Old 02-22-2020, 09:13 AM   #281
geoffroy
Human being with feelings

I'm getting this error : '...Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\Tracker tools\Tracker\tracker.lua:4424: bad argument #1 to 'MIDI_CountEvts' (MediaItem_Take expected)' when changing the length of a pattern inside Trackey.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:33 AM   #282
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffroy View Post
I'm getting this error : '...Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\Tracker tools\Tracker\tracker.lua:4424: bad argument #1 to 'MIDI_CountEvts' (MediaItem_Take expected)' when changing the length of a pattern inside Trackey.
Consistently? Could you send me your config?
The cfg files in %APPDATA%\REAPER\Scripts\Tracker tools\Tracker
Old 02-22-2020, 12:36 PM   #283
TonE

Got exact same error, I created a new pattern hitting Ctrl-Enter, had patterns 00 and 01, 01 as empty take, somehow I was trying to find out how I can duplicate 00 to 01 then modifying it, then got same above error.

Last edited by TonE; 02-22-2020 at 11:13 PM.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:45 PM   #284
sai'ke

I think I know what caused the former issue. Try the new version (2.13).
Old 02-22-2020, 11:17 PM   #285
TonE

Quote:
And BTW "Set loop on pattern switch" preference does not work here (Reaper 6.03 on Windows 10)
I disabled all this functionality, as this is disturbing. Normally I set my loop range to some range, within that the music is looping, then I edit here and there, meaning mostly adding OFF breaks, via hackey patterns.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:21 AM   #286
geoffroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
Consistently? Could you send me your config?
The cfg files in %APPDATA%\REAPER\Scripts\Tracker tools\Tracker
Yes, consistently.
1. Start Reaper 6.04
2. Add a new virtual instrument track
3. Add an empty midi item
4. Start Hackey Trackey
5. Change pattern length inside Trackey
-> error

Here are my config files : https://we.tl/t-hzlTCnsgca

Thanks again for your patience !
Old 02-23-2020, 02:28 AM   #287
geoffroy

Also, when using a French AZERTY keyboard, I can't enter sharp notes on the top of the keyboard.
I can use azertyuiop to enter notes for C, D, E, etc. but not é"(-èçàp for C#, D#, F#, etc.
And btw - enters an OFF command which would clash with G#.

Hope it helps !
Old 02-23-2020, 04:58 AM   #288
sai'ke

Quote:
Also, when using a French AZERTY keyboard, I can't enter sharp notes on the top of the keyboard.
I can use azertyuiop to enter notes for C, D, E, etc. but not é"(-èçàp for C#, D#, F#, etc.
And btw - enters an OFF command which would clash with G#.

Hope it helps !

The top row only functions as notes in the renoise mode. In the other modes (default, buzz etc) it enters octave. OFF is mapped to \ in renoise mode.

I'm still really confused. I updated reaper to 6.04 and tried it with both the configs you sent and my own.

Just to verify, this is how you edit the length? With the little thing in the bottom left?
Old 02-23-2020, 05:46 AM   #289
geoffroy

Thanks for the keyboard layout, I should have tested the other keyboard arrangements.

Here is a licecap of what I'm doing (I'm using the little thing in the bottom left indeed)

Old 02-23-2020, 06:23 AM   #290
TonE

Now try with 2.13
Old 02-23-2020, 07:02 AM   #291
geoffroy

Seems to work with 2.14, I'm no longer getting the '...Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\Tracker tools\Tracker\tracker.lua:4424: bad argument #1 to 'MIDI_CountEvts' (MediaItem_Take expected)' error when changing the length of a pattern.

Thanks for the fix !!

Last edited by geoffroy; 02-23-2020 at 07:11 AM.
geoffroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:10 AM   #292
geoffroy

Quote:
The top row only functions as notes in the renoise mode. In the other modes (default, buzz etc) it enters octave. OFF is mapped to \ in renoise mode.
I'm sorry to be the guy who reports bugs... With Trackey 2.14, with an AZERTY keyboard, in Renoise map, pressing A enters OFF or OFC, not the note C. And the first row does not input any note.

Thanks again for your patience.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:16 AM   #293
TonE

Nothing to sorry, we are the only two users it seems, that is why.
And I am not using azerty, thus nobody else tested it that hardly, as you are doing now probably. With newer tools it is always best to play around more with the 'default' settings, later you can experiment with more advanced options, like other bindings, colors, settings, first just to see if it works at all. In the meantime more bugs would be cleaned already, hopefully. Otherwise you will be always the first who will report everything.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:41 AM   #294
sai'ke

Quote:
I'm sorry to be the guy who reports bugs... With Trackey 2.14, with an AZERTY keyboard, in Renoise map, pressing A enters OFF or OFC, not the note C. And the first row does not input any note.

Thanks again for your patience.
Nah, I appreciate the reports. I'm sorry the experience hasn't been more bug free so far . The AZERTY layout is tricky as I don't have an azerty keyboard to test with. I've just pushed a version (2.15) which moves the note off for the renoise layout to the letter Q when AZERTY is enabled.

If there are others that should be swapped to have a decent workflow on AZERTY keyboards I'd love to know. In the code for the tracker there's a thing called printkeys (it's being set to 0 by default, but if you set it to 1 you can see the keystrokes; you can search for it with ctrl+f).

It would be very helpful to know the keystrokes of those that should be swapped.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:57 AM   #295
todd_r

Ooh, how do you get the swishy graphics to show up?
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #296
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_r View Post
Ooh, how do you get the swishy graphics to show up?
Under options (default=F11 or Ctrl + O) select 2 for FX1 and then choose a style you like.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:15 AM   #297
TonE

How can we get lowest pitch = 0 as editable note in tracker? C-0 should equal to pitch 0 and not a few octaves above. In the code I saw there are some c added, is there any option so C-0 can mean ptich = 0 later, so I can access all samples I would load into Reasamplomatic 5 Million ?

A big hurray for the new use case idea for RS5M, using automatic pin assignment for getting as many outputs as you want, automagically. The required lua should do following, I give an example:
- you have 8 RS5k in same track, sequentially, trackey midi will be edited here
- if I want 8 stereo output, pins are set count % 8
- 8 new tracks are created
- 8 sends generated from original track to those 8, from correct outs to 1/2

Only after that fun in hackey trackey can begin, having wonderful separate outputs for your samples, for all the fantastic saike plugins, and this method is infinitely extendable if you want you can have 128 outputs sampler. I guess I will use mostly 8 stereo outputs variant, even 16 stereo outputs I find a bit too much, their management should keep simple as well, and KISS, simple is better, less is more.

Last edited by TonE; 03-04-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:20 PM   #298
TonE

Hitting ENTER from docked hackey trackey, giving this error here:

...on Data\REAPER\Scripts\Tracker tools\Tracker\tracker.lua:2967: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value (field '?')
Old 03-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #299
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
How can we get lowest pitch = 0 as editable note in tracker? C-0 should equal to pitch 0 and not a few octaves above. In the code I saw there are some c added, is there any option so C-0 can mean ptich = 0 later, so I can access all samples I would load into Reasamplomatic 5 Million ?
C-0 is in there. Set the base octave to zero (little Oct [X] thingy at the bottom). On the default keymap you can switch the base octave with ctrl + up / down.

Quote:
Hitting ENTER from docked hackey trackey, giving this error here:

...on Data\REAPER\Scripts\Tracker tools\Tracker\tracker.lua:2967: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value (field '?')
I'm having trouble reproducing this. Does it happen every time?

It seems to be related to selections / clipboard. Just to verify, did you change HT in any way? Are you on 2.15? Can you send me your config files?
Old 03-06-2020, 10:54 AM   #300
TonE

Dear saike, no I am not changing HT in any way, if I would do, I would just create a copy and rename it, playing with that, so your automatic updating via reapack can continue, as I did e.g. for Filther because of the background image experimentation. I will recheck again, in case I find a reproducable method, I can write the details again, with the required files.

Regarding octaves, yes, ctrl-up/down is changing here but in trackey the notes are not shown any more, below certain octaves, the lowest two octaves or so. My suggestion would be, if not possible already, using/counting octaves also with hexadecimal 0..9, next A maybe? In case someone needs the other 8 notes as well? 10 * 12 = 120 notes, + 8 = 128 notes, going from 0..127.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:02 AM   #301
TonE

Worth checking, as related to hackey trackey and how Reaper internal tools can replace shortcircuit and tracker workflow, wonderful! See
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....30#post2253430

Improvement ideas are welcome, there or here.

