• * Includes feature branch: media explorer user-defined tags
  • * Includes feature branch: improved peak building
  • * Includes feature branch: FX chain oversampling
  • * Includes feature branch: media item fixed lanes
  • + Free item positioning: fix minor time selection display issue [p=2538153]
  • + Media explorer: fix context menu issues when opened via keystroke
  • + Media item lanes: allow pencil-drawing media item in add-item area
  • # Media item lanes: fix minor time selection display issue [p=2538153]
  • # Media item lanes: fix moving media items from non-lane tracks to lane tracks [p=2538165]
  • # Render: fix blank spots in loudness graph
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 03-18-2022, 02:29 PM   #2
vitalker
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
[*]+ Media item lanes: allow pencil-drawing media item in add-item area
Perfect, thank you! Works as expected.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 02:38 PM   #3
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
v6.51+dev0318 - March 18 2022[*]+ Media item lanes: allow pencil-drawing media item in add-item area
Awesomeness!!

There's still an issue with time selection and lines when i move an item to another track, the lines appear only inside time selection, then as soon as i click on that item the lines reappear again.

Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 02:39 PM   #4
vitalker

I'll duplicate my post from previous thread.

Is it possible to show all the lanes while dragging, no matter which lane is item dragged from? Now dragging from lane 1 won't allow creating a new lane on other track. From lane 2 it will allow to insert upto lane 3 (including filler line) etc.

Old 03-18-2022, 02:56 PM   #5
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Awesomeness!!

There's still an issue with time selection and lines when i move an item to another track, the lines appear only inside time selection, then as soon as i click on that item the lines reappear again.
That's actually because of the theme. The default theme has the "track divider line" elements set to the same colors as the "track background" elements, so the lines are only visible when the background is a different color, either because the track is selected or because there is a time selection set. We can change the line colors to be slightly different so they are always visible.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 02:59 PM   #6
Vagelis

Quote:
There's still an issue with time selection and lines when i move an item to another track
Is it intentional to show the lines on tracks with fixed lanes only to the selected track?

If so i think it would be better if the lines were visible in all tracks with fixed lanes at the same time, because if i want to move an item to a another track at some point in the timeline where there are no items and I can't see the lines on this track, it would be difficult to guess the lane number that I want to move the item to.
Old 03-18-2022, 03:02 PM   #7
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
We can change the line colors to be slightly different so they are always visible.
Thanks that would be nice, I also posted about it a few minutes later
Old 03-19-2022, 03:50 AM   #8
Vagelis

I have set up lanes to collapse at 70px and hide add-area at 50px, with draw labels above the item.
When media lanes collapse, the lines are still visible and then because of the different settings, when they are collapsed the item appears on lane add-area too, which makes it impossible to draw on it. (happens also with draw labels within the item)
I was wondering, maybe collapse lanes and hide add-area should be attached together?
I also think that the lines should be hidden when the lanes collapse because only a single lane is visible.

Old 03-19-2022, 04:04 AM   #9
Vagelis

There's also another issue when hiding the lane-add area before the lanes are collapsed or if they do not collapse at all.
I have set the lane add-area to hide at 100px and lanes at 0
There are 7 lanes in my gif, when the lane add-area collapse, the item on last lane is being moved on lane-add area, which now is the 8th lane.
Now when i'm trying to draw on the 7th lane the item is being drawn on 8th lane, drawing on 6th lane it shows up on 7th lane etc..
So I think hiding the lane add-area should not create an extra lane.

Also I can draw 2 items in lane add-area when it's collapsed

Last edited by Vagelis; 03-19-2022 at 04:20 AM.
Old 03-19-2022, 04:08 AM   #10
Vagelis

And just by curiosity, would it be difficult to add a button on TCP to set the fixed lanes on/off?
Old 03-19-2022, 04:34 AM   #11
vitalker

Quote:
And just by curiosity, would it be difficult to add a button on TCP to set the fixed lanes on/off?
Makes sense, yes. Because users won't know about this feature like about many more.
Old 03-19-2022, 09:30 AM   #12
Loulou92

on TCP, or arrange view .
Loulou92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 10:34 AM   #13
deeb

Quote:
and freeze , and many other things... TCP tool bar?
Old 03-19-2022, 10:36 AM   #14
JRTaylorMusic

Quote:
I really like this idea. Also, I am trying to understand the intended behavior for media items when toggling Fixed lanes. Does it change or is it only visual?
JRTaylorMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 10:49 AM   #15
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTaylorMusic View Post
I really like this idea. Also, I am trying to understand the intended behavior for media items when toggling Fixed lanes. Does it change or is it only visual?
Not only visual, but what is your question exactly?
Old 03-19-2022, 11:28 AM   #16
JRTaylorMusic

sorry if I got ahead of myself!
Does toggling fixed on/off change the sound? Does it depend on other settings like “trim behind when editing”?

If I’m working in Fixed Lanes but only want to view a single lane at a time, how?
JRTaylorMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 11:35 AM   #17
Dubnick

Love seeing progress on the fixed item lanes. Thank you for keeping up on this.

Few things:

- the switching between lanes is nice and smooth.

- I still maintain that "Play only this take" should be on by default. After doing a bunch of cycle recording, no one in their right mind expects or wants to hear all the takes play back at once.

- is there any consideration to the idea of graphic interface of the fixed lanes being closer to the takes approach in that, once the number of lanes/takes is too big to be clearly visible within the track size it could collapse into a stacked view? It's too unwieldy and unhelpful visually if the only option is to see all takes at once all the time. Would rather be able to manually change that view or have it automatically change views based on track size/population.

- how about being able to just choose the type of view you want - either stacked (so only the active take/lane is on top) or "expanded" (which would be the way it is now)? This is the way it is in PT with waveform (stacked) or playlist (expanded) views. You choose whichever is most useful to you in the moment and there is a perfectly workable way of comping either way you choose. Would love to see this in Reaper's variation.

- am I missing something or is there still no workflow laid out for the comping aspect of the fixed lane system? Makes it really hard to put the workflow to an actual test or offer helpful feedback because half of the reason people want fixed lanes (or playlists or track versions or track alternatives) is to make both their tracking and comping life easier.

So far it's beautiful not having to deal with unneeded cuts in audio when punching in, but once you've done a bunch of recording, you want to comp. Is that aspect coming or is it already there and I am missing it?

Last edited by Dubnick; 03-19-2022 at 04:58 PM.
Dubnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 12:42 PM   #18
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTaylorMusic View Post
sorry if I got ahead of myself!
Does toggling fixed on/off change the sound? Does it depend on other settings like “trim behind when editing”?

If I’m working in Fixed Lanes but only want to view a single lane at a time, how?
You can check that by yourself. I guess if you have items on same lane, then yes.

For now you'll see all of them, but the feature is not ready, so who knows.
Old 03-19-2022, 03:59 PM   #19
ferropop

Solo Markers were in a pre for a day or two. They acted just like swipe-comping (when grouped!), ie: they worked just like splits-and-takes but with all the benefits of lanes!

imo this should be the only behaviour possible, but totally get how leaving it open makes many workflows possible. Just find it hard to imagine a situation where you want to hear multiple lanes at the same time when comping - and even then this could be achieved by allowing Soloing of Multiple Lanes, while forcing track-wide solo markers in all other circumstances.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 04:59 PM   #20
Dubnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Solo Markers were in a pre for a day or two. They acted just like swipe-comping (when grouped!), ie: they worked just like splits-and-takes but with all the benefits of lanes!

imo this should be the only behaviour possible, but totally get how leaving it open makes many workflows possible. Just find it hard to imagine a situation where you want to hear multiple lanes at the same time when comping - and even then this could be achieved by allowing Soloing of Multiple Lanes, while forcing track-wide solo markers in all other circumstances.
Agree 100 percent with that last part.
Dubnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 09:38 AM   #21
Phazma

Still hoping that the import media between tracks feature will at some point be compatible also with themes that have very small minimum track heights.

Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 08:55 PM   #22
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
Still hoping that the import media between tracks feature will at some point be compatible also with themes that have very small minimum track heights.

This is what a hotkey to "force between items while dragging" would be really useful for (if you want to use it!).
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 11:34 AM   #23
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
This is what a hotkey to "force between items while dragging" would be really useful for (if you want to use it!).
I don't know.. in S1 for example they managed to make it work entirely on UI level without modifiers even for very small tracks. Works very intuitively. Here is how it looks like:

I am sure in some way or the other also for Reaper the devs could come up with a graphical representation of the process that works for tracks at any size without the need of introducing a modifier.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote