v6.43+dev1223 - December 23 2021
  • * Includes feature branch: render internals simplification/cleanup
  • * Includes feature branch: user-defined action overhaul
  • * Includes feature branch: media item normalization
  • * Includes feature branch: media explorer toolbar
  • * Includes feature branch: media item fixed lanes
  • * Includes feature branch: JSFX internals overhaul/cleanup/modernization
  • * Includes feature branch: Windows very long pathname support
  • + Actions window: improve sizing behavior with langpack-adjusted button sizes
  • + Custom actions: fix certain characters being entered on macOS [t=249471]
  • + Keyboard: fix various cross-platform key aliasing corner cases
  • + Media explorer: improve selection behavior on Windows after navigating with arrow keys
  • + Media items: when normalizing multiple items to an integrated loudness value, support either normalizing each item separately or normalizing the combined (sequential) output of all items
  • + Media: fix adjusting media to tempo suggested by filename or metadata when inserting via action
  • + Razor edits: do not delete/cut/copy razor edits when cursor focus is on track control panels
  • # Actions: fix UTF-8 support for actions list/actions editor
  • # Actions: workaround SWS issue, SWS should be updated to not unregister IDs it doesn't own (or not unregister IDs at all, really)
  • # Keyboard: improve default shortcut definitions for MIDI editor channel selection
  • # Media item lanes: fix oversensitivity of items moving between lanes when mouse editing
  • # Media items: fix action to reset take gain to +0dB
  • # Media items: normalize all takes in a media item if "play all takes" is enabled
  • # Preferences: reword preferences for importing media with embedded tempo information
  • # ReaEQ: fix parallel band pass selection via menu
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
sockmonkey72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 09:22 AM   #2
sockmonkey72
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
  • + Keyboard: fix various cross-platform key aliasing
  • # Keyboard: improve default shortcut definitions for MIDI editor channel selection
What I see now:

I guess this is an improvement in the sense of WYSIWYG.

I still feel like this is inconsistent with how keys like LEFT/RIGHT (arrows), or Mouse Modifiers etc. are handled with various key modifiers. And, of course, I'm probably just bitching because this doesn't help me solve my personal issue of moving between different keyboard layouts. :-)

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2021, 09:39 AM   #3
bFooz

Quote:
# Media items: normalize all takes in a media item if "play all takes" is enabled
Slightly offtopic - it would be nice if all takes were highlighted when "play all takes" is on, because they play all.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 09:52 AM   #4
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
What I see now:

I guess this is an improvement in the sense of WYSIWYG.

I still feel like this is inconsistent with how keys like LEFT/RIGHT (arrows), or Mouse Modifiers etc. are handled with various key modifiers. And, of course, I'm probably just bitching because this doesn't help me solve my personal issue of moving between different keyboard layouts. :-)

Thanks!
The choices are:
1) 6.43 behavior
2) this
3) remove the default bindings

#3 will create an order of magnitude more complaints, I'd imagine
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 09:57 AM   #5
Phazma

Quote:
[*]+ Custom actions: fix certain characters being entered on macOS [t=249471]
Thanks!

Quote:
[*] * Includes feature branch: media item normalization[*]# Media items: fix action to reset take gain to +0dB
Since a long time I have been using the action "Xenakios/SWS: Toggle selected take normalized/unity gain" assigned to a shortcut to toggle a take's gain from no gain adjustment to 0dB peak normalization.

Now I have immediately noticed that something is off when trying to normalize an item which was below 0dB peak and the gain has been reduced instead of increased. I checked the media item's normalization button and in fact noticed that LUFS-I was selected (probably still from my test yesterday) and the item gain indeed matched that value.

Also, it now displays some kind of rendering progress window, which it didn't do in past and which to me looks a bit unneccesarily clunky:

I do appreciate the new flexibility of being able to normalize to all kinds of loudnesses but I don't want to miss the old behavior either.

Personally, if it stays like this, I will probably find some way with custom actions/scripts/cycle actions to restore the old behavior but I mainly want to point out that the current implementation changes behavior of one (and potentially several more) actions which people might have grown used to and this could lead to confusion.

I thus suggest that you might want to take extra care with the implementation of the new normalization feature for not changing behaviors of older actions which assume the old way normalization worked (perhaps keep the old way somewhere under the hood to be accessed by such actions).
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 09:59 AM   #6
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
The choices are:
1) 6.43 behavior
2) this

Well, I wasn't specifically concerned about these particular keyboard commands, but about the way keyboard shortcuts/modifiers are being handled in general, such that Shift-3 could mean Shift+3, rather than being strictly mapped to # or § or whatever it is in other layouts.

I think you understood that; your list of choices doesn't include "redesign keyboard handling code", so I guess that's not a choice! :-)

I'm just going to buy a silicon US keyboard overlay for my German keyboard and stop complaining. :-) Life is too short to solve every problem.
Old 12-23-2021, 12:14 PM   #7
AZpercussion

+ Media items: when normalizing multiple items to an integrated loudness value, support either normalizing each item separately or normalizing the combined (sequential) output of all items

+ Razor edits: do not delete/cut/copy razor edits when cursor focus is on track control panels

Awesome!! That's what I really wished in last project.
AZpercussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 01:44 PM   #8
airon

Quote:
  • * Includes feature branch: media item normalization
Neat. Very neat in fact, and it's quite a bit faster than the SWS function.

The normalization window called with the action Item properties: Normalize items (peak/RMS/LUFS)..., when you pick LUFS-I , shows LU next to the value box, but it's actually LUFS that Reaper uses. 0 LU would be -23 LUFS, so I'd suggest placing LUFS to the right of the entry box instead of LU, just to avoid confusion. It also makes it less work for folks producing audio books, podcasts and mixes for various streaming services that use LUFS values.

LU is almost entirely used by broadcasting. LUFS is used everywhere.

Happy holidays. Take a break .
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 03:04 PM   #9
mabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
The choices are:
1) 6.43 behavior
2) this

At last, this pre seems to show correctly all combinations of keypad keys with the various Alt, Ctrl, Shift qualifiers with Italian KB - with and without Num lock. What's wrong with it?

Thanks,
Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:45 PM   #10
_Stevie_

Quote:
Well, I wasn't specifically concerned about these particular keyboard commands, but about the way keyboard shortcuts/modifiers are being handled in general, such that Shift-3 could mean Shift+3, rather than being strictly mapped to # or § or whatever it is in other layouts.
Yeah, I agree.
Old 12-23-2021, 06:10 PM   #11
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
At last, this pre seems to show correctly all combinations of keypad keys with the various Alt, Ctrl, Shift qualifiers with Italian KB - with and without Num lock. What's wrong with it?

Thanks,
Mario
unrelated to that discussion
Old 12-23-2021, 08:46 PM   #12
Nixon

Ehm I can perfectly null a track with parallel band pass with a track with normal band pass. Shouldn't there be in any differences? Haven't checked the build before.
Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 11:04 PM   #13
Zmey79

Default Render Error

I'm trying to render one file, but for some reason 2 files are being rendered.
All settings are, of course, correct.
Zmey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 01:58 AM   #14
Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
Ehm I can perfectly null a track with parallel band pass with a track with normal band pass. Shouldn't there be in any differences? Haven't checked the build before.
Add another parallel band pass in a second tab at a different frequency, and then change one of them back to a regular band pass, and you should see the difference.
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 02:04 AM   #15
Tale

Default ReaEQ parallel band pass GUI nitpick

The handle (circle) for a regular ReaEQ band pass in always displayed at 0 dB, but for a parallel band pass it moves depending on the gain value. AFAIK both band pass types don't use gain, so IMO it would make more sense if the parallel band pass also displayed its handle fixed at 0 dB.
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 03:10 AM   #16
amagalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmey79 View Post
I'm trying to render one file, but for some reason 2 files are being rendered.
All settings are, of course, correct.

I have the same problem, even with the official v6.43 version .. Something broke?
Old 12-24-2021, 03:13 AM   #17
Nixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tale View Post
Add another parallel band pass in a second tab at a different frequency, and then change one of them back to a regular band pass, and you should see the difference.
Thanks Tale now I see, Merry Christmas
Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 03:49 AM   #18
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
I thus suggest that you might want to take extra care with the implementation of the new normalization feature for not changing behaviors of older actions which assume the old way normalization worked (perhaps keep the old way somewhere under the hood to be accessed by such actions).
Got to agree here. I have scripts that use the old action to get file max peak information. (The normalize function is much faster than going through peaks of PCM_Source_GetPeaks in lua). This new dialog is definitely annoying...

