Old 06-19-2020, 02:09 PM   #1
Dork Lard
Human being with feelings

Default ReAmping just not working - please help ?

Hey guys.
I've looked up all the info available online for how to reamp on Reaper but just can't get it to work, it's driving me mad.

I'm not going through my cab and mics, I'm going through a loadbox. So the correct setup (I asked Radial) is:
DI track on Reaper -> USB interface Output -> (where I'd connect the studio monitors usually) re amp box input -> tube amp -> loadbox -> USB interface Input.

In Reaper, I've created a new track, clicked Record and Record Monitoring. I've dragged the I/O of the DI track to this new track's I/O and went Pre-Fader (Post-FX), I tried disabling the output to the Master track, I've tried Analogue 1/2 and Analogue on "Add new hardware output".

I've also tried sliding the volume on the DI track all the way left and the new track all the way right... none of the conventional stuff's worked. I'm getting signals, and hints the amp is in the loop, but it isn't working. Any idea ???

Last edited by Dork Lard; 06-20-2020 at 04:43 AM.
Dork Lard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:24 PM   #2
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dork Lard View Post
DI track on Reaper -> USB interface -> re amp box input -> tube amp -> loadbox -> USB interface output (where I'd connect the studio monitors usually).
Is that a typo because as written you have an output going to an output. it should be...

DI Track > Interface Output > reamp box input > tube amp > load box > USB interface Input to new track.

Also if using what is normally the main interface output... make sure the new track where the reamped signal is going to, has input monitoring off so it doesn't cause a feedback loop.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:44 AM   #3
Dork Lard

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Is that a typo because as written you have an output going to an output. it should be...

DI Track > Interface Output > reamp box input > tube amp > load box > USB interface Input to new track.

Also if using what is normally the main interface output... make sure the new track where the reamped signal is going to, has input monitoring off so it doesn't cause a feedback loop.
Oh yes indeed, fixed the OP.
Yeah I've tried with Monitoring off as well. Any other ideas ?
Old 06-20-2020, 05:19 AM   #4
Stella645

I've dragged the I/O of the DI track to this new track's I/O and went Pre-Fader (Post-FX)

Why? The DI needs to route to the hardware output (which seems to be the master out in your case) not to the recording track.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 11:29 AM   #5
Dork Lard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
I've dragged the I/O of the DI track to this new track's I/O and went Pre-Fader (Post-FX)

Why? The DI needs to route to the hardware output (which seems to be the master out in your case) not to the recording track.
I just tried again. I'm not understanding one thing: I'll click the DI track's I/O and route the hardware output to Analogue 1 (I only have Analogue 1/2, Analogue 1, Analogue 2). Pre-Fader (Post-FX). I'll also disable the Master send on the DI track, as per instructions.

But then what ? I've tried a bunch of things, none have worked.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:16 AM   #6
Stella645

I think you need to determine where the signal is getting lost.....is it on the send to hardware or on the return to DAW.

Is there any kind of indication on the re-amp box that it receives signal?

If not solo and turn down the DI track, reconnect the speaker to output 1 and raise the level of the DI track to see if it's coming out that output with your current routing.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:20 AM   #7
beingmf

Could it be related to Reaper's internal feedback suppression, as there's only 2 channels, which are used for monitoring AND reamping

EDIT: are you using stereo channels and pan or dedicated mono channels for send and listen-back?
Old 06-21-2020, 03:46 AM   #8
Dork Lard

Quote:
I think you need to determine where the signal is getting lost.....is it on the send to hardware or on the return to DAW.

Is there any kind of indication on the re-amp box that it receives signal?

If not solo and turn down the DI track, reconnect the speaker to output 1 and raise the level of the DI track to see if it's coming out that output with your current routing.
Oh yes there is indication on the re-amp box receiving signal. When I had the DI track sending out to another track, if I raised the level on the reamp box I'd get this loud feedback noise (when Monitoring was on).

Here's the basic picture with the I/O of the DI Track selected:

I'm not sure whether the track is Stereo or Mono, but I have tried panning the DI track hard left and the receive track hard right as to avoid conflict during re amping.

But I mean: where should I send the Audio Hardware Output to ? I've only got options for Analogue 1/ Analogue or Analogue 1 or Analogue 2. And then what, on what track does the re amp recording take place if I'm not supposed to send out to another track ?
Old 06-21-2020, 04:00 AM   #9
Stella645

If you have signal showing on the reamp then you are routing correctly to the reamp chain. Don't change anything.

Also don't pan anything. You're sending to one channel, there is no panning with a single channel.

On the re-amp track set input to the interface input you have connected the reamp chain back into and record it.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:41 AM   #10
beingmf

Quote:
I've only got options for Analogue 1/ Analogue or Analogue 1 or Analogue 2. And then what, on what track does the re amp recording take place if I'm not supposed to send out to another track ?
Choose only 1 channel (Analogue 1) for the send.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:04 AM   #11
Dork Lard

Quote:
If you have signal showing on the reamp then you are routing correctly to the reamp chain. Don't change anything.

Also don't pan anything. You're sending to one channel, there is no panning with a single channel.

On the re-amp track set input to the interface input you have connected the reamp chain back into and record it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Choose only 1 channel (Analogue 1) for the send.
If I set the DI Track to Analogue 1 then I can only hear the gtr on the left side of the headphones. If I set it to Analogue 1/Analogue 2 I hear on both sides. Which is Mono, which is Stereo ? a bit confusing.

If I just create a track and click Monitoring on, I can immediately hear the signal from the reamp and amp, I know it's both these devices because when I play with the gain/volume levels of the re amp box or the amp, I can hear the changes on the track.

However. I can not for the life of me get this to actually work. I've tried DI Track Output set to Analogue 1, (tried Analogue 1/2 and Analogue 2 as well all on Pre-Fader (Post FX) ), and the Re Amp Track Input set to Analogue 1 also. I tried the opposite: Analogue 2 for the Re Amp.

Re Amp Track:

What am I missing here ??....
Old 06-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #12
Stella645

You have got the interface sat in front of you. You know what ins and outs you are connected too.

If you are coming out of analogue 1 (maybe called Left) and going in to analogue 1 then that is what you must set as in and out in Reaper.

You say you turn monitoring on in a track and can hear changes made in the reamp.

So what isn't working.....that IS it working??
Old 06-23-2020, 06:01 AM   #13
Dork Lard

Quote:
You have got the interface sat in front of you. You know what ins and outs you are connected too.

If you are coming out of analogue 1 (maybe called Left) and going in to analogue 1 then that is what you must set as in and out in Reaper.

You say you turn monitoring on in a track and can hear changes made in the reamp.

So what isn't working.....that IS it working??
Man seriously, I don't know what to say.

Here, I made this:
https://youtu.be/Fph3KeVRsfk

You can see the signal showing on the Re Amp track (which isn't routed to any track or has any sends or anything btw yeah). But the track just isn't recording, no matter what I do. I tried opening up a new session and trying there. Just won't record the amp.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:21 AM   #14
Stella645

Take the video off private and I'll take a look
Old 06-23-2020, 06:33 AM   #15
Dork Lard

Quote:
Take the video off private and I'll take a look
oh haha my bad. "Unlisted" was what I was looking for.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:04 AM   #16
Stella645

The signal on the reamp track starts coming through before you play the track so what is that signal?

And can you confirm how you set the input of the reamp track.

Also the pre fader/FX thing....is there a reason you're doing that...do you actually have FX on the track?
Old 06-23-2020, 02:02 PM   #17
Dork Lard

Quote:
The signal on the reamp track starts coming through before you play the track so what is that signal?

And can you confirm how you set the input of the reamp track.

Also the pre fader/FX thing....is there a reason you're doing that...do you actually have FX on the track?
thx for responding.

The signal I'm getting is when I click "Monitoring On" on any track I create, doesn't have to be routed to anything, just any new track I create, and it's the signal from the tube amp and reamp box - if I play with the gain levels of both those, the signal changes. So I know it's the raw signal from the amp and reamp box.

I did not set the input of the Re amp track, so it is by default set to Analogue 1 (which btw in my case, Analogue 1 is the amp loadbox into the input of my USB interface by XLR).

Pre fader Post-FX is what I've seen done on every single Reamp tutorial for Reaper, so I just applied blindly.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:07 PM   #18
karbomusic

Quote:
The signal I'm getting is when I click "Monitoring On" on any track I create, doesn't have to be routed to anything, just any new track I create, and it's the signal from the tube amp and reamp box - if I play with the gain levels of both those, the signal changes. So I know it's the raw signal from the amp and reamp box.
Then just hit the record button on tranport and you are re-amping. You don't need to leave monitoring on, as you see with record arm engaged the meters will still move and you are good to go, it will record what is incoming. If those meters on the track are moving and it's the signal you just explained it should record that.

I see you said it won't record.... Now if you had record set to only record within time selection, that could make it look like it's not recording but it would show up as soon as you hit stop, even if outside the time selection.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:45 PM   #19
Dork Lard

I've written to Reaper about this. There's definitely a problem. I've been doing everything described in these posts here, on other older threads, on YouTube tutorials specific to Reaper. There's obviously a problem. It might be linked to the fact I only have the Analogue 1/2, Analogue 1, Analogue 2 hardware outputs to add, I've noticed others have a whole list there. None of those Analogue outputs might be the right output for re amping to work in my setup.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #20
karbomusic

Quote:
I've written to Reaper about this. There's definitely a problem. I've been doing everything described in these posts here, on other older threads, on YouTube tutorials specific to Reaper. There's obviously a problem. It might be linked to the fact I only have the Analogue 1/2, Analogue 1, Analogue 2 hardware outputs to add, I've noticed others have a whole list there. None of those Analogue outputs might be the right output for re amping to work in my setup.
Any chance you can use something like licecap or other video type capture program and show us a track that is record armed, with no FX loaded and the meters moving from the incoming signal and not actual wav being recorded?

There has to be something we don't know here because if an incoming external signal is moving that track meter, clicking record in transport will record it.

Also make sure you right-click the record arm button and confirm "Record (Audio or MIDI) is checked like this:

Old 06-27-2020, 03:15 PM   #21
Dork Lard

karbomusic
I'm sorry for the delay but I've been so busy and am a bit demoralized with this re amp thing atm tbh. I really appreciate your help. I'll try to download some recording software and post a video soon.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:40 AM   #22
Dork Lard

Alright Karbo, here it is.
https://youtu.be/IOSof79uF84

Tell me what you think.
(Note: same result when I click Master send On, or Off on the DI track).
Old 06-30-2020, 05:55 AM   #23
beingmf

You routed to Analogue 1, but plugged the Reamp box into Analogue 2!
Old 06-30-2020, 06:23 AM   #24
Stella645

Yep....as I said 8 days ago, you got the interface there in front of you, route to the same output and input you connected the reamp chain to.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:10 AM   #25
Dork Lard

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
You routed to Analogue 1, but plugged the Reamp box into Analogue 2!
Oh you mean when I plugged the Re Amp box at the back of the Interface in the Outputs ? I tried with 1 or 2, exact same thing. Nothing.

Quote:
Yep....as I said 8 days ago, you got the interface there in front of you, route to the same output and input you connected the reamp chain to.
What does that mean in actual application ? Click Hardware Output Analogue 1, then plug the Re Amp box into Output no.1 of the USB interface ? Done, doesn't work.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:56 AM   #26
beingmf

-----

Last edited by beingmf; 07-04-2020 at 07:32 AM.
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:40 AM   #27
Stella645

I would go a stage further than beingmf to remove extra places where things may go wrong.

Connect a cable direct from out 1 to in 1. Set DI track hardware out to out 1. Set reamp track input to In 1.

If recording of this works then there is no problem in Reaper or in your interface.
If not try another cable.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:26 AM   #28
beingmf

-----

Last edited by beingmf; 07-04-2020 at 07:32 AM.
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:05 PM   #29
Dork Lard

Thank you both. I really appreciate the effort you've put in this.

It just dawned on me, it might be something specific with the audient iD14 interface. I'm in contact with them atm. I just didn't think the interface would have a specific method for re amping vs all the other interfaces.

Anyways I did what Stella645 suggested:
https://youtu.be/VN3dNeD00p0

Thanks again, both of you and to the people earlier in the thread.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:50 PM   #30
numberthirty

Hey, Dork Lard...

If you go through this article/thread, does anything stick out that feels like what you are running into?

https://audient.com/tutorial/reamping/

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-...ient-id44.html
numberthirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:26 AM   #31
Dork Lard

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
Hey, Dork Lard...

If you go through this article/thread, does anything stick out that feels like what you are running into?

https://audient.com/tutorial/reamping/

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-...ient-id44.html
Thanks for that. I can't believe how much time I've spent on this, it's starting to become fkng depressing, I want to just throw that re amp box out the window. EVERYTHING ppl have thrown my way, the audient ppl included, has had the exact same result. I'm going to make yet another video and send it to the audient guy, he's telling me now about faders 1+2 and faders 3+4 and routing to 3/4 on the DAW, others with the SAME interface are saying different things, this is complicated as shit seriously gah.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:51 AM   #32
numberthirty

Just to ask about this...

I noticed that you said something like "Hints at that the amp is in the loop..." about the signal.

Have you actually tried just zoning in on the first part of the path?

If you just take something like -

- DI track you have already recorded

to

- The L/R hardware outputs(Straight To Them Playing The Mix That Would Go To The Headphones...)

to

- The Reamp Box

to

- some sort of a small practice amp

Are you getting signal that will actually make it out to the amp?

That might be where I would start if it was me.

Last edited by numberthirty; 07-04-2020 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:28 AM   #33
numberthirty

Quote:
If I set the DI Track to Analogue 1 then I can only hear the gtr on the left side of the headphones. If I set it to Analogue 1/Analogue 2 I hear on both sides. Which is Mono, which is Stereo ? a bit confusing.

As for this specific issue -

Take a look at this YouTube video(about 9:30...) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjqn_UGmenQ

What he is discussing there. Are you up to speed on that? Apologies if you are, but it feels something like what you are describing.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:00 AM   #34
numberthirty

One other thing I might try just to try it...

The Audient's volume going to the outputs. Have you tried turning it up/down to see if it is controlling the signal heading out of the outputs in a fashion that would seem to match up to turning the knob up/turning the knob down?

If that isn't roughly matching up, you could have some sort of a problem.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:30 AM   #35
Stella645

Quote:
Thank you both. I really appreciate the effort you've put in this.

It just dawned on me, it might be something specific with the audient iD14 interface. I'm in contact with them atm. I just didn't think the interface would have a specific method for re amping vs all the other interfaces.

Anyways I did what Stella645 suggested:
https://youtu.be/VN3dNeD00p0

Thanks again, both of you and to the people earlier in the thread.
You really shouldn't feed line level into mic pre which is what you're doing by using the xlr input.
This should be a jack cable connection, line out to line in.

1. Connect with the correct cable.

2. As you were doing before, disable the send to master/parent on the DI track.

3. Put Reaper on a loop and play back the DI, then open the Audient iD14 mixer panel and show all channel types and screencap to show us which meters are moving.

4. If no meters are moving either turn up the iD14 volume or to be sure you can set it in system to DAW Thru instead of Main Mix. WARNING - This bypasses volume control so make sure to reset before you re-connect monitors or you'll blow your head off.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:54 AM   #36
Dork Lard

Thanks to both of you guys. I got utterly disgusted with trying and failing so I just couldn't bring myself to trying again, so sorry for the delay.

numberthirty I have no practice amp.

Quote:
You really shouldn't feed line level into mic pre which is what you're doing by using the xlr input.
This should be a jack cable connection, line out to line in.
I just want to make sure I got this correctly: are you saying I should use a regular 1/4' to go from the amp/loadbox into the interface input ?
Old 07-13-2020, 06:41 AM   #37
Dork Lard

OK it works. Apparently had to go to the Master I/O page on Reaper, and send the master output to 3/4, while doing a number of things on the audient interface window.

It works, however I'm unsure that is my cleanest tone with the amp. Sounds about right.
THANKS for all the help here.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:15 AM   #38
Stella645

Quote:

are you saying I should use a regular 1/4' to go from the amp/loadbox into the interface input ?
No, you were connecting Audient out to Audient input direct with cable when I mentioned you were using wrong connection.

What level does the loadbox output....the manual should tell you if you should feed that in to line or mic level.

Good to hear you got it working in the end.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:49 AM   #39
ashcat_lt

Quote:
...if you should feed that in to line or mic level.
At worst it’ll be about 6db I’d gain. If that’s actually too much, balanced TRS would be better, but TS will probably work well enough.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:56 AM   #40
serr

Sanity check time.

There shouldn't be anything cryptically touchy with re-amping.
Send that DI signal (or whatever the signal in question is) to an output.
Connect a passive DI in reverse or use one of those fancy re-amp boxes.
Give a good signal to the amp. Maybe start with a fader at -10 or so and bring it up to avoid sudden level surprises. Bring the level up until your amp is responding how you expect.
Dial the sound in and record it.

The sound dialing should be within what your amp can do. I don't want to dis on the fancy re-amp boxes but there isn't anything cryptic here. There isn't some obscure boutique re-amp box that will suddenly deliver an otherwise unobtainable tone. Or... If you think there is and can point to said results from something, then fair enough! In my experience the signal handling isn't this fussy. Plug back into your gtr amp reverse way through a passive DI box, mind the level, and dial up your amp sound.

Now, if it's the amp sound in question that "just doesn't work", well that's fair enough too! I pull up the amp sims when that happens.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote