Old 06-07-2021, 04:55 AM   #1
vitalker
Human being with feelings
 
vitalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 8,871
Default v6.29+dev0607 - June 7 2021

v6.29+dev0607 - June 7 2021
  • * Includes feature branch: render normalization
  • * Includes feature branch: MIDI editor note reordering
  • * Includes feature branch: media item lanes
  • * Includes feature branch: EEL2 x86_64/SSE
  • * Includes feature branch: VST3 bridging
  • + Media items: fix hit testing to prefer opaque unselected items over transparent selected items
  • + ReaScript: add GetSetProjectInfo_String("RENDER_STATS"), to retrieve statistics for the most recently rendered files
  • # Media item lanes: remove preference to auto-crossfade media items in separate lanes
  • # Options: restore option to display overlapping items in lanes, as "offset overlapping media items vertically"
  • # Render: don't display "show in explorer" or "launch file" buttons after dry run render
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:58 AM   #2
vitalker
Human being with feelings
 
vitalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 8,871
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
# Options: restore option to display overlapping items in lanes, as "offset overlapping media items vertically"
Do I understand correctly? The old behaviour will remain and the new lanes feature, too.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:42 AM   #3
BethHarmon
Human being with feelings
 
BethHarmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: 0x4d2e8b0
Posts: 1,057
Default

Not sure when it happened but loudness meter true peak/clips labels seem messed up:

BethHarmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:48 AM   #4
nofish
Human being with feelings
 
nofish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: home is where the heart is
Posts: 11,222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
[*]+ ReaScript: add GetSetProjectInfo_String("RENDER_STATS"), to retrieve statistics for the most recently rendered files
From first try it looks like it also works when having previously run the actions 'Calculate loudness ...', also when having multiple tracks selected etc.
Very nice, I think this covers all use cases (I can think of atm), thanks.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:51 AM   #5
amagalma
Human being with feelings
 
amagalma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
v6.29+dev0607 - June 7 2021
  • + ReaScript: add GetSetProjectInfo_String("RENDER_STATS"), to retrieve statistics for the most recently rendered files
Thank you! Is there any way to get the stats without seeing the render window and more importantly without having to click to close the window?
Code:
reaper.Main_OnCommand(42438, 0) -- Calculate loudness of selected tracks via dry run render
local result = ({reaper.GetSetProjectInfo_String( 0, "RENDER_STATS", "", false )})[2]
files, f = {}, 0
for a,b in result:gmatch("(%u-):([^;]+)") do
  local isfile = a == "FILE"
  if isfile then f = f + 1 end
  if not files[f] then files[f] = {} end
  files[f][a] = isfile and b or tonumber(b)
end

So, either a dedicated API for this or a way to automatically close the window? (perhaps using the flags of Main_OnCommand? Something like: reaper.Main_OnCommand(42438, 1), or -1 or whatever? )
__________________
Most of my scripts can be found in ReaPack.
If you find them useful, a donation would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)

Last edited by amagalma; 06-07-2021 at 06:10 AM.
amagalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:52 AM   #6
Mercado_Negro
Moderator
 
Mercado_Negro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Caracas, Venezuela
Posts: 8,501
Default

Crossfades aren't working in this pre.

EDIT: Actually they're working, it's just the way they're shown now. The crossfade isn't shown at all.
__________________
Pressure is what turns coal into diamonds - Michael a.k.a. Runaway
Mercado_Negro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:54 AM   #7
FeedTheCat
Human being with feelings
 
FeedTheCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Berlin
Posts: 1,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
# Options: restore option to display overlapping items in lanes, as "offset overlapping media items vertically"
I like the approach, it's easy to visually distinguish if items are overlapping or in different lanes. Bit of a bummer that the ordering based on item -IID is back though, was glad that was removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
+ Media items: fix hit testing to prefer opaque unselected items over transparent selected items
If these changes make it out of dev, please don't forget to update the GetItemFromPoint API function accordingly.

FeedTheCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:59 AM   #8
Phazma
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 2,195
Default

No related changelog lines but it seems that both things I have brought up in the last +dev thread have been taken care of. Can't get any more clips after normalization (if I don't go above 0dB obviously) and the space in the render analysis seems to be used more efficiently. Thanks for these improvements!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
# Render: don't display "show in explorer" or "launch file" buttons after dry run render
Also thanks for this! Looks a bit more consistent.

Regarding all the loudness and normalization features it seems pretty much ready for RC version according to my testing (even if a few handy features people wished for haven't been implemented, probably for some good reasons).

Only one thing in the render progress window isn't really clear to me. How do the peak readouts of the Master mix meter relate to the peak readout in the render analysis?

Am I correct in assuming that the meter readouts show the highest peak value of both the render and normalization pass combined, while the analysis readout shows the max peak per render and updates with each pass to show which is the highest peak in the actual file after the last pass (= the normalization pass)?

Also, they don't seem to entirely match. The peak readout of the meter tends to be lower than the peak readout of the analysis, like here for example:



Tbh I don't care about this personally (I only check the peak readout of the render analysis) but maybe you devs do care and want to get them to match. Just trying to provide useful feedback.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:10 AM   #9
Vagelis
Human being with feelings
 
Vagelis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Larisa, Greece
Posts: 1,918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
I like the approach, it's easy to visually distinguish if items are overlapping or in different lanes. Bit of a bummer that the ordering based on item -IID is back though, was glad that was removed
Agreed, looks much cleaner than before to work with, especially when there are many overlapping items, thanks devs!

Regarding media lanes, I still wish if we had an option to auto-mute the overlapping item parts vertically, relative to the top or bottom item, it would be really awesome.

Last edited by Vagelis; 06-07-2021 at 06:15 AM.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:11 AM   #10
Phazma
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 2,195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Crossfades aren't working in this pre.

EDIT: Actually they're working, it's just the way they're shown now. The crossfade isn't shown at all.
Here they do show but one is drawn under the item peaks while the other one above



Not sure what to think about that.. I think I prefer how it was before, it was easier to see the crossfades when zoomed out.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:16 AM   #11
Phazma
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 2,195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
# Media item lanes: remove preference to auto-crossfade media items in separate lanes
Hmm.. would it be possible to get a mouse modifier which we can hold while moving an item and when held it creates a crossfade with all the items on other lanes?
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:24 AM   #12
Vagelis
Human being with feelings
 
Vagelis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Larisa, Greece
Posts: 1,918
Default

I think "Hide buttons when take height is less than" is broken with this version, anyone else can confirm?
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:27 AM   #13
Vagelis
Human being with feelings
 
Vagelis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Larisa, Greece
Posts: 1,918
Default

Also i think when the items are overlapping, the buttons of the overlapping items should be hidden automatically when the buttons of the front item snap to them

Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:30 AM   #14
schwa
Administrator
 
schwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 13,385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
I think "Hide buttons when take height is less than" is broken with this version, anyone else can confirm?
The logic is admittedly kind of complicated, but the buttons will be displayed if the take height is taller than the setting *or* the item height is tall enough for the the label to be displayed above the item. That's not necessarily a great look when items are overlapping, though.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:31 AM   #15
Vagelis
Human being with feelings
 
Vagelis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Larisa, Greece
Posts: 1,918
Default

At smaller track height it's difficult to grab an overlapping item, when i drag to move an overlapping item above the label of the previous item, it's impossible to move it because Reaper see the label area as empty track space.

Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:40 AM   #16
Vagelis
Human being with feelings
 
Vagelis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Larisa, Greece
Posts: 1,918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
The logic is admittedly kind of complicated, but the buttons will be displayed if the take height is taller than the setting *or* the item height is tall enough for the the label to be displayed above the item. That's not necessarily a great look when items are overlapping, though.
I think it would be nice and would look cleaner if it would be possible to hide automatically the buttons from overlapped items on the back when the front item's labels reach them no matter the settings.

Because if we change the settings just for when the items are overlapping it will change also our preference when they don't.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:02 AM   #17
Triode
Human being with feelings
 
Triode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 967
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
Hmm.. would it be possible to get a mouse modifier which we can hold while moving an item and when held it creates a crossfade with all the items on other lanes?
I always thought that would be handy outside the lane context also, when moving
__________________
Mixing / Brush and Beater Drums Online: www.outoftheboxsounds.com
Triode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:18 AM   #18
Dafarkias
Human being with feelings
 
Dafarkias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Southern Vermont
Posts: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
[/LIST] Thank you! Is there any way to get the stats without seeing the render window and more importantly without having to click to close the window?
Code:
reaper.Main_OnCommand(42438, 0) -- Calculate loudness of selected tracks via dry run render
local result = ({reaper.GetSetProjectInfo_String( 0, "RENDER_STATS", "", false )})[2]
files, f = {}, 0
for a,b in result:gmatch("(%u-):([^;]+)") do
  local isfile = a == "FILE"
  if isfile then f = f + 1 end
  if not files[f] then files[f] = {} end
  files[f][a] = isfile and b or tonumber(b)
end

So, either a dedicated API for this or a way to automatically close the window? (perhaps using the flags of Main_OnCommand? Something like: reaper.Main_OnCommand(42438, 1), or -1 or whatever? )
Have you tried "File: Render project, using the most recent render settings, auto-close render dialog" (42230)?

It seemed to work well with the code you provided.

Devs, thanks seriously for adding this feature. I look forward to using it for my music collection/playlist loudness normalization.

[Edit]

Seems that action 42230 won't allow for dry run rendering (yet). That would be very handy, if rendering as dry run were integrated into the scope of the "Save Settings" feature.
__________________

Support my feature request!
Dafarkias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:29 AM   #19
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings
 
musicbynumbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South, UK
Posts: 13,819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
Hmm.. would it be possible to get a mouse modifier which we can hold while moving an item and when held it creates a crossfade with all the items on other lanes?
I would love this too.

Crossfades is one of my only often used toolbar/keyboard toggles that I wish I could put on a set of mouse modifiers instead as with sound design work, it's often a bit of both all the time so switching isn't as fast as a modifier
__________________
subproject FRs click here
note: don't search for my pseudonym on the web. The "musicbynumbers" you find is not me or the name I use for my own music.
musicbynumbers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:34 AM   #20
Meo-Ada Mespotine
Human being with feelings
 
Meo-Ada Mespotine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Leipzig
Posts: 5,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
v6.29+dev0607 - June 7 2021
[list][*]+ ReaScript: add GetSetProjectInfo_String("RENDER_STATS"), to retrieve statistics for the most recently rendered files
Nice
__________________
Use you/she/her.Ultraschall-Api Lua Api4Reaper
Bugreports&Docs notes please do here:https://github.com/Ultraschall/ultra...-reaper/issues - Donate, if you wish
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:39 AM   #21
Meo-Ada Mespotine
Human being with feelings
 
Meo-Ada Mespotine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Leipzig
Posts: 5,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafarkias View Post
[Edit]

Seems that action 42230 won't allow for dry run rendering (yet). That would be very handy, if rendering as dry run were integrated into the scope of the "Save Settings" feature.
Yup. I think the easiest would be additional actions, that will just do the dry-rendering and finish off without showing a stats-window.
The rendering-window for dry rendering should obey the config-var-setting stored in renderclosewhendone,

&1, Automatically close, when finished - checkbox

so we could switch it off for dry rendering, as we can currently do already for normal rendering.
__________________
Use you/she/her.Ultraschall-Api Lua Api4Reaper
Bugreports&Docs notes please do here:https://github.com/Ultraschall/ultra...-reaper/issues - Donate, if you wish
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:48 AM   #22
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings
 
musicbynumbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South, UK
Posts: 13,819
Default

I can see how some would like the new overlapping mode for items when it comes to space saving.

But glad you can turn it off as I had an instant bad reaction to it personally though as you can't easily see any waveforms on the items behind it (other than the one furthest right item) and it gets messy quick with multiple items and crossfades over each other.

I can see though that when fixed lane is active too. You can actually overlap like this on multiple/different fixed lanes which could be quite powerful so I'll give it a go in practice asap

I have to say though, I still miss the old auto overlap that would give discrete lanes for fast working but I can see that this approach might lead us on to more functional use of the fixed lanes (like individual solo/mutes for them etc to use for comping) so carry on!
__________________
subproject FRs click here
note: don't search for my pseudonym on the web. The "musicbynumbers" you find is not me or the name I use for my own music.
musicbynumbers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:44 PM   #23
vitalker
Human being with feelings
 
vitalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 8,871
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
I think it would be nice and would look cleaner if it would be possible to hide automatically the buttons from overlapped items on the back when the front item's labels reach them no matter the settings.
The buttons just should be on the layer behind items, so no title/buttons would block adjacent items.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:54 PM   #24
MrTsonts
Human being with feelings
 
MrTsonts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Ukraine, Kyiv
Posts: 131
Default

I liked it better. when both items were visible when overlapping. Now I don't see if I have a crossfade.
It may be more convenient to have on/off opacity of overlapping items.
MrTsonts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 01:32 PM   #25
amagalma
Human being with feelings
 
amagalma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,351
Default

In the previous dev builds the Dry Run was available as a format. And one could set it with a script with reaper.GetSetProjectInfo_String( 0, "RENDER_FORMAT", "bW11ZA==", true).


Removing it from that list and placing to a button, removed this ability (and already broke one of my personal scripts).. Is there a new way to do it with a script in this dev build?
__________________
Most of my scripts can be found in ReaPack.
If you find them useful, a donation would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)
amagalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 01:38 PM   #26
Phazma
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 2,195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
In the previous dev builds the Dry Run was available as a format. And one could set it with a script with reaper.GetSetProjectInfo_String( 0, "RENDER_FORMAT", "bW11ZA==", true).


Removing it from that list and placing to a button, removed this ability (and already broke one of my personal scripts).. Is there a new way to do it with a script in this dev build?
It would definitely be nice if it could be set with scripts but please keep the button as it is now, it is super convenient.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 01:43 PM   #27
schwa
Administrator
 
schwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 13,385
Default

Do the actions to trigger a dry run render not accomplish what you need?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:45 AM   #28
Gminorscale
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 15
Default

The dry render is a welcome change. I would like to wish for a file size preview in the same window. I get that the dry render is primarily for audio, but it could be smart to preview the filesize of videos and gifs as well
Gminorscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:24 AM   #29
amagalma
Human being with feelings
 
amagalma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Do the actions to trigger a dry run render not accomplish what you need?
For the purpose of my current script they do but they do not offer the choice that is available with the Render to File window (Master mix, Stems (selected tracks), Selected tracks via master, Region render matrix, Selected media items, Selected media items via master, Razor edit areas, Razor edit areas via master).

For the time being I can live with the fewer choices :P, but please make an "auto-close render dialog" version of the dry run actions, for use with scripts. Thank you!
__________________
Most of my scripts can be found in ReaPack.
If you find them useful, a donation would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)
amagalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:45 AM   #30
Meo-Ada Mespotine
Human being with feelings
 
Meo-Ada Mespotine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Leipzig
Posts: 5,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
For the purpose of my current script they do but they do not offer the choice that is available with the Render to File window (Master mix, Stems (selected tracks), Selected tracks via master, Region render matrix, Selected media items, Selected media items via master, Razor edit areas, Razor edit areas via master).

For the time being I can live with the fewer choices :P, but please make an "auto-close render dialog" version of the dry run actions, for use with scripts. Thank you!
I agree with Amagalma. I would add to it, that Offline-settings aren't settable either this way, which could be important for plugins, that rely on 1x-online-rendering.

Maybe a dry render-action, that simply uses the currently set render-settings for a dry render that runs through without showing a dialog would be the best solution. That way, we could normalize any existing combination of settings 100% ourselves directly.

The other option would be to add countless of dry render-actions for any possible render-settings-combination but I think, this would be a little bit too tedious.



PS:
I just wondered, is there a reason, that the render-settings for Project Sample Rate FX Processing, Silently Increment Filename, Render Resample, Render Queue Delay and Offline Online Rendering can't be set via API?

I'm using a hack in Ultraschall-API, which uses a combination of config-var setting(when Render to File-dialog is closed) and setting checkboxes/selecting dropdownlists via JS-extension(when Render to File-dialog is opened), but I somehow think, these should be settable via API directly.

Especially inexperienced scripters might have trouble setting them, as these hacks aren't necessarily easy to do for beginners.
__________________
Use you/she/her.Ultraschall-Api Lua Api4Reaper
Bugreports&Docs notes please do here:https://github.com/Ultraschall/ultra...-reaper/issues - Donate, if you wish
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:24 AM   #31
Dafarkias
Human being with feelings
 
Dafarkias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Southern Vermont
Posts: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
...please make an "auto-close render dialog" version of the dry run actions, for use with scripts. Thank you!
+1

Also I agree with with Meo said.
__________________

Support my feature request!
Dafarkias is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.