Old 03-25-2020, 08:31 PM   #641
Bevosss
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
it's currently +10,568 with an hour plus to go until GMT 0:00

Might still surpass yesterday's 11, 075 figure
It's +13,355 showing for yesterday (March 25)...that's another increase in new cases rate for the US ( +20.5%)

Last edited by Bevosss; 03-25-2020 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:53 PM   #642
tspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Minnesota's governor just ordered the shelter in place, starting Friday. As leery as I am of all politicians, his press conference was brilliant.
https://youtu.be/_OT5PaxGKvU
His press conference was indeed brilliant. He lays out facts, clear plans, with no sugarcoating of hard truths and no political BS. Larry Hogan, the governor of Maryland (where I live) is following the same approach. I have been impressed by several of the other governors around the country. If only our other leaders could be so clear eyed, honest, and open, about our situation I would feel so much better about our ability to deal with what is coming our way.

Last edited by tspring; 03-25-2020 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:07 PM   #643
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspring View Post
His press conference was indeed brilliant. He lays out facts, clear plans, with no sugarcoating of hard truths and no political BS
I agree, one of the best presentations I've seen on the problem and a local working solution.

Thanks for posting that richie
Old 03-25-2020, 11:00 PM   #644
jerome_oneil

Quote:
I Absolutely know this to be true. Unfortunately cannot divulge my sources of information, but it is very direct to the source of the kits. At least initially the kits will probably be available in the UK only.
If they can do a 15 minute at home kit, every government on Earth aught to break the bank buying them up and getting them to mass production.

The current practice of only testing people that are symptomatic seems counterproductive to me. I don't worry about people showing symptoms. I just assume they've got it. It's the asymptomatic guy that scares the shit out of me. "I feel great, so I think I'll just go walk around the grocery store..."
Old 03-26-2020, 01:57 AM   #645
Judders

The government in the UK refused the invitation to be part of the EU bulk-buy vital medical equipment plan that would reduce cost and speed up delivery.

That'll show those Brussels bureaucrats!

Quote:
Boris Johnson has been accused of letting “Brexit ideology dictate his approach to Coronavirus” after the government refused to take part in an EU scheme to procure much-needed medical equipment.

European countries have banded together collectively to procure bulk orders of ventilators and personal protective equipment, with the first phase now having secured “offers of considerable scale on shortest notice”.

The UK was invited to take part in the scheme, which is leveraging the 500 million-person single market’s huge buying power to secure faster and cheaper orders with less admin at a time of extreme global demand.

But UK officials confirmed on Wednesday that Britain would not be taking part in the scheme, after previously having said the government would decide which way to go.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9424631.html
Old 03-26-2020, 02:18 AM   #646
Evan

The importance of face protection...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoDwXwZXsDI

#masks4all
Old 03-26-2020, 02:28 AM   #647
Softsynth

Health benefits of Coronavirus!
Old 03-26-2020, 03:13 AM   #648
Eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Health benefits of Coronavirus!
couldnt really grind through this but starts with the usual confusion about death rates - comparisons with ebola etc. Death rate by itself is not all that informative, you need to link that into incidence. It is not all that much of a problem to the world at large if something has 100% death rate but only one person can ever get it. On the other hand a death rate of 1% is a big deal if 1 billion people get the disease - that's 10,000,000 dead.

That combination of incidence and death rate is what has people worried about coronavirus, which seems to be on all the data we have, much more contagious than flu

And the rest seems to be along the smae lines as people who say - war is good, think of all the medical advances arrived at through treating the wounded, as if medical advances can only occur through that process
Old 03-26-2020, 04:21 AM   #649
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
couldnt really grind through this but starts with the usual confusion about death rates -
Hmm, you should watch the video properly before jumping to conclusions. The video does not downplay the serious consequences of this virus.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:34 AM   #650
Eddy

Quote:
Hmm, you should watch the video properly before jumping to conclusions. The video does not downplay the serious consequences of this virus.
I watched a fair bit - does he talk about incidence as well as rates? I did not notice that bit. And does he say - only joking about his point that we need this disaster to prepare for an even bigger disaster - which is not all that compelling a position to hold. But maybe I missed that too. In which case I sincerely apologise and please give me the times in the video where I can listen to him talk about those points I make

