Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #1
pepe44
Human being with feelings

Default MOTU Drivers @96KHz win10

Anyone having issues with MOTU ultralite MK3 on windows ?
i have been recently doing some test mixing at 96KHz and i´m really more pleased than i was at 44.1KHz. The fold Back aliasing disappears and makes everthing much more focused in the mix, but, i do use the audio interface to listen spotify , youtube and all audio in the system runs through the MOTU main outs.
When i have reaper open all applications stay at 96KHz but if i close reaper they make windows change it to 88.2KHz. I believe this can be a driver issue but MOTU didn't release any recent drivers for this interfaces since 2015 so i´m just stuck with it till i upgrade my converter.
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:37 PM   #2
drumphil

What is the default format in the windows audio control panel for the motu device that is your default windows audio device?

Does the motu control panel give you a sample rate option? Is it set to something other than 96K?
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:28 AM   #3
pepe44

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post
What is the default format in the windows audio control panel for the motu device that is your default windows audio device?
when i set motu to 96, it show 88 and 96 at the windows sound properties.
i only have it ticked to 96.
When i set windows to use another audio interface, i have the advanced tab with the option that says " allow application to control this device" with MOTU , i dont. that should be ok unticket, but doesnt show up for the MOTU

Quote:
Does the motu control panel give you a sample rate option? Is it set to something other than 96K?
Yes, its set to 96.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:02 AM   #4
pepe44

The big problem is
When i have for example Reaper open and the motu is set to 96K, all the other apps like spotify, youtube and etc they play at 96 no problem.
When i dont have reaper open and the motu is set to 96 , when i try to poay something from spotify or youtube the interface changes automatically to 88 no matter what.
Looks like a driver issue for me. I say this because if reaper is open, the "gate" to all sound is open to allow passing data in 96k format, so reaper is acting has a main door for audio on all the system. Does that make sense ?
I wish MOTU released a better drivers for this interface on windows using USB 2.0.

Its v4.0.6.6814 | Oct. 28, 2015 ( since 2015)
Old 10-05-2019, 04:07 AM   #5
pepe44

Do you think if i buy a PCIe firewire card this will be better ? MOTU recommends specific chipset card , Texas instruments. not easy to find these days i guess.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #6
drumphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe44 View Post
Does it show 96K only when reaper is open? What does it say if you check when reaper is closed? If it shows 88K when reaper is closed, then set it to 96K, and see if it remembers that setting after you open reaper and close it again.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #7
serr

MOTU interfaces respond to sample rate requests. There has to be something sending a sample rate request for 88.2k.

It could very well be that there's a bug in the Windows version of the driver...

There's nothing in the hardware itself that defaults to one sample rate over another or that differentiates between what kind of app makes a sample rate request. (ie. It doesn't only listen to DAW apps but ignore media player apps.)

Do this real quick:
Put the MOTU control panel into view.
Open your OS audio control panel.
Switch the sample rate around a couple times.
Do you see it change on the MOTU control panel following that?

If yes, then it's working and you likely have some rogue app somewhere sending a sample rate request for 88.2k.

aside: Playing a video should generate a sample rate request for 48k in theory. In practice, it stays where you left it and just sample rate converts on the fly. (Or at least that's what lazy core audio does in OSX!)
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:32 AM   #8
pepe44

Quote:
Does it show 96K only when reaper is open? What does it say if you check when reaper is closed? If it shows 88K when reaper is closed, then set it to 96K, and see if it remembers that setting after you open reaper and close it again.
It Show 96 without Reaper Open, or any other DAW that is requesting the service from the motu. If I dont have any device requesting that sample rate windows just changes to 88.2 if any audio playback service is called , browser, spotify, etc.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:34 AM   #9
pepe44

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Do this real quick:
Put the MOTU control panel into view.
Open your OS audio control panel.
Switch the sample rate around a couple times.
Do you see it change on the MOTU control panel following that?

If yes, then it's working and you likely have some rogue app somewhere sending a sample rate request for 88.2k.

aside: Playing a video should generate a sample rate request for 48k in theory. In practice, it stays where you left it and just sample rate converts on the fly. (Or at least that's what lazy core audio does in OSX!)
If i open the MOTU control panel, the device is automatically "disconected" from windows, is like its waiting for the settings change so it loads back again the MOTU. Weird Drivers!
Old 10-06-2019, 10:05 AM   #10
serr

Quote:
If i open the MOTU control panel, the device is automatically "disconected" from windows, is like its waiting for the settings change so it loads back again the MOTU. Weird Drivers!
That's a clue that there is a conflict between the MOTU control panel and the OS audio. When you connect the MOTU, the MOTU control panel opens by default. The MOTU shows up as a connected audio interface in your OS audio control panel app.

At this point, you could select the MOTU as an input and/or output device in the OS control panel. Or... if it was the last selected audio interface for the OS, it should come up still selected from that saved preference.

By 'disconnect', do you mean that when previously selected for system audio - after a reboot or interface power cycle, the device is there but not selected? Or do you mean the interface disappears as a connected audio interface altogether?

If it's the former - disconnected but still available to select...
What happens when you try to force the issue and drive it from the OS audio control panel? Also, what style of control are you using in Reaper? The Reaper control panel? (boxes next to sample rate and block size ticked and values entered) Or your OS control panel? (boxes unticked in Reaper to release control to another app)
Old 10-06-2019, 10:22 AM   #11
pepe44

Quote:
That's a clue that there is a conflict between the MOTU control panel and the OS audio. When you connect the MOTU, the MOTU control panel opens by default. The MOTU shows up as a connected audio interface in your OS audio control panel app.

At this point, you could select the MOTU as an input and/or output device in the OS control panel. Or... if it was the last selected audio interface for the OS, it should come up still selected from that saved preference.

By 'disconnect', do you mean that when previously selected for system audio - after a reboot or interface power cycle, the device is there but not selected? Or do you mean the interface disappears as a connected audio interface altogether?

If it's the former - disconnected but still available to select...
What happens when you try to force the issue and drive it from the OS audio control panel? Also, what style of control are you using in Reaper? The Reaper control panel? (boxes next to sample rate and block size ticked and values entered) Or your OS control panel? (boxes unticked in Reaper to release control to another app)
I just plugged my UMC from behringer that i normally have with me for live gigs and the driver is rock solid, i set it to 96 and everything on windows just goes 96K.
The sound quality compared to MOTU is...shit. lol
Old 10-06-2019, 10:25 AM   #12
pepe44

I ticket the SR and buffer size on Reaper, when it open it goes 96. When playing stuff from the OS goes 88 , no matter what settings i use for the OS or MOTU. i think i´ll have to live with that till i upgrade the audio interface .
I will though try using a PCIe Firewire card. I remember when i used my macbook pro 2009 i used the MOTU with Firewire and never had this kind of problems. Can be the Firewire or the OS tricking on me.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:26 AM   #13
pepe44

i just need to open reaper before i listen anything on the OS side ashahha
Old 10-06-2019, 10:36 AM   #14
serr

I can tell you that if you try to exceed the bandwidth of the data connection for the MOTU, you get a warning in the MOTU control panel window telling you so and to use fewer channels or a lower sample rate.

If that control panel pops up when you connect the MOTU and the unit has its tab in the window, then it's connected and talking. Based on what I'm hearing so far, I would expect changing to a pci firewire card to have no effect.

My previous question though: What happens when you try to force the issue and drive the MOTU from your OS audio control panel?

The Behringer unit may have a feature that tries to automatically drive your OS audio control panel app. That may be all well and good (if a little non-standard IMO). But what happens when you try to take over manually and intentionally? Pick one audio control panel app (either OS or from some DAW). Only have one open and running. Now try to drive the controls on the unit.

I think if you go through everything you'll find the conflict and a way for everything to play together nicely. There may very well be a faux pas or some limitation, but it will be a known thing instead of a mystery.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #15
pepe44

When i plug the MOTU the control panel doesnt come up, i have to open by myself.
When i open MOTU control panel the devices is automatically disconnected from the OS till i make my changes and only when i hit OK and close the control panel the audio interface shows again in the OS.

Regarding your question on driving the MOTU from the OS side there are not many options available. in fact i can only visualize what are the settings used nothing else.

I have this problem for a long time, thats why i got used to the 44.1 , but now i want only to work at 96 for mixing, i dont want 44.1, no more.
I have to buy a new audio interface because MOTU left the customers with "old" interfaces on a endless road. They have new interfaces and they want to sell them.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:49 AM   #16
pepe44

my question is, if i have reaper Open,set to 96, nothing else on the OS side changes the SR. everything stays at 96..can i have something on the startup to force that? something that runs on background?
Old 10-06-2019, 11:28 AM   #17
serr

Quote:
When i plug the MOTU the control panel doesnt come up, i have to open by myself.
OK, that means it's not talking (or it is somewhat but there are still errors).

Quote:
When i open MOTU control panel the devices is automatically disconnected from the OS till i make my changes and only when i hit OK and close the control panel the audio interface shows again in the OS.
Wait... so even though the MOTU control panel doesn't open when the device is connected, you still see it show up in your OS audio control panel as an available interface?

It doesn't open the MOTU control panel itself when connected.
It still has some intermittent communication.
When you force the issue and open the MOTU control panel yourself, the OS audio control panel crashes.

Further, you can experience stable operation connecting with a DAW and using the DAW control panel as long as you don't touch the OS audio control panel.

OK, that all really DOES sound like either a bug in the Windows version of the driver or perhaps Windows troubles in general.
The repeatable bits and the scenarios where you get stable operation pretty strongly rule out hardware failure I think. The firewire port, the cable, or the interface itself. You should experience a disconnection/errors in every scenario if one of those bits of hardware is failing.

Grabbing at stuff here...
For the firewire port to still be the root cause...
Involving the OS audio control panel increases the data just enough that when using HD sample rates it can push you over the edge due to the failure mode being slightly reduced bandwidth in the firewire port.

That still feels like a stretch. I'd expect to see the unit sometimes connect to the control panel. Intermittent stuff. The too much bandwidth error message in the MOTU control panel here and there.

I guess I can't rule out that replacing the firewire bus with a pci expansion might help. Feels like there's another variable somewhere though.
That's as far as my puzzle solving skills are going this morning anyway!
Old 10-06-2019, 11:50 AM   #18
pepe44

Quote:
OK, that means it's not talking (or it is somewhat but there are still errors).

Wait... so even though the MOTU control panel doesn't open when the device is connected, you still see it show up in your OS audio control panel as an available interface?

It doesn't open the MOTU control panel itself when connected.
It still has some intermittent communication.
When you force the issue and open the MOTU control panel yourself, the OS audio control panel crashes.

Further, you can experience stable operation connecting with a DAW and using the DAW control panel as long as you don't touch the OS audio control panel.

OK, that all really DOES sound like either a bug in the Windows version of the driver or perhaps Windows troubles in general.
The repeatable bits and the scenarios where you get stable operation pretty strongly rule out hardware failure I think. The firewire port, the cable, or the interface itself. You should experience a disconnection/errors in every scenario if one of those bits of hardware is failing.

Grabbing at stuff here...
For the firewire port to still be the root cause...
Involving the OS audio control panel increases the data just enough that when using HD sample rates it can push you over the edge due to the failure mode being slightly reduced bandwidth in the firewire port.

That still feels like a stretch. I'd expect to see the unit sometimes connect to the control panel. Intermittent stuff. The too much bandwidth error message in the MOTU control panel here and there.

I guess I can't rule out that replacing the firewire bus with a pci expansion might help. Feels like there's another variable somewhere though.
That's as far as my puzzle solving skills are going this morning anyway!
I´m using a Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, using USB 2.0 on Windows 10 64Bits
Old 10-06-2019, 12:27 PM   #19
pepe44

The procedures i take now is

Open reaper, SR goes to 96;
open spotify
close Reaper
leave spotify open
work on whatever i want , play youtube, play Spotify, go to reaper, go to Studio One...etc

As long there is an audio app mantaining the service open @ 96 KHz stays on. I´ll have to live with this method!
no Problem . until i move on to a new MOTU interface or RME (rock solid drivers )
Old 10-07-2019, 05:52 AM   #20
drumphil

I still want to know what the windows audio control panel says the default format for the motu is when you're not running reaper.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:55 AM   #21
serr

Quote:
The procedures i take now is

Open reaper, SR goes to 96;
open spotify
close Reaper
leave spotify open
work on whatever i want , play youtube, play Spotify, go to reaper, go to Studio One...etc

As long there is an audio app mantaining the service open @ 96 KHz stays on. I´ll have to live with this method!
no Problem . until i move on to a new MOTU interface or RME (rock solid drivers )
The fact that you can have stable operation with the discussed caveats suggests the root cause is software conflict related and not hardware. I was assuming native firewire when I wrote the above but it reads the same way with USB. And my conclusion would be the same.

So, the Windows audio control panel crashes every time you try to open it when the MOTU control panel is open? Is that right?
Or if you try to connect the MOTU when you have the Windows control panel open, the MOTU control panel will refuse to open? (But the MOTU still connects and is an available device.) Still correct?

