Old 11-18-2020, 10:34 AM   #321
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings

looks and sounds amazing, keep up the great work!
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:35 AM   #322
Nantho

To misquote the Pointer Sisters :

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it
I'm about to gain control and I think I like it !
Nantho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:18 AM   #323
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantho View Post
To misquote the Pointer Sisters :

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it
I'm about to gain control and I think I like it !
Thanks Nantho. Really appreciate the enthusiasm. I'm having a friend's company make me a prototype case. I'm finishing the drawings right now so hopefully we'll have a proper case shortly.
siniarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:44 AM   #324
siniarch

Default Screens

Screen 01
As stated before, this would be an FX Bypass/Mix screen

Screen 02
This screen would allow you to control an FX parameter while also letting you toggle from option A or B on another parameter.

Screen 03
This screen would allow you to control 4 parameters depending on whether you have No Modifier/Alt/Shift/Control. And also letting your turn a 5th parameter ON/OFF

Screen 04
This screen would let you change a parameter from an endless number of choices. For example a drop down menu with 10 options. Or a FX presets option. Turn the encoder and cycle through all the options.

Screen 05
This screen let's you turn two parameters ON/OFF

Screen 06
This screen lets you turn three parameters ON/OFF

Screen 07
This screen lets you turn four parameters ON/OFF

Screen 08
Finally, this screen let's you alter 4 parameter without using modifier keys. You press down and you can change parameters. Press down again and you go into alter selected parameter mode. Of course if you introduced modifier keys, you could be able to alter up to 16 parameters with one screen.

Please let me know what you guys think.

And again, remember that we are still cleaning up the fonts on these.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:38 AM   #325
Funkybot

Nice stuff. Have you settled on the idea of combing the bottom 3 LEDs into a colored button like the MFTwister? I think it's worth pursuing and will add another dimension.

Can the screen text be colored?
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:06 AM   #326
Nantho

Oh my ! This thing is getting more and more amazing 🤩
Old 11-21-2020, 09:33 AM   #327
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Nice stuff. Have you settled on the idea of combing the bottom 3 LEDs into a colored button like the MFTwister? I think it's worth pursuing and will add another dimension.

Can the screen text be colored?
Yes. In my earlier designs I had adopted the indicator below, but at some point I took it out. Maybe when I decided to do 18 LEDs instead of the 14 on the MFT. But, its back on by popular demand.

The entire screen is full RGB, so yes, the text can be colored. And currently planning on being able to indicate 2 colors per screen item. This can be done to signify 2 states or for text color/background color. Sort of like the screen from Blackmagic on their new controller. But I haven't decided on that just yet. And might not have those background boxes until later. It doesn't add anything to the use as far as I can tell, so if its adopted, it will be after the unit's release.

As I stated before, I'm not necessarily married to anything as far as features. Its not like I have a huge ego and everything has to be what I designed. I'm trying to make the best FX controller possible. So all good ideas will be investigated. That being said, I am so far along with this design, that it is difficult to change or add major things without having to start over, which im not sure im willing to do. Also, any one idea might be great, but if its cost prohibited as far as costs vs return it will make it difficult to also pursue. As it is, there is nothing out there like it with as many features and options. We'll have to see if the market will bare the costs for such features. What I can tell you is that because of the nature of me being small and nimble, I will be able to do it with minimal profits as opposed to a larger company that won't touch anything that they can't make at least 100% profits on, and most likely 200%+.

I'm hoping it will all work in the end as I've sunk way more capital into this than I intended. Wish me luck.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:02 PM   #328
siniarch

Hope you guys aren't getting sick of my updates:
Here are the screens with the updated texts. Because of the nature of the limited number of pixels on these small size fonts, the idea of a single font that scales as you enlarge or decrease the font doesn't work well. Therefore, we had to program a different font for each size: 8, 9, 10, 12, 20 pixel tall fonts.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:20 AM   #329
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by siniarch View Post
Here are the screens with the updated texts. Because of the nature of the limited number of pixels on these small size fonts, the idea of a single font that scales as you enlarge or decrease the font doesn't work well. Therefore, we had to program a different font for each size: 8, 9, 10, 12, 20 pixel tall fonts.
So glad you did that, when things are that small it's the only way to get something that looks good for all sizes.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:34 AM   #330
Nantho

Nice move indeed !
Old 11-23-2020, 08:27 AM   #331
Nick Morris

Quote:

HUGE IMPROVEMENT! I think this is going to be awesome for Reaper users.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:45 AM   #332
Funkybot

Good stuff! Much clearer.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:07 AM   #333
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
HUGE IMPROVEMENT! I think this is going to be awesome for Reaper users.
It certainly will be great and fully functional for Reaper users thanks to the great work by Geoff and all the contributors of CSI.

But once it's working great on Reaper, the idea will be to port it to other DAWS as well. Making it work with MCU might be the first step, but this would of course limit it to 2 lines of text. But I will work hard to also see how to implement more functionality with other DAWS.

If it were just up to me, I'd just make it work on REAPER and call it a day, but I do think it will have a better chance of success if it's functional on as many DAWS as possible.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:40 PM   #334
siniarch

Hi Everyone,

I just received the shipment of the (24) new Encoder/Oled Modules. These have the smooth encoders and have the 8 screens programmed.

I've had some great talks with Geoff and we are nailing down the communication between the CSI and the controller screens. Getting close. The Ring Lights will be next.

The quotes for cases are rolling in from Manufacturers. Some look promising. In the mean time, I sent out for a fully 3D printed plastic case. I'm tired of working with this 1/2 3D printed, 1/2 cardboard prototype. The new layout will have the screens below the encoders for better visibility.

Also, the button caps came in today and 4 out of 8 buttons get stuck when placing the cap on. Not to worry as I'm ditching these buttons anyway. They are so far the weak link in the the project. But fortunately, I've found another manufacturer with full RGB lights in their buttons and they are also much more robust units.

I was really hoping to have these units done by Christmas, but it's going slower than expected (as usual). I'm hoping to have the 1st prototype fully built and functional by Chirstmas/New Years. Then it will just be a matter of ordering the next units and working on packaging. Getting close.

Last edited by siniarch; 11-30-2020 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:24 PM   #335
Nick Morris

dig it!
Old 12-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #336
siniarch

Default 3D Printed Case

Hi Everyone,

So, yesterday, I received my 1st 3D printed Entire Case. (before I just had a front plate but not the enclosure part) So, spend some time moving from the previous cardboard enclosure to this nicely printed ABS case. It's looking pretty good if I do say so myself.

I did find that one of the cables inside is resting on the RJ45 connector, so I've already made changes to the internal mounting standoffs and that should now be resolved.

I've found 2 companies to make a prototype of the case in aluminum and ordered prototypes. One, which is the one I'd like to use, is basically making a Uni-Body case. Where they carve out the box from a solid piece of aluminum. And they carve out the lid from another piece of aluminum. As you can imagine, this will be much more expensive and also very heavy. It may also prove to be too cost prohibitive. But I ordered it anyway as I couldn't help myself because I wanted to see what it would end up looking like.

The other company has better pricing and it's making the lid with the same process (CNC Milling) but the box is being made more traditionally. Bent sheet metal and welded. In the end, this will most likely be the one I choose.

I've turned the screens around so they are below the encoders and it does make more sense as your hand doesn't block the screen this way. I've yet to have my firmware guy turn the screen display information around, so now it will show upside down on these photos. But this is a quick change that is not an issue.

The encoders are smooth now, so there is no clicking sound.

I'm adding a couple of connector on the back that will make the entire unit more useful. I think people will love it.

The company selling me the control knobs was charging too much for them and they wanted me to pay a little more and order 1000 knobs in order for them to make new ones without the white arrow on top. So I just decided to make custom ones that will fit the size better. (less showing of the encoder shaft below the knob) I have 6 different versions coming this week that are 3D printed so I can choose the one I want and send the 3D file to the manufacturer. They will be slightly more expensive, but they will fit better and with the file, I know I can find many manufacturers that can make it as opposed to being tied to just one.

We are really close to getting the Screens to talk to CSI. Geoff has been tremendous help with this, so a big Thanks to him.

A few tweaks left when the aluminum enclosures come, a redesign of the buttons module as I'm not happy with the current quality of the buttons. And I think we'll be ready for the 1st batch to come out.

In the mean time, I'll start working on the MST and ZONE files. I might need some help with those from some of the usual suspects. So I'll reach out when the time comes.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:10 PM   #337
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

So, yesterday, I received my 1st 3D printed Entire Case. (before I just had a front plate but not the enclosure part) So, spend some time moving from the previous cardboard enclosure to this nicely printed ABS case. It's looking pretty good if I do say so myself.

I did find that one of the cables inside is resting on the RJ45 connector, so I've already made changes to the internal mounting standoffs and that should now be resolved.

I've found 2 companies to make a prototype of the case in aluminum and ordered prototypes. One, which is the one I'd like to use, is basically making a Uni-Body case. Where they carve out the box from a solid piece of aluminum. And they carve out the lid from another piece of aluminum. As you can imagine, this will be much more expensive and also very heavy. It may also prove to be too cost prohibitive. But I ordered it anyway as I couldn't help myself because I wanted to see what it would end up looking like.

The other company has better pricing and it's making the lid with the same process (CNC Milling) but the box is being made more traditionally. Bent sheet metal and welded. In the end, this will most likely be the one I choose.

I've turned the screens around so they are below the encoders and it does make more sense as your hand doesn't block the screen this way. I've yet to have my firmware guy turn the screen display information around, so now it will show upside down on these photos. But this is a quick change that is not an issue.

