Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-23-2020, 07:39 AM   #1
Remedial
Human being with feelings

Default Dynamic EQ on folder track using main signal in detector circuit along with sidechain

So, here’s my dilemmma. I created a folder track to use as a bus, which I normally use as my bus method. So, I then put a Wavesfactory’s Trackapacer on the folder track with the intent of using it as a dynamic EQ being fed from a sidechain source that is obtained from a send track being received at inputs 3 and 4.

For some reason, Trackspacer is using the sub tracks as an input for the detector circuit, which it doesn’t do when I place trackspacer on a normal track, even when using the same settings as I did on the folder track, which basically are just the default settings that Trackspacer populates with when you already have a send going to the track at inputs 3 and 4. In that instance, Trackspacer doesn’t use the main signal within the detector circuit, instead using just the sidechain.

So, my question is: Is this due to the routing of parent folder tracks, which I assume must be each sub track being received as a send that has the master send disabled? Even if my assumption is wrong, is there any kind of workaround in order to get Trackspacer to ignore the main signal within its detector circuit when placed on a folder track?

If not, is there another bus method I can use that won’t have this idiosyncratic behavior?

Thanks guys.
Remedial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:37 AM   #2
poetnprophet

whenever you put anything anywhere with the intent to sidechain/key the source to the processor, you usually have to set the processor to the right detector (main, sidechain). Are you doing that? If you are not, the default detector is main. If you are, and you're still getting the detector on 1/2, I'd look at your FX pin routing where you can manually override ins/outs, both at the child (sub) track and the folder track.

Also, make sure you don't have anything else being sent to 3/4 on any other child tracks within that folder (that you don't want detected). Those signals all roll up into the parent track as well automatically.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #3
Remedial

First, thank you poetnprophet for replying. With Trackspacer, it automatically sets itself to utilize the sidechain once it is placed on the track.

In stuff like Ozone Dynamic EQ, you have to go in and make sure the proper channels are ticked for your sidechain (whether you're using 3/4, 5/6, etc..) and then have to select sidechain on the input for the EQ node that you're editing. But for Trackspacer, there's no need to do that. Automatically it looks for the sideachain. Here's a video of it being used within Reaper that's included in Trackspacer manual that shows exactly how it works:

https://youtu.be/rDa-ydf1P3U

I think you might be spot on with what you recommend in the second paragraph. I do have the signal of the primary track being sent to 3/4 on a delay track, both of which are then being sent to the parent folder. I'll change that to 1/2 or 5/6 and see if that alleviates my problem. But, also, that begs the question: If I did send the primary track to 1/2 on the delay track, wouldn't the primary track then be doubled when I create a parent folder track, thus increasing it's volume unnecessarily? Would it be safer to just send it to 3/4, 5/6, etc., to avoid this happening?

Thanks a lot. I think you might have saved me some considerable time.

Thank you good sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
whenever you put anything anywhere with the intent to sidechain/key the source to the processor, you usually have to set the processor to the right detector (main, sidechain). Are you doing that? If you are not, the default detector is main. If you are, and you're still getting the detector on 1/2, I'd look at your FX pin routing where you can manually override ins/outs, both at the child (sub) track and the folder track.

Also, make sure you don't have anything else being sent to 3/4 on any other child tracks within that folder (that you don't want detected). Those signals all roll up into the parent track as well automatically.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:42 AM   #4
poetnprophet

If you are sending from the primary to a delay FX, that delay FX track should be 100% wet, in which it will not double the source signal. The return signal from the delay FX track will only be the delayed signal to the parent track. The primary track will still have the source signal to the parent track.

If you do not have a 100% wet mix for the delay track (or ANY return FX track like reverb, parallel compression, etc) then yes you would have more source signal in the parent track.

hope that helps!
Old 07-23-2020, 11:46 AM   #5
ashcat_lt

1. If the output of the delay is going to 1/2, then it doesn’t much matter where its input comes from. It probably wants to be 100% wet either way.

B. I made a JS plugin that you can drop at the end of an FX chain (or anywhere really) to automagically mute all channels except the main stereo 1/2, mostly just for this kind of thing.
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/39102/LT_sidechainstripper
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:17 AM   #6
Remedial

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
If you are sending from the primary to a delay FX, that delay FX track should be 100% wet, in which it will not double the source signal. The return signal from the delay FX track will only be the delayed signal to the parent track. The primary track will still have the source signal to the parent track.

If you do not have a 100% wet mix for the delay track (or ANY return FX track like reverb, parallel compression, etc) then yes you would have more source signal in the parent track.

hope that helps!
Definitely helps! And, I did try the advice you gave me above and it worked. Changing the input to another channel other than 3/4 got rid of the issue.

Thanks a million for that.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:21 AM   #7
Remedial

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
1. If the output of the delay is going to 1/2, then it doesn’t much matter where its input comes from. It probably wants to be 100% wet either way.

B. I made a JS plugin that you can drop at the end of an FX chain (or anywhere really) to automagically mute all channels except the main stereo 1/2, mostly just for this kind of thing.
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/39102/LT_sidechainstripper
Thank you. I'll try it. Thanks for the effort.

One thing I'll say, as modular as Reapers input/output system is, I do miss having the simplicity of an Ableton or Logic where you have a drop down list where you can select which signal to use as the sidechain. Reaper's setup DOES allow you to use as many inputs as you'd like for the sidechain (correct me if I'm wrong) but it can be daunting at times.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:41 AM   #8
poetnprophet

Glad you got it figured out!

Regarding the routing, it does get easier the more you do it, and if you ever go back to another daw you will probably wish you had the flexibility of Reaper. I come from Cakewalk so I get the rather linear approach to assigning ins/outs, but I promise it does get more intuitive with Reaper the more you use it.