Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-21-2019, 10:10 AM   #321
citizenkeith
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Maybe, I can revamp what those tweaks would be but since I don't use FIPM, I'd have to pull it up and use it to remind myself of what they were.
I would appreciate that, and I'm sure many others would too. During the course of this thread, I have been spending a lot of time in the Reaper Sandbox, testing suggested techniques, trying to piece together vague recommendations made by some posters and making sure I have my terminology on point.

Perhaps we can collectively create a tutorial that would give Reaper users some options with the take system.
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:35 AM   #322
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
I would appreciate that, and I'm sure many others would too. During the course of this thread, I have been spending a lot of time in the Reaper Sandbox, testing suggested techniques, trying to piece together vague recommendations made by some posters and making sure I have my terminology on point.

Perhaps we can collectively create a tutorial that would give Reaper users some options with the take system.
I can give you a gist of it for the moment... It's similar to cubendo at least when I used it years back Their takes were very similar to FIPM but there were a couple differences:

1. A take always stays in it's lane.
2. With multiple takes, the only one that is audible is the one that is visible from the bottom looking up.

For #2 see below. Hopefully it makes sense, when "looking up" from the bottom, whichever take is exposed (with nothing under it) is the one that plays. We can also fade, resize, snip, clip, move to our heart's desire and things like splitting and resizing etc. are how we expose, hide which parts of which takes are audible. And obviously, splits are take independent.

So below, blue is audible first during playback, then purple, then green, then pink, then purple, then green, then blue, then pink, then green.

I'm far more used to and like the current reaper splits at this juncture but... the above is a pretty slick workflow that removes split containers from the picture entirely. What I don't have time to share right now (I'm at work) is the few caveats that prevent FIPM from working this way, one of them is that by default FIPM plays all takes regardless so that's the first feature addition needed.

There are a couple others though that I'm forgetting (and not sure how it would handle comps) - that said, it at least seems this could possibly solve a lot of complaints AND be less work for the devs because it's already close aka building on what we have vs tearing down and rebuilding things. YMMV.

Now something we lose with the above, is item FX covering all takes - another reason I YMMV like the existing container/split/take system.

Last edited by karbomusic; 08-21-2019 at 10:45 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:01 AM   #323
citizenkeith

Quote:
What I don't have time to share right now (I'm at work) is the few caveats that prevent FIPM from working this way, one of them is that by default FIPM plays all takes regardless so that's the first feature addition needed.
Yes, I suppose this is one way to get closer to what ferropop suggested with "Zones." FIPM (Free Item Positioning Mode, for those who are confused by this acronym) would get us in the ball park, IMO. But yeah, all takes play at once, so that's an issue.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:15 AM   #324
karbomusic

Quote:
Yes, I suppose this is one way to get closer to what ferropop suggested with "Zones." FIPM (Free Item Positioning Mode, for those who are confused by this acronym) would get us in the ball park, IMO. But yeah, all takes play at once, so that's an issue.
Honestly, I never really understood the value of them being takes and all playing at once. I suppose there is a use case but seems like there is a much larger use case for them not to all play at once. Having to manually mute instead of some automatic method like I mentioned above does is not efficient at all.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:20 AM   #325
JamesPeters

If you view vertical stacks of items in FIPM as "takes" then it makes sense for them to only play one at a time. But if you consider that you might want to align various items in ways where some overlap (and you want them to be heard), I guess FIPM has some advantage in that regard.

I'd much prefer if it had a lane-priority system similar to the example from Cubendo mentioned a few posts ago. Or yeah, use FIPM with "zones".
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #326
citizenkeith

Quote:
Honestly, I never really understood the value of them being takes and all playing at once. I suppose there is a use case but seems like there is a much larger use case for them not to all play at once. Having to manually mute instead of some automatic method like I mentioned above does is not efficient at all.
Yeah, I don't know how it's useful for them to play at once. I thought it was a bug.

There would need to be some additional tweaks to get this to work for punch-ins.

It's funny... there are all these options with takes and tracks, but none of them quite nail it.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #327
karbomusic

Yea, I thought it was a little odd too. But the containers/splits pretty much nail it for me (like you guys didn't already know that). I could find one or two small gripes but I won't remember until I hit one - it's fairly minor though. I also have non-default settings that make it work for me but those aren't related to most people's complaints.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:45 AM   #328
ferropop

Ok I did a bunch of work...here's how I see it:

===

===

===

===

===

===

===

===

===

Last edited by ferropop; 08-22-2019 at 03:32 PM.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:52 PM   #329
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Ok I did a bunch of work...
No reply in over 24 hours. I think you silenced the critics.

Nice work. As I said earlier, this would be a great addition to Free Item Positioning Mode. I hope Cockos takes look at this proposal!
Old 08-23-2019, 01:59 PM   #330
karbomusic

I 'usually' don't chime in except for things that are inaccurate, misrepresented or misunderstood which obviously isn't always the case. I would add though, that for anything we think up as improving FIPM, there should be some mindfulness and priority on how difficult various ideas would be to implement - just a warning, it's almost always more involved than it looks on the surface (coming from a veteran programmer).
Old 08-23-2019, 02:16 PM   #331
Eddy

Changing FIPM so that overlapping items dont play would be a problem for me - having overlapping items all play is the whole point of FIPM as I use it.
Fixing takes within their own system would be great - but I would not want to see another system (FIPM) sacrificed to do that
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:29 PM   #332
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Changing FIPM so that overlapping items dont play would be a problem for me - having overlapping items all play is the whole point of FIPM as I use it.
Fixing takes within their own system would be great - but I would not want to see another system (FIPM) sacrificed to do that
Contanierized takes have a setting to play all or play active, FIPM needs a setting to play all or play active in some form, that's the simpler more reasonable path, such as a different "FIPM mode".

Containerized takes aren't broken btw, they just aren't for everyone.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:44 PM   #333
Eddy

Quote:
Contanierized takes have a setting to play all or play active, FIPM needs a setting to play all or play active in some form, that's the simpler more reasonable path, such as a different "FIPM mode".

Containerized takes aren't broken btw, they just aren't for everyone.
that option for FIPM would be good for me too
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:53 PM   #334
ferropop

I don't think it should be connected to FIPM at all, should just be a lanes implementation ala Cubase etc.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:02 PM   #335
ferropop

Quote:
I 'usually' don't chime in except for things that are inaccurate, misrepresented or misunderstood which obviously isn't always the case. I would add though, that for anything we think up as improving FIPM, there should be some mindfulness and priority on how difficult various ideas would be to implement - just a warning, it's almost always more involved than it looks on the surface (coming from a veteran programmer).
Agreed, it's so easy for us to say "they just need to xyz". Also a CompSci grad here haha, so when I proposed all of this I'm being 100% mindful of that, and I went to great lengths to ensure that almost everything here is leveraging existing functionality rather than having to build anything from scratch. The idea of Zone Markers is essentially exactly that of Splits (almost like Virtual Splits), but one that supersedes item-level splits and operates on a layer above them. In every other way they are the same as item splits, and the way active take selection would work in the exact way it currently does. The only "new" thing here would be lanes...but even lanes are just akin to tracks in a folder.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:07 PM   #336
JamesPeters

Quote:
No reply in over 24 hours. I think you silenced the critics.

Nice work. As I said earlier, this would be a great addition to Free Item Positioning Mode.

Quote:
I don't think it should be connected to FIPM at all, should just be a lanes implementation ala Cubase etc.

So Keith, I guess you're a critic.

If someone is strongly opposed to any change, that's one thing. But if someone is asking for clarification or is saying "I don't understand what benefits it brings", why say that "there's pushback" or that "there are critics".

And just because someone hasn't posted anything contrary in 24 hours, that doesn't mean the idea is perfect and should be implemented. I can still foresee potential problems implementing it into Reaper especially if the "things" within the "zones" aren't actually items as Reaper sees them. Reaper's overall system kind of works based on items.

Since the devs aren't chiming in, and I don't see anything like this in the prereleases, there's no indication it or anything like it will happen. The best that can be done is to further elaborate, and also to consider a way to make it work within the boundaries of which Reaper operates (such as the fact items will have to be used within the system somehow).

Quote:
The idea of Zone Markers is essentially exactly that of Splits (almost like Virtual Splits), but one that supersedes item-level splits and operates on a layer above them.
That's the kind of thing I'm talking about, what this sort of thing might mean for the devs to implement. Another layer "above items" might work, or not. But at least it's a place to start. Then the devs can look at the info without having to say anything, and decide if it's worth engaging when they have enough info.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:15 PM   #337
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
So Keith, I guess you're a critic.

If someone is strongly opposed to any change, that's one thing. But if someone is asking for clarification or is saying "I don't understand what benefits it brings", why say that "there's pushback" or that "there are critics".

And just because someone hasn't posted anything contrary in 24 hours, that doesn't mean the idea is perfect and should be implemented. I can still foresee potential problems implementing it into Reaper especially if the "things" within the "zones" aren't actually items as Reaper sees them. Reaper's overall system kind of works based on items.

Since the devs aren't chiming in, and I don't see anything like this in the prereleases, there's no indication it or anything like it will happen. The best that can be done is to further elaborate, and also to consider a way to make it work within the boundaries of which Reaper operates (such as the fact items will have to be used within the system somehow).

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about, what this sort of thing might mean for the devs to implement. Another layer "above items" might work, or not. But at least it's a place to start. Then the devs can look at the info without having to say anything, and decide if it's worth engaging when they have enough info.
James, in what I proposed an item is an item in every single currently-implemented way with 2 differences:

1. the takes are in lanes ala every other DAW
2. instead of Splits determining the bounds of takes, it's a new thing I'm calling Zone Markers.

I think that's as clear and simple as it can get. Everything works the same with those 2 exceptions.

I think in the end, all I'm saying is that using Splits as the boundaries for takes is, yes, functional kind-of, but this is better. Splits carries with it so many issues that this resolves.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:22 PM   #338
JamesPeters

Well if you think you've articulated your idea to the best of your ability, including how the devs might implement it, maybe it's time to make a feature request (on the feature requests forum).
Old 08-23-2019, 11:25 PM   #339
maxdis

In my opinion, an overhaul of FIPM would be solve many of Reaper's take system complaint. An essential feature would be an autogroup mode for multimic recordings, especially useful when recording various takes of drums: yes, we can use an SWS action for that, but I think it should be native, because I've found a couple of issues that are very annoying, and both of these could be solved with a dedicated, multitake editing mode in FIPM (basically, Protools style playlists)

Issue #1

I grouped various drums takes across tracks, and if I accidentally mute/unmute one item (using the M button on the label)without selecting it before, only that very item will be muted/unmuted, while the other ones (that are part of the same take) will be not affected. This can cause big problems if I don't notice that right away, especially if I have many takes and tracks.

Issue #2

If I move a grouped item up or down in FIPM , only that very item will be moved. This is annoying, because I'll have to manually move each grouped item if, for example,I want to crossfade them with items from other takes.
maxdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #340
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post

And just because someone hasn't posted anything contrary in 24 hours, that doesn't mean the idea is perfect and should be implemented.
James, that was a joke. Did you see my "wink" emoji?

Of course, I don't equate those people with "critics". That statement was also meant to be a friendly poke at Karbomusic because we've had some constructive arguments.

And OF COURSE I don't think that there's some weird 24 hour rule for implementation!

Carry on...
Old 08-25-2019, 02:13 PM   #341
Thonex

Quote:
Interesting, on more than one occasion (in take based threads) I've mentioned that I think that Justin was ahead of the curve with that idea. I can't say it is perfect, nothing is but I do think there is some chance that many are so mentally accustomed to stacked takes and no splits that it can be incredibly difficult to get that light bulb to go off.

If one searches my posting history back far enough, they'll find very similar complaints from me (because I came from similar DAWs myself), then one day it hit me and I haven't looked back since. If I didn't sincerely and truly feel there is value being missed by some worthwhile percentage of users, I wouldn't be investing time in these threads.

The best advice I can offer is that when asking for improvements in the take system, learn what the moving parts are, their proper terminology etc. then work the suggestions off of that foundation. Far too often I see complaints about takes in containers when the improvement being asked is better served in the takes in lanes feature, or about takes when it is better served speaking about comps, or by adding playlists/track versions which to me is a great addition to, not in place of.
^^ THIS!

Coming from Nuendo, I had an allergic reaction to the Takes system in Reaper. It's confusing if you come from another platform. However, after I decided to digest the Takes (and combine with Lanes View and also toggle with Options: New recording creates new media items in separate lanes (layers) (just because you recorded with Takes doesn't mean you can't use the separate lanes feature to glean info about x-fades etc).

I think I have it down now where I may be editing faster after a couple days of digesting Reaper's Takes system than I had with years of Cubase experience.

But yeah... it can be a hard pill to swallow and let go of years of doing things a certain way.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:29 PM   #342
mschnell

Many thanks for pointing out that the thread title is just a pile of .... prejudice.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:54 PM   #343
Kenny Gioia

OK. I'm not going to lie. I haven't read everything and I have no plans to but I have a few questions based on skimming thru.

From what I can see (and I've mentioned this before) the issue is NOT with the takes system. But it's that many people don't want takes. They want playlists.

IOW - Takes are based on Items. Items are containers of a specific size. So it's a bit clunky to work with multiple performances that are forced to be in these limited containers.

So my solution (not that I have a vote) is to create Playlists in addition to Takes. Not instead of. So that takes work exactly as they do now. Leaving no one unhappy who likes the current system and have found their own workarounds.

Playlists can be based on Tracks. NOT Items. So the size of a container is removed from the situation. Every playlist can have it's own lane and they can all have multiple items that all vary in size.

Basically, it's like having multiple tracks all assigned to one track where only one of them plays at a time. They all can have varying Item FX but they all share the same Track FX and track automation etc.

So the question I have for the group is - Would this satisfy everyone?
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:04 PM   #344
Mr. Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
OK. I'm not going to lie. I haven't read everything and I have no plans to but I have a few questions based on skimming thru.

From what I can see (and I've mentioned this before) the issue is NOT with the takes system. But it's that many people don't want takes. They want playlists.

IOW - Takes are based on Items. Items are containers of a specific size. So it's a bit clunky to work with multiple performances that are forced to be in these limited containers.

So my solution (not that I have a vote) is to create Playlists in addition to Takes. Not instead of. So that takes work exactly as they do now. Leaving no one unhappy who likes the current system and have found their own workarounds.

Playlists can be based on Tracks. NOT Items. So the size of a container is removed from the situation. Every playlist can have it's own lane and they can all have multiple items that all vary in size.

Basically, it's like having multiple tracks all assigned to one track where only one of them plays at a time. They all can have varying Item FX but they all share the same Track FX and track automation etc.

Yes.

And I read that whole thing with your voice in my head.

:-)
Mr. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:07 PM   #345
ferropop

Quote:

Kenny take a look at my post though -- it gives us the strengths of Both! Immediate and easy take selection for quick comps (Reaper's take system), and the independence-and-not-destroying-the-cohesiveness-of-your-takes of Playlists.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:49 PM   #346
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thonex View Post
it can be a hard pill to swallow and let go of years of doing things a certain way.
But you are assuming (like Karbomusic and others) that people don't like the take system because they are used to a different system.

I'm used to REAPER's take system. I've been using it for at least 8 years. And I still think it can be better.

Contrary to the thread title (and some of the discussion here), I don't think Reaper's take system sucks. I do think that it can be made more efficient and easier to use during a tracking session.

So can we dispense with "muscle memory" and "it's confusing if you come from another platform" arguments? While some people say "give us PT playlists" or "Logic does it this way", the majority of discussion in this thread has been on how to make the system better, not how to make it like other DAWs.

Last edited by citizenkeith; 08-25-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:06 PM   #347
klong

I find Reaper's take system is totally fine as long as I follow a few guidelines for myself:

1. Don't even bother with 'show takes in lanes'. Just know your takes are stacked on top of each other in the track, and don't expand them. You just get into a mess by looking at them all.

2. Use keystrokes to split and comp takes. All you really need are 'S' for split, 'T' for next take, and 'Shift+T' for previous take.

3. For multi track instruments like drums, before you start comping highlight all the media items and press G to group them all together.
Then your splits, fades, and take selections will be the same across all channels/tracks.

4. Get handy with mouse with changing crossfade points and crossfade types, though this isn't even usually necessary for vocals .

Last edited by klong; 08-25-2019 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Edit: I'm not saying it couldnt be better though. You can really get yourself in a mess, more than you should be able to
klong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:17 PM   #348
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by klong View Post
I find Reaper's take system is totally fine as long as I follow a few guidelines for myself:

1. Don't even bother with 'show takes in lanes'. Just know your takes are stacked on top of each other in the track, and don't expand them. You just get into a mess by looking at them all.

2. Use keystrokes to split and comp takes. All you really need are 'S' for split, 'T' for next take, and 'Shift+T' for previous take.

3. For multi track instruments like drums, before you start comping highlight all the media items and press G to group them all together.
Then your splits, fades, and take selections will be the same across all channels/tracks.

4. Get handy with mouse with changing crossfade points and crossfade types, though this isn't even usually necessary for vocals .
That's pretty much my workflow too.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:55 PM   #349
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by klong View Post
I find Reaper's take system is totally fine as long as I follow a few guidelines for myself ...
Saving this to re-read before I next time might be in a situation to use takes.
-Michael
Old 08-25-2019, 10:26 PM   #350
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
-Michael
It's great, it just has a few quirks that I highlight above and could be improved to a point of making it the best comping system out of any DAW>
Old 08-26-2019, 07:33 AM   #351
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
-Michael
Hi Michael,

How often you use takes? I'm interested in hearing about everybody's work habits and work flow. For instance, just about every session I have with clients requires me to use the take system, so it's nearly a daily occurrence.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:00 AM   #352
karbomusic

^Pretty much all the time. The last major project I did was about 90 tracks - drums were 12 tracks (12 mics), 12 songs and probably 10 takes per song with punchins etc for just drums/bass. First up was slip edits/comps et al for drums on all 12 songs.

Then we did overdubs with anywhere from 3-50 takes per track. Usually lower take counts than 50 LOL but always takes and punchins everywhere. I probably have a screenshot of that project somewhere.

Last edited by karbomusic; 08-26-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:05 AM   #353
karbomusic

Here's a one-track GIF from the project, I made it (for this thread) to demonstrate how terrible expanded takes are and the value of collapsed, since they were collapsed when I did them, I had no problems whatsoever working with this track and these hundreds of items/splits, it was literally easy- what is this track? One of my guitar solos, it's a long outro and I had not come up with anything to play, so I just noodled for an hour randomly dropping punches here and there with zero regard to splits or where recording started.

Usually, I'd never need that many but here I specifically wanted to go crazy comping. Note this is a single track...

Last edited by karbomusic; 08-26-2019 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:13 AM   #354
karbomusic

If you are interested in the details that ^project aka more than bedroom stuff see here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ight=God+Candy
Old 08-26-2019, 08:16 AM   #355
citizenkeith

Quote:
If you are interested in the details that ^project aka more than bedroom stuff see here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ight=God+Candy
Thanks for the GIF and link to your forum post. Yup, not bedroom stuff! I may have to share some pictures of my next full band session at the studio, though I mainly have smaller sessions booked this week.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:16 AM   #356
karbomusic

Quote:
Thanks for the GIF and link to your forum post. Yup, not bedroom stuff! I may have to share some pictures of my next full band session at the studio, though I mainly have smaller sessions booked this week.
By all means, love sharing with people here!
Old 08-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #357
mschnell

Quote:
Hi Michael,
How often you use takes?
I used them exactly once (as described in a massage above).
This kind of work is not what I like to do. I use Reaper for Live playing (as an instrument) and for live recording full bands. (And I of course don't use any other DAW, ever.)

-Michael
Old 08-26-2019, 12:24 PM   #358
mlprod

Yes indeed.

Quote:

Old 08-26-2019, 05:48 PM   #359
Tone Ranger

Quote:

YES PLEASE!!

This would open up the possibilities for people to work the way they prefer (which is what I believe we all love about Reaper and it's customizability) instead of being forced into one work flow that doesn't fit all. I think there has been enough debate about this to warrant introducing playlists, while keeping the takes system for those who prefer it (or work with a hybrid of both, which could be very interesting).

If this is possible from a technical standpoint, it would literally appease everyone. If playlists do become an option, please add the ability to include a track's items when grouping tracks!! ��

Last edited by Tone Ranger; 08-26-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Tone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:19 PM   #360
USR

Quote:
Yes! I actually prefer REAPER's take system to the PT-style playlist, if I have to choose from either of the two. But the combination of those together would be amazing.
USR is offline   Reply With Quote