v6.49+dev0228 - February 28 2022
  • * Includes feature branch: media explorer pitch detection
  • * Includes feature branch: media explorer user-defined tags
  • * Includes feature branch: improved peak building
  • * Includes feature branch: batch converter improvements
  • * Includes feature branch: improved zoomed-in peaks performance
  • * Includes feature branch: FX chain oversampling
  • * Includes feature branch: media item fixed lanes
  • + FX parameters: fix incorrect encoding of cockos VST parameter hints with spaces (6.48 regression)
  • + Metadata: support embedding images in ogg, opus files when rendering or converting
  • + VST: fix some misbehaving UI sizing plugins [p=2531463]
  • # FX oversampling: update menus in fx + menu
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 02-28-2022, 03:06 PM   #2
Freiin
Human being with feelings

[*]+ Metadata: support embedding images in ogg, opus files when rendering or converting[*][b]

This is really handy! Thanks, devs

https://www.youtube.com/BlackDollMurder
Freiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 10:21 PM   #3
Joe90

I've been loving the media explorer changes in the recent dev builds. Thank you.

I know I've brought this up before, but I'm going to give it one last hurrah before you move on from M.E updates -

Please, PLEASE consider giving us the ability to auto-create new track(s) at the mouse cursor position when dragging and dropping media items from the media explorer (a mouse modifier would work).

1) It really is faster and more intuitive, especially on large projects. I know we can create empty tracks in the spot we want and then drag and drop onto those, but we often don't know how many samples we're going to be grabbing before we go exploring, and it's just one more thing to remember, along with making sure the edit cursor is at your desired import point, which brings me on to point 2...

2) Drag and drop would also give us the most tactile control of where the item is placed horizontally on the timeline, without having to prepare an empty track in advance or line up the edit cursor appropriately.

REAPER already auto-creates a track at mouse cursor position when you drag and drop a track template, and it already lets you drag and drop a media item to a specific spot in the timeline as long as you're dropping it on an existing track, you can even drop an item onto empty space at the bottom of the arrange window and it will auto-create a track and let you place the item horizontally, so this feels like a relatively simple extension of those functions that already exist (spoken like someone who is NOT a developer, I know).

Please consider it before you move on from M.E updates.

Thank you!
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 02:23 AM   #4
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I've been loving the media explorer changes in the recent dev builds. Thank you.

I know I've brought this up before, but I'm going to give it one last hurrah before you move on from M.E updates -

Please, PLEASE consider giving us the ability to auto-create new track(s) at the mouse cursor position when dragging and dropping media items from the media explorer (a mouse modifier would work).

1) It really is faster and more intuitive, especially on large projects. I know we can create empty tracks in the spot we want and then drag and drop onto those, but we often don't know how many samples we're going to be grabbing before we go exploring, and it's just one more thing to remember, along with making sure the edit cursor is at your desired import point, which brings me on to point 2...

2) Drag and drop would also give us the most tactile control of where the item is placed horizontally on the timeline, without having to prepare an empty track in advance or line up the edit cursor appropriately.

REAPER already auto-creates a track at mouse cursor position when you drag and drop a track template, and it already lets you drag and drop a media item to a specific spot in the timeline as long as you're dropping it on an existing track, you can even drop an item onto empty space at the bottom of the arrange window and it will auto-create a track and let you place the item horizontally, so this feels like a relatively simple extension of those functions that already exist (spoken like someone who is NOT a developer, I know).

Thank you!
+1 :-)
mozart999uk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 03:39 AM   #5
musicbynumbers

Default could recent lists ignore previous incremental saves over the same project name?"

A massive quality of life thing for me regarding the recents list and the startup project select list would be the below if possible

I don't save undo's with the projects and tend to instead just use "save new version of project" a lot so I normally end up with say 80 incremental saves for each project. For me is a more concrete way of getting back to a certain state of the project without a very large (size wise) undo list and also in case a project corrupts too.

What would be amazing is.. that each time I incremented a save on a project so say it went from "_1" to "_2". Would you be able to have an option whereby the older "_1" project was then removed from the recent lists so that when I start reaper, I only see the last saved for each project and don't have to navigate a sea of previous saves to get to completely different projects I worked on a few days earlier or to "scan" it a few times to make sure I'm loading the latest?

If that was possible, it would be amazing. I did try using the auto incremental backup stuff but it didn't work as well for me at the time as save as new because I tend to save over the same project a lot whilst working on the small stuff (by using "control and S" and then use "save as incremental" when doing some big change to the project. If I did use the "when overwriting project files, rename old project to .rpp-bak" I'd end up with loads more projects then I get now

Thanks!

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 03-01-2022 at 03:47 AM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 05:12 AM   #6
mccrabney

Quote:
* Includes feature branch: improved peak building
may i ask, regarding this/peaks building in general -- and sorry if this is outside the scope of what you're doing with peaks right now:

when peaks are being built in the Media Explorer, clicking around the waveform preview results in this: peakbuilding stops and restarts. why is this?

it seems to me that this peak "refresh" is unnecessary -- the peak is going to be the same, no matter where in the waveform it's previewing from. it's not like the peak starts building from the clicked position. NOTE: moving the pitch knob also results in this issue. strangely, changing the playback rate does not.

i preview a ton of side A/side B flac and mp3 recordings of old vinyl/tape rips, using the waveform to clue me in on what are visibly obvious drum sections, interesting atmosphere, or soloed instrument parts. this means that i must wait for the peak to be finished before browsing the file (sometimes 30 seconds to a minute of waiting -- the demonstration file below is of a shorter mp3, but the issue is still very noticeable):

conversely, when i click and drag the same file into the project, peakbuilding is not interrupted by clicking around the waveform/re-starting playback from different positions -- unless the media explorer is still open

this issue has led me in the past to request setting folders to be "peak-aware," actively monitored whenever REAPER is open, so that peaks are pre-built and ready to go once i begin consuming the folder. while this would still be handy for very large files, i would prefer to get to the bottom of why media explorer peaks restart from the beginning when you restart playback from different sections.

Last edited by mccrabney; 03-01-2022 at 05:52 AM.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 05:22 AM   #7
mccrabney

in making that last post, i finally tracked down a bug where peakbuilding is interrupted and does not resume in Arrange, requiring a run of the "rebuild peaks" action.

1) open MX, browse to a folder where peaks are not yet built
2) preview an audio file in MX (use one that is ~4 mins long so you have time to do the next step). in the gif: i preview "1-badmington.mp3"
3) while peaks are being built for this track, drag it into Arrange
4) NOTE: peaks restart being built
5) click around the sample in MX: NOTE: peaks restart being built
6) don't let them finish. click to the next file in MX. in the gif, i preview "2- si kayaban.mp3"
7) ISSUE: peaks disappear in the file dragged into Arrange.
8) drag another file into Arrange. NOTE: peakbuilding is restarted in the first file you dragged into arrange.
Old 03-01-2022, 06:29 AM   #8
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
when peaks are being built in the Media Explorer, clicking around the waveform preview results in this: peakbuilding stops and restarts. why is this?
I can't reproduce this, clicking in the peaks area or changing the playback pitch doesn't restart peaks building for me. Do you have a custom peaks path set or any other relevant customizations?

[edit] never mind, Justin reproduced and fixed!

Last edited by schwa; 03-01-2022 at 10:30 AM.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:59 AM   #9
richie43

Default Oversampling

I may need to read up on the details about the oversampling, so I apologize if this is incorrect. I noticed that the instance and chain oversampling options have changed from "2x" and so on to specific sample rates. When I go through my chains and plugins in a project that is 44.1 and select to oversample to 96, anything Acustica Audio oversamples to 88, not 96.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:21 AM   #10
andyp24

While you're working on Media Explorer improvements, is it possible to add Actions and/or script function to insert selected track (or selected area of track) from the Media Explorer into the Playlist on selected track/cursor position?

I don't think this is possible at the moment.

Many thanks for considering.
Andy
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 10:25 AM   #11
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
A massive quality of life thing for me regarding the recents list and the startup project select list would be the below if possible

I don't save undo's with the projects and tend to instead just use "save new version of project" a lot so I normally end up with say 80 incremental saves for each project. For me is a more concrete way of getting back to a certain state of the project without a very large (size wise) undo list and also in case a project corrupts too.

What would be amazing is.. that each time I incremented a save on a project so say it went from "_1" to "_2". Would you be able to have an option whereby the older "_1" project was then removed from the recent lists so that when I start reaper, I only see the last saved for each project and don't have to navigate a sea of previous saves to get to completely different projects I worked on a few days earlier or to "scan" it a few times to make sure I'm loading the latest?

If that was possible, it would be amazing. I did try using the auto incremental backup stuff but it didn't work as well for me at the time as save as new because I tend to save over the same project a lot whilst working on the small stuff (by using "control and S" and then use "save as incremental" when doing some big change to the project. If I did use the "when overwriting project files, rename old project to .rpp-bak" I'd end up with loads more projects then I get now

Thanks!
Same same here! would love this and option to keep recent projects with last saved and not last open as i told some pre before. At this time "recent projects" is a big mess for my workflow.
Some of my Requests : Pre Chain and Post Chain : Midi input reaching take instrument : Alias names for sends : Hide Specific sends on Sends Panel/TCP/MCP : please take care of the small workflow details ...
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 02:11 PM   #12
kindafishy

Justin or schwa,

For FX OS, maybe can we have the option of marking an individual FX to ALWAYS use a particular target (and it should be applied immediately before it is first initialized)?

I'm still trying to find away around the Nebula problem. The issue with Nebula is that it appears to need the sample rate reported to it at the time it is added to a track. If it always thinks it is 96 regardless of the project sample rate at the time it is added, it should work.

There might be other plugins that misbehave in this way, so this might be of benefit in other situations too.

...or as another option, how about after setting a per-FX OS rate, we can have the ability to re-initialize it so it thinks it is being added for the first time?
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 04:49 AM   #13
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
[edit] never mind, Justin reproduced and fixed!
huge thanks to you both for looking at this
Old 03-02-2022, 12:26 PM   #14
HighVoltage

I try this again.

If you use the search/filter in Media Explorer, the favorites tag don't show on any file.

While you are in a filtered list and add a Fav marking, and then change the filter to something, it retains the Fav marking, but as soon you clear the search and enter a string again, the Fav markings are not there.

I think it would be crucial to be able use the filter on folders, and have your favorites grouped.

I can already do this by adding a 'Fav' Custom tag to the files, and then filter for 'fav', but that is way more complicated, and makes me wonder why is there a special Favourite column in the first place, if you can't filter for it.
HighVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 01:10 PM   #15
HighVoltage

Also a small request for a dedicated action for "Browse to folder" (when right clicking on a file in the list)
HighVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 04:20 PM   #16
lavmort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post

Thank you!
+1, would love to see that in reaper. can you create a feature request?
lavmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 05:35 AM   #17
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavmort View Post
+1, would love to see that in reaper. can you create a feature request?
I'm sure I have, or someone else did and I +1'd it.

I've brought it up enough here that I'm sure the devs are aware, the ball is in their court.

I just give them a hopeful nudge every few months and hope that the annoyingly squeaky wheel gets the grease
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote