6 pack lasts me about as many months, but it depends on your picking style.

Def worth trying, imo. It's similar to a yellow dunlop, but a bit sharper tip, which I like, and of course the grip. I used to switch between jazz III for shredding and dunlops for chords, but this one does both pretty well.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 07-13-2019 at 12:57 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #14
grinder

I have been playing many years
All picks I agree have a different sound
The type and brand I find fantastic is the original (I Think) Swedish pick the"Shark Fin" the material I think they are made of is a nylon.
I had a look for some here in NZ recently and could not find any genuine ones.
They have been copied but not in the material the Swedish firm uses.
They do cost but last a long time and for me give a fantastic feel and sound.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:56 PM   #15
davetbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
The pointy variations of the Jazz III and regular Tortex picks sound different if you're a "fast and articulate" player, plinkier attack sound.

Picks are cheap....

Like this guy said, the Tortex sounds different than the smooth nylon, In the jazz iii shape I preferred the feel of nylon on the strings, but the attack was a little softer, so I use the tortex version for a little more tonal bite with high gain. Although I'm really a bass player so take that with a grain of salt
davetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:05 PM   #16
wallace

Use your fingers.
wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:13 PM   #17
superblonde.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Did you see those giant, like stone sized picks the gimmick and hype channels on youtube were pushing?

https://www.purpleplectrums.com/
how does a company offer a guitar pick named 'slash' and 'hetfield' and not get sued for infringement?
Old 07-13-2019, 02:34 PM   #18
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblonde.org View Post
how does a company offer a guitar pick named 'slash' and 'hetfield' and not get sued for infringement?
Because you can't copyright a last name, for one.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #19
superblonde.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Copyright? Hendrix estate initiated legals through trademark. They previously claimed trademark against various unrelated businesses who chose to use the product name hendrix.

edit.

Zappa estate too. here. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/In...ame,11875.html

Last edited by superblonde.org; 07-13-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:21 PM   #20
morgon

I save loads of money on picks as I make them from the missus' credit cards..
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #21
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblonde.org View Post
Copyright? Hendrix estate initiated legals through trademark. They previously claimed trademark against various unrelated businesses who chose to use the product name hendrix.
All I can find are references to a suit against Hendrix's adopted siblings for selling unlicensed merch.

I can't find anything about this beyond a few similar articles just saying that Zappa's estate weren't happy about it, not that they necessarily got as far as legal proceedings.

The idea of copyrighting/trademarking someone's name (as opposed to "Slash" or "Prince") baffles me, but at the same time the Church of Latter-Day Saints have a trademark on "Mormon" in many places even though their book claims that Mormon was a real historical figure.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:54 PM   #22
foxAsteria

Quote:
the Church of Latter-Day Saints have a trademark on "Mormon"
The plot thickens...now why would a non-profit need or be allowed to trademark something?
Old 07-13-2019, 04:00 PM   #23
Glennbo

Quote:
I can't find anything about this beyond a few similar articles just saying that Zappa's estate weren't happy about it, not that they necessarily got as far as legal proceedings.
Dweezel Zappa changed the name of his "Zappa Plays Zappa" tour to the "Cease and Desist" tour, due to siblings who hold the power over the estate.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...nap-story.html
Old 07-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #24
superblonde.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
I save loads of money on picks as I make them from the missus' credit cards..
how is the tone?

(dont say, "sounds like money to me")
Old 07-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #25
vdubreeze

Quote:
That would be a trademark not a copyright. But although you technically can't trademark your name, you can trademark a name as it applies to a certain field or category. And even if you haven't, if you can show, as in the case of a guitar with your name on it that you had nothing to do with, that people will be confused and assume you are endorsing it, and your reputation will be damaged, you can take it to court. You can have a guitar store called Mickey's, or Mantle's, or maybe even Mickey Mantle's, if that's your name. But if you have a store named Mickey Mantle's that was a sport equipment store, Mantle's family would have the right to force you to rename it if they own the trademark as it pertains to anything related to baseball.

I don't know anything about the Hetfield guitar, but it's safe to assume Hetfield owns the trademark on use of the name Hetfield on anything to do with heavy metal music or guitars, things he is associated with by the public. That's not to say he'd ever make them stop or that it would be financially worthwhile to pursue.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:23 PM   #26
Billy M

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
I never liked metal picks either for reasons already mentioned above.

Never tried wood picks.

Nothing to do with tone really, but my favorite picks are Snarling Dog Brain picks. The f*ckn things just last forever and have a good grip. I have had this one 1.1 mm for years now, and it is still almost as sharp as new. I'll lose it, find it, lose it, find it (it helps that it is orange), playing guitar, acoustic guitar, and bass with it. I have plenty of other picks, but I have developed an affection for this one, just because it is so ridiculous to have the same pick for so long. I call it the Everlasting Gobstopper.

Here: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...91&postcount=1 I have had that pick for 4 years now!
I'll second these - LOVE the Snarling Dog Brain picks. I've been using the 0.88 ones
for the last few years. Although they're not going to do much for changing your tone (no pick will do much in that respect) they grip great and just feel good. They also come in a cool metal tin.

Besides trying different pick-ups, amps, cabs, etc., you might try working on your fretting and picking hand techniques to change your tone if you're not happy with it. That will make much more of a difference than changing picks, imo.

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks
Billy M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:46 PM   #27
Goldreap

Quote:

0.8mm Clayton triangles for me ............
Psst...don't tell everyone.....one of my secret weapons.

Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:19 PM   #28
Aeolian

Dunlop 500 series 2mm ... on 9-42 strings.

I like the "swishy" sound of Paul Gilbert's picking in his first REH video, and for that sound I'll try a yellow .73 Tortex every now and again.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:42 PM   #29
Nip

Ibanez Grip Wizard sand grip picks for electric guitar - medium.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_ppa...h_pick_set.htm

The pointier pick, the more treble you get.

How your grip is - hard or loose - matters too.
I still use double adhesive tape on picks - not to loose them so easy which allow regulating grip for tone.

For acoustic I have much more rounded tip like these
https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_whi...pick_set_m.htm
Old 07-14-2019, 07:09 AM   #30
Magicbuss

I rotate the pick and play on one of the fatter rounder sides.

The tone is definitely a bit less bright than playing with the point.

I use .8 or .1 star picks because the hole punched in the center makes them more "grippy"

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Everly/...ks-50-Picks.gc
Magicbuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #31
superblonde.org

Maybe the EMG81/85 makes the pick choice less discernible? Hot, compressed, distorted active pickups.

Maybe single coils would allow the pick's tone to come out more distinctively?
Old 07-14-2019, 11:08 AM   #32
superblonde.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
I don't know anything about the Hetfield guitar, but it's safe to assume Hetfield owns the trademark on use of the name Hetfield on anything to do with heavy metal music or guitars, things he is associated with by the public. That's not to say he'd ever make them stop or that it would be financially worthwhile to pursue.
If that pick company gets a legal action, it will be from Hetfield's management, not the man himself. which is a problem with the industry. Hetfield wouldnt even know anything about it. Hetfield might not even own the rights to his own trademark.. (Well, maybe in metallica's case, they were able to buy some rights back, maybe. Other artists not so lucky or financially loaded) I can imagine that Slash's management company would not be so blaise about letting something like a "slash pick" pass... because doesn't it erode the ability to protect a trademark in the future, if it is not actively protected in any & all occurrences.

Anyway, those picks at that company are ridiculously thick. I guess they are just for decoration? I can't imagine playing with one shaped like that.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:07 AM   #33
kirk1701

Nothing will change your tone or playing except practice. Sorry.

That said, the right instrument and accessories make practice a bit easier, so try everything. You never know what'll click.

In fact I'd even recommend ditching the pitch Knopfler-style. Stick with it till you develop calluses on thumb and first two fingertips. The expression you can get from the flesh alone is surprisingly wide. Painful for a while, but it gets better. If you can drum your fingertips on a table and they clack like nails, you got it.

You probably should analyse your grip and see which artists match. Santana, Zappa, EVH grip (gripped) with the tip of the thumb and flat of the forefingers. DG and EC are the opposite—flat of the thumb, edge of the forefinger.

As for picks/plectra, I went through the Dunlop nylon .73, Matchpicks, bread clips, etc. before settling on Fender celluloids. I like the classic shape in medium, but try them all. My brother happens to like the heavy and they'll do for me in a pinch. We both grip like DG and EC.

The worst thing a pick can do is heat up and soften. I've found celluloid can take the heat and don't soften too badly.

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2019, 11:17 AM   #34
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
Nothing will change your tone
One of these felt picks might!

Old 07-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #35
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I actually have some of those for picking bass - I hardly ever use a pick on bass but sometimes I need somewhere between pick and fingers and I use a felt pick for that.

As far as the topic and my TLDR, what's the real ask or rather why go this route, I'm sort of with kirk1701 on this - not sure what kirk0000 through 1700 think though.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #36
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post

First, thanks for going full internet and yanking my statement out of context. This example should be in a lexicon for "out of context."

That's for a nylon string guitar. If you use a plastic or anything other than the flesh or this foam thing, you end up with Willie's Trigger.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #37
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I actually have some of those for picking bass - I hardly ever use a pick on bass but sometimes I need somewhere between pick and fingers and I use a felt pick for that.
I have a couple of them for bass for the same reasons.

Quote:
As far as the topic and my TLDR, what's the real ask or rather why go this route, I'm sort of with kirk1701 on this - not sure what kirk0000 through 1700 think though.
Hehe, I have 40+ years of plectrums that guitar players have left at my studio for me to pick from (pun intended), but the plastic box of plain old white Fender Heavy picks I bought about 15 years ago (and down to only a couple remaining) are about the only ones I really ever use, whether it's on guitar, bass, banjo, mandolin, Etc.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #38
grinder

Although I would use an original shark fin if I could purchase them in NZ for
probably fast passages I do normally use my fingers for guitar and also Bass.
The tone with plastic picks just does not fill me with the right emotions.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:54 AM   #39
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
That's for a nylon string guitar.
That is a BASS pick. Which is <drumroll>

Quote:
"out of context."
Old 07-15-2019, 12:02 PM   #40
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
Although I would use an original shark fin if I could purchase them in NZ for
probably fast passages I do normally use my fingers for guitar and also Bass.
The tone with plastic picks just does not fill me with the right emotions.
When I want a different sound, I buy a new guitar. That's how I ended up with 6 guitars, a banjo, a mandolin and 2 basses.

None of them sound alike and I selected them specifically for the uniqueness. 6-String Semi-Hollow with a wound G sounds nothing like the Fender American Strat, neither of which sound like the Gibson L6S, or 12-String Semi Hollow Electric, and so on. Each one has a distinctive voice, but cost a bit more than a new pick.