Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 04-07-2021, 07:55 PM   #1
michael diemer
Human being with feelings

Default (SOLVED) How Can I Get sforzando into Reaper for linux?

I am running RFL on a brand new Manjaro install. I downloaded sforzando from Plogue. The standalone works, and I have sound, although the GUI is sketchy. how can I load it into reaper?

While I have used "regular" Reaper before, and am somewhat experienced with Linux, RFL is definitely a work in progress for me. I have the latest version of Wine installed.

Last edited by michael diemer; 02-15-2022 at 10:54 AM.
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:35 PM   #2
Beco

Hi Michael,

Sorry, but I do not know what is RFL.

I run smoothly Sforzando in reaper (for linux) and I am using Linvst (which works great in my debian testing). I will put the link of linvst and just follow the instructions and you will be fine.

https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst/releases

I hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Fulvio
Beco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:36 PM   #3
JamesPeters

Also Sfizz exists:

https://github.com/sfztools/sfizz

I'm not sure if the implementation of the SFZ standard is the same (it seems different SFZ players handle some aspects but not other more advanced aspects of the format, if it exists in the SFZ), but it might be worth a try since it's native to Linux. It's also in the main Manjaro repo as a Linux LV2 (which now works in Reaper for Linux) as well as Linux VST.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:42 PM   #4
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beco View Post
Hi Michael,

Sorry, but I do not know what is RFL.

I run smoothly Sforzando in reaper (for linux) and I am using Linvst (which works great in my debian testing). I will put the link of linvst and just follow the instructions and you will be fine.

https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst/releases

I hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Fulvio
Thanks a bunch Fulvio. RFL=Reaper for Linux. I'll check out the link.

Best, Michael
Old 04-07-2021, 08:45 PM   #5
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Also Sfizz exists:

https://github.com/sfztools/sfizz

I'm not sure if the implementation of the SFZ standard is the same (it seems different SFZ players handle some aspects but not other more advanced aspects of the format, if it exists in the SFZ), but it might be worth a try since it's native to Linux. It's also in the main Manjaro repo as a Linux LV2 (which now works in Reaper for Linux) as well as Linux VST.
I did manage to get that going. It showed up in reaper's LV2 folder and I was able to get it up and running. Which is nice as it verifies my system is actually working, I have sound, even my midi keyboard works. I have a ways to go but it's a start.

i'm currently trying to figure out how to get vsti's into the vsti folder, so Reaper can see them. Maybe that link Fulvio sent me will help.

Thank you James!
Old 04-07-2021, 09:41 PM   #6
JamesPeters

Oh you're trying to get Windows VST to work? You need Wine (probably Wine-Staging) and either LinVST (whatever particular variant makes the most sense for you) or Yabridge. I tried those both recently but normally I don't run Windows VST at all. I posted about the experience here. Be sure to read the requirements part of LinVST and Yabridge before choosing a version of Wine-Staging (or cutting to the chase: use version 6.4 for now).

There are other threads discussing using Windows VST in Reaper for Linux. One is "stuck" at the top of the forum.

I installed Wine-Staging from the main repo and Yabridge (the binary version) from the AUR (you have to enable the AUR under "preferences" in the package manager). The AUR is the Arch User Repository but it's kind of like a secondary official repo. It's not as "trusted" as stuff in the main repo...but probably close enough. Also a lot of it is code which gets downloaded/built/installed automatically when you get it from the AUR, which is different from anything you get from the main repo which is already built. It's handled automatically but it seems strange at first.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:14 PM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
I am running RFL on a brand new Manjaro install. I downloaded sforzando from Plogue. The standalone works, and I have sound, although the GUI is sketchy. how can I load it into reaper?

While I have used "regular" Reaper before, and am somewhat experienced with Linux, RFL is definitely a work in progress for me. I have the latest version of Wine installed.
If you've got it working stand alone, that means you've got it installed and functioning in WINE. The next step is to use a WINE to Linux bridge like LinVST to make it appear to REAPER as a native Linux plugin.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:02 AM   #8
osxmidi

If the vst version of Sforzando that you downloaded doesn't load then this version does work https://freevstplugins.net/sforzando/

There is a thread about it here https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=234373

Wine has it's own folders that are basically equivalent to Windows.

Wine's files and folders are in a hidden folder /home/your-user-name/.wine/drive_c

For example the Program Files folder is in /home/your-user-name/.wine/drive_c/Program Files

----

For LinVst (other bridges have their own procedure)

Download LinVst from https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst/releases

then

Copy all of the lin-vst-serverxxxx files (files with lin-vst-server in their names) to /usr/bin (sudo permission needed)

Install the vst's.

The vst's will probably be installed by default to a Wine folder, something like ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steinberg/VSTPlugins (which is similar to where they are installed on Windows).

(the ~/ in the above line means /home/your-user-name)

It's also possible with most plugins to make a folder and install the windows vst's into it.

Start linvstconvert (in the convert folder) and then select the linvst.so file.

Point linvstconvert to the folder containing the windows vst's and hit the Start (Convert) button.

Start up the linux DAW and point it to scan the folder containing the windows vst's.

linvstconvert can be used to convert multiple vst folders after linvst.so is loaded.
Wait for the button to turn back to "Start" (from "Done") and then choose another folder and then hit "Start".

If new vst plugins are added to a folder, then just run linvstconvert again on that folder.

Last edited by osxmidi; 04-08-2021 at 01:27 AM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 02:20 PM   #9
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
If the vst version of Sforzando that you downloaded doesn't load then this version does work https://freevstplugins.net/sforzando/

There is a thread about it here https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=234373

Wine has it's own folders that are basically equivalent to Windows.

Wine's files and folders are in a hidden folder /home/your-user-name/.wine/drive_c

For example the Program Files folder is in /home/your-user-name/.wine/drive_c/Program Files

----

For LinVst (other bridges have their own procedure)

Download LinVst from https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst/releases

then

Copy all of the lin-vst-serverxxxx files (files with lin-vst-server in their names) to /usr/bin (sudo permission needed)

Install the vst's.

The vst's will probably be installed by default to a Wine folder, something like ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steinberg/VSTPlugins (which is similar to where they are installed on Windows).

(the ~/ in the above line means /home/your-user-name)

It's also possible with most plugins to make a folder and install the windows vst's into it.

Start linvstconvert (in the convert folder) and then select the linvst.so file.

Point linvstconvert to the folder containing the windows vst's and hit the Start (Convert) button.

Start up the linux DAW and point it to scan the folder containing the windows vst's.

linvstconvert can be used to convert multiple vst folders after linvst.so is loaded.
Wait for the button to turn back to "Start" (from "Done") and then choose another folder and then hit "Start".

If new vst plugins are added to a folder, then just run linvstconvert again on that folder.
Thank you for the detailed instructions. I installed the zipped version, and verified the files were there in the C drive. But I am stuck at copying the files (<lin-vst-server.exe> etc) to /usr/bin. I type <sudo cp lin-vst-server.exe /usr/bin> in the terminal, and get the response: <cp: cannot stat 'lin-vst-server.exe': No such file or directory>. I am using Manjaro. could that be the problem?
Old 04-08-2021, 02:33 PM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Thank you for the detailed instructions. I installed the zipped version, and verified the files were there in the C drive. But I am stuck at copying the files (<lin-vst-server.exe> etc) to /usr/bin. I type <sudo cp lin-vst-server.exe /usr/bin> in the terminal, and get the response: <cp: cannot stat 'lin-vst-server.exe': No such file or directory>. I am using Manjaro. could that be the problem?
When you issue the copy command, is your current directory the one that contains lin-vst-server.exe ? If not, try first getting your terminal window in the folder where it is, and then issue the copy command.

Myself, I hate typing in cryptic commands, so in Xubuntu I created a "God Mode" where a shortcut key starts up the file browser "Thunar" in Sudo mode so I can copy/paste/delete anything to anywhere using a GUI. Whatever file browser Manjaro uses can prolly be launched with a sudo in front of it, and make life easier.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:35 PM   #11
JamesPeters

From Thunar you can choose "file". "Thunar root" command from the current directory you are in. Or right click to find the same opt option. If you open a text editor by clicking on a config file etc. while like this, it also has root permission.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:05 PM   #12
Glennbo

Quote:
From Thunar you can choose "file". "Thunar root" command from the current directory you are in. Or right click to find the same opt option. If you open a text editor by clicking on a config file etc. while like this, it also has root permission.
I dunno if this translates to Manjaro, but in the keyboard settings, I created a "Super+G" application keyboard shortcut with the command,

pkexec thunar

which pops up an authorization box and then launches Thunar in God mode if the password entered was correct.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:54 PM   #13
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
When you issue the copy command, is your current directory the one that contains lin-vst-server.exe ? If not, try first getting your terminal window in the folder where it is, and then issue the copy command.

Myself, I hate typing in cryptic commands, so in Xubuntu I created a "God Mode" where a shortcut key starts up the file browser "Thunar" in Sudo mode so I can copy/paste/delete anything to anywhere using a GUI. Whatever file browser Manjaro uses can prolly be launched with a sudo in front of it, and make life easier.
Thanks, I'll try that. I've been busy downloading more stuff. I got the Kontakt Player running (version 5), and I installed an old copy of Garritan Personal Orchestra, which used the KP (GPO 3, about 14 years old). The standalone player works and loads GPO, all instruments work and not in demo mode (it's registered and should work in reaper, once I figure out all the stuff I need to do - like I said, a work in progress.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:57 PM   #14
michael diemer

Quote:
I got the same idea and tried it but without success. I'll figure it out eventually. My Linux knowledge base has many holes. I tend to just go online and find tutorials, forum threads etc. and eventually solve the problem. But of course this does not lead to systematized learning...
Old 04-08-2021, 07:01 PM   #15
michael diemer

Quote:
I dunno if this translates to Manjaro, but in the keyboard settings, I created a "Super+G" application keyboard shortcut with the command,

pkexec thunar

which pops up an authorization box and then launches Thunar in God mode if the password entered was correct.
I'll have to see if that will work in Manjaro. I basically like Manjaro, although I installed the XFCE default desktop, which works better for me. So it's kind of a hybrid system, although Arch is under the hood of course. I may try Debian at a later time. all this is experimental, and I'll probably get a new SSD when I finally understand it all well enough.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:25 PM   #16
JamesPeters

Quote:
I got the same idea and tried it but without success.
If you have a file selected, you won't find that option from the file menu or the right-click menu. You have to have no files selected in the folder, or you can have a folder selected. The command is context-sensitive and disappears if it makes no sense based on your selection. Perhaps that's not the best way to do it, but that's the way it is.

If you're finding anything about this distro confusing, Debian will be a nightmare. It's one of the least user-friendly distros I know of, the worst that I tried in that regard, despite looking user-friendly on the surface. It's like that in a lot of little ways; it just "seems stubborn" to anything other than what an average person would do on a computer (Internet, email, etc.) If I ever feel like I can "remove the training wheels", I'll just use Arch.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:35 PM   #17
michael diemer

Quote:
If you have a file selected, you won't find that option from the file menu or the right-click menu. You have to have no files selected in the folder, or you can have a folder selected. The command is context-sensitive and disappears if it makes no sense based on your selection. Perhaps that's not the best way to do it, but that's the way it is.

If you're finding anything about this distro confusing, Debian will be a nightmare. It's one of the least user-friendly distros I know of, the worst that I tried in that regard, despite looking user-friendly on the surface. It's like that in a lot of little ways; it just "seems stubborn" to anything other than what an average person would do on a computer (Internet, email, etc.) If I ever feel like I can "remove the training wheels", I'll just use Arch.
That's weird! Oh well nobody ever said ditching windows would be easy. As for Debian, I am running Bunsen Labs Linux, which is Debian-based. I have an old desktop with original PS and Video, and it needs a very light system. BL works great on it. I'v ehad to learn how to do some things, like create and edit config files (for example, to get Redshift screeen dimmer working right), and I enjoy learning new things. I also have bodhi on that machine, and it too runs like a dream. Or a Zen master, maybe I should say.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:28 PM   #18
osxmidi

Quote:
cd into the folder where the lin-vst-server files are

then

It should be sudo cp lin-vst-server* /usr/bin

the * is a wildcard that matches all files containing lin-vst-server in their names
Old 04-08-2021, 09:37 PM   #19
Glennbo

Quote:
Thanks, I'll try that. I've been busy downloading more stuff. I got the Kontakt Player running (version 5), and I installed an old copy of Garritan Personal Orchestra, which used the KP (GPO 3, about 14 years old). The standalone player works and loads GPO, all instruments work and not in demo mode (it's registered and should work in reaper, once I figure out all the stuff I need to do - like I said, a work in progress.
Once you get LinVST hooked up to the Windows .dll files, and add the path to the Windows plugins in REAPER (usually your home directory plus /.wine/drive_c/Program Files/VSTPlugins/) then it's a done deal and in REAPER they work like they did in Windows. Only if you add a new Windows plugin do you ever have to mess with any of this initial setup again.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:55 PM   #20
JamesPeters

"Debian-based" can be very different from Debian itself, just as "Arch-based" can be very different from Arch itself. I'm using Manjaro because it's Arch-based but more user-friendly. Likewise I could recommend some distros based on Debian, but not Debian itself. I don't know anyone I'd recommend Debian to, honestly. I know some people prefer it, but they've clearly been around Linux a long enough time to understand it well enough (including when they get cryptic error messages which would otherwise send someone like me down a rabbit hole trying to figure it out), plus comfortable enough doing lots of things in Terminal (which annoys me except for a few things).

Plus Debian is a bit too much about the whole "free software" thing for my liking. There's a version of Debian which has "non-free" drivers, which as it turns out one of my computers requires for its wifi card (a very common, 6-year old card). I didn't realize that the "non-free drivers included" version of Debian even existed since it's near the bottom of the download page. So I started installing the normal version that is recommended, and it barfed some vague error message at me. I spend a while figuring out that it doesn't recognize my wifi card, then I figured out why...and I found that version of Debian with the non-free drivers included. Sigh. The description for it said something like "you might need this version if you have some old or unusual hardware". LOL. Yeah. My wifi card was so "old" or "unusual"...only one of the most common sold at a major computer store. Never mind what kind of hassle I might be in if I want to use my Nvidia graphics card in Debian with the Nvidia driver (I've read how that can be a headache). I didn't even get that far. After a few days with Debian on that computer, and the minor annoyances piling up to be "death by a thousand cuts", I moved on.

So if you want a general idea what you're in for with Debian just look at their download page, and what it takes to figure out which version to get (compared to other distros' download pages). That's what I feel about Debian in general: you're going to need patience if you want to get anywhere with it. If I'm going in that general direction sometime in the future, I'd rather use my patience with Arch.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 04-09-2021 at 01:53 AM.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:36 AM   #21
michael diemer

Quote:
"

So if you want a general idea what you're in for with Debian just look at their download page, and what it takes to figure out which version to get (compared to other distros' download pages). That's what I feel about Debian in general: you're going to need patience if you want to get anywhere with it. If I'm going in that general direction sometime in the future, I'd rather use my patience with Arch.
Ha, you're right about the download page. It was so cryptic that the one time I tried to test out Debian, I gave up because I couldn't figure out what file to download. It was mystifying, unlike anything I had ever seen in the Linux world. Thanks for the cautionary tales. Scratch one off the list.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:40 AM   #22
michael diemer

Quote:
cd into the folder where the lin-vst-server files are

then

It should be sudo cp lin-vst-server* /usr/bin

the * is a wildcard that matches all files containing lin-vst-server in their names
i'm confused (as usual). After downloading sfizz, it showed up in Reaper, and it works. In fact it's the only vsti other than Reaper's stuff that has. It's under LV2i. This suggests to me that Linvst is already installed. I seem to recall a post here recently which said that the new Reaper version has it included.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:18 AM   #23
JamesPeters

Nope. Reaper for Linux supports Linux LV2 now. It's not a bridge. So you've installed Sfizz Linux LV2. LinVST is a bridge for Windows VST to Linux.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:33 AM   #24
Glennbo

Quote:
i'm confused (as usual). After downloading sfizz, it showed up in Reaper, and it works. In fact it's the only vsti other than Reaper's stuff that has. It's under LV2i. This suggests to me that Linvst is already installed. I seem to recall a post here recently which said that the new Reaper version has it included.
LV2/LV2i is an opensource protocol that is an alternative to VST/VSTi which requires licensing through Steinberg.

