Old 11-18-2020, 09:48 PM   #1
Mulberry9
Human being with feelings

Default Time stretching

I have a midi track, and a vocal track, and I would like to slow down the tempo of these tracks together/simultaneously in some areas. But I can't seem to even get tempo stretching to work in the midi track at all, let alone together with the vocal. Please help.
Mulberry9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:00 AM   #2
prester_john

Did you try selecting both items and dragging the edge of one of them while holding alt?

Last edited by prester_john; 11-19-2020 at 12:09 AM.
prester_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:42 AM   #3
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry9 View Post
I have a midi track, and a vocal track, and I would like to slow down the tempo of these tracks together/simultaneously in some areas. But I can't seem to even get tempo stretching to work in the midi track at all, let alone together with the vocal. Please help.
you can also change the bpm
martmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:44 PM   #4
Mulberry9

Default Time stretching

prester_john,
I want to alter the tempo during sections of the piece - not the whole piece.

martmix,
That is what I would like to do - change the bpm for certain sections of the piece.

Still clueless...
Old 11-19-2020, 08:22 PM   #5
domzy

go to the place you want to change the bpm and press shift + c - this should allow you to insert a tempo marker.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:01 AM   #6
Mulberry9

Tried that - it works only on the midi track, and it doesn't show anything - no markers. It didn't do anything to the audio track.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:16 AM   #7
domzy

Quote:
Tried that - it works only on the midi track, and it doesn't show anything - no markers. It didn't do anything to the audio track.
what do you mean it only works on the MIDI track but not the audio?
the action i mentioned should insert a marker on the timeline (after you have set the tempo & pressed "ok")
Do you mean after doing this the MIDI stretches to the new tempo but not the audio? If so, you probably need to check your timebase settings for that track or those items
Old 11-21-2020, 12:18 PM   #8
Mulberry9

Now I'm trying the shift+C on splits in the items (I didn't want to split them because in the midi track when I split, it really does split the note in half, so you hear it twice... can anybody explain/help with that?) -this seems to work. The stretch markers only show up in the audio track and not the midi though. So this works, except that now I have midi notes that have been chopped up and need repairing. "heal" never has worked for me.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:19 PM   #9
Mulberry9

yes I had both tracks selected, and when i shift+C, It changed the tempo in the midi track and not the audio, so they were askew when played back
Old 11-21-2020, 12:20 PM   #10
Mulberry9

what exactly does " you probably need to check your timebase settings for that track or those items" mean?
Old 11-21-2020, 12:56 PM   #11
domzy

Quote:
Now I'm trying the shift+C on splits in the items (I didn't want to split them because in the midi track when I split, it really does split the note in half, so you hear it twice... can anybody explain/help with that?) -this seems to work. The stretch markers only show up in the audio track and not the midi though. So this works, except that now I have midi notes that have been chopped up and need repairing. "heal" never has worked for me.
shift + c should just insert a marker, not split an item (unless you've changed the default shortcuts)?

Quote:
what exactly does " you probably need to check your timebase settings for that track or those items" mean?
The timebase for those parts (that aren't stretching properly) needs to be set to "beats (position,length, rate)" for them to stretch automatically when the tempo changes
Old 11-21-2020, 02:45 PM   #12
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
shift + c should just insert a marker, not split an item (unless you've changed the default shortcuts)?
It isn't too clear, but I suspect what the OP might be saying is that he has split the items before inserting the timebase change, possibly in the mistaken belief that you have to do this?
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:09 PM   #13
domzy

yeah, i re-read that post & see that stretch markers are mentioned - i'm pretty confused about what mulberry is actually doing,
Old 11-21-2020, 03:23 PM   #14
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
To change the timebase, select the items(s) and press F2 to bring up Item Properties and change it there.

Also, don't split the items before inserting a tempo marker (unless you need to split the item anyway for some other reason).
Old 11-21-2020, 04:15 PM   #15
Mulberry9

Hi,
this is very confusing. I don't know how to say what I'm doing any clearer. I have a song. I have a midi track. I have a vocal track. I would like to slow down two sections in the middle of the piece. Since my vocal track was recorded to the midi, they need to stretch at the same times and places, and then go back to the original tempo at the same times and places.
I have tried following the user manual, but the dialog box that pops up does not look like the one the manual refers to. So I have tried every which way to select both tracks (items) and insert stretch markers. No stretch marker however, ever shows up in the midi track. But weirder than that, when I try to stretch using the one that shows up in the vocal track, it does not stretch the vocal track. It only stretches the midi. My piece is now completely messed up. I tried splitting them together, and then stretching the split parts, this worked as far as stretching, but it chopped up my midi track so that notes that should have extended through the split, instead sound again - attack again.
So I don't want to use that method, but nothing else is working.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:20 PM   #16
Mulberry9

"To change the timebase, select the items(s) and press F2 to bring up Item Properties and change it there."
change what? I have no idea what to do in this dialog box. When I click on beats instead of time, The "position" isn't showing my current cursor position. It never asks me what tempo I want. I don't know how many beats I want to change the tempo - I do it by listening and looking at the tracks to see where to place any change. I don't know what anything else in this dialog box does.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:21 PM   #17
Mulberry9

just to try to be more clear: I only tried splitting when nothing else worked. I am still trying to do it without splits.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:26 PM   #18
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
"To change the timebase, select the items(s) and press F2 to bring up Item Properties and change it there."
change what? I have no idea what to do in this dialog box. When I click on beats instead of time, The "position" isn't showing my current cursor position. It never asks me what tempo I want. I don't know how many beats I want to change the tempo - I do it by listening and looking at the tracks to see where to place any change. I don't know what anything else in this dialog box does.
The item properties box has a setting "Item timebase". The dropdown list includes Beats, position, length, which is what you need to change it to. Here you are changing the timebase settings/units that REAPER will be using, not the actual tempo.

Last edited by nicholas; 11-21-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:29 PM   #19
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
I have tried following the user manual, but the dialog box that pops up does not look like the one the manual refers to.
Can you give the chapter/page reference you are referring to, also a screenshot of what you see?

If you don't know how to make a screenshot ...
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=140670
Old 11-21-2020, 04:32 PM   #20
domzy

you have a MIDI track & a vocal track that are in time with each other, are they also in time with the grid / metronome?
If so, then you probably want to apply tempo markers to the timeline, not stretch markers (stretch markers don't apply to MIDI items, they are an audio thing).
Old 11-21-2020, 04:45 PM   #21
Mulberry9

I can't figure out how to paste screenshot here. Copy - paste doesn't work.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:46 PM   #22
Mulberry9

user manual p. 169
Does NOT look like the dialog box I get (which I tried to paste)
Old 11-21-2020, 05:06 PM   #23
nicholas
Scribe

See next post ...

Last edited by nicholas; 11-21-2020 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:47 PM   #24
nicholas
Scribe

Oh wait a minute, page numbers might have changed. Do you mean the picture in section 10.5, Time Stretching? The chapter reference would be helpful.

If so, that is part of the media item properties dialog that you see when you select an item and press F2.

If not this, what are you seeing exactly? If I don't know that, it's difficult to help you.

Last edited by nicholas; 11-21-2020 at 05:59 PM.