Maybe it's worth considering to only start showing the dialog if processing time exceeds 100 ms or so? I'm sure some people would also appreciate this for the "glue MIDI" dialog (link to a FR).

For me at least, the best solution would be API access to the new normalization methods (maybe similar to buildpeaks?). But I'm guessing it might be a bit too soon for that.
Old 12-24-2021, 04:13 AM   #19
FeedTheCat

I was trying to check how LUFS-S and LUFS-I works when normalizing items shorter than 3 seconds. I noticed the following behavior:

It seems like normalization considers the start of the visible section, but not the end. Looks like it always processes to the end of the source file. Is that intended? What if the source file is long and contains a loud section at the very end?
Old 12-24-2021, 04:15 AM   #20
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
Maybe it's worth considering to only start showing the dialog if processing time exceeds 100 ms or so? I'm sure some people would also appreciate this for the "glue MIDI" dialog (link to a FR).
In fact, the dialog when gluing MIDI items is similarly clunky and useless. The 100ms rule sounds like a good idea for such cases.
Old 12-24-2021, 04:23 AM   #21
Desa

Default Render Error

It's rendering 2 files because the option 'secondary output format' is always set every time the render window is opened and must be deselected every time.
'Save settings' doesn't work.
Desa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 04:23 AM   #22
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
It seems like normalization considers the start of the visible section, but not the end. Looks like it always processes to the end of the source file. Is that intended? What if the source file is long and contains a loud section at the very end?
In my opinion it should calculate processing based on only the visible part of an item. But calculating processing based on the entire source media of an item can be useful as well in some cases and perhaps worth a preference/option or a different set of actions.

In any case, calculating the processing based on the visible part + invisible end but - invisible start is inconsistent and confusing and I think it can be safely assumed it is not what most users want/expect.
Old 12-24-2021, 05:18 AM   #23
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
I have the same problem, even with the official v6.43 version .. Something broke?
I'm not immediately able to reproduce a problem with the secondary render. Does it happen in a new project, or only in existing projects?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 06:53 AM   #24
Desa

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I'm not immediately able to reproduce a problem with the secondary render. Does it happen in a new project, or only in existing projects?
Both of them.
Old 12-24-2021, 06:54 AM   #25
schwa
Administrator

Do you have a default project set? If so can you post it or email to support at cockos?
Old 12-24-2021, 07:06 AM   #26
Desa

Quote:
Do you have a default project set? If so can you post it or email to support at cockos?
Sent to support@cockos.com
Old 12-24-2021, 07:30 AM   #27
schwa
Administrator

Thanks for sending the project. If I open the project directly, then open the render dialog and chose "no secondary output" for the secondary output format, save settings and save the project, then it no longer has a secondary output set when I reopen the project. Are you seeing something different?

[edit] never mind, the current +dev build does incorrectly set the secondary render format. Fixing, thanks for the report.

Last edited by schwa; 12-24-2021 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-24-2021, 08:48 AM   #28
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tale View Post
The handle (circle) for a regular ReaEQ band pass in always displayed at 0 dB, but for a parallel band pass it moves depending on the gain value. AFAIK both band pass types don't use gain, so IMO it would make more sense if the parallel band pass also displayed its handle fixed at 0 dB.
good catch, thanks
Old 12-24-2021, 09:50 AM   #29
amagalma

Quote:

It happens only with projects created with (or saved by) this dev version.
Old 12-24-2021, 10:13 AM   #30
Phazma

Here a weird issue that happened to me while recording in this dev build. I don't think it is related so I posted in general, but decided to link to the thread here anyway to err on the side of caution.
Old 12-24-2021, 03:24 PM   #31
BPBaker

Quote:
[*]+ Media items: when normalizing multiple items to an integrated loudness value, support either normalizing each item separately or normalizing the combined (sequential) output of all items
I feel like Christmas came early this year. This feature is going to SO helpful for radio/podcast and post production. Thanks!
BPBaker is offline   Reply With Quote