When you finally get the connection made between the stand alone and functioning Windows instruments, and Linux, they will appear in the VST/VSTi folders.

Couple things. In REAPER have you added the path to the Windows plugins? That one is not already there, so you have to add it yourself. The paths for native Linux plugins are all defaulted in REAPER for Linux, but not the path for Windows plugins.

I added this onto the default VST plugins path of REAPER.

/home/glennbo/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/VSTPlugins/

The other thing is check your Windows plugin folders for the presence of a ".so" file, which get generated when LinVST does the convert function. For example, here's a partial listing of my Windows VST folder. All the .so files were created by LinVST back when I first ran the convert function almost three years ago.

B4.dll
B4.so
FM7.dll
FM7.so
'Guitar Rig 5.dll'
'Guitar Rig 5.so'
'Kontakt 5 16out.dll'
'Kontakt 5 16out.so'
'Kontakt 5 8out.dll'
'Kontakt 5 8out.so'
'Kontakt 5.dll'
'Kontakt 5.so'
'minimoog V Original.dll'
'minimoog V Original.so'
Old 04-09-2021, 10:39 AM   #25
Glennbo

Quote:
Nope. Reaper for Linux supports Linux LV2 now. It's not a bridge. So you've installed Sfizz Linux LV2. LinVST is a bridge for Windows VST to Linux.
If sForzando has an LV2 version *** A N D *** it doesn't use GTK, that would be the one to use in Linux, because no WINE comes into play, but if sForzando for Linux is old and using GTK graphics, it would render the plugin useless and the Windows version would be the only way to go. I guess I should find out the answer to that.

Edit: I see now that you guys were talking about a different plugin than sForzando.

This is the entire contents of my "Plogue Art et Technologie, Inc" folder which is found by and works in REAPER.

'sforzando VST_x86.dll'
'sforzando VST_x86.so'

Last edited by Glennbo; 04-09-2021 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:34 PM   #26
michael diemer

I'm back up and running on Xubuntu 20, after having problems following a Manjaro update.

I want to dowmoad LinVST, but I see that the latest version is designed for Wine 6.6. I am on 6.0, which is stable.

So, which LinVST should I download, given that my Wine is 6.0? Perhaps LinVST 3 might be best?

Last edited by michael diemer; 04-12-2021 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:17 PM   #27
osxmidi

Quote:
I'm back up and running on Xubuntu 20, after having problems following a Manjaro update.

I want to dowmoad LinVST, but I see that the latest version is designed for Wine 6.6. I am on 6.0, which is stable.

So, which LinVST should I download, given that my Wine is 6.0? Perhaps LinVST 3 might be best?
Just download the LinVst-4.1-Debian-Stretch.zip one.

The LinVst-4.1-Debian-Stretch-Wine-6.6-Manjaro.zip one is an update for Wine 6.6 users that seemed to have problems with the LinVst-4.1-Debian-Stretch.zip version.

They both do the same thing.

Wine seems to be changing things with each new dot release ie 6.x, so I would recommend staying with wine-stable 6.0.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:47 AM   #28
michael diemer

Quote:
Just download the LinVst-4.1-Debian-Stretch.zip one.

The LinVst-4.1-Debian-Stretch-Wine-6.6-Manjaro.zip one is an update for Wine 6.6 users that seemed to have problems with the LinVst-4.1-Debian-Stretch.zip version.

They both do the same thing.

Wine seems to be changing things with each new dot release ie 6.x, so I would recommend staying with wine-stable 6.0.
Thank you, I'll do that. Hopefully I'll have it up and running sometime today.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:07 PM   #29
michael diemer

I managed to copy the lin-vst-server files to /usr/bin. But when I try to execute them, nothing happens. I tried opening them with the wine installer, wine program loader and winetricks, but it just spins around fro awhile and quits.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:07 PM   #30
Glennbo

Quote:
I managed to copy the lin-vst-server files to /usr/bin. But when I try to execute them, nothing happens. I tried opening them with the wine installer, wine program loader and winetricks, but it just spins around fro awhile and quits.
You don't run those. The files you want to run are linvstconvert or linvstconverttree, the latter which will do a folder and everything below it.

The convert program is what generates the .so file, which REAPER will see as native Linux plugins, except they are more like pointers that point to the Windows .dll files that are the actual plugins. On my system I have a .linvst folder in my home directory, and that is where the convert programs are. That is also where the .so template is that you will need in the convert program.

The top window you navigate to the "linvst.so" file. On my system it's located here.

/home/glennbo/.LinVst/embedded/linvst.so

Then you navigate to your Windows plugins folder on the bottom window. Mine is located here.

/home/glennbo/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/VSTPlugins/

Panel will look like this, and pressing "Start" will finish so fast you'll think nothing happened. If you had everything set right in your Windows VST folder there will be .so files with the same names as the .dll Windows files.

Last edited by Glennbo; 05-06-2021 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:55 AM   #31
osxmidi

Quote:
Glennbo's post explains it all.

There is also the LinVst wiki (that I did with a MacOS theme lol) https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst/wiki

Basically it's not that hard,

Unzip the LinVst-whatever.zip file from the releases page.

then copy ALL of the lin-vst-server files to /usr/bin

then double click linvstconvert in the convert folder

then you need to load linvst.so and then select the vst folder

load linvst.so from the unzipped LinVst-whatever.zip file

and then for the vst folder you will probably need to navigate to ./wine/drive_c/Program Files and look for the vst plugins folder ie Steinberg or VSTPlugins or Kontakt etc (very similar to where they are in Windows).

Then choose that folder and hit Start.

Then that is all done.

Then start Reaper and edit the search paths to include the vst folder that has the plugins (the same folder that you selected with linvstconvert).

------------

The Reaper "Edit path list" is in the Options Preferences menu and then Plug-ins VST from the selections on the left

Choose Add path and it comes up with a default .vst path in the Directory box which I change to .wine and I then hit enter and then navigate to drive_c and then Program Files and then the vst folder

folders with . in front of their name (such as .wine and .vst) are hidden in Linux

Last edited by osxmidi; 04-14-2021 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:34 PM   #32
michael diemer

Thank you Glenn and osxmidi, and please exude my ineptitude. I have not been sleeping well lately. The time change always throws me, and since I have fibromyalgia, when I don't sleep well I get "fibro-fog." I'm sure i'll get it eventually. thanks again for all the help.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:23 AM   #33
Charango

I have been following these posts and just wanted to send a quick thank you to Glennbo and Osxmidi for these explanations which I followed to the letter in order to install Linvst which I had been putting off for a while.
I had previously tried Carla on another machine and got it working but didn't like the workflow using it. Linvst seems easier and more seamless. I don't plan on using too many Windows VSTs but I like experimenting. For the moment I just have:
-NeoPiano
-Crystal
-Spitfire Audio Labs

Soon I'll install Kontakt and that should be it! Thanks again.

Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
i7
16GB Ram
Charango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:35 AM   #34
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charango View Post
I have been following these posts and just wanted to send a quick thank you to Glennbo and Osxmidi for these explanations which I followed to the letter in order to install Linvst which I had been putting off for a while.
I had previously tried Carla on another machine and got it working but didn't like the workflow using it. Linvst seems easier and more seamless. I don't plan on using too many Windows VSTs but I like experimenting. For the moment I just have:
-NeoPiano
-Crystal
-Spitfire Audio Labs

Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
i7
16GB Ram
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:41 AM   #35
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charango View Post
-NeoPiano
-Crystal
-Spitfire Audio Labs

Glad to see you got it working. LinVST is so transparent I forget that I'm working with plugins that are running in WINE and being bridged to Linux. Since I just expanded my analog inputs with a new ADAT mic/line preamp, I setup a template last night for Guitar Rig. Using the six faders and six knobs on my Akai MPD26 plus damper pedal, I can control volume, bass, mid, treble, master, Tube Screamer on/off, Tube Screamer Tone, vibrato on/off, bright switch on/off, Leslie speaker cabinet on/off and Leslie fast/slow via damper pedal.

Having immediate controls like that makes Guitar Rig kind of fun to play with and real quick to dial up sounds like you would with a real amp. Now I can just insert that conglomeration into a project when I want to mess with virtual amps.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:04 AM   #36
michael diemer

I'm happy that Chrango got it working, this thread has at least helped one person, and who knows maybe more, and that's a good thing.

Unfortunately, there appears to be something wrong with my setup. I have followed the steps graciously provided by Osxmidi, and also Glennbo. I followed them exactly, extracting the downloads, copying them to /usr/bin, and running the Converter. I put in the .so file, and then the the vst folder from my C drive, hit the button and it registered "done." But the vst's are not in the folder. Maybe they went somewhere else. Or it just didn't work. I tried it several times.

I suspect I got something wrong with my Wine setup, possibly with a prefix (although I attempted to fix that, and thought I did.) In any case, I am putting this on the shelf for now. I will return again at some future point when I again grow weary of Windows and Cakewalk, But for now, it's the only way to make music, and that has to take precedence. Otherwise life is not worth living.

Thanks for all the help, especially to Glennbo, Osxmidi and James Peters. And thanks to the Reaper devs who are doing their best to liberate us from the icy grip of Microsoft. Keep up the great work, and hopefully I'll see you down the road.

Michael
Old 02-14-2022, 10:55 AM   #37
michael diemer

I just came back to Reaper on Linux, and I'm happy to report I finally figured out LinVst. Not sure what I was doing wrong last year, but I have the Aria Player running flawlessly, with Garritan Personal Orchestra. All 16 channels loaded and playing. In fact I have two instances fully loaded, and it works as well as on Windows. GUI rendered perfectly, native reverb works as well. Sforzando Player is also installed and working.

Next I need to get Kontakt Player going. I had it working as standalone last year. I have the latest Wine-Staging, 7.1. My first attempt to install Native Access crashed. I probably need an earlier W-S version?

Anyone know the best stable Wine-Staging for Kontakt Player? I remember that 6.1 or 6.2 were good. Also, is KP 5 or KP 6 better for Linux?

So glad to be back. This time I think it's going to be for good!
Old 02-14-2022, 11:34 AM   #38
Glennbo

Quote:
I just came back to Reaper on Linux, and I'm happy to report I finally figured out LinVst. Not sure what I was doing wrong last year, but I have the Aria Player running flawlessly, with Garritan Personal Orchestra. All 16 channels loaded and playing. In fact I have two instances fully loaded, and it works as well as on Windows. GUI rendered perfectly, native reverb works as well. Sforzando Player is also installed and working.

Next I need to get Kontakt Player going. I had it working as standalone last year. I have the latest Wine-Staging, 7.1. My first attempt to install Native Access crashed. I probably need an earlier W-S version?

Anyone know the best stable Wine-Staging for Kontakt Player? I remember that 6.1 or 6.2 were good. Also, is KP 5 or KP 6 better for Linux?

So glad to be back. This time I think it's going to be for good!
Hey Michael, good to see ya 'round. Most folks here have switched to Yabridge for bridging Windows plugins, but I wouldn't recommend switching at this point, since you have so much working now. As for wine-staging, I've just been letting mine update and stay current. Looks like mine is 7.1-1 at the moment, but I haven't tried running Native Access in a long time.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:51 AM   #39
michael diemer

Quote:
Hey Michael, good to see ya 'round. Most folks here have switched to Yabridge for bridging Windows plugins, but I wouldn't recommend switching at this point, since you have so much working now. As for wine-staging, I've just been letting mine update and stay current. Looks like mine is 7.1-1 at the moment, but I haven't tried running Native Access in a long time.
Thanks Glen. I'm going to mark this thread solved as I do have sforzando working. I'll open a new one about wine and Kontakt Player as I am still working that.