The encoders are smooth now, so there is no clicking sound.

I'm adding a couple of connector on the back that will make the entire unit more useful. I think people will love it.

The company selling me the control knobs was charging too much for them and they wanted me to pay a little more and order 1000 knobs in order for them to make new ones without the white arrow on top. So I just decided to make custom ones that will fit the size better. (less showing of the encoder shaft below the knob) I have 6 different versions coming this week that are 3D printed so I can choose the one I want and send the 3D file to the manufacturer. They will be slightly more expensive, but they will fit better and with the file, I know I can find many manufacturers that can make it as opposed to being tied to just one.

We are really close to getting the Screens to talk to CSI. Geoff has been tremendous help with this, so a big Thanks to him.

A few tweaks left when the aluminum enclosures come, a redesign of the buttons module as I'm not happy with the current quality of the buttons. And I think we'll be ready for the 1st batch to come out.

In the mean time, I'll start working on the MST and ZONE files. I might need some help with those from some of the usual suspects. So I'll reach out when the time comes.
Looks fantastic man !!
Old 12-09-2020, 09:20 PM   #338
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Looks fantastic man !!
Thank you.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:46 PM   #339
Funkybot

Looks great. Can't wait to see it with the aluminum cases and custom knobs. I think putting the displays at the bottom was the right call. May seem non-standard, but I think for most practical setups, having the displays below the control will actually increase visibility. Nice work!
Old 12-10-2020, 08:36 AM   #340
Nick Morris

I think I will have to get some of these for the studios.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:41 AM   #341
RobinGShore

Looking really good! Are the knobs touch sensitive?
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:58 AM   #342
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
Looking really good! Are the knobs touch sensitive?
Thanks Robin. Yes they are. Touch sensitive & Push action. 3LED status below and 15LED ring around, all full RGB capable. So for instance, we could have the first 10LEDs be green , the next 3 be yellow and the last 2 be red when showing volume. Or they can all be Blue when adjusting compression, and green, when adjusting another FX, etc...

The only weak part right now are the buttons on the bottom. They are cheap and only have 7 colors. The caps don't stay on well and the travel is very short. I've already found replacements that have better travel, full RGB and are much more professional than these. Any unit I will sell will have the better buttons as I wouldn't put my name on this kind of quality.
Old 12-13-2020, 03:19 AM   #343
Nantho

I'm so attracted to you right now ^^

Great job
Old 12-13-2020, 11:55 PM   #344
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantho View Post
I'm so attracted to you right now ^^

Great job
Hahaha. Thank you much. And thanks for keeping the interest alive. We are getting close.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:26 AM   #345
airon

This looks very interesting indeed. I'm already eyeing my desk for a good spot.

Hmm. Probably need to build an angled rack. Better make that two, since an 8 x 3 unit like this needs to be close at hand and some of the other stuff now needs to be shifted.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. The unit looks great.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:16 AM   #346
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
This looks very interesting indeed. I'm already eyeing my desk for a good spot.

Hmm. Probably need to build an angled rack. Better make that two, since an 8 x 3 unit like this needs to be close at hand and some of the other stuff now needs to be shifted.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. The unit looks great.
Thanks for the interest. It's coming along.

In fact, this is a vide I made this morning showing where we are so far with the progress:

I'll be diagnosing the Zone file to make sure it work as expected. This was our first attempt. Big thanks to FunkyBot for creating the Zone and of course Geoff for guiding me through this endeavor.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:07 AM   #347
Funkybot

Really coming along nicely! Let me know of course if anything isn't working or you need any help making additional changes. It's always hard to write an .mst/.zon set of files for a device you can't test but hopefully these will be for sale relatively soon and I can fix that.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:15 AM   #348
Geoff Waddington

Getting closer every day !!
Old 12-16-2020, 03:45 AM   #349
siniarch

A little progress to share.

I was thinking of ways to use touch sensitivity and I believe I came up with a couple of things that are nice.

Take a look at the video:

I'm still baffled why the "SendNavigator" is not mapping the Send Volumes to the top row of encoders. It seems as though only the 1st Send's volume is mapped to all top row of encoders. A1-A8.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:28 AM   #350
airon

That's kinda what happens on my Faderport 16 as well. Might be buggy in some way. I'll post my MST and ZON in the main thread tomorrow. I'm using an up to date version from December 15th.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:38 PM   #351
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
That's kinda what happens on my Faderport 16 as well. Might be buggy in some way. I'll post my MST and ZON in the main thread tomorrow. I'm using an up to date version from December 15th.
I'm using a similar version. Not sure if I'm on the very very latest one. I can always try to re-install, but if you have the same problem, it might be a bug for controllers with more complicated screens. Perhaps the FB messages are breaking the SendNavigator command from continuing after the 1st track.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:16 PM   #352
Funkybot

Here's 8 sends on Track1 with a couple of displays here. Top two rows are the SendLevel, bottom two are pan, I can adjust Pre/Post by pressing buttons on the top two or SendMute on the bottom. Granted, that's via OSC, but the hardware controls are mirrored on my MFTwister and the knobs work too.

