Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-25-2021, 08:57 AM   #1
windplayer
Human being with feelings

Default Akai LPD8-controller as Midi-on/off-switch

I want to use the akai LPD8-controller as midi controller to bypass effects in Reaper (s. attachment: bypass effect). So I use midi learn to attach pads of the controller in the reaper automation (s. attachments: automation bypass/reaper automation, midi ch. 9, CC command 90). This works fine.

The akai sends toggle-commands (this is fine, so I have an illuminated pad to see, if the effect is on).
But I have to press the controller twice to get the reaction I want.

1. pressing: pad is illuminated -> effect on (so far, everything is fine)
2. pressing: pad not illuminated -> effect still on
3. pressing: pad illuminated -> effect is off
4. pressing: pad not illuminated -> effect still off
5. pressing: see 1. pressing
(To see what is going on, I used Midiox, s. attachment: monitor input lpd8).

What I want, is this:
1. pressing: pad illuminated, effect on
2. pressing: pad not illuminated, effect off
3. pressing: see 1. pressing

Is this possible within reaper?
(I cannot change much things within the lpd8. You can only use "momentary" instead of "toggle", but then, there is only a short light when pressing the pad)

Last edited by windplayer; 11-02-2022 at 09:43 AM.
windplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:41 PM   #2
windplayer

No one with a smart answer?
(This would be the first time... )
Old 10-01-2021, 12:49 AM   #3
helgoboss

Do you know if this controller supports LED feedback via MIDI? That is, can you send MIDI messages to it and as a result the LED lights up or switches off? If yes, this would be perfect. ReaLearn could then make sure that the LED is set correctly at all times.

If it doesn't support LED feedback via MIDI, there's a setting in ReaLearn which lets you interpret each press of your "hardware-toggle button" as an "on" press. In that way you can achieve what you want, but you must take care that the hardware light doesn't go out of sync with the enabled/disabled state in REAPER. This setting is the "Character" dropdown in the "Source" section of the mapping. Set it to "Toggle-only button (avoid!)".
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 06:59 AM   #4
windplayer

Hey, Helgoboss! Thanks for your answer. But I did not get it right... :-(

"there's a setting in ReaLearn which lets you interpret each press of your "hardware-toggle button" as an "on" press."

I did not find this setting.

"This setting is the "Character" dropdown in the "Source" section of the mapping. Set it to "Toggle-only button (avoid!)"."

I do not find the Character-dropdown. Like you can see at the screenshot, there is a part of ReaLearn cut of at the right side. Perhaps, this is the cause?

I send you a screenshot, so you can see my current settings (which do not work).

Last edited by windplayer; 10-09-2021 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-02-2021, 11:04 AM   #5
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by windplayer View Post
Hey, Helgoboss! Thanks for your answer. But I did not get it right... :-(

"there's a setting in ReaLearn which lets you interpret each press of your "hardware-toggle button" as an "on" press."

I did not find this setting.

"This setting is the "Character" dropdown in the "Source" section of the mapping. Set it to "Toggle-only button (avoid!)"."

I do not find the Character-dropdown. Like you can see at the screenshot, there is a part of ReaLearn cut of at the right side. Perhaps, this is the cause?

I send you a screenshot, so you can see my current settings (which do not work).
Where did you get this version of ReaLearn? It looks very old. Make sure you have an up-to-date one. 2.10.3 I think. You can get it with ReaPack. See the installation instructions. Then you will find the source character.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:46 AM   #6
windplayer

I just updated ReaLearn, you were right, I did not have the actual ReaLearn-version!
(By the way, how is it possible to delete the older version? - I now have both versions listed in Reaper)

I made the settings, you recommended.
Now, the plugin switches to "bypass" after pressing the button (of the lpd8), but it does not activate the plugin again (also not by pressing the lpd8-button several times).

I send you a screenshot of ReaLearn, so you can see what I did...

Last edited by windplayer; 11-02-2022 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:20 PM   #7
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by windplayer View Post
I just updated ReaLearn, you were right, I did not have the actual ReaLearn-version!
(By the way, how is it possible to delete the older version? - I now have both versions listed in Reaper)

I made the settings, you recommended.
Now, the plugin switches to "bypass" after pressing the button (of the lpd8), but it does not activate the plugin again (also not by pressing the lpd8-button several times).

I send you a screenshot of ReaLearn, so you can see what I did...
You need to set "Mode" to "Toggle".

Uninstall of old version ... depends on how you installed it. If manually, just remove the DLL. If by installer, use the uninstaller (I assume you are on Windows?).
Old 10-09-2021, 10:52 PM   #8
windplayer

Yeah, now it works. Perfect, thank you very much!