Old 11-20-2019, 12:27 AM   #1
lokey
Human being with feelings

Default Why do you use REAPER?

What's your reason for using REAPER? Does it have to do with pro tools or another DAW? Why do you use REAPER over other DAW's?
lokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:26 AM   #2
mschnell

In fact, some years ago. I decided to use Reaper for doing my keyboard Live playing setup after having done some research on more dedicated tools for this, and found them to be too limited for my purpose, and most were way more expensive than Reaper. Additionally, of course Reaper promised to additionally be perfectly usable as a standard DAW for recording and mixing, without me adding more money and learning curve to the endeavor.

All my goals could be reached with the help of the community here. But then, new goals show up to work on .

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-20-2019 at 04:19 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:11 AM   #3
uksnowy

I got on the train just before V3. I did it solely on price point. I admit, I struggled a bit at first. I had been a long time Cubase user and also Ableton. So the environment was quite different. I used to work at SSL as a Service Engineer back in the late 90s and as I got in to Reaper more it reminded me of how some of the SSL Post Production operated. I totally got the routing of Reaper as this was also quite SSL like. Anyway, I just kept using it and I found I was actually more productive than I was with the other DAWS. For sure, I found Reaper to be clunky in certain areas but I learned to work around them. I have occasionally gone back to Ableton to get something done but I always come back to Reaper. I have made it my own. Something not so achievable in Cubase etc. I have never wanted to go back to Cubase. Ten years later, I am still leaning what this machine can do. Only the other day I found the need for automating a repeating set of commands. So I built a macro. The configurability is just awesome. And my story is not complete without sharing the love to the community here. This group of people are really special. I have not experienced a forum like this anywhere else, it's extraordinary and a big plus for keeping Reaper in my setup.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #4
P229R-DAK

I'd been recording my band jam sessions using a Zoom H4 with two Rode NT1-A mics for about a dozen years. I would then use EXPStudio Audio Editor on my home computer to break the jam session recordings into individual songs.

Then around 2015 I got a Cymatic LR16 digital recorder which I wired to the inserts of our old Mackie CFX20 analog mixing board. I was then able to record our jams down to 16 wav files on a usb stick. At that point I needed a program that I could use to mix those 16 wavs. I had Ableton Live Lite 4 which came with the Zoom H4, but I never really figured out how to use that program, and it didn't work with 16 tracks.

So I did some research online and found Reaper. I had never heard of it before, but after reading the reviews, and seeing the price tag, I went ahead and bought the private version. It is just astounding how much this program can do, and I've barely scratched the surface. And Kenny's videos, along with this forum, are a great help. I learn something new every time I look at this website.

A couple of months ago my guitar player got a Presonus StudioLive 32SX digital mixer to replace the Mackie. With the 32SX I can now record up to 32 channels to an SDHC card. And Reaper is easily up to the task.

I just do this as a hobby, I don't get paid for recording or mixing, but I really do enjoy it.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:52 AM   #5
Ozman

B/c it is the only DAW that can actually feel custom to my own needs.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:02 AM   #6
nait

My main reason is probably less glamorous than what most people would say, but it's 100% honest. I was facing the option of either renewing my Cubase license to the latest version, at something like $270USD, or try Reaper for free for a bit, then pay $60USD... and then knowing that I'll have the latest version of Reaper for much longer than I'd have the latest version of Cubase.

I had heard good things about Reaper, so I gave it a shot. I don't regret the switch at all. I think there's some stuff I found a bit easier to understand how to do in Cubase, but I'm getting used to things in Reaper. It does everything I need to do, and then some. The more I use it, the easier it is to use too.

Now that I've been using this for a while, I can say I'm extremely impressed by the community of users. Stuck on anything? There's probably a Kenny Gioia video for that. If not, write up a forum post, and it's answered rather quickly.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:07 AM   #7
Reason

Price.

I'm a hobbyist musician. I pirated FL Studio in my college days, and then got out of making music for a while. When I got back into it, I had a decent paying job, less trust of random executables downloaded from the web, and a slightly better-developed sense of ethics. I checked out LMMS, which is free and was fun to mess around in, but I got some horrible full-volume stutter-freeze crashes, as well as plenty of "blink and it's gone" CTDs. A friend of mine mentioned Reaper, so I checked it out and decided it was worth the $60. And it's well worth it. I've had minimal issues with it, and highly recommend it to any other hobbyists. I'm not qualified to recommend it or not to pros.

So now it lets me dink around with synths and sample libraries, and re-record old demos from when I was in a band 20 years ago and we only had 4 tracks, and just have some fun with music. It rarely crashes for me and I've gotten 4.5 years and counting out of my purchase cost, which means it's quickly closing in on $1 per month.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #8
Dafarkias

I like it for the same reason most people who don't like it don't like it.

It's a work in progress.

Also, it seems to be the most truly customizable DAW in existence: Themes, scripts, building customs menus. One man's REAPER could look nothing like another man's. You can even build your own plugins and effects (there are even tutorials online)!

I feel as if it's a DAW geared towards engineers. With the API and various resources, modding or extended the software is downright encouraged. As long as the devs have interest in the REAPER software and maintain its relevance with current and future OS's, it will remain a cutting-edge software. I would refer to this as 'software transparency'.

How many softwares can you buy these days that let you tweak them to such an exponential level? It seems the majority just sell you a package. If it's shiny and looks good, it must be good right?

Lol.

I think, how I feel is that REAPER sells you a utility. Other DAWs sell you an experience, or a look (and a lot of bugs).

Support my feature request!
Dafarkias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #9
Jeffsounds

I came from Guitar Tracks which came with a Digitech GNX3 that I purchased a hundred years or so ago. I got frustrated with Guitar Tracks because it just didn't flow for me so I went looking. I found Reaper and never looked back. It does everything I want it to do when I want it to do it. I'm not even a LITTLE bit interested in any other DAW.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:59 PM   #10
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokey View Post
What's your reason for using REAPER? Does it have to do with pro tools or another DAW? Why do you use REAPER over other DAW's?
I am in fact a refugee from Protools HD when they crashed and burned with their v9 release. I actually had problems with Digital Performer first. That was my remote recording system with firewire interfaces and the Protools HD rig with limited I/O (cause it was expensive) was the production system. DP struggled with the change from OS9 to OSX. Reaper turned out to not only be an upgrade for that but a seriously huge upgrade over Protools HD in the studio. And not only that... Reaper let me run live sound and record multitrack simultaneously. Suddenly there weren't dueling rigs anymore and everything from live sound to studio sessions was covered better than ever before. Running a live show from an iPad in 2009 felt pretty cutting edge for a while too!

Never looked back!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:14 PM   #11
D Rocks

I was used to Cubase since 2008 (cubase sx 3).
From there on I purchased most updates which were adding up to the total cost of making music.

I started encountering some crashes in Cubase and at the same time I saw the Kenny First MIDI song in Reaper video tutorial series on YuoTube which got me curious about trying Reaper. (Yes I knew Reaper by name before that though)

After trying that first MIDI song I really felt like Reaper had a lot to offer and at a small cost.
I also was very inspired by Justin's software philosophy and the forum's community in general.

I currently am still asking myself which one I prefer and to be honest the choice is really hard because there are some features that each have which i'd like to merge together lol.

So to answer that question I'm doing one song in Reaper, than one in Cubase 10, and so forth until I can pin point where I am more inclined to spend my life lol
Old 11-20-2019, 02:51 PM   #12
Coachz

I use it to record world class hit albums.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:57 PM   #13
jerome_oneil

There is nothing that approaches it from a "bang for your buck" standpoint.

I love the simple "tracks hold things, and we don't care what those things are" approach. I don't have to think a lot beyond "I'll need another track for that" when I'm composing. I can work out the details later.

Routing capabilities are farkin' awesome. Anything to anywhere pretty much as often as I like. Can't beat that!
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #14
BobF

I use it because it is unmatched in performance and also because of the track-is-a-track implementation.

The UI is the only reason I continue to look at others. Studio One is Reaper's toughest competitor IMO. To bad about the track vs channel hoops you have to jump thru.
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:10 PM   #15
peter5992

Somebody - I believe he worked at Avid Sibelius at the time - recommended it to me about 10 years ago, I checked it out, liked it, and purchased a commercial license.

A terrific program, prefer it over PT although I still use PT for compatibility reasons.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:38 PM   #16
poetnprophet

I was a long time Cakewalk user and a Cubase user somewhere in there, too. I also enjoyed playing around with Fruity Loops when it first came out. About 5 years ago I built a studio for myself just to make some rap songs with my friends...using Cakewalk. After about a year, I was bored, so I opened the doors and created a little side business. Everything was great until Cakewalk went through what it did...just a couple years ago. So I was looking into DAWs again, found Reaper and gave it a shot. Honestly, it didn't work for me at the time, I was expecting it to be like Cakewalk and trying to make it like CW. I couldn't navigate it well enough to hold a proper recording session, so I gave up. I continued to struggle with Cakewalk's stability big time, changed almost everything in my studio to get it to work...finally gave up and brought out Reaper again. I blocked my calendar for about 1 month to get familiar with it, with the help of some free sessions for select clients to help me dial things in. When I emerged, I was doing everything faster and easier than I ever had before.

And that's why I use Reaper. It was never about the cost, the popularity, etc. I just needed something that worked consistently and that would grow with me. The stuff I'm doing only 1 year later in terms of workflow is just amazing, and every day I learn something new that i can apply.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:29 PM   #17
Softsynth

The main reasons were:
Extremely small download file (I had horribly slow broadband at the time)

Unlimited performance, one version (like the company ethos).

Sensible price - didn't want to pay or download extra VST FX I would not really use.

Seemed reliable and more intuitive compared to other DAWs.

CPU friendly.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:02 PM   #18
vsgrt

Migrated from Ableton two years ago. Had some funny reasons to use it initially: The rate fader and the "save live output to disk" feature. Ended up loving it for many reasons however.

I have some attention issues as well, so i'm fairly dependent on simplicity and minimalism to create. Reaper allows me to remove most bloat and clutter. It is more like a blank slate. No nonsense. Reminds me of being a kid faced with the endless possibilities of the simplistic Windows Sound Recorder in win98. I dislike this whole "Production Suite Pro™" philosophy of most DAWs. It does bad things to my state of mind. Reaper, while incredibly deep obviously, has a sort of stoic character that i get along with.

Another important reason i use it is that the customisation enables a level of feedback between me and the software that isn't possible in most other DAWs. The more i use Reaper, the more idiosyncratic my use of it becomes (via a fairly organic process). This makes it feel more personal to use which is important on a creative level, i've found.
vsgrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:28 PM   #19
Philbo King

Frankly, most of the other DAWs I've used seem like toys compared to Reaper.
No doubt that it has its issues... but I can get music done much more effectively than in the other tools I've tried or used (Cakewalk, Cooledit, Traction, Acid, Sonar, Vegas, Studio One, a few others).
Old 11-21-2019, 12:16 AM   #20
foxAsteria

I tried most of the rest, but they always fell short in some critical area and I was never satisfied. I stumbled across Reaper one day and fell in love.

Reaper's by far the most customizable DAW. I wanted a tool that would work the way I envisioned; not to learn how someone else thought it should work. Fast workflow is everything to me only Reaper allows me to work so fast.

Reaper for life, babay!

Last edited by foxAsteria; 11-21-2019 at 10:57 AM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:11 AM   #21
siehorst

very simple:
- because it does everything I want
(including speed, stability)
- because it is affordable (I spent the sved money for master and mixing plugins of my choice not beeing dependent on bundled plug ins - that however have done the job for a very long time).
horst
siehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:44 AM   #22
Tubeguy

Feels like I'm using analog to me. I know, sound crazy but that's what it is for me.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:11 AM   #23
Valle

ReaScript!
Old 11-21-2019, 09:46 AM   #24
Sari

Because it perfectly fits MY needs.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #25
woogish

because..........................
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:53 PM   #26
martifingers

Started with Cooledit/Audition which at some point wouldn't do multi-track with my hardware. Tried n-track Studio (anyone remember that?) and then Cubase which seemed (ahem) over complicated eg just to add a VST eytc. also it seemed unstable with a lot of (free) VSTs. Tried REAPER, looked far too complex... bought a new pc whch came with a full boxed version of REASON which was interesting but hopeless for audio.

Looked again at REAPER (this was BKE remember ie Before Kenny Era) and for some reason (no pun intended) it clicked and the simple stuff worked. Until I got hopelessly confused by the whole Takes system and unfathomable splits everywhere... but persevered cos every frustration was countered by 20 examples of "Wow! It can do that!" or "A whole day's recording and not one crash"...

And then it became the years of the KE (Kenny Era)and by then I had discovered the wisdom, humour and er... passion of this forum and REAPER just kept getting better, I was getting a little bit more skilled and realised that Reaper could do all I could possibly want and that the knowledge of how to was probably only a video, a post, an email or a read of the manual away. And the generous and even inspirational business model is, as they say, a cherry on the top.
(Still get confused by the take system sometimes though!&#128521

Last edited by martifingers; 11-21-2019 at 02:53 PM. Reason: odd code?
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:14 PM   #27
Thonex

Customizability!

.... oh... and reliability!

...Oh... and the most responsive and prolific development team I have encountered.

Last edited by Thonex; 11-21-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Thonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:54 PM   #28
lokey

All these replies in less than 2 days! I love this forum! This great community is one of the main reasons I use REAPER!
lokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:41 PM   #29
mixer

I use it because it's so customizable I have it washing the dishes and putting the kids to bed.
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:41 AM   #30
Skijumptoes

With the issues in Mac world (USB Audio issues/Cost of hardware/No Mac Pro Suitable for audio budgets) i was looking at a DAW to go cross platform with (From Logic).

I'm between REAPER and Cubase right now, the main pull to REAPER is no dongle, lightweight install and great CPU performance. The pull to Cubase is the integrated environment and amount of instant functions/sounds/polished tools.

I still don't know where i'm going to fall, but one things for sure Win10 is a good platform for audio so Logic is on it's way out of my life.

I've always had REAPER laying around as a second DAW to confirm if i have any connectivity or plugin issues with my main so i know it really well. I get so far with it, and then an issue pops up (Like waves plugins not responding etc.) so i come back and revisit each month.
Skijumptoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:25 AM   #31
drichard

Former PT user. Hated it. It was constantly problematic. Reaper has been my DAW for several years, and i love it. IMO the best product available. Fast, efficient, configurable, powerful, flexible, the whole works. I'm retired so I would be lying if I didn't say price was a factor, but if PT and Reaper had exactly the same pricing and support I would take Reaper 1000 out of 1000 times. I consider Reaper head and shoulders above PT in nearly every way. I still sometimes use Samplitude for small tasks and for mastering, but Reaper is my main tool. I have tried Studio One but didn't purchase it after the trial. If you like how it works it is great but it is inflexible and certain operations were a major PITA, so for me, again Reaper is better.

Plus, i really admire the Cockos business model, their constant upgrades, the incredible ease of upgrading, and the fact I can use a new version without fear of it failing. (I tell PT users I can upgrade my version of Reaper in less than 15 seconds, and they think I'm lying, but I've timed it.) It's a great company and a great user community, and Kenny's videos are terrific. There is very little to dislike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokey View Post
drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:29 AM   #32
hits_of_sunshine

1 The ability to archive. - You can archive all tracks and even DAW itself with the portable installation.

2 'Reaper Mania' on youtube. - I can't understand full-stacked DAW without instruction videos.
hits_of_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:17 AM   #33
Glennbo

I use REAPER because of it's stability and efficiency.

Fancy bells and whistles are fine, but for me transport keys and the ability to add FX in a super efficient and resilient DAW are the things I like about REAPER. I only need to to capture moments, exactly as they were played before the creative juices fade. REAPER accomplishes this and stays out of my way.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:51 AM   #34
serr

I think it was another thread where someone wrote about those of us who prefer customizable tools like Reaper vs locked down features like some other DAWs do. Protools was mentioned as an example of the latter.

At the time, Protools was happiness and light! In hindsight, I'm more attracted to the customizable toolset. At the time, Protools was simply the most advanced tool available and I adapted where I had to like you do.

I tried Emagic Logic Audio Platinum first in the late 1990s. Hence the name Logic Audio Hell coming to be and sticking. They had this buggy automation system where you had to: Open the project. Record a 'touch' move to alter any automation envelope. Save and close. If you did ANYTHING else in ANY other order... poof! Entire envelope gone! Don't even think of clicking on points manually! Poof! Entire envelope gone!

Kind of a shitty stressful way to work!

Oh, and PDC was not a thing yet and wasn't even reported! You had to sync your board yourself manually. Yep.

Protools was this amazing happiness and light after that introduction!
(It wasn't until v4 or v5 that we got automatic PDC either! But at least it was reported for your convenience.)

Then they crashed and burned 10 years later and here comes Reaper with a magnitude more modern feature set over Protools HD. Apple might have fixed that bug after they bought Logic but they never made Logic Audio Hell Apple-like.

Weird times these days!
Some of the most dishonest grifter corporate garbage you'll ever see next to some of the most innovative products anyone's ever seen!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:15 AM   #35
ivansc

What is sad is the few excellent companies that for whatever reason fell by the wayside despite having what at the time seemed like a great product.

