Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 10-15-2020, 05:21 AM   #1
Meo-Ada Mespotine
Human being with feelings

Default API: get_action_context_osc-function for getting sent osc-message

get_action_context allows us getting MIDI-values(like velocity) so we know, with which velocity MIDI was sent to the script.

I would propose a similar thing for OSC, where I could get the actual OSC-message sent to the ReaScript via a dedicated function reaper.get_action_context_osc()

This way, we could have different OSC-messages sent to a ReaScript and the script reacts to the different messages differently.
So it's possible to have different use-case-contexts for one script.

It would also be cool, if it's possible to set the val-returnvalue of get_action_context somehow via OSC.
It's possible with the OscLocalMessageToHost-function but I don't know, if there's any other way to set it via other OSC-messages as well.

This way, we could send a message like "Ultraschall/DeleteMarker/(optional XXX)" and have the (optional XXX) being the marker-number to delete.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:17 AM   #2
Florian.S

Plus 1 for this.

Would be a massive bost in power of using osc with reaper.
Multiple arguments would be nice for setting different parameters like (name / pos / color) of something with one command.
Florian.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:57 AM   #3
mschnell

Seems like a involuntary shortcoming or a bug, as this does work fine with ControlPath Messages derived from Midi messages.
Hence ControlPath Messages derived from OSC messages should work exactly the same.

I tried to use the Web Browser Interface feature of reapers to remote-control a live setup that relies on homebrew scripts, e.g. for switching complex instrument patches.
This failed for two issues I was not able to resolve - at least not working together.

(1) send back a message including a parameter (value) from the Browser GUI to Reaper.
(2) have the script fetch this value.

I already pointed this out in some other forum thread.

Hence a full +1 for this request.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote