Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-21-2020, 12:58 PM   #1
Powermac
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper on two computers & plugin organization

I have just purchased 2 desktop computers. One is for my bands studio and one is for my home. The idea is to record at the studio with some mixing and then bring my external SSD home to continue mixing on the 2nd computer.

I've attempted to do this with two older computers, but always ran into the problem of certain plugins not being recognized on one computer or the other even though the plugins were loaded on both computers. I've been told that where I place my plugins is the issue.

Anyway, I'm hoping that some of you might chime in on how to setup/direct my plugin paths so that both computers will recognize plugins used on either computer with my external SSD. Obviously I will be placing the plugins on both C drives.

I've searched Kenny's videos for some direction, but can't find anything that addresses this.

Thanks in advance.
Powermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:19 PM   #2
domzy

if you've got reaper & the plugins on both computers, you just need to make sure that the relevant plugin path is in Reaper's preferences, the location shouldn't matter as long as each Reaper is seeing it's plugins locally,
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
Powermac

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
if you've got reaper & the plugins on both computers, you just need to make sure that the relevant plugin path is in Reaper's preferences, the location shouldn't matter as long as each Reaper is seeing it's plugins locally,
I've tried every which way to get the two old computers to coincide, but Always have issues with the home computer seeing certain plugins even though they are loaded.

For instance: I have the Waves Schepps Omni channel loaded on a bunch of tracks with different values. They are always recognized on the main computer where I'm doing most of the work, but when I move the External SSD to the other computer there are several tracks that don't recognize the plugin while several other tracks do. Even trying to reload the plugin doesn't work.

I know that when I go to preferences/VST that a note below the path bar states that "if multiple plugins are scanned with the same dll name only one will be available."
Old 11-21-2020, 02:20 PM   #4
domzy

maybe you have a mixture of 32 bit / 64 bit &/or VST2 / VST3 going on?
Old 11-21-2020, 03:07 PM   #5
Powermac

Quote:
maybe you have a mixture of 32 bit / 64 bit &/or VST2 / VST3 going on?
I probably do since I started working on this song before I somewhat knew how to handle Reaper, and I'm still learning.

Why would it make a difference if the bit rate was different? I have the same plugins loaded on both machines.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:29 PM   #6
domzy

if you have two versions of a plugin with the same name, then the order of your list of plugin destinations comes into play, as you noted in post 3.
You may have 2 formats of the same-named plugin installed on each computer, but the order of the paths might dictate that different formats are seen on each machine.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:47 PM   #7
Powermac

Quote:
if you have two versions of a plugin with the same name, then the order of your list of plugin destinations comes into play, as you noted in post 3.
You may have 2 formats of the same-named plugin installed on each computer, but the order of the paths might dictate that different formats are seen on each machine.
Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.

How do I rectify that? And is there a specific formula for the proper paths when I begin loading everything new (Reaper/plugins) on the two new computers? I just want to make sure I don't screw up, again.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:07 PM   #8
domzy

if that is the issue, it might be difficult to ensure that all your previous projects are compatible with both machines, but maybe try changing the order of the entries in the path list & you may get lucky.
Going forward, you probably need to decide on your preferred format (for plugins that give you several)
If your computers have 64 bit OS then try & use 64 bit plugins.
VST3 is the new standard - VST2 is being phased out
Old 11-21-2020, 04:35 PM   #9
Dr Bob

VST3's are unlike to give too many problems as they should always be installed in a vendor preferred place ... in windows it's

64-bit vst3's go in:
C:\program files\common files\vst3

32-bit vst3's go in:
C:\program files (x86)\common files\vst3

If you are starting from scratch, try to use only 64-bit as mentioned before. But, start with a fresh take on your vst2 location.

[I've said before ... yawn] I do it like this, but you can setup your own structures.

c:\vst\64-bit\ and c:\vst\32-bit\

Then I either tell the vst installer to put the vst's in the right folder or, in some cases, simply copy the .dll file to the correct vst folder.

It means my reaper vst path is simple and easy to replicate across computers.

Obviously you need to make sure that licenced vst's have all the appropriate licence files in their right places on each computer. I accept this is sometimes a bit of black magic and sorcery!

HTH

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:49 PM   #10
Powermac

Quote:
if that is the issue, it might be difficult to ensure that all your previous projects are compatible with both machines, but maybe try changing the order of the entries in the path list & you may get lucky.
Going forward, you probably need to decide on your preferred format (for plugins that give you several)
If your computers have 64 bit OS then try & use 64 bit plugins.
VST3 is the new standard - VST2 is being phased out
Yeah, I figured the previous projects would be an issue at this point. I'm going to take your advice on the two fresh installs and install only 64 bit.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:58 PM   #11
Powermac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
VST3's are unlike to give too many problems as they should always be installed in a vendor preferred place ... in windows it's

64-bit vst3's go in:
C:\program files\common files\vst3

32-bit vst3's go in:
C:\program files (x86)\common files\vst3

If you are starting from scratch, try to use only 64-bit as mentioned before. But, start with a fresh take on your vst2 location.

[I've said before ... yawn] I do it like this, but you can setup your own structures.

c:\vst\64-bit\ and c:\vst\32-bit\

Then I either tell the vst installer to put the vst's in the right folder or, in some cases, simply copy the .dll file to the correct vst folder.

It means my reaper vst path is simple and easy to replicate across computers.

Obviously you need to make sure that licenced vst's have all the appropriate licence files in their right places on each computer. I accept this is sometimes a bit of black magic and sorcery!

HTH

dB
Thanks for the info, but have a stupid question...

When I create the folders you mentioned (going 64 bit on the fresh installs) Do they need to be in a specific place on both computers in order to read the plugins properly? I understand the folder principle you mentioned, but wondering if they need to be placed a certain way so that no issues occur?

Sorry for being a novice at this.