Old 09-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #121
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

But it is chill, dude! Lol, those samples cracked me up. Nice work dude! I can tell you had some fun.

Can't get enough, huh? Ok, I'll sign you up again.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:50 PM   #122
morgon

The 9.4.19 thing threw me off a bit as Im more accustomed to 4.9.19

Nsvertheless I will post this track within one day from now, cheers.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:50 PM   #123
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady View Post
https://clyp.it/wquxmplb?token=bfeb0...d8228831e90232

wow was almost worse than highschool. sign me up for oct 4th :0
Ol dub with wubs. Wub reggae! Nice.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:30 AM   #124
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
The 9.4.19 thing threw me off a bit as Im more accustomed to 4.9.19

Nsvertheless I will post this track within one day from now, cheers.
Cool cool. Yea I forgot about that business. I'll start writing the month name instead.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:13 PM   #125
foxAsteria

I'm a little over the line...but at least I didn't give up this time...

https://soundcloud.com/poofox/devils-bicycle-2019
Old 09-05-2019, 10:46 PM   #126
morgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post

Sounds like a really cool song but with a vocal yet to come, just my 2c.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:58 PM   #127
foxAsteria

Thanks, yea I hear vocals as well. Couldn't pull em off though.

Where's yours, btw, morgon?
Old 09-06-2019, 12:32 AM   #128
morgon

Quote:
Thanks, yea I hear vocals as well. Couldn't pull em off though.

Where's yours, btw, morgon?
Not far away, though it might be better by the ninth than it is right now..
Old 09-06-2019, 12:41 AM   #129
foxAsteria

Up to you man. No pressure. I just thought it was a classic procrastinator excuse.

Once, after being late to class everyday due to my procrastinasty habits, I made an effort to show up 15 minutes early and I was so proud of myself for a moment, but then shocked to find everyone there already... Turned out I was actually 45 minutes late because of daylight savings... *facepalm* Teacher didn't like my excuse.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:33 AM   #130
Burnsjethro

FoxAsteria, not my kind of music I have to confess but I really appreciate your artistry.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:39 AM   #131
zeekat

Quote:

That sounds killer, kinda art punk. Did you track the drums with acoustic kit?
Old 09-06-2019, 06:19 AM   #132
morgon

Well, let's say this is version #1 finished at least..

It's probably too scrappy and in need of remix but..

[link removed]

Last edited by morgon; 09-07-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #133
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
That sounds killer, kinda art punk. Did you track the drums with acoustic kit?
Art punk, I like that. Yea it's all real instruments. Well except the amp sims and the one mellotron. Thx dude!
Old 09-06-2019, 09:53 AM   #134
zeekat

We non drum playing home recordists are really missing out, everything gets instantly more headbangable.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:43 AM   #135
foxAsteria

Haha, well to be fair it's taken me at least a decade to get my drum recordings (or more accurately, my drum playing) to an acceptable level. Stage curtains in the recording room helped immensely.

Feels good to get back to my headbanging roots though. Been too long...

Last edited by foxAsteria; 09-06-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:49 PM   #136
foxAsteria

OK well I'll definitely do another one this month. One song a month isn't even a great average, but it's better than I've been doing, since I have such a hard time finishing anything.

At that rate I stand a good chance to finish most of the songs I've started by the time I die at age 173.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:02 PM   #137
foxAsteria

@morgon - funky tune dude. The guitar tones are cool and everything seems pretty locked in, but the drums are really wonky. Idk if the swing thing is quite working and they are badly out of time, which is very distracting. Are you done or still working on it?

How are you going about doing those? Lemme know if I'm being too critical, but I notice that in many of your tracks; that the drums are kinda sabotaging the rhythm, as if they've been half quantized to the wrong gridlines.

Also, do you buss the drums and compress the buss at all? I find that's often more important to the overall sound of the drums than dialing in each drum track, which can always be done later to improve it even more.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:52 AM   #138
morgon

Quote:
@morgon - funky tune dude.
Thanks
Quote:
The guitar tones are cool and everything seems pretty locked in, but the drums are really wonky. Idk if the swing thing is quite working and they are badly out of time, which is very distracting. Are you done or still working on it?
There's a few places where the drums are really out, most of the drumtrack is okay though I think, I just listened to the isolated bass and drums and yeah I badly missed some copy paste adjustments, some timing conversion on fills etc. It's funny how I when I get a bit tired of a track that I miss picking up what is glaringly obvious to a new listener, bc I'm not really listening to the track anymore. I mean if I come back a week later, any error really stands out. Psychoacoustics or something. I swear that on the first record I made there's an entire half of a drumtrack with no hi hats, a completely unintentional oversight!

Anyways that's why the track isn't public on Soundcloud, I always need at least a few days away then another critical listen esp after juggling arrangements around etc.
Quote:

How are you going about doing those? Lemme know if I'm being too critical, but I notice that in many of your tracks; that the drums are kinda sabotaging the rhythm, as if they've been half quantized to the wrong gridlines.
It's to do with a combination of freetime and swingbeat, if I start with e.g gtr + vocal only and build from there then I need to be careful not to duplicate timing errors that have resulted from the original tracks laid down when I barely knew the song.
Quote:
Also, do you buss the drums and compress the buss at all? I find that's often more important to the overall sound of the drums than dialing in each drum track, which can always be done later to improve it even more.
Oh okay, thanks for the tip, just had a look and no drum buss, only individual tracks routed from a midi track, so I'll assign them to a buss and see what I can do, cheers.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:14 PM   #139
shady

Quote:
the guitars feel rad, at both quiet and loud volumes. did you record them whilst listening to the amp sim live?
Old 09-18-2019, 11:48 PM   #140
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady View Post
did you record them whilst listening to the amp sim live?
Thanks, yea that's what I usually do. But then I changed the tones somewhat afterward. I'm pretty sure I changed the amp and speaker sim on most of the tracks. I played along to a single mic recording from 20 years ago to keep the feel and then added bass and drums.

When I started to mix the guitars weren't sounding very good. I'd recorded them a couple years ago and I think some of the impulses had gone missing. I'd bought some new sims since then that I thought would work better anyway, so I spent some time dialing em in long after I finished the recordings.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:49 PM   #141
foxAsteria

Ooops...looks like jonova missed the date...
Old 09-19-2019, 05:48 AM   #142
zeekat

Ok I need some motivation. Can't bring myself to go past the aimless noodling phase to properly break in my new-old guitar. Mark me for another one, I'll try to make something coherent and put it on youtube.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:00 AM   #143
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
Great idea. I'm at the mixing stage of my last project but I can't stop trying out production tricks so it's taking forever.

Not yet ready to commit to a one month deadline though, as I'm currently in the middel of moving house, so my time in the studio is pretty limited momentarily. But that should clear in another week or so. I'll report back after that to accept the challenge.
OK, so moving house is done (mostly, still sifting to stuff to store or throw away). So put me down for a month from now to finish my track 'The Final Wave'. Stuff to be done: editing vocals, vocals sound tweaks, guitars sound tweaks, revisit bass sound, final mixing. Should be doable in a month
Old 09-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #144
foxAsteria

Ok I put you guys on the list.

@Morgon - why you remove link, yo? I hope I didn't drive you away with my critical nature...sorry bout that. Hope I didn't hurt your feelings.

Good news is we seem to be increasing our success to failure ratio here. Let's all become procrastiMasters!

Last edited by foxAsteria; 09-19-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #145
morgon

Quote:
Ok I put you guys on the list.

@Morgon - why you remove link, yo? I hope I didn't drive you away with my critical nature...sorry bout that. Hope I didn't hurt your feelings.
I only removed it with the intention of replacing it with an updated version, the drums of the last 20 secs and some fills mainly were in need of fixing. Meanwhile dun..dun dun..dun I realised the gtr I use for recording has significant intonation issues and is out of service pending full fret job/truss and bridge adjustment. It wasn't real obvious on the track I posted but I've had to redo tracks on other songs with a second gtr. So I got a bit distracted but I'll repost it soon, already fixed most of the oinks in it several days back, now I'll have a fresh listen to make sure it's okay then repost it.

Quote:
Good news is we seem to be increasing our success to failure ratio here. Let's all become procrastiMasters!
Yep, I figure even the attempt to make the due date helps forward the process, took me half a dozen attempts to stop smoking years ago, iow five failures was the recipe for success.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #146
foxAsteria

Quote:
Yep, I figure even the attempt to make the due date helps forward the process, took me half a dozen attempts to stop smoking years ago, iow five failures was the recipe for success.
Heheh, yea. How did it stick tho? My brother about to start his 40th attempt even though he can only remember the last 3...

And get me that mix, yungun, or yer outta the club! I should start an endless excuses club though. I could really set an example.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:25 PM   #147
jelloman

I need a new project...I've been just knocking around aimlessly...

...I'll let you know what and when as soon as I extract my cranial region from an anatomically uncomfortable place...
Old 09-19-2019, 07:19 PM   #148
morgon

Quote:
Heheh, yea. How did it stick tho? My brother about to start his 40th attempt even though he can only remember the last 3...
One rule I set for myself was to not smoke at home, but failing that then certainly not inside the house. So failing at the first step still left some disincentives at times like it might be raining, too hot/cold outside etc. That helped to cut down generally.

So I more or less became a "social smoker" meaning mainly with friends when out somewhere or at some party or gig or whatever which was quite often esp back then. Then I stopped buying packs of cigarettes and instead bought them individually from friends or whoever at those social gatherings, i.e when I was at the point of least resistance.

Which meant I went home without any cigarettes to feed the addiction the following day. I got that cycle to stick, and now I might have a few cigarettes at those times but usually not and I haven't bought a pack in probably the last 15 years or so.
Quote:
And get me that mix, yungun, or yer outta the club! I should start an endless excuses club though. I could really set an example.
That mix is coming, working on it now, always good to run bass n drums solo'd for a check, there's some major improvement in the basslines as well, cheers fox, I intend to continue support for this thread, I work alone [other than collabs] on my song projects and I find it motivational, I put in quite a session or three immediately before posting that last version, which left quite some more to do but really advanced the project.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:47 PM   #149
foxAsteria

Quote:
One rule I set for myself was to not smoke at home
Damn I would love if he'd make such a rule. Instead I live with 3 indoor chain smokers. Idk what's worse, the cigarettes or the nauseating "air freshener" they try to cover it up with.

It's a disgusting habit, but I still can't resist bumming a cig or three whenever I'm drinking. Just fucking hate it in the house. Waking up to that shit. Taking a shower to that shit. Winter is going to suck.

@ jelloman - let us know when you do. but maybe take a shower first.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:35 AM   #150
morgon

Quote:
Damn I would love if he'd make such a rule. Instead I live with 3 indoor chain smokers. Idk what's worse, the cigarettes or the nauseating "air freshener" they try to cover it up with.

It's a disgusting habit, but I still can't resist bumming a cig or three whenever I'm drinking. Just fucking hate it in the house. Waking up to that shit. Taking a shower to that shit. Winter is going to suck.
Vaping seems to work for most of the ex-smokers I know, inc my 50 something bro in law who's been a lifelong smoker since his mid teens.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #151
zeekat

From my observation of the most consummate smokers, e-cigs are just a phase after which they're quickly back to regular cigarettes, some people can't function without their daily tar.

Sketch version of a track is ready, now - retracking and youtubing. Feeling a bit lost trying bend lipstick pickups to only style I can play. Wiry as shit, it's like mouse coughing in your Hi-z input. I'll have a track with misplaced cowboy/surf tones. Sad psychedelic surfing cowboys.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:57 PM   #152
shady

I am so far from completing a song in the next 9 days, but I just came back from a practice studio and had a good time screaming
Old 09-26-2019, 04:42 PM   #153
Podge

Default unfinished project

been working on this about a week lets see if i can finish it within a month.

https://soundcloud.com/paudie-murphy...inning/s-aUvFc

Last edited by Podge; 09-26-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:02 PM   #154
foxAsteria

You're on the list Podgy. If you want my advice, it's a the perfect stage for a whole lot of noodling.

What I would do is spend a week or even just a night or two experimenting with layers. Once it's a total cacophony, filled to the brim you can start mixing and chiselling away all the crap.

In the end you'll be left with only your best ideas and you'll know they're the best because you took out everything that wasn't as good.

Good luck!
Old 10-01-2019, 02:32 AM   #155
zeekat

Currently trying to perfect the workable guitar line, one that fits reasonably and which I'm able to play. Which traditionally means I'm listening everything back to back (and trying playing to it) waaaay too many times. I hate this part of the process. It's good amp sims were invented, otherwise I'd be thrown out of my apartment long before the 100th playthrough attempt.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:54 AM   #156
foxAsteria

I quite like that part of the process. I'm not very good at my instruments either so it's at least 50 takes for everything. 200 for vocals. It's kind of meditative.

Anyways it's good practice and gets me better at playing. Funny thing is I usually end up using one of the first few takes and just splicing in sections of the later stuff to fix mistakes.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:35 PM   #157
Burnsjethro

Quote:
I quite like that part of the process. I'm not very good at my instruments either so it's at least 50 takes for everything. 200 for vocals. It's kind of meditative.

Anyways it's good practice and gets me better at playing. Funny thing is I usually end up using one of the first few takes and just splicing in sections of the later stuff to fix mistakes.

Interesting thoughts. Do you do the takes within a short period of time?

I don't think I would have the courage to wade through so many takes.
I used to suffer from what I call "blank page syndrome", like when you receive a brand-new exercise book at school and you are reluctant to sully its pristine condition.

So it used to take me ages to get even one take down. And as I am a one-man band, so to speak, it takes me for ever to work out what to play on the different instruments and then a vocal harmony to go with the main vocal.

What I do now is to work on a few tunes at the same time, adding new takes here, deleting items there, generally tinkering about. It helps because I manage to convince myself I am "taking notes" in preparation for the final tune.

Still, as I said above, I couldn't face the prospect of having to do so much comping, as you must do.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:01 PM   #158
foxAsteria

well I'm actually coming up with the parts as I record, so I never go through all the takes, that would be a nightmare. I just keep looping sections, improvising with different ideas until I feel like I have a good part and then I really only go back through the other takes if there are mistakes that can be easily fixed with a nearby take.

I find it's always best (most natural sounding) to avoid comping takes or quantizing/pitch correcting, so I'm looking for the tastiest one with the least mistakes and then I patch from the other takes if necessary. I'll generally do this right away, so I can kinda remember if the best one was toward the start or end of the list.

But sometimes, esp with vocals, the more takes I do the more the feel and tone changes, so I might prefer an earlier take with a fresher feel but more mistakes.

From years of doing it this way (and losing patience with tedium), I can decide in a few seconds if a take is usable so I'm going through them very quickly and stopping when I have a good one, never actually comparing them all. Better to work fast IMO, than to worry about finding the "best take."

I'm also doing this all on my own, so I can simply re-record stuff again to get it right, instead of wading through takes etc. I'd rather spend my time playing music than editing recordings.

With drums though, I have to learn the whole song, because it's really hard to keep consistent cymbals through each section recording only in loops. So often I will heavily edit the rough drum ideas into the arrangement I want and then play along to that until I know the whole thing. It's time consuming but it's gotten me so much better at drums.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:42 AM   #159
Burnsjethro

Thanks for all that information.

I have also tried to loop stuff (repetitive bass patterns, guitar patterns, keyboard patterns,...) but I never seem to get it right.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:36 AM   #160
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsjethro View Post
I have also tried to loop stuff (repetitive bass patterns, guitar patterns, keyboard patterns,...) but I never seem to get it right.
What's the problem? Sometimes I find that the thing I've decided to try and play perfectly doesn't even work very well with the arrangement upon listening back, so I'll record another variation. It helps a lot to listen back from time to time, if only to make sure there are no technical problems with the recording. But maybe give yourself a bit more freedom to experiment and make mistakes...

The point I was trying to make was that even though I do a shit-ton of recording and takes, I only use a small fraction of it. Doing it that way keeps me objective and I don't get attached just because I spent a lot of time. I look at it as practice and I'm mostly recording *just in case* I get something right. I throw most of it away.