Human being with feelings

Default v6.36+dev0914 - September 14 2021

v6.36+dev0914 - September 14 2021
* Includes feature branch: ReaLimit
* Includes feature branch: MIDI editor note reordering
* Includes feature branch: media item lanes
+ ReaGate: 1-64 channel support with optional multi-mono/multi-stereo modes
+ ReaScript: add MIDIEditor_EnumTakes()
+ VST: improve program handling when loading state for plugins that support chunks (e.g. Maize Sample Player)
# ReaComp: multichannel optimizations
# ReaLimit: gain reduction meter adapts to gain reduction applied
# ReaLimit: improve multi-stereo behavior with odd number of FX channels
# ReaLimit: rename "limit" to "threshold", change slider range to -60/+12 dB (note: existing projects will change, also you can always type in any value for either slider)

Full changelog / Latest pre-releases
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:47 PM   #2
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
OMG!!!!!!!!!! It's happening!!!!

I would just make one recommendation: The function does not currently distinguish between editable and visible takes [EDIT: it returns all visible ones]. Perhaps there should be two distinct functions for editable vs visible, or perhaps this function can take a third parameter "boolean onlyEditable".

Last edited by juliansader; 09-14-2021 at 11:45 PM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:09 PM   #3
Yanick

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Did I understand correctly, this means that now you can detect several takes opened in the focused midi editor?
All the same, on what principle does it work - editable or visible takes?
Yanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:41 PM   #4
Thonex

Quote:
+ VST: improve program handling when loading state for plugins that support chunks (e.g. Maize Sample Player)
Full changelog / Latest pre-releases
Does this include Kontakt Chunks?

[fingers MASSIVELY crossed]

Cheers,

Andrew K
Old 09-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #5
Thonex

Quote:

I would just make one recommendation: The function does not currently distinguish between editable and visible takes. Perhaps there should be two distinct functions for editable vs visible, or perhaps this function can take a third parameter "boolean onlyEditable".
Yes... thank you for bringing this up.

+1
Old 09-14-2021, 03:46 PM   #6
Zeno

Quote:
# ReaLimit: gain reduction meter adapts to gain reduction applied
Thanks, Devs
Zeno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:44 PM   #7
ashcat_lt

Quote:
# ReaComp: multichannel optimizations
AHHHH!!!!

Quote:
Oooooo....

ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:17 PM   #8
daniellumertz

For the curious:
Quote:
C: MediaItem_Take* MIDIEditor_EnumTakes(HWND midieditor, int takeindex)

EEL2: MediaItem_Take MIDIEditor_EnumTakes(HWND midieditor, int takeindex)

Lua: MediaItem_Take reaper.MIDIEditor_EnumTakes(HWND midieditor, integer takeindex)

Python: MediaItem_Take RPR_MIDIEditor_EnumTakes(HWND midieditor, Int takeindex)

list the takes that are currently being edited in this MIDI editor, starting with the active take. See MIDIEditor_GetTake
+1 in being able to distinguish in editable and visible!
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:30 AM   #9
dangguidan

Quote:

Great, finally!
dangguidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:27 AM   #10
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellumertz View Post
For the curious:

+1 in being able to distinguish in editable and visible!
Yes, that would be amazing!
Old 09-15-2021, 05:22 AM   #11
airon

Quote:
# ReaLimit: rename "limit" to "threshold", change slider range to -60/+12 dB (note: existing projects will change, also you can always type in any value for either slider)
ReaGate, ReaComp and ReaLimit work great on the 5.1 mixes I tried them on. Thanks for making these multichannel enhancements.

Instantiating ReaGate on a 6-channel track gives you the standard 2-channel+sidechain ReaGate, which is fine.

Changing the plugin channel count in the channel button(next to the param button) pop-up window works too. That's the one where all the routing pins can be set.

Doing the same via the little I/O button on that pop-up window in the "Plug-in channel configuration" submenu changes it too, but it is not reflected in the pop-window GUI until you close the pop-window and reopen it.

Was ReaGate always not available embedded in the TCP/MCP ? It wasn't for me.

ReaComps and ReaGates meters around the threshold slider weird me out. What information are they providing when there's more than two channels ?

Sidenote. If you guys ever design a ReaGate v2, not just range and a gain reduction meter but also detection channel choices could be among those. And then there's a multiband version. ReaXComp sucks for this, but I'm getting off-topic.

Last edited by airon; 09-15-2021 at 05:53 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:02 AM   #12
svijayrathinam

Amazing Work Developers. I hope this will work with reaverb and all other third party VST and AU plugins
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:57 AM   #13
benf

Quote:
* Includes feature branch: MIDI editor note reordering
Tested that function. I miss two things :
- the capability to apply colors on note rows (think it has already been asked)
- when applying the View : Show notes names (40045), viewing the true note names for unnamed notes (e.g. if MIDI note 65 is not named in the left panel, put "F4" name for each related note)

Thanks.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:12 AM   #14
BPBaker

I just got back from a week of camping in the woods to discover all these new developments with ReaLimit and multi-channel support for the various Rea plugins. Amazing work devs!

I did some searching to try to catch up but I'm still a little confused about the various multi-mono/stereo and "standard" multichannel modes. Can someone elaborate how they differ?

- Does multi-mono in ReaComp (or Gate) mean that each channel is being processed based on the threshold/detector of its respective input? Or is the plugin essentially "summing" the inputs of all channels for the detection, and then applying the same processing to each channel?

Also, when it comes to ambisonic multichannel audio (as I understand it) most other purpose-built ambisonic compressor/limiters plugins only do the detection on the "W" channel (Input 1) as to avoid distorting the overall ambisonic image. Where relevant, would it be possible to add this as an option? (This obviously wouldn't matter with ReaEQ.)
BPBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:19 AM   #15
BPBaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Sidenote. If you guys ever design a ReaGate v2, not just range and a gain reduction meter but also detection channel choices could be among those. And then there's a multiband version. ReaXComp sucks for this, but I'm getting off-topic.
+1 On a ReaGate v2 and/or adding metering, ratio, range, knee, etc. for downward expansion. (I currently use General Dynamics or other third party plugs for this.)
Old 09-15-2021, 10:59 AM   #16
Desa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPBaker View Post

- Does multi-mono in ReaComp (or Gate) mean that each channel is being processed based on the threshold/detector of its respective input? Or is the plugin essentially "summing" the inputs of all channels for the detection, and then applying the same processing to each channel?

Also, when it comes to ambisonic multichannel audio (as I understand it) most other purpose-built ambisonic compressor/limiters plugins only do the detection on the "W" channel (Input 1) as to avoid distorting the overall ambisonic image. Where relevant, would it be possible to add this as an option? (This obviously wouldn't matter with ReaEQ.)
1) The plugin is not summing the imputs. Every channel/imputs hits the respective threshold/detector.
This is very useful to use this option with an encoded/decoded mid/side signal.
I just worked on some sound design in this setup, and it works fantastic.
Multi-stereo: I haven't worked with this type of setting yet, but I guess the same principle applies to mono, but for channel sums, so great for working on stereo front / rear / etc channels inputs, for example.

2) So, to go back to your example of limiting ambisonic signals (or surround), this equates to the 'total separation' of channels that is often found in that type of plugin.
Desa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:04 AM   #17
schwa
Administrator

Multi-mono means the plugin is applying the same settings to each channel but processing each channel independently, as if the N-channel track actually had N separate mono plugins, all with the same parameter settings. Multi-stereo is the same but processing pairs of channels together, as if the N-channel track actually had N/2 separate stereo plugins. If neither multi-mono or multi-stereo is enabled, the plugin will analyze all input channels together and apply the results of that analysis to each channel. What exactly it means to analyze all channels together depends on the plugin. For ReaLimit, it means to calculate the necessary gain reduction to ensure that no single channel exceeds the brickwall ceiling, and then apply that gain reduction to all channels.

There are various special cases too. ReaEQ is effectively multi-mono by design, so it doesn't have separate multi-mono or multi-stereo options. For ReaComp, a sidechain input is only available if the plugin is not in multi-mono or multi-stereo mode, and the compression based on that single sidechain will be applied to all channels
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:03 PM   #18
BPBaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desa View Post
2) So, to go back to your example of limiting ambisonic signals (or surround), this equates to the 'total separation' of channels that is often found in that type of plugin.
That def makes sense for standard channel-based surround. And practically speaking, it seems like ReaLimit would work just fine for ambisonic use (the W/Omni channel will always be loudest anyway in an acoustic ambisonic recording), and ReaEQ is already good to go. More technical questions about ReaComp/Gate on ambisonic tracks below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
If neither multi-mono or multi-stereo is enabled, the plugin will analyze all input channels together and apply the results of that analysis to each channel. What exactly it means to analyze all channels together depends on the plugin.
Ah, okay this was what I was unclear about. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
For ReaComp, a sidechain input is only available if the plugin is not in multi-mono or multi-stereo mode, and the compression based on that single sidechain will be applied to all channels
So then for using ReaComp/Gate on an ambisonic track (where detection should only be based on the W/omni channel), we'd set the Detector Input to "Auxiliary" (in non-multi-mono/stereo mode), then route the I/O pin to route Input 1 into the Auxiliary inputs? *OR* simply set Detector Input" in the UI to "Main Input 1"? Would that still apply Input 1 as the detector for all N channels?
Old 09-15-2021, 12:09 PM   #19
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPBaker View Post
So then for using ReaComp/Gate on an ambisonic track (where detection should only be based on the W/omni channel), we'd set the Detector Input to "Auxiliary" (in non-multi-mono/stereo mode), then route the I/O pin to route Input 1 into the Auxiliary inputs? *OR* simply set Detector Input" in the UI to "Main Input 1"? Would that still apply Input 1 as the detector for all N channels?
If you have a 9-channel ambisonic signal, you can set the plug-in channel dropdown to 9 channels in the plug-in pin connector dialog. That will actually set ReaComp to accept up to 11 channels, where channels 10+11 are the optional stereo sidechain input. But you don't need to use the sidechain, you can just choose main input 1 as the detector input in the plugin itself, as you say.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:13 PM   #20
EvilDragon

Can somebody explain what do we get with the MIDIEditor_EnumTakes() thing, not functionally, but what's the benefits?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:11 PM   #21
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Can somebody explain what do we get with the MIDIEditor_EnumTakes() thing, not functionally, but what's the benefits?
looks like we'll be able to write reascript wrappers for some of these MIDI editor actions that only work on the active take, and make them run through all visible (hopefully editable) MIDI instead.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:12 PM   #22
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
At the moment it returns visible takes, which by itself is not very useful. However, once it is updated to return *editable* takes, the function will enable scripts to edit all editable items together. (Instead of forcing users to manually apply the script to each item one-by-one.)

In the native workflow of the MIDI editor, users expect editing actions to apply to all editable takes, and if an action doesn't, users get frustrated. Similarly, scripts should be able to edit all editable takes.

(In the long run, we hope to get functions to *set* the editable/visible state of takes too. My favorite application would be to provide MIDI editor "screensets" so that users with huge orchestral templates can store and recall the editable/visible state of dozens of tracks with single click.)
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:34 PM   #23
nofish

Quote:
Thanks.

Quote:
At the moment it returns visible takes, which by itself is not very useful. However, once it is updated to return *editable* takes, the function will enable scripts to edit all editable items together.
+1

as a sidenote: From the current API description 'list the takes that are currently being edited in this MIDI editor' I assumed it already does return editable (as opposed to visible) takes.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:31 PM   #24
daniellumertz

Quote:
(In the long run, we hope to get functions to *set* the editable/visible state of takes too. My favorite application would be to provide MIDI editor "screensets" so that users with huge orchestral templates can store and recall the editable/visible state of dozens of tracks with single click.)
that would be a great script js very good idea! set it would definitely be nice!
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:35 AM   #25
Mercado_Negro

Since there's some work on ReaPlugs it would be nice if ReaEQ had a slope of 4.5 for the analyzer and maybe a configurable setting for average or max.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:45 AM   #26
Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
it would be nice if ReaEQ had a slope of 4.5 for the analyzer
It already has! Right-click -> Analyzer slope: 4.5 dB/ octave
Zeno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:53 AM   #27
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
It already has! Right-click -> Analyzer slope: 4.5 dB/ octave
Whoa! When did this happen? Thanks!
Old 09-16-2021, 01:44 PM   #28
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Whoa! When did this happen? Thanks!
v5.961 - October 19 2018
ReaEQ and ReaXcomp: options to increase band handle size, use 3dB or 4.5dB/octave slope on analyzer.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:49 PM   #29
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
v5.961 - October 19 2018
ReaEQ and ReaXcomp: options to increase band handle size, use 3dB or 4.5dB/octave slope on analyzer.
crazy
Old 09-16-2021, 09:26 PM   #30
Joystick

Quote:
Multi-mono means the plugin is applying the same settings to each channel but processing each channel independently, as if the N-channel track actually had N separate mono plugins, all with the same parameter settings. Multi-stereo is the same but processing pairs of channels together, as if the N-channel track actually had N/2 separate stereo plugins. If neither multi-mono or multi-stereo is enabled, the plugin will analyze all input channels together and apply the results of that analysis to each channel. What exactly it means to analyze all channels together depends on the plugin. For ReaLimit, it means to calculate the necessary gain reduction to ensure that no single channel exceeds the brickwall ceiling, and then apply that gain reduction to all channels.

There are various special cases too. ReaEQ is effectively multi-mono by design, so it doesn't have separate multi-mono or multi-stereo options. For ReaComp, a sidechain input is only available if the plugin is not in multi-mono or multi-stereo mode, and the compression based on that single sidechain will be applied to all channels
That's super Schwa, having a sum of all channels to guide the plugins is essential for ambisonics.

May I suggest using a third term to describe when the sum of all input channels is used to drive the engine of the plugin?

Something like "Sum".

It would make more readable the choices:

Multi-Mono
Multi-Stereo
Sum

Something like that.
Joystick is offline   Reply With Quote