Get with their tech support. They're either going to tell you that it's normal and the best it gets with Windows or that this isn't SOP and something's wrong. Almost certainly the latter. They've been offering Windows compatible drivers for a time now and they aren't just being read the riot act online... so I'm just gonna assume that.

aside:
The current streaming services like Spotify stream 44.1k sample rate audio. (It's also lossy compressed but the sample rate is still 44.1k.)
So... Spotify app should send a sample rate request of 44.1k (if it does anything - which it probably does not and expects core audio to just convert it on the fly).
You might expect anything video related to be native 48k. I think some of the Youtube videos are but there's plenty of 44.1k audio there too. Again, you'd expect a sample rate request of 44.1k if that even happens with these apps.

Point is that a sample rate request of 88.2k is unlikely to be coming from any of the above. Something else is the root cause and it's related to your core audio settings.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #22
pepe44

I installed voicemeeter Banana and now the system doesnt request nothing from the WDM driver, it passes through the voicemeeter at 96K no problem. SO, i run Reaper using the ASIO driver at 96 and the OS runs the Voicemeeter at 96.
Solved
Old 10-07-2019, 10:46 AM   #23
serr

So you've installed a 3rd party audio service to the OS to use instead of Windows ASIO? Jezus... Alrighty then!

If that's successful, it's another data point that suggests the hardware is fine and the Windows audio control panel app is what was crashing.

Good deal though!
Old 10-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #24
pepe44

Windows doesn't use ASIO, only audio applications, windows uses the WDM by default. ASIO is defined to be used by one application at a time so windows could never use ASIO as it´s default audio engine.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:30 PM   #25
drumphil

Frankly, this is all pretty silly. All you're doing by forcing the audio device to run at 96K, is having everything that doesn't natively output 96K run through some relatively crappy software resampling to get it up to 96K. If you can hear a difference it's most likely the extra distortion that comes from the resampling process.

Modern DAC chips run at much higher internal sample rates anyway, regardless of the sample rate of the audio you send to them.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:19 AM   #26
pepe44

Quote:
Frankly, this is all pretty silly. All you're doing by forcing the audio device to run at 96K, is having everything that doesn't natively output 96K run through some relatively crappy software resampling to get it up to 96K. If you can hear a difference it's most likely the extra distortion that comes from the resampling process.

Modern DAC chips run at much higher internal sample rates anyway, regardless of the sample rate of the audio you send to them.
I dont know how much information you have on the voicemeeter software, but seems like you dont have much. The Program is excelent and does not suck much resources from the computer , all it is doing is "tunneling" the audio from the crappy windows WDM to my MOTU so i can listen everything from the OS and work on reaper without having to change sample rates. It is not resampling, the MOTU is set at 96KHz, its just passing through voicemeeter, that´s all. No distortion, no resampling, no noise, all good! And a plus is that i can route any audio interface connected to the PC to anywhere now. Very happy with this solution.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:06 AM   #27
drumphil

I use voicemeeter daily in radio stations.

Do spotify and youtube even provide 96K audio for your audio interface to be able to operate at that sample rate without upsampling in software? I don't think they do.

and:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil
I still want to know what the windows audio control panel says the default format for the motu is when you're not running reaper.
Without running reaper, or opening the motu control panel, what is the default audio format for the motu device that is your default windows audio device, in the windows audio control panel?

Does it say 96K, or something else?

If my memory serves me correctly it works like this:

If your application doesn't take exclusive control of the audio device, audio output from the app, no matter the sample rate, will be resampled to the rate defined by the default format for the device in the windows audio control panel.

If your application takes exclusive control of the audio device, the audio device will follow whatever format the app outputs, so if spotify supported exclusive mode (and I don't think it does) and is outputting audio at 44.1K, your audio device will run at 44.1K, regardless of what the default format is in the windows audio control panel. If your audio interface really is locked to whatever it says in its own control panel, trying to run in exclusive mode at a different sample rate to that will usually produce an error and fail to play.

If spotify doesn't run in exclusive mode, it's output will be resampled in software from whatever it outputs, probably 44.1K, to whatever the default format is in the windows audio control panel.

Here are some measurements showing how average the results are when you play back audio that is 44.1K or 48K in windows 10 with the default format set to 96K. This may explain why you hear a difference when the interface is forced to run at a higher rate that what the audio playback from the application runs at.

https://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/...dio-stack.html

The ONLY way to listen to 44.1K or 48K audio from applications that don't actually have 96K files in their playback system, with your audio interface running at 96K, is to resample in software.

If you really really want to listen to 44.1K or 48K content, with your interface running at 96K, to avoid the crappy windows resampling algorith, the best way would be to use a program like foobar, use the high quality resampling plugin, and set the default windows audio format to match the output from the resampling plugin.

But this is essentially pointless. A solution desperately searching for a problem, because the DAC converters in your audio interface run at much higher sample rates internally, regardless of what sample rate the audio they receive is.

Last edited by drumphil; 10-10-2019 at 05:31 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:40 AM   #28
pepe44

I appreciate your help. I have all sorted. Case closed. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:37 AM   #29
drumphil

Well, I'm not entirely convinced that you do have it all sorted, but if you're happy then all is good.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:14 AM   #30
pepe44

1 - outdated MOTU drivers for windows, last update was in 2015. Mac was in 2017. when i had my macbook pro 2009 i used my motu via firewire never had this problem.

2 - Windows shows the MOTU interface but if i dont use voicemeeter and i have the MOTU set to 96 KHZ on MOTU control panel every time i open a program to listen music it changes to 88.2 automatically. No matter what configurations i use.

3 - using Voicemeeter lets me use windows and DAWs at 96KHz without doing upsampling at anytime, its just using voicemeeter to "connect" the driver and in windows i choose Voicemeeter AUX IN has my default audio.

It´s working, no problems.
What else can I say ? Thanks for your help,appreciated, really.. but for now im sorted.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:17 AM   #31
serr

The focus isn't the streaming app audio. That is what it is and upsampling it to HD isn't going to generate any artifacts. It's about being able to leave the system at 96k for the actual important audio work and have everything else come along for the ride. And without having to switch the system around to different sample rates for certain tasks.

Some rogue app (or um... OS?) sending mystery sample rate requests is the kind of thing that could lead to some sample rate conversion on the fly with the important audio that was unintended. Absolutely need to track that kind of thing down.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #32
pepe44

Quote:
The focus isn't the streaming app audio. That is what it is and upsampling it to HD isn't going to generate any artifacts. It's about being able to leave the system at 96k for the actual important audio work and have everything else come along for the ride. And without having to switch the system around to different sample rates for certain tasks.

Some rogue app (or um... OS?) sending mystery sample rate requests is the kind of thing that could lead to some sample rate conversion on the fly with the important audio that was unintended. Absolutely need to track that kind of thing down.
That would happen naturally if the MOTU Drivers for windows were rock solid. they are not. At least for this interfaces!
Old 10-10-2019, 09:41 AM   #33
drumphil

I still haven't got an answer as to what the windows audio control panel shows the default audio format to be.....

Is this information top secret? I'm wondering if it doesn't show something different to what the MOTU control panel shows. Does the MOTU control panel sample rate setting perhaps only apply to ASIO? Or does the sample rate you set there not get applied to the default audio format in the windows audio control panel, requiring you to set both manually to the same sample rate?

Maybe it's got nothing to do with it, but I'm very curious to know what it says, without the motu control panel, or reaper being open. If it doesn't say 96K, then that could be the problem. That the default windows audio format isn't set to 96K.

Am I going to have to go to my local radio station where we have some motu ultralite interfaces and look for myself?

Maybe it's nothing, but I've invested enough time in trying to help with this that I'd really like to know so that I understand what's going on a bit better for future reference, as I have to work with these interfaces.

Do you understand that there are two places you can define a sample rate? The MOTU control panel, and the windows audio control panel in the default format section?

Maybe you do completely get all this, but I'm not sure, and you're not giving me confirmation.

I'm trying very hard to get you to tell me what the windows audio control panel says is the default sample rate, not just what the MOTU control panel says it is. Every time you talk about what sample rate the interface is running at you say what it say in the MOTU control panel, but not what it says in the default audio format section of the windows audio control panel.

I apologize if this is a language barrier thing, or if I'm being dense, but I don't think you've actually answered my question.

Quote:
It's about being able to leave the system at 96k for the actual important audio work and have everything else come along for the ride.
I'm still not sure that he understands that working this way necessarily means that apps that output lower sample rates will have to be resampled (poorly) in software to match the 96K rate of the audio interface. If everything else is just along for the ride, and sound quality isn't that important, then who cares if it doesn't run at 96K outside reaper?

I don't want to sound patronizing, but I'm waiting to hear something that give me confidence that this is understood.

Last edited by drumphil; 10-10-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:56 AM   #34
serr

Quote:
I still haven't got an answer as to what the windows audio control panel shows the default audio format to be.....
(Assuming no miscommunication) He said the Windows audio control panel crashes every time you try to open it when the MOTU control panel is open. Or if you try to connect the MOTU when you have the Windows control panel open, the MOTU control panel will refuse to open? (But the MOTU still connects and is an available device.)

So it wasn't possible to have both control panels open and watch one respond while driving from the other.

Fair enough if a 3rd party solution was easier to go after than fixing the root cause with Windows - which is what it sounds like happened. MOTU is supporting Windows OS though - this kind of conflict wouldn't just accepted by them as SOP. And that 88.2k sample rate request is coming from somewhere. There's an answer to uncover if someone wants to look.

Kind of sounds like the device driver is working like a champ actually. The device is available to connect to with various apps even though the control panel is crashed out in conflict with the OS control panel. Go go gadget MOTU audio driver!
Old 10-10-2019, 10:01 AM   #35
drumphil

Quote:
He said the Windows audio control panel crashes every time you try to open it when the MOTU control panel is open.

Yeah, but what does it say if you open it with the MOTU already connected, and without the MOTU control panel open?

If it wont open with the MOTU control panel open, or if it crashes when connecting the MOTU, then what happens if the MOTU is already connected and the MOTU control panel isn't open?

Quote:
solution
I still don't get what kind of solution forcing the MOTU to run at 96K so that apps that only output lower sample rates get run through crappy resampling in windows to match the audio device sample rate actually is? A solution to the problem of windows not degrading the quality of audio with crappy resampling?

Last edited by drumphil; 10-10-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #36
serr

Other way around.
Forcing the not so important streaming audio to match the sample rate of the actually important studio tracking/mixing session. So you have the convenience of those apps on hand but don't have to worry about anything switching around and compromising the studio audio.

You could always upsample something with SOX later on. Probably a moot point though. Upsampling on the fly is the easier path and the streaming lossy audio is probably a moot point to begin with.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #37
drumphil

Quote:
So you have the convenience of those apps on hand but don't have to worry about anything switching around and compromising the studio audio.
Would that even happen? Have you ever had reaper change it's sample rate because you used another app that wanted a different sample rate? Usually the other app just fails to play anything. As far as I'm aware he's doing this because he wants the better quality for his other apps, that supposedly comes with forcing the audio interface to run at 96K. I also think that he thinks that doing things this way forces the other apps to supply 96K audio, and doesn't require software resampling, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, apologies to pepe44 if I'm sounding difficult, just it can be frustrating when you're trying to get things straight in your head, and there is one thing you want to know, and you just can't seem to get them to click the thing that would show you.

This job is hard enough when you have access to the computer and control of the mouse. Doing it via internet forum can be excruciating.

Last edited by drumphil; 10-10-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #38
serr

Quote:
Would that even happen? Have you ever had reaper change it's sample rate because you used another app that wanted a different sample rate? Usually it just fails to play anything.
That's exactly my experience actually.

Being familiar with the MOTU units and using them in just about every aggregate device combination, this puzzle of a post caught my attention. There were a number of things where I know the units just don't do that normally, so I threw my 2c in. Probably digressed pretty far by now... Oh well.

I run Reaper using the Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device page for audio interface control and I have the preference set to not release the audio interface connection. So in this case no other app would be able to change the system sample rate. If I were to instead disable control from Reaper and control the system sample rate from my OS audio control panel, then any other app could make a sample rate request.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #39
drumphil

Are you on mac or pc? Using reaper with ASIO drivers on PC, usually the sample rate is fixed, and if anything goes wrong it refuses to play at all.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #40
karbomusic

Quote:
Anyway, apologies to pepe44 if I'm sounding difficult, just it can be frustrating when you're trying to get things straight in your head, and there is one thing you want to know, and you just can't seem to get them to click the thing that would show you.

This job is hard enough when you have access to the computer and control of the mouse. Doing it via internet forum can be excruciating.
I think he tries to answer it in post #3:

Quote:
i only have it ticked to 96.
Based on your question, I interpreted that as "Motu is at 96k, Windows default sound gives me a choice of 88.2k or 96k, I have set to 96k."

Regardless, that default needs to be the default he cares about, but he also said the other important choices (exclusivity check boxes) are missing when the SC is the Motu in windows defaults - not having those choices to set might be important for his goal as it will affect what other apps can to do those defaults in various scenarios.