Having been exposed to Logic Pro9 on a mac recently, it reaffirmed my earliest experience with Logic. The one thing it wasn`t was logical!

Without realising it, I was one of the earliest users of what became Pro Tools once it was released, as a friend was alpha & beta testing for them. At the time their audio editing just totally blew me away.
However, when Bill Gates bought out the Blue Ribbon bakery & dumped Bars n Pipes Pro, he killed off the best MIDI sequencing app I have ever used, just as they were starting to integrate audio recording & editing into it. Prior to discovering Reaper I had used Sonar - mostly because its MIDI functions were fairly close to what I was used to in BPP and I still haven`t tried anything that comes close, but reaper IS sorta getting there on the MIDI side..
If I did a little more MIDI authoring I would still be tempted to get hold of an Amiga!

And finally the things that keep me loving Reaper are the community and the fact that if you work at it, you can pretty much do anything. And of course it doesn`t spend all its time crashing like so many other DAWs seem to. Oh - Did I mention that you also don`t get saddled with a bunch of not very good VSTis when you already have some great ones that suit what you do. And and and...

Last edited by ivansc; 11-29-2019 at 10:21 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:25 AM   #36
martifingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
However, when Bill Gates bought out the Blue Ribbon bakery & dumped Bars n Pipes Pro, he killed off the best MIDI sequencing app I have ever used, just as they were starting to integrate audio recording & editing into it. Prior to discovering Reaper I had used Sonar - mostly because its MIDI functions were fairly close to what I was used to in BPP and I still haven`t tried anything that comes close, but reaper IS sorta getting there on the MIDI side..
If I did a little more MIDI authoring I would still be tempted to get hold of an Amiga!
OK so there's a challenge for the supremely talented coders out there - a Bars and Pipes theme that rocks! I am joking (probably)...
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:22 AM   #37
sostenuto

Reaper is simply the best DAW choice from every personal perspective. Many years of daily usage now, much help from Forum, cannot have asked for more ..... well maybe Update for treasured White Tie Imperial Theme
Admittedly modest needs compared to many talented Reaper Users.

Looking forward to V6

Last edited by sostenuto; 11-29-2019 at 11:29 AM.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:46 AM   #38
alphoc

I have been using it since February 2009. Previously I used Cubase a few years later I learned Pro Tools and Logic at Sae. Then I went with Reaper because I could record quickly. Actually, I'm not quitting for the same reason. It was a little handy when I customized it quite a bit. I do my mixes with Reaper, but it's a very challenging and messy program. The only advantage for me is that it works really smoothly on the Macbook pro and this is very important.

I also wrote some things that indicate that I want Reaper to be better but I think it is not worth considering. Let me explain this a bit, though I've mentioned it before, but it didn't work. I've seen all the videos about Reaper, I haven't seen the right mix once, why? The volume of the snare verb send does not change as the volume of the Drum Folder changes. In other words, the dry drum sound falls or rises, but the verb remains the same. This is very important, I have never seen what makes it right. I wonder why there is no update to synchronize the send level of the folder level and its contents (snr-tom-kik ..)? Don't recommend the VCA because it doesn't work.

Similarly, another issue is about rouiting; Why is there a single send type? All DAWs send the signal in a way for effects to be sent, we call it send, using another output to route the track output to a bus. we just need to see two separate outputs from a track, track output to bus and send to the effects ... I think these are the most important things for Reaper's development.

It was a bit like complaining maybe but I am neither fanboy nor troll. There are also those who really have problems like me. I still prefer Reaper, but why shouldn't we have more reasons?

If I was sure that my writings would be taken into consideration, I would like to talk about other shortcomings and surpluses, but that's enough for now, I think.
alphoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:58 AM   #39
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphoc View Post
I've seen all the videos about Reaper, I haven't seen the right mix once, why? The volume of the snare verb send does not change as the volume of the Drum Folder changes. In other words, the dry drum sound falls or rises, but the verb remains the same.
I keep my drum reverb in the same folder as my drum tracks so that drums are 100% contained in a folder together. You can even see my layout in the screen capture I posted a couple of messages earlier. My acoustic drums are setup in REAPER like this.

Drum folder at the top level with Kick, Snare, L/R Overheads, Room, and Reverb tracks all a level below. Individual tracks each have sends going to the 100% wet reverb that lives inside the drum folder.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:08 PM   #40
Rmn

it's portable, and lightweight.

also i come from sony vegas / sony acid, so it was the perfect transition (in 2006).
Rmn is offline   Reply With Quote