Also worth checking, https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....72#post2253672 because related to hackey trackey, topic: midi channels to pin pairs.

Last edited by TonE; 03-07-2020 at 01:12 AM. Reason: replaced with better post
Old 03-07-2020, 02:10 AM   #302
TonE

A muting feature per tracker columns could be handy as well?
Another tracker column for column muting could be fun? Until OFF, as with notes. Instead of note on, note off, mute on, mute off.

Example: column muting column
01 would mute column 1
... until next entry
02 would mute column 2

Why and how can this be useful?
Sometimes if I have a crowded pattern and I do not like some sounds in it, after crazy experimentation, I need to find out on which column those notes sit, having the column muting feature can help finding the right column.

Not required, as already available. Hit ctrl-shift-a, type in 123, enter. Midi output mode Out[C], then go to that column, enter 1 for muting. Wonderful. You can mute notes without having to delete them, so you can experiment here, selectively muting stuff.

Last edited by TonE; 03-07-2020 at 05:23 AM. Reason: per channel cc with 123 can mute columns in Out[C] mode
Old 03-07-2020, 08:13 AM   #303
sai'ke

I've added a solo (CTRL + S) and mute (CTRL + A) option. Beware though, they might not work exactly as you might expect.

- They are item-bound, which means switching item does not preserve column mute status.
- Columns with no midi data will not preserve their mute state.

That said, it should still allow you to quickly audition a column.

Last edited by sai'ke; 03-07-2020 at 10:30 AM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:05 AM   #304
TonE

Thanks for the quick addition. Ctrl-s worked, ctrl-m I have to check again why it did not work here, if I have any keybindings on that, hmm, I should not have I think.

Here a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRb3qMzVi3c

One more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7tNVwSx8a0

Last edited by TonE; 03-07-2020 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:30 AM   #305
sai'ke

Sorry, CTRL + A

P.S. Sounds pretty trippy. Really dig the 2.15 one
Old 03-12-2020, 05:22 AM   #306
TonE

Quote:
Can you send me your config files?
I made a new entry with all information and files, see https://github.com/michaelsjackson/r...orums/issues/5

No I did not change hackey trackey, to my knowledge. It is what I got from Reapack.

Why you excluded pitches 0..11? In case you want a use case example, loop conversion to midi and RS5k, is starting filling with pitch = 0, for example. But even without that use case I would like to use those pitches as well, I would rather throw away the highest pitches, if at all any. Sometimes users might want to use this tracker interface also for other purposes, not only for music, so they might need all 128 values, 0..127.
PHP Code:
    -- start at 12 because notes 0-11 are octave -1which isn't in pitchTable
    for note = 12, 127 do 
So request here is getting notes 0..11 into the pitchTable.

Last edited by TonE; 03-12-2020 at 01:29 PM. Reason: added improvement idea
Old 03-13-2020, 10:12 AM   #307
sai'ke

Quote:
So request here is getting notes 0..11 into the pitchTable.
The problem with that is that you can't tell it apart from C-1. This is why I didn't include it. I do not want to add another column or make it break the alignment.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:56 PM   #308
TonE

No, the question is why can C-0 not mean pitch = 0. Just the lowest pitch. I do not care if their names are not same in trackey and midi editor of Reaper, I am using anyway only hackey trackey, and in midi editor, I see anyway where the notes are. There are 10 octaves, 0..9, making 10 * 12 = 120 notes, only the last 8 notes would remain. Either ignoring them, or if wanting to include them, hexadecimal numbers could be used, A for that octave? 0..A. Without hexadecimal numbers there I would just ignore the last 8 notes, 120 notes should be enough, per channel.

Or is there any other important case or problem I do not understand?
Old 03-13-2020, 03:02 PM   #309
sai'ke

Quote:
No, the question is why can C-0 not mean pitch = 0. Just the lowest pitch. I do not care if their names are not same in trackey and midi editor of Reaper, I am using anyway only hackey trackey, and in midi editor, I see anyway where the notes are. There are 10 octaves, 0..9, making 10 * 12 = 120 notes, only the last 8 notes would remain. Either ignoring them, or if wanting to include them, hexadecimal numbers could be used, A for that octave? 0..A. Without hexadecimal numbers there I would just ignore the last 8 notes, 120 notes should be enough, per channel.

Or is there any other important case or problem I do not understand?
Because MIDI defines the lowest octave as -1, not 0. I could add them as M.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:17 PM   #310
TonE

I see, but where do we use the "octave" inside hackey trackey, except in source code? I am just using ctrl-up/down shifting the octave, the official definition is not so important, but I understood, you wanted to stay as close as possible to the midi standard, thus also to Reapers midi editor implementation.

If adding M is somehow possible, it would help a lot, especially as mentioned before, when transfering audio loops to RS5k samples, which start at pitch 0. Then we could play around with those samples directly in trackey. see https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=232672
Old 03-14-2020, 05:55 AM   #311
sai'ke

Quote:
I see, but where do we use the "octave" inside hackey trackey, except in source code? I am just using ctrl-up/down shifting the octave, the official definition is not so important, but I understood, you wanted to stay as close as possible to the midi standard, thus also to Reapers midi editor implementation.

If adding M is somehow possible, it would help a lot, especially as mentioned before, when transfering audio loops to RS5k samples, which start at pitch 0. Then we could play around with those samples directly in trackey. see https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=232672
Hi TonE, support for lowest octave has been added now. Designated with M.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #312
TonE

Dear saike, you are fantastic, thanks a lot! Tested quickly, all worked, as expected. Perfect, thanks a lot! Making MK Slicer much more fun, but if its velocity detection would work, not working here yet, but this is another topic.

Not to forget the Amiga vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9MXYZh1jcs

Finding the Protracker colors for trackey would be great. Can we get those rainbow bars into hackey somehow? Rainbow, dark blue text, font, almost there.

Last edited by TonE; 03-15-2020 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:50 AM   #313
TonE

saike roks, like this cool girl here, music is fantastic thanks to devs like you or musicians like in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvtJYC8qsQk

Last edited by TonE; 03-25-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:08 AM   #314
TonE

Window size and position are not saved here, especially when used with 32 lines per bar. Having that would be cool, opening trackey always in an expected form, not always in 16 line size.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:58 AM   #315
sai'ke

Quote:
Window size and position are not saved here, especially when used with 32 lines per bar. Having that would be cool, opening trackey always in an expected form, not always in 16 line size.
Should be fixed in v2.19. Make sure you have auto resize off.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:05 PM   #316
TonE

Hmm, still not working here in wine, 32-bit.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:59 PM   #317
sai'ke

Quote:
Hmm, still not working here in wine, 32-bit.
I assume you turned off auto-resize.

Can you record a GIF and send me your config files?
Old 03-29-2020, 11:16 AM   #318
TonE

Quote:
I assume you turned off auto-resize.

Can you record a GIF and send me your config files?
Yes, I tried all variants. Uploaded gif and config files, see
https://github.com/michaelsjackson/r...orums/issues/6

Thanks for caring and the quick response.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:41 PM   #319
sai'ke

Hey TonE,

I don't know why, but you have a rather low maxHeight in your config file. Try changing it to something higher. Same goes for the width. The tracker will never open larger than whatever value you set there (in pixels).

Code:
maxHeight=400
to

Code:
maxHeight=40000
Old 03-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #320
TonE

Dear saike, thanks a lot, indeed it's working now, perfect. Now I can open it always full screen and making it transparent if I want to see the background in parallel as in my latest youtube example. One screen one pattern is great, especially I like the setting 'set loop on pattern switch' with 'follow selection', which is quite handy when using Duplicate pattern with Ctrl+D (in my custom mode at least), is a lot of fun when using together with Renoise redux, for designing drum pattern triggerings, e.g. adding into program change colum in hackey trackey 7F, for ensuring keymap mode in redux, then switching patterns using notes in hackey trackey, lots of fun, find something nice, duplicate, modify more, duplicate, collecting up nice grooves quickly, then switch over to hackey patterns, lay those out, 3 times pattern a, 1 time pattern b, for example.

hackey trackey + renoise redux are a dream team, especially because inside reaper. I always wanted matilde tracker as vsti, and now redux is exactly this, or even more, there are no excuses any more, we have perfect tracker workflow inside reaper, thanks to you and redux devs.

What reaper devs could learn from redux devs is using those 'red corners' to show visually the active context, this method would be a perfect style also for reaper, there are so many contexts, and we should see it like redux devs did it.

Last edited by TonE; 03-29-2020 at 02:00 PM.