Can you post your CSI.ini? It's driving me nuts we can't figure out what's going on with sends.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:12 PM   #353
siniarch

Quote:

Here's 8 sends on Track1 with a couple of displays here. Top two rows are the SendLevel, bottom two are pan, I can adjust Pre/Post by pressing buttons on the top two or SendMute on the bottom. Granted, that's via OSC, but the hardware controls are mirrored on my MFTwister and the knobs work too.

Can you post your CSI.ini? It's driving me nuts we can't figure out what's going on with sends.
That looks pretty nice. Great job Funkybot!

As for the error with the "SendNavigator" I've tried it on Row A, Row B and both times it has the same effect. The 1st Send's Volume gets mapped to all 8 encoders.

It's almost as if the "|" variable IS working as far as assigning 1-8 to the name of the widget, but the "SendNavigator" is not cycling through the Selected Track's Sends. It get's stuck on the First One.

(Note, I've also removed all the extra FB code just to make sure that wasn't the issue. I also tied with more than one track so when selecting a different track, the "SendNavigaror" should re-map the sends to the same row of Encoders, but I get the same result) It is just very weird that it works on you OST and MFT setup but not on the Faderport16 or on my unit?
Old 12-16-2020, 02:38 PM   #354
Funkybot

The only other thing I can imagine is maybe there's a permissions issue and the CSI.ini isn't being updated as expected?

Example you should see something like this:

Code:
MidiSurface "SCE24" 7 6 "SCE24" 8 8 8 0
...the 8 8 8 is the part you should double check. First 8 is number of channels, second 8 is number of Sends, third 8 is the number of FX menu, last 0 does nothing for now.

Does your CSI.ini show 8 8 8 0 or 8 8 0 0? If the first two digits for your surface are both 8, then I'm completely stumped.

But if you see 8 0...or 8 1...then try setting that second digit to 8 manually and saving it.
Old 12-16-2020, 03:05 PM   #355
siniarch

Quote:
The only other thing I can imagine is maybe there's a permissions issue and the CSI.ini isn't being updated as expected?

Example you should see something like this:

Code:
MidiSurface "SCE24" 7 6 "SCE24" 8 8 8 0
...the 8 8 8 is the part you should double check. First 8 is number of channels, second 8 is number of Sends, third 8 is the number of FX menu, last 0 does nothing for now.

Does your CSI.ini show 8 8 8 0 or 8 8 0 0? If the first two digits for your surface are both 8, then I'm completely stumped.

But if you see 8 0...or 8 1...then try setting that second digit to 8 manually and saving it.
I'm not home right now but I'm pretty sure 8 8 8 is what my CSI.ini has. But, I'll double check as soon as I can.
Old 12-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #356
Funkybot

Quote:
I'm not home right now but I'm pretty sure 8 8 8 is what my CSI.ini has. But, I'll double check as soon as I can.
Yeah, and it's a longshot honestly (why would it just stop writing there) but just rules one more thing out.
Old 12-17-2020, 01:21 AM   #357
siniarch

Here are the contents of my CSI.ini file

Code:
Page "HomePage" FollowMCP NoSynchPages UseScrollLink NoTrackColoring { 39 255 45 }
MidiSurface "SiniConE24" 4 5 "SiniConEN24.mst" "SiniConEN24" 8 8 8 0
Old 12-17-2020, 01:52 AM   #358
andyp24

Does it matter that the surface is called "E24" and the mst and zone names are "EN24"?
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 01:56 AM   #359
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp24 View Post
Does it matter that the surface is called "E24" and the mst and zone names are "EN24"?
I think the 1st name is just any user name. It could be called "Bobs Controller" but the next two names need to be exactly what the MST and ZONE files are named.

One thing I haven't done is delete the controller and re-install it. I'm also going to install the latest CSI from Geoff. I think he just uploaded a new version.
Old 12-17-2020, 02:25 AM   #360
siniarch

Quote:
Yeah, and it's a longshot honestly (why would it just stop writing there) but just rules one more thing out.
ARRRGGGG. I figured out what was happening. I think?

I re-installed CSI. I think the last time I re-installed CSI which was the 12/10 v1.0 version, I failed to update the "reaper_csurf_integrator.dll" file in the "UserPlugins" folder. So I was using one from a previous version I believe. At least, I don't remember installing that file.

In any case, it was probably that or perhaps between the 12/10 version and the 12/16 version something change. But most likely this was a PEBKAC ERROR.

Thanks for all your help.