[EDIT - I went back to rewatch and he just comes across as a dickhead to me - I find the whole "training wheels for humanity" quite a disturbing attitude]

Last edited by Eddy; 03-26-2020 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:47 AM   #651
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I watched a fair bit - does he talk about incidence as well as rates? I did not notice that bit. And does he say - only joking about his point that we need this disaster to prepare for an even bigger disaster - which is not all that compelling a position to hold. But maybe I missed that too. In which case I sincerely apologise and please give me the times in the video where I can listen to him talk about those points I make
I'm not breaking the video down for you, I presented it here for others to make of what they will, nonetheless it is unfair to prejudge it as misinformation as so far as I can remember it was not.
I simply presented a video to the forum to digest (if anyone wants) from a relatively interesting viewpoint (not an expert on the virus) that used information and statistics and offered some silver linings to this terrible crisis - which evidently there are if we consider the lives saved by cleaner air today, and the preparations for potentially far more serious pandemics in the future (as in 80-95% of us dead, or near extinction level pandemic, which is perfectly possible).
I take this virus very, VERY seriously (it could kill me and my family). I would not for instance point to moron videos that are playing down the seriousness of the pandemic, or those that imply the authorities are using this as an excuse to bring in world Gov't and so on.

Of course the dodgy 'tache and the braces make him look comical, and he isn't a health expert.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:18 AM   #652
Bevosss

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-con...us-of-covid-19

Quote:
Status of COVID-19
As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK.

The 4 nations public health HCID group made an interim recommendation in January 2020 to classify COVID-19 as an HCID. This was based on consideration of the UK HCID criteria about the virus and the disease with information available during the early stages of the outbreak. Now that more is known about COVID-19, the public health bodies in the UK have reviewed the most up to date information about COVID-19 against the UK HCID criteria. They have determined that several features have now changed; in particular, more information is available about mortality rates (low overall), and there is now greater clinical awareness and a specific and sensitive laboratory test, the availability of which continues to increase.

The Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens (ACDP) is also of the opinion that COVID-19 should no longer be classified as an HCID.

The need to have a national, coordinated response remains, but this is being met by the government’s COVID-19 response.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:56 AM   #653
tspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post

#masks4all
I don't ordinarily lend much credence to YouTube videos from unfamiliar sources, but the in this case, the information presented appears to be based on hard data and extensive research. For those who have not watched the video, the authors (data scientists/data ethicists Jeremy Howard and Rachel Thomas) take a data-driven approach to try to understand why some countries appear to have been able to effectively slow the spread of COVID-19 when others have not. There is strong circumstantial evidence that suggests that the universal use of face masks is an important determinant, and that for use in everyday life, a sophisticated N-95 type mask is not needed. Indeed, experiences in the Czechoslavakia so far indicate that use of home-made masks are effective in significantly slowing the spread of the virus.

If the conclusions of Howard and Thomas are correct, universal use use of home-made masks may be a key action that we as a society need to take to slow the pandemic and help us get back to work after the peak has passed.

It is possible that the Howard and Thomas have missed important considerations, so the ideas they present need to be fully vetted, and broadly discussed. Hopefully people with the right knowledge set will see this video and help insure the validity of its conclusions.

I have never before widely shared a YouTube video of this type, but I intend to share this one with all of my family and acquaintances, and I encourage you to do so too. The things that we can do as individuals to help deal with the crisis seem limited, but if we act as a group, we can make a difference. Sharing and pointing out the possible importance of the concepts in this video might be the one thing that I can do that really makes a difference right now. If a consensus that we can and will work together to help ourselves develops, then we can start making masks and perhaps change the course of history. Do your part.

Many thanks to Evan for sharing this video with us originally.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:30 AM   #654
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair S View Post
do think the antibody test comes with some risks as well.

If you find you had already had Covid-19, what does that mean in terms of isolation and social distancing?
It doesn't mean you're necessarily immune. There are studies showing reinfections have happened in Japan. Until they know for sure it just means "maybe" you're less likely to get it again, which means you potentially could be reinfected the next day after you think you're "better", or see you've got the antibodies present - and the 14 days starts over.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:35 AM   #655
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
These are from the worldometer, my question is did I type in the wrong numbers. So far such data is a decent representation of the curve because they are successfully predicting future numbers.
It would be better to reference only deaths, because it's the only data we have that is roughly relative to world data.

We're only testing people *after* they show symptoms or are seriously ill, or... are fabulously wealthy. Our numbers for cases has to be very low compared to most data, particularly Korea and Japan, China in 1st tier cities.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:53 AM   #656
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post

The current practice of only testing people that are symptomatic seems counterproductive to me. I don't worry about people showing symptoms. I just assume they've got it. It's the asymptomatic guy that scares the shit out of me. "I feel great, so I think I'll just go walk around the grocery store..."
It's insane testing is not being prioritized in the states unless you're "special". Until CONTACT TRACING happens nothing changes.

CONTACT TRACING should be in every other sentence coming out of Fauci's mouth, it should be the topic of discussion - as it was in Korea and to a degree in parts of Germany.

The U.S. stance right now is literally "hold my beer".
Old 03-26-2020, 08:57 AM   #657
domzy

Quote:
I would not for instance point to moron videos that are playing down the seriousness of the pandemic
I would say that referring to Italy (in the only time he references the country) as "experiencing some rather nice consequences of the virus" - ie. that the waters of Venice's canals are clearer - is quite moronic, not to mention playing down the seriousness, but maybe that's just me.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:32 AM   #658
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
I would say that referring to Italy (in the only time he references the country) as "experiencing some rather nice consequences of the virus" - ie. that the waters of Venice's canals are clearer - is quite moronic, not to mention playing down the seriousness, but maybe that's just me.
Pff, I'm having to defend this YT video link again!
Actually he said "Italy a country that is currently feeling the full force of this pandemic" before mentioning the canals cleaning up - and this was after the estimates that many times more lives will be saved from the reduced pollution of the environment in China (77k lives already according to estimates) than will have been killed by the virus.
https://youtu.be/aALZFDg0TfY?t=834
And source:
http://www.g-feed.com/2020/03/covid-...-activity.html

The general tone should not offend anyone (note the current 26K+ likes and the relative hundreds of complaints at time of writing).
At no point does he make light of the situation. the viewpoint expressed were well balanced.

Note his pinned post in the comment section "I know this may anger some people but just try hearing what I have to say first. My sympathies are with everyone and their families who are struggling with this evil killer at this deeply upsetting time. I wish everyone good health and spirits. We will get through this as a global community and we will be forever stronger for it."

I think the title is a bit clickbait tastic (and this is what could cause offence) but it is actually correct.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:55 PM   #659
Bevosss

At 8pm GMT:

Country Total New cases/deaths

China 81,125 +67|6
USA 80,854 +12,643|124
Italy 80,589 +6203|712

Last edited by Bevosss; 03-26-2020 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:26 PM   #660
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
you don't have to defend it, but you choose to. People are allowed to make up their own minds i guess.
Basically, i'm familiar with this chap (unfortunately) and he offends me. I'd rather you didn't give him publicity to be honest. I thoroughly dislike the smarmy way he sucks up to the Boris / Trump supporting conservatives with his cretinous drivel in order to make a living on youtube.
I know we're not supposed to be politicising this thread so feel free to get the moderators to delete my posts.
I'm not familiar with enough of his videos to have detected anything you are on about here - this particular video was not political. Not even aware of any political bias in the videos I have seen from his channel, which isn't many - it wouldn't matter here anyway.
I've never asked mods to delete other users posts, not going to start now.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #661
Bevosss

The US officially has the most total cases now

81, 864 +13,653|+146

NY is 37,738

Still 3+ hours to go until GMT 0:00, they may hit 15K new cases
Old 03-26-2020, 03:59 PM   #662
Bevosss

Old 03-26-2020, 04:19 PM   #663
nightscope

ns
Old 03-26-2020, 05:45 PM   #664
Timothy Lawler

Thanks for this, tspring.
Quote:
...I have never before widely shared a YouTube video of this type...
Old 03-26-2020, 08:00 PM   #665
Bevosss

The completed table for yesterday (Mar 26 GMT time):

Last edited by Bevosss; 03-26-2020 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:29 AM   #666
nightscope

Decent article on the hunt for a vaccine.

'It’s a razor’s edge we’re walking': inside the race to develop a coronavirus vaccine.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ccine-covid-19

ns
Old 03-27-2020, 03:52 AM   #667
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post

#masks4all
That was excellent, cheers.

The document outlining the Czech Republics grassroots campaign to make homemade masks for everybody is well worth reading

https://tiny.cc/masks4all

Quote:
In the Czech Republic, masks have been compulsory since March 18th. The country has only 2 deaths (as at March 24) and the growth of new cases has flattened, whereas in other parts of Europe the pandemic is largely out of control. How has this happened? One of the key reasons is a massive country-wide community initiative to create and wear home-made masks. In just 10 days the country went from no mask usage to nearly 100% usage, with nearly all the masks made at home with easily accessible materials, like old t-shirts. See https://tiny.cc/masks4all

In S Korea, Japan, and Taiwan, there is no lock-down. Yet covid-19 is being controlled in these countries. How has this happened? One of the key reasons is that mask wearing in public is ubiquitous and socially expected.

We (with our community) have compiled 33 scientific research papers showing the effectiveness of masks at combating covid-19 transmission, including home-made masks

Quote:
As the shortage of masks provided by the government continued, hospitals reached out on social media and asked if people may be able to sew a few masks for them because they were running low. In an unprecedented show of support, many people started making masks, not just for the hospitals but for everybody.

The effort was both individual - people making masks by hand sewing or on a sewing machine at home, and organizational - theaters, non-profit organizations, small business and factories which normally produce clothes, linens, accessories redirected their efforts into full-time sewing.

Local companies were sewing in bulk, supplying hospitals, senior citizen homes, the police or firemen. Masks were delivered to hospitals or to friends and neighbors who would often find them in their mailboxes. In some areas, people created “mask trees” where they would put available extra masks that were up for grabs for others.

There was a surge of YouTube and written tutorials on how to make a good face mask, including tips like which materials to use, how to make them fit etc. Celebrities started showing off their home-made masks and popular singers recorded a song about masks emphasizing the message that it’s about being responsible towards others and not spreading the virus.

A number of websites popped up which coordinated sewing and distribution effort. The websites include a map of where they have extra masks and if institutions need masks, they can add themselves to the map with their needs. Facebook group “Czechia Sews Masks” has 33 000 members and contains tips and tricks on how to make the mask as well as pictures of all the masks that were created as part of this effort.

As more and more people took to the streets and social media with masks, on March 17 at the daily government press briefing, all members were wearing masks. On March 18 the government announced it was compulsory to wear something covering a part of your mouth and nose when leaving your residence - such as a home-made mask or a scarf. One hypothesis about why the government waited this long to do this is that it would be extremely unpopular to mandate masks if they were not able to supply them. Once almost everyone made their own, the directive was much easier to implement.
Edit: they look like they are now tracking somewhat similar to Australia,

1925 cases and 9 deaths.

Quite a few people here are wearing masks now, especially asians. There's no masks available though, I have one left from bushfire season, that has to last me the apocalypse at this rate.

At least toilet paper and paper towels are back in stock now

Last edited by Bevosss; 03-27-2020 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:31 AM   #668
akademie

Yes, here in Czech Republic, we all wear some kind of mask (standard or homemade) for more than a week already. I think that it is a minimum what everybody can do. Also working from home mostly where applicable. No unnecessary walking (basically only to buy food etc. or to/from work).

Please, stay safe.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:32 AM   #669
Bevosss

U.K. PM Boris Johnson Says He Has Tested Positive for Coronavirus

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/....oNn_m_Z4RnZHZ0

Quote:
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has tested positive for coronavirus and is self isolating but will still lead the government's response to the outbreak.

"Over the last 24 hours I have developed mild symptoms and tested positive for coronavirus," Johnson said. "I am now self-isolating, but I will continue to lead the government’s response via video-conference as we fight this virus."
Old 03-27-2020, 05:12 AM   #670
RobertP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
U.K. PM Boris Johnson Says He Has Tested Positive for Coronavirus

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/....oNn_m_Z4RnZHZ0
wonder if he has been tracked for contacts..
Old 03-27-2020, 05:27 AM   #671
Judders

Video showing phone location data from a single beach in Florida during spring break: https://mobile.twitter.com/tectonixg...28347034767361

Just shows how easily diseases can spread far and wide.

A lot of people are angry at the kids who were still partying, but honestly I think with the government downplaying the threat and Florida not shutting beaches or associated businesses the blame lies elsewhere.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:39 AM   #672
Softsynth

Boris, the UK health secretary and the chief medical officer all seem to have the virus now!

Also the first UK doctor has died from this at the ripe age of 76, so quite the hero it seems.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-52040991
Old 03-27-2020, 10:55 AM   #673
peter5992

In the meantime, in Murica, the Greatest Country on Earth.

A 17-year-old who passed away after contracting the novel coronavirus despite not having any previously reported health conditions was denied treatment at a California medical facility over his lack of insurance, according to the mayor.

R Rex Parris, the mayor of Lancaster, California, confirmed the teen’s death in a video posted to YouTube on Wednesday, in which he warned residents to take the global pandemic seriously and practice self-isolation and social distancing measures.

“The Friday before he died, he was healthy,” the mayor said about the teenager. “By Wednesday, he was dead.”

The mayor said the teen “didn’t have insurance, so they did not treat him” when he arrived at an urgent care facility in the area. The medical staff then told the child to go to a local public hospital.

“En route to AV Hospital, he went into cardiac arrest,” the mayor said. “They were able to revive him and keep him alive for about six hours. But by the time he got there, it was too late.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9429946.html
Old 03-27-2020, 11:54 AM   #674
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Yes, here in Czech Republic, we all wear some kind of mask (standard or homemade) for more than a week already.
I've seen only one person in public wearing a mask (aside from myself) here in the south east USA. The last time I went in a grocery store to look at empty shelves - last week.

Maybe it's different today, but I doubt it.

-----------------------------------------------------

So, I just drove around my local area. People hanging out in groups down at the river, walking up and down the sidewalk in pairs, 3 or 4 people together, walking at arms length past others.

Walmart, Lowes parking lot full. People browsing the flowers outside at Lowes like it's just another day. Full parking lot at the Kroger, Publix, Lidl. Traffic is about 75% normal. People walking in and out of stores together, next to others.

No masks.

No social distancing.

In fact, I'd say that in the south east, just because there is a term called "social distancing" there are people that will ignore it, "just because".

CDC has dropped the ball on education.

I hope this isn't what the rest of 'Murica looks like, but I'm quite sure this - the norm is the norm - is typical of most cities in the south east.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:09 PM   #675
Susan G

From Wiktionary:
'Murica ( satirical , humorous , derogatory ) The United States of America as viewed by the stereotypical southerner or conservative.

Is that how it's being used in this thread? I think that would be a shame, assuming the goal is to keep politics out of it.

-Susan
Old 03-27-2020, 12:58 PM   #676
Colox

Man. I posted before, saying things seemed to be lightening up a little bit, in my little pond in the world.

Apparently, the devil heard me. Now 2 days later we are seeing a steep sudden 54% increase of new confirmed cases, and almost the sane increase in deaths.

It's also coming down the age stairs now, younger people getting more affected, some dying. I read a 16 year old french girl died too. 16 y/o. Damn shame.

Last edited by Colox; 03-27-2020 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:27 PM   #677
JohnnyMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G View Post
From Wiktionary:
'Murica ( satirical , humorous , derogatory ) The United States of America as viewed by the stereotypical southerner or conservative.

Is that how it's being used in this thread? I think that would be a shame, assuming the goal is to keep politics out of it.

-Susan
I've only ever seen it used this way, but I could be wrong.
I think it is used by people who are "woke" but feel embarrassed or guilty that the rest of the country is not as "woke" as they are.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:45 PM   #678
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colox View Post
Man. I posted before, saying things seemed to be lightening up a little bit, in my little pond in the world.

Apparently, the devil heard me. Now 2 days later we are seeing a steep sudden 54% increase of new confirmed cases, and almost the sane increase in deaths.

It's also coming down the age stairs now, younger people getting more affected, some dying. I read a 16 year old french girl died too. 16 y/o. Damn shame.
In NYC, 25% of hospitalized cases are under 50. In New York State, 53% of confirmed cases are under 50.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:20 PM   #679
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G View Post
From Wiktionary:

-Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMusic View Post
I've only ever seen it used this way, but I could be wrong.
I think it is used by people who are "woke" but feel embarrassed or guilty that the rest of the country is not as "woke" as they are.
I get the impression in these cases it was being used to poke at feelings of exceptionalism, both national and personal. Feelings of superiority don't tend to offer much protection when introduced to reality, such as a global pandemic.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:46 PM   #680
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMusic View Post
Be well.
You too